Otter Creek Black IPA | Otter Creek Brewing

Otter Creek Brewing
Vermont, United States
ottercreekbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

Traditionally untraditional, Black IPAs—also known as Cascadian Dark Ales or American Black Ales—originated here in Vermont under the auspices of American craft brewing pioneer Greg Noonan. This rich, delicious brew fuses pronounced hop aromas and darkly roasted malts in a style born in the Green Mountains.

Added by jlpower on 10-25-2010

1.72/5  rDev -54.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Black beer with a tan head. Bottle was a slow gusher, not a good sign, particularly on a 12 oz bottle.

S - Might smell like a black IPA, if it didn't smell infected. There's some crystal malts, and some hops, but infection overwhelms.

T - Tastes infected. Fuzzy infection taste, some black IPA characteristics. Not going to drink much of this though.

M - Over carbonated, medium bodied.

O - Well, I'll re-review if I ever get a better bottle. The infection kills this one. It tastes bad, and that's why.

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

2.4/5  rDev -37%

02/17/2013

Parking lot, Post Hockey. Bottle.

AROMA: Hops,Petrol
LOOK: didn't see much…..drank from bottle.
TASTE: Tar. Bread. Pretty flavorful and alcohol is masked well for an IPA.
FEEL: Medium body . some Liveliness

2.44/5  rDev -36%

This Black kick is thanks to tone77 who wants to see me keep my bottle numbers in line with The CANQuest (TM). I postulated in my last review that an addictive personality such as mine might have difficulties with the adage "Once you've had Black, you won't go back" and sure enough, here we are! I'm doomed.

From the bottle: "A rich and delicious Black India Pale Ale featuring a pronounced hop aroma followed by darkly roasted malts topped with a mocha head."

I wonder why these black beers have such a propensity to created such a big, dense head. Here, it was two rocky fingers of deep-mocha head with enviable retention. Color was ... talk about truth in advertising ... jet black. There was no light penetration whatsoever. That's OK since some of my friendliest beers are Black. They CAN come over to my house any time. In fact, some of them are really liked by my sister. She's into Black. Nose was initially bursting with piney hops, but a second whiff gave me smoke and dark chocolate. This is what bothers me about the style - it is like the old Reese's commercial - "Hey, you got your chocolate in my peanut butter! No, man, you got my peanut butter on your chocolate!" with the tag line being "Two great tastes that taste great together." Yeah, well, keep your roasted malts OUT of my AmeriCAN IPAs, dang it. Mouthfeel was medium but there was a fistfight on my tongue. Smoke then bitter then chocolate then more bitter until the melange tasted like a hangover morning. This is NOT my bag, baby! What happened - some genius got bored and thought that this would be a good idea? Epic fail! The finish left me gasping for breath and not in a good way. It tasted like the fire in the hops plant that caused the dry spell a few years back. Jeez-O, man. Color me not a fan.

2.59/5  rDev -32%

Deep, dark chocolate, with a thin brown head. Weak but persistent lacing.

Aroma, thick, rich, humid, and heavy malt with a licorice undertone.

Stout-like more than IPA-like. Heavy malts. A slight bitter linger.

Full bodied and heavy, goes down slow.

This is a stout beer with some extra hop kick. This is not an IPA. Let's stick to stouts being stout and IPAs being IPAs. Please don't try to mix -- each is terrific in its own right, but they aren't made to be married. The flavor just isn't doing it for me.

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It was decent, I'm just not a big fan of IPAs

Otter Creek Black IPA from Otter Creek Brewing