Golden Pheasant | Pivovar Zlaty Bazant a.s.

good
Read the review
Golden PheasantGolden Pheasant

Pivovar Zlaty Bazant a.s.
Slovak Republic
zlatybazant.sk

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-11-2002

1.11/5  rDev -67.2%

This is probably a bad bottle, but it smells like a disturbed skunk on a hot summer night and the flavor, while not skunky, is not winning me over either. I have tried other Czech pilsners and they were nothing like this beer. Oh the tragedy that I spent money on this beer. I hope my liver and palate forgive me.

1.25/5  rDev -63%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

1.42/5  rDev -58%

This is a well-regarded beer, I see. Maybe I had a bad bottle, but my sample was downright awful.

Appearance was OK, but it's all downhill from there. Massive skunk in the aroma, and the flavour. So much so that you can't really taste much else. Some continental pils malt flavours make it though, but overall, it's just massive sulfury skunkiness.

Mouthfeel was OK; about the same as Urquell.

1.5/5  rDev -55.6%

1.72/5  rDev -49.1%

I purchased this beer in a mix and match pack at the recommendation of the guy working at the liquor store = error. I poured the beer into a Boulevard pint glass and was instantly hit with a very pungent odor. The beer poured smoothly and gave off a nice display of head (which did disappear rather quickly), as to try and distract from the liquid disgust that emerged from the bottle. The look of the beer was clear and it drank smooth, but it was accompanied by the 'sour beer face.' The taste was a combination of failure and shame (with a hint of fruit) all leading to the grand finale of a quick pour into the drain.
There was no date on the bottle, sorry :-( However there was a code of some sorts (like a bottle cap) but I'm not sure what that meant (maybe I won a hat?).

1.73/5  rDev -48.8%

Pours into the glass a slightly hazy golden to almost copper color. Starts with an impressive thick dense pancake batter-like head, fades quickly to a spotty cap. Lace is minimal.
When held to the light I note small suspended particles (are those sea monkeys?).

Smells like a skunk under a grain silo and a bit earthy.

Taste is an astringent graininess with an unpleasant lingering aftertaste.

This can not possibly be what the brewer originally put into the bottle. I have to assume I got a bad bottle. The kitchen drain will have to finish this one (my apologies to the drain).

I will attempt to find another bottle and re-review.

1.86/5  rDev -45%

Bottle into Williams Bros. Brewing pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland. Labelled as a Lager, not a pilsener.

A: Three finger head, pretty thin, devoid of cream, but of good retention (4-5 minutes). Clear pale yellow colour.

Sm: Clean barley and hints of cream.

T: Clean bland barley with a harsh cream undertone that doesn't suit the beer (or the style, for that matter) at all. Very poorly built. There is, however, a nice cream finish but the barley sharpens during the final act, throwing off the balance. Otherwise, this might be a nice effect.

Mf: Very wet, but strangely coarse and sharp. Not at all refreshing or pleasant.

Dr: It's far too expensive in Ireland, but I assume it's affordable elsewhere. It's a garbage beer, not to be consumed by proper beer fanatics.

1.9/5  rDev -43.8%

A: Poured a crystal clear dark orange with only a thin rim lacing and whispy covering for a head. Extremely soft visible carbonation was detected.

S: Some skunkiness was emitted upon the pour. The nose yielded slight tell tale signs of skunkiness and old oranges.

T: dry oranges and tangerines and sour citrus. There was an overall dry muskiness to the flavor which was just enough to turn you off.

M: thin, slightly oily and slick with a noticeable skunky aftertaste.

D: A big pass here drinkability wise and avoid at all cost. A heneiken by anyother name still drinks the same and wouldn't taint my toilet water with this. (ps i was under the impression heneiken owned and operated this)

1.94/5  rDev -42.6%

Who doesn't love pheasants? Beautiful birds! Used to roam wild and free in my home town. Glorious plumage, gentle creatures. And who wouldn't enjoy a beer made from them?
Wait...it's not?...okay, ...that's cool...anyway...

very clear, pale golden/amber appearance, nice, fluffy, snow-white head...

Aroma: skunkaroo! Sour lemon. Bad. Foul. Putrid. Ick.

Taste: Must I?
strong, fullish, fierce, grainy, and very bare thereafter....not much to brag about, Slovakia...blah, bleh, blech...Oooo, ish, ugh...not pleasure-enducing by any stretch.
Light bodied, dry finish, grainy all the way, with an unpleasant flavor, that never satisfies...
Does anyone like this stuff? Why? And why did I waste $2 on it that could've gone to online downloads of Falco's Greatest Hits? ("One Night In Bangkok makes a Hard man humble"...or is it, hustle? that's why I need it!)

These questions and more will be answered ...never...or, ...will they?

2.19/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Taste: Dry, this time might have got a little light struck in bottle, saline bitter funky. Gold and clear in color with a
soapy head with a medium body.

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

2.25/5  rDev -33.4%

2.33/5  rDev -31.1%

Golden color, white foam, beautiful appearance.
Decent herbal hop, malt in the background, hay. Decent. Not the best pils, but pleasant.
Same notes in the taste, maybe just a little less fresh? Anyway, again honest and drinkable.
Light body, even if not too light.
Quite long aftertaste, with hop bitterness, and some maltiness.
Not so bad.

2.37/5  rDev -29.9%

Golden Pheasant. What can I say. Though not awful, I won't be purchasing it again. The Pheasant pours a light, pale gold colour with a whopping four finger head!!! After a while, the head creeps down to two, and is finished at 1 1/2. Small rings of lace are left after every sip. Smells a bit funky. Not quite lightstruck skunkiness, but off. Definite spicy hop aroma. Didn't care much for the taste. Perhaps I just don't like the taste of Saaz hops, but I found it lightly skunky again. It was a green bottle, so light would be a problem. But I just find Saaz hops to have that light skunk smell and taste. Their is a bit of spice and malt, even citrus. Overall, it's balanced, but the Saaz hops/skunk is in charge. Mouthfeel is lightly crisp and thin. I guess it's drinkable, but I won't be upset if I never drink another.

2.44/5  rDev -27.8%

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

Picked up a bottle at Austin Liquors in Shrewsbury. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden wheat hue with a creamy half finger head from a hard pour that leaves no side lacing by a halfway decent halo.

S - Malts and grain, with a little honey sweetness.

T - More of the same sweet honey and malts with light grain notes. Its all very thin tasting.

M - And here is the worst aspect. Stuff drinks just a hair above water. Thin, watery, almost completely devoid of carbonation. I can feel it on my tongue, but, its not making any other appearance.

O - Overall, incredibly underwhelming and lackluster beer. Wont buy again, but, atleast I check off another country.

2.49/5  rDev -26.3%

Light gold in color with a fizzy short-lived head. The aroma is pungent and gross skunk! Yuck! I was hoping I might get a fresh bottle. Aroma is telling me obviously not, and you're an idiot for buying an import that's in a green bottle again. The skunk isn't anywhere near as strong in the flavor as in the aroma. It's still drinkable. The pilsener crispness is there with just enough hops for a slightly fun finish. I imagine this beer would taste pretty good and refreshing while fresh. But I doubt most of these green bottles sitting on shelves for months at a time are fresh.

2.5/5  rDev -26%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Stale smell of old grains and below average in taste. Not my style of beer. Maybe the bottle was old or spoiled somehow but I won't try it again for sure.

Golden Pheasant from Pivovar Zlaty Bazant a.s.