Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wolaver's Alta Gracia Coffee Porter | Otter Creek Brewing

Vermont, United States
ottercreekbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Availability: Fall

Unfiltered and unpasteurized porter brewed with Vermont grown organic coffee and aged on organic vanilla beans.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-30-2009

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.3/5  rDev -41.6%

My sister hooked me up with this one and it survived the plane ride home in tact.

A: Pours just like I want - dark brown head, fluffy at first then disappearing into a light skim. The body is the deepest brown you can get without being black. Pretty excited.

S: Coffee, maybe even a bit of licorice? smoke as well.

T: Man, just when I was really excited this thing kind of reminds me of a local oatmeal stout we have in Cincinnati (not a good thing). Coffee dominates the whole thing and it's kind of a mess imo. Needs more sweetness to balance.

M: Mild carbonation, body is medium.

D: Man, what a bummer. Thought this was going to be great based on the pour but for my taste this is just an average or below average porter. To be fair, my favorite is the Edmund Fitzgerald and that's a lofty goal for any porter to reach.

Drain pour - better beer in the fridge than this.

2.42/5  rDev -38.6%

A - dark mahogany brown with a quarter finger of tan head that fizzes away quickly

S - smells like last nights coffee still in the coffee maker, cant pick up the vanilla in the aroma, some nutty malts, but day old cold coffee is overpowering

T - acidic day old coffee harshly greets the palate and blankets out any other flavors, the vanilla bean is a slight echo at the back of the taste

M&D - it really tastes and feels liks i am drinking day old coffee, slightly acidic and medicinal, without a terribly complex flavor to save the experience, not a beer i would buy more of, but not horrible either, the coffee flavors are tasty

2.59/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured pitch black from a 12 oz bottle with no ABV or freshness date on the label. Good head which disappears fairly quickly. As the name suggests, this is coffee all the way. Right from the moment I cracked the bottle open, the aroma of coffee was evident. In fact, it is so overpowering that it is hard to get past the coffee if indeed there is anything else to the aroma. The taste again is coffee, coffee and more coffee. Decent lacing along the glass, and mouthfeel is good. But the weakness is the taste, way too much coffee for my liking. It is definitely not up my alley, and I don't see myself having this one in the distant future. Wolaver's/Otter Creek definitely have better beers than this one.

2.71/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

LOOK: Rich brown with some red hues. About a finger's worth of light tan head when poured into a shaker glass.

NOSE: Coffee. Just coffee.

TASTE: I'm just getting coffee. That's the one and only note here. It doesn't complement any other flavors, it's just the only thing there.

FEEL: A much lighter body than I'd expect for something billed as a porter. Maybe it'd work if billed as a brown?

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Pizzeria Paradiso (Dupont Circle) in Washington, D.C.; served in a nonic glass.

Appearance is pretty dark, considerably more so than a standard porter, but nonetheless a shade shy of what you'd a expect a stout to look like. A good amount of short-lived head resembling raw umber yields feeble lacing.

The nose is an assorted mix of predictable and unexpected, even random and whimsical, aromas: dark-roasted coffee, some dark fruits, some ham (smokiness), some vinosity, and some sharp funk/rancidity. While I'm normally quite keen on sour ales, I'm concerned as to the presence of aromatics characteristic of that style in something as different as a coffee porter. I suspect the vanilla component plays some role in this olfactory confusion, in particular its interplay with the coffee component, which may work well in a caffe latte but not when fermented grains become a variable, at least not in this case.

My concerns are confirmed as I take my first sip: all the aromatic components have their counterparts in the flavor, but, surprisingly, the vinosity and sourness, while unusual, are far less offensive than the coffee component, which is harsh, astringent, and grimace-inducing. Some roastiness in terms of the malt itself, rather than the coffee, is detectable but obscured by that of the java (hispaniola, actually). I'm ambivalent as to the sourness--one moment I like it, the next I don't--but the peculiar combination of fruit and funk is an intriguing and not inharmonious one. The coffee element, however, is uniformly offensive (although it mellows a bit in the finish), and, as this is the primary flavor, spoils what may otherwise have been a tasty beer. The burnt coffee flavor in this porter is enough of a repellent on its own, but its incompatability with the sourness of the beer renders this a near-drainpour.

Medium-bodied, lightly-to-moderately carbonated. Mouthfeel could be described as silky, but I'm too busy scowling to pay much attention. Drinkability is poor not because of any alcohol detection but because of the reasons described above; if you can tolerate the harshness, I imagine you can have a few of these without exceeding "tipsy" on the inebriation scale.

In summary, I'm glad I tried this at a half-price happy hour rather than committing to a sixer--I'd ogled this beer many times on the shelves of my local Whole Foods--but I'm extremely unlikely to ever try it again. I suppose I should never say never, though; my review of Founders Breakfast Stout was likewise damning, but I have come to realize it can be quite toothsome with a few months or even weeks on it. Perhaps the same is true of Alta Gracia, but even if this is the case, I doubt a compromise can be reached between the disparate coffee and lambic/sour ale traits of this beer--it's almost as if it has a split personality.

Wolaver's Alta Gracia Coffee Porter from Otter Creek Brewing