Wolaver's (Organic) Pumpkin Ale | Otter Creek Brewing

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-08-2008

1.4/5  rDev -59.5%

1.5/5  rDev -56.6%

1.61/5  rDev -53.5%

12oz bottle. Not my favorite wolavers product. Too much spice and not enough body. Not balanced and thin. I'm not sure that I expected from this one, orgainic pumpkin for one, but wolavers being so expensive I thought I'd be getting something better. This is the worst pumpkin I've had, even worse than shipyards yawn-boring pumpkin that everyone loves.

2.2/5  rDev -36.4%

2.21/5  rDev -36.1%

A: Orange copper golden color. Clear with very minimal amount of head.

S: Very light in the spice department and no detectable pumpkin.
Small amounts of cinnamon and nutmeg. A touch of caramel and not much else.

T: I get sour cinnamon. No sweetness and small bitterness. No pumpkin once again. There's a funky flavor that I can't put my finger on but it's unpleasant.

M: Weak watery and flat. Not much else to say.

Overall: Not a pleasant beer by any stretch of the imagination. Little spice and no pumpkin to be found. This is the worst pumpkin beer I've had. Definitely don't reccomend.

2.24/5  rDev -35.3%

this is overpowered by ginger fallowed by an obnoxious wave of cinimmon. the pumpkin was slightly present but was bland and lost in the great wave of spice. this is by far the worst pumpkin ale that i have ever had, this is also the first drain pour that i have had in a long time, you should never try this one ever

2.25/5  rDev -35%

2.25/5  rDev -35%

2.26/5  rDev -34.7%

Poured cloudy amber from the three month old bottle. Nice big off-white head and lot's of lacings. Aroma is mild pumpkin pie.
Tatse is tart and bitter hops, some pumpkin pie spice and then it turns very sour. I gave a small sip to my wife without saying anything about and her comment was it tastes like someone dumped in a bottle of perfume.
If you like sour beers give this a try. Not me thanks.

2.26/5  rDev -34.7%

A_Pours a light bronze with a big soapy two fingered head. Retention is not too good as it quickly dissipates to a small cap. Lacing is decent.

S_The aroma is redolent of cloves. There is a minor cinnamon and ginger presence but the clove dominates.

T_Fairly light tasting from start to finish, this beer simply does not bring it. The first inital sip is very mildy sweet, then there is a bit of the spice mixture mentioned above. The clove dominates the other spices here as well. However the spices are mild. The finish is mildy mineral. The aftertaste leaves a bit of clove burn. The pumpkin flavour seems to be absent.

M_Very light bodied with a stinging carbonation.

D_Not very good at all. The flavours are mild and what there is dissipates quickly. Really not what I was looking for as an after dinner pumpkin beer. I really should just stick with DFH Pumpkin and ST Pumpking when I have the urge for the style.

2.32/5  rDev -32.9%

a- Chill-hazed light orange color. One finger head that reduces to a light covering before long. A bit of lacing.

s- lots of pumpkin, spice, and pumpkin pie (I guess the previous two combined really make up this smell). Just a bit of a sour note which is the initial indication that something is wrong.

t- There are plenty of spice and pumpkin flavors going around, but what concerns me is the unnecessary sour taste. I have confirmed with two other people who tried this that they experienced the same, yet there seem to be mixed reviews here online. Maybe we got a bad batch here locally? But this really has been a bit painful to try to get through this 6 pack over the past 2 or 3 weeks. On the positive side... I like the touch of cinnamon taste.

Another disappointing pumpkin beer. I had such high hopes...

2.32/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Tastes like a weak IPA with cinnamon mixed in

2.33/5  rDev -32.7%

I got this bottle in a trade with jwc215. Thanks Joe!

This pours a hazy orange gold with a 2 finger head of foam.

The smell has nice, if light, smell of pumpkin and spices. I also get a bit of an orange smell and then, it becomes all sourish. What the hell?

The taste has a good note of pumpkin with some nutmeg and cinnamon but what I also get a fruity tartness. Interesting and not something I expected. The tartness seems, to me, to be clashing with the pumpkin and that's gonna hurt the rating tastewise and drinkability wise.

Very light bodied with an over abundant level of carbonation, it finishes, well, a mess. Oh well. I can not finish the glass...

2.41/5  rDev -30.3%

Orange/scarlet red body. Medium sized dirty white head. Lacing comes in skinny rings. This one smells more of spice than of substance. Cloves are big on the nose with allspice and cinnamon showing up as well. This one IS more spice than substance. Too much clove for my liking. Big allspice feel to it. Little in the way of pumpkin flavor or caramel malt flavor for that matter. Plus a light funky sourness as well. Overall, a disappointment.

2.45/5  rDev -29.2%

This is a pretty lousy pumpkin ale, as far as the style goes. It pours an amber color with a decent head and retention. The aroma is unmistakably pumpkin, some nutmeg, some spices, some maltiness in there too. The taste is quite imbalanced. There is a definite pumpkin flavor, but it is compromised by the strong nutmeg, rind, and sharp spices. The pumpkin flavor should be sweet, and it is just sitting on top of a raw bitterness. This is an unpleasant brew, from an otherwise decent brewery.

2.48/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours Orange amber with a small head and a decent lace.
The aroma is cinnamon,pumpkin and a whole lot of nutmeg.
The taste is sweet and spicy,pumpkin and hops. Nutmeg galore.Some malts in the background.
The feel was the problem. Metallic in taste and feel with a crisp,bitter and spicy finish.

Notes: This looked good,smelled good and yet ended up tasting metallic and artificial.
This just proves once again that organic and the use of organic fruits,vegetables and hops do not sway the palate.My guess on the ABV is 5.5 to 6%.
I wished I could have said that it was a good beer,but I would not buy this again.I mean come on,there are a lot of pumpkin ales out right now.
NEXT!