Twentieth Anniversary Ale | Otter Creek Brewing

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

4.47/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody continues to unearth some hidden and forgotten gems! This one has been in the reefer since I bought it, to the point that the glue has failed & label has fallen off ! I am just glad that I am still identify the beer. I had meant to drink this 20th Anniversary on 4-20 Day, but time got away from me, as it is often wont to do.

From the bottle: "20 Years * 1991 - 2011 [undersigned} Mike Gerhart, Brewmaster"; "Located in historic Middlebury, Vermont, Otter Creek Brewing is the proud brewer of the finest quality, handcrafted ales since 1991.".

In Pop!ping the cap, there was no question but that I would be going with a VERY gentle pour afterwards. An in-glass swirl raised a brief finger of foamy, light-tan head with modest retention that reverted back to wisps, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. That is an understatement! It was filament-bright! Nose was bready, very malty sweet, with notes of maple, honey & even a light mintiness, the latter of which was completely unexpected. The fusel heat had still not subsided & tickled my sinuses with its presence. Mouthfeel was thick, not quite viscous, but it laid on my tongue like a beached whale. The carbonation was beginning to wane with time & so it was like a dollop had been scooped onto my tongue. I let it roll around to further warm before swallowing. I will bet that this was hot as hell as a young beer! Even now, the warmth suffused the beer, giving it a brandy-like quality. The taste was bready, at base, with notes of dried, dark fruits; leather; dark, but not burnt, caramel; drying tobacco; toast and honey. Whew! OMFG! I wonder if I read that it was hot & needed to age when I originally purchased it or if it were just a happy accident to have had it around until now. They might be calling it an American Strong Ale, but arguments could be made for English Barleywine (no evident hops) and/or Old Ale. This had aged beautifully. Finish was dry, mainly due to the residual heat that lingered well after the swallow. Phew. I might even amend my last to include American Barleywine as I did get a cool mintiness on the extreme finish. Wow! Get the sensation.

4.45/5  rDev +22.6%

From a bottle to my Pretty Things pint glass, while watching live streaming of the Tar Sands Action - No KXL!

A - deep brown color, loses head very quickly. Looks like a coke if you let the ice cubes melt.
S - alcohol smell, not surprising considering the content. nice hops coming through, a little caramel malty
T - Yummy. deep malty flavor. Alcohol not overpowering, more malty. Hops are there, but not coming through.
M - sticky and thick - I love it. Very similar in feel to Oskar Blues G'Knight, which is my favorite.
O- I like this beer a lot. A little more hops and it would be my favorite. Very tasty, and drinkable considering the alcohol content.

4.34/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

Otter Creek's 20th Anniversary Ale opens with a rich, malty, yeasty nose that is perfectly appropriate for a 12% ABV beer brewed with four times the hops and malts of Otter Creek's Copper Ale (the beer to which this edition pays homage). The aromas drifting from the bottle are heavily yeasty, mixed in with the distilled aromas of several pounds of fresh wet grains, smelling in this sense much like rising bread dough, only more concentrated and potent. Deep beneath this, and barely noticeable, are brown sugars and hints of cherry, apple, and apricot.

On the tongue, the beer continues its yeasty, malty slam, the opening flavors tasting much like concentrated bread dough, or perhaps raw wheat bagel dough, being yeasty and full of grain flavors, as if your entire mouth was full of stalks of raw wheat mixed with Grape Nuts cereal and toasted wheat bread crusts. The hops kick in only a half-second or so after this opening onslaught, adding grapefruit and pine layers to the beer in sufficient quantity to make themselves noticed (which is difficult, given the strength of the grain flavors). Strong brown sugars help temper the beer somewhat, and the malts do bring a good plateful of fruit esters to the mix, including fig, black cherry, apple, and raisin. The high alcohol content mixed with some of these fruit and grain flavors makes the brew seem cognac-like in certain aspects, moving slightly towards a harsher bourbon profile, though touches of vodka-like alcohol kick somewhat spoil the effect. The aftertaste is a continuation of the pure grain and yeast flavors, with fewer sugars, and a lingering, but lighter grapefruit hop presence. Mouthfeel is medium-heavy, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is good beer, though the high ABV does somewhat detract from the overall effect, making the beer not only slightly harsh, but medicinal. Still, the flavors in here are just about as intense as you'll find in any brew, and it's obvious that huge quantities of malt and hops go into every bottle. When young--as is the bottle that I opened--these quantities produce a brew that is somewhat harsh and demanding, but I suspect that time will be very kind to the beer, mellowing the spiky bits out until, a few years from now or so, what will pour out is golden and smooth as silk. Personally, I'm cellaring the rest of my four-pack for at least two years.

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled on November 11, 2011. The pour is dark amber with a smallish head that becomes a long lasting ring. Sweeter malts are up front in the aroma along with plum or prune, raisins, and Otter Creek's own strain of yeast. With its high ABV I expected a more boozy aroma but that was not the case. The body is medium to heavy with decent stability. Although there is a fizzy acidity that I cannot quite explain but it is just there and not terribly important. As for the taste, I am getting that same malty character aqs the aroma with virtually no alcohol noted. So in that regard it is quite smooth. I bought a couple of these and will be cellaring one of them. I am interested in knowing how it will taste at this time next year.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer poured out as a deep amber color with what looked like a rather thick looking body to it. The head was average sized and didn't create much lacing. The smell of the beer was nice and boozy with loads of sweet caramel and hops on the nose. The taste of the beer has a really big kick to it, heavy amounts of bozze and hops in this beer. It also has a really nice amount of sweetness too. The mouthfeel of the beer was rich and creamy, had a nice thick warming body to it. Overall I was very impressed with this brew. This was far better what I expected.

4.18/5  rDev +15.2%

I just opened this a few minutes ago, and am impressed, to begin with. The beer is a rich amber to reddish brown and with a minimal head, which fades quickly.

(Un)fortunately, this beer is still very young, but at 12% it is where it should be for a barleywine. Rich malt sweetness and vanilla notes on the palate fade to a bit of alcohol bitterness on the finish. I really look forward to putting some of this away for a few years. Barleywines are meant to age, and this is no exception. I expect the sweetness to moderate, the alcohol to blend in and this beer to just get better and better for several years to come. This isn't drinking it's best, but it is what I expect for what it is at this point in its evolution.

And now, off to tilt the rest of this back and start my afternoon right. Beer ...it's not just for breakfast, anymore.

Twentieth Anniversary Ale from Otter Creek Brewing