Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Petoskey Pale Ale | Leelanau Brewing Company

Petoskey Pale AlePetoskey Pale Ale
4.02/5
Exceptional
Petoskey Pale AlePetoskey Pale Ale

Leelanau Brewing Company
leelanaubeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by brewdogmrb on 09-07-2008

Reviews by jsisko01:
3.98/5  rDev -1%

This is a pretty expensive beer.. The place I bought it from chargers $20 for a 1 pint, 9.4 oz bottle.

Appearance - Pours a hazy copper color with an inch thick, soapy white head that lingers for a couple minutes, It leaves a very thick lacing also, with a thin film across the top of the beer that remains there.

Smell - Very sweet with notes of apples and oak up front. Other fruits start to show after a few more sniffs, along with the sourness all pale ales have.

Taste - VERY sweet and tart. Kind of tastes like granny smith apples with lemon citrus..The bitterness is covered up pretty well from this, plus a slight oak flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Overall - This is unlike any APA I've ever tried. It's good.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Dark for a typical Pale Ale -- on the brown side of golden, with a fluffy, rocky white head. Mostly clear, a bit hazy, decent amount of bottle sediment -- funked out for sure.

S: Pure barrel aged, rock infused, Belgian influenced bliss -- Lambic sour and acetic notes, citrus, tropical fruit, etc. Beautiful.

T: Dry, lingering bitterness, relatively light bodied, most of the Lambic like qualities stay in the nose. Like an infected Pale Ale with a more artfully constructed balance.

M: Decent carbonation, balanced body.

D: Very drinkable, refreshing, interesting.

Another score for Leelanau, brewed by Ron Jeffries -- how could it be bad?

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I was not expecting the sourness from the label description, but I was pleasantly surprised. Poured a pale, hazy orange with a rocky head, smelling of brett and oak. Feels about right for a pale.

My first experience with Leelanau. Would not be adverse to trying more from them.

3.44/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- great look to this brew, big head and cloudy
S- wood and spicy
T- Different from many pale ales I have tasted then again its barrel aged in oak. sweet taste, woody after taste
M- Sweet and woody like the smell
D- wouldn't be a beer I would have to many of.
Overall...I enjoyed it but wouldn't be my type of beer

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%

Aged several months. Pous medium yellow with lits of white frothy head that leave a lacey trail down the glass. When you get past the funky sweaty smell, its a tasty beer. The thick creaminess, with malt, cushion the mouth. A bit of a funky taste, with oak, with a workout on the tastebuds, some enzymes, lemon, and melon.Enjoyable wild ale.

3.47/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. This beer pours a cloudy golden yellow with 2 fingers of thick rocky head. First smell is predominantly wild yeast, very bretty with some crisp green apple in the forefront. It's very musty almost overpowering but not in a bad way. As a fan of sours, its a very addictive smell.

The taste is very different from other pale's, obviously from the spontaneous fermentation, but not as bitter as I'd expect. There's a strong taste of tart green apples, citrus pith and a touch of soap.

It's very carbonated, each bubble giving way to another burst of flavor and calling me for another sip.

This was a great beer, I'd go after this one again.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Picked this bottle up at House of 1000 Beers (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15450) in New Kensington, PA. It was my first time in the store, so I picked up a few guilty pleasures beer -- including three from Leelanau Brewing Company. I had lived in the county and know of the brewers through friends. This was my first time trying their beer.

Appearance. I loved the bottle -- the Petoskey stone on the beach, a "true find" for the lucky beachcomber. The bottle poured smoothly, with a golden to the orange color and a head of beer that was a combination of foam on the water and the color of the white sandy beaches of the shores of Lake Michigan. The head dissolved quickly.

Smell. Belgian, fruits and flowers, the crisp smell was refreshing. Made me wish I was drinking at sunset on the beach rather than on a rainy night in western Pennsylvania.

Taste. Dry, slightly bitter with undertones of citrus (again, making me want the beach). Cool finish ... crisp.

Mouthfeel. A little too bubbly; I do not prefer champange and the first few sips had too many bubbles. The middle of the glass we better.

Overall. A nice, but pricy, bottle of memories for me. I long for my days and look forward to returning to my land in Leelanau County, overlooking the shores of Lake Michigan and the great Sleeping Bear Dunes. When I build my house, I'm picking up a few of these beers to celebrate. Thank you Leelanau Brewing Company -- keep up the great work!

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A big thanks to erikkoppin for getting me this beer. Cheers Erik!
Appearance - Pours a surprisingly dark and cloudy tawny color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates rather slowly leaving decent lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Slight lemon zest, brett, must, barnyard funk, a bit of oak, hops, peppery spices, and at the end some caramel and sweet malt. As the beer warms up I smell some leather (more earthy notes), and some berries shine through. A damn fine smelling beer.

Taste - Damn, did that first sip hit the spot. I get a surprising blast of oakiness right off the bat which is followed quickly by the Brettanomcyes in the beer. There is a definite hop oiliness which adds a uniqueness to this beer seeing as this was brewed, I believe, by Jolly Pumpkin and as we all know, JP does not really have hop forward beers. The combination of the hops and brett is a delightful treat. The more I drink this the more the citrus and berries appear, only to be taken over by the must and earthiness. The beer also has a unique malt, caramel, flavor and characteristic. This is an extremely complex beer - much more complex than I can articulate seeing as I am still relatively new to beers but damn, each sip is unique I swear.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, relatively creamy, prickly carbonation, finishes a hint dry.

Drinkability - Easily quaffable, though I'm trying to enjoy the subtleties of this beer seeing as I will most likely never be able to try it again. A must try if you come across it and like brett spiked beers that normally aren't. Very enjoyable.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

-Ale aged in Oak Barrels. Sampled in spiegelau ipa glass.

A: Bright orange coloring has a dense, hazy nature, with a moderate rise of effervesce. A thick, creamy, milky head is one inch standing, with a very lengthy coverage. Thick milky coating lines the vessel.

S: Sour musky fruit, damp oranges, and lemons highlight the open with some light funky belgian barn-esque like flair. If i didn't know any better I would of thought this to be a belgian style rather american. The barrel notes are hard to pick up if any, musky oak wood is minimal, but there is a lot of mildewy basement notes of medium awareness going on.

T: The flavor is funky oranges, funky fruit, melon and pineapple, again, seems like some type of belgian yeast influence but not advertised here. Some guava with some light banana yeastiness. Bready malts with light floral grapefruit hops.

M: Light and crispy nature, rich malty body, thick and creamy substance.

O: Love the belgian flair. Some funkiness, maybe more so from the barrels, I'm guessing, while the hops play second fiddle. It seems Jolly pumpkin had a hand in this from the label so maybe there is some belgian yeast going on, as Jolly is well known for their styles. The flavor is worth the journey here. Solid 4.0.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Tracked down a bottle of this in Ann Arbor, and it was pricey, $12.49/16.9 oz.

Nice shade of auburn orange, lively with dancing streams of bubbles. Sturdy, fluffy head that has a meringue sheen to the surface. The surface actually holds together and shifts to one side as a sip is taken, the whipped cap still intact. Foam has a creamy texture, as does the mouthfeel. Fresh herbs and a dry herbal hop aroma in the nose. Smells good, not unlike Luciernaga or Bam, with some clean pilsner malt and noble hop aroma also. Light bitterness, herbal hops that come through like sage or oregano, dry and leafy. More of a Belgian yeast comes through, and a lightly malty flavor is there in the middle. Very dry finish, with a light tartness. Not sure what the petoskey rocks really contribute. They are a type of fossilized coral native to northern MI, so at least I learned something today.

You'd think for a nearly $13 pint, there would be a kick from the ABV, but the 5.5% is barely there. It's quenching as most Belgian Pales are, but I could get twice as much Duvel at that price. Strangely my bottle didn't levitate over the ocean at sunset, like it does in the picture above.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

A: A little more brown than most pale ales. Creamy head with good brussels lace.
S: Biting and floral.
T: Strong hoppy bitterness with an understated citric character.
M: Moderate carbonation, light feel.
D: Easy to drink, but the flavors are extremely assertive, so you might not make it through 2 bottles. At 11 or 12 bucks a pop, they're a little cost-prohibitive for that kind of drinking anyway.

Really distinctive pale ale. Very nice.

3.86/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a 16.9 ounce bottle into a cervoise. The label lists an abv of 5.5%.

Appearance: Huge creamy looking light tan head sits on a hazy orange body. The head never comes close to vanishing, and it leaves lots of foam on the sides of the glass.

Smell: The smell is a combination of oak and sourness due to the wild yeast laden oak barrels at Jolly Pumpkin(where this beer is brewed).

Taste: The taste is sour from the wild yeasts, a little sweet from the malts, mild bitterness and some floral character from the hops, and a little salty tasting probably from the stones put in the barrels during aging.

Definitely the most unique and original pale ale that I've ever had. Pretty tasty too.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is slightly hazy orange amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a two finger high white head that has excellent retention properties and hardly died down.
S: Moderate aromas of oak are present in the nose along with hints of brett and associated sourness.
T: Like the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of French oak from the barrel aging and also has a light amount of sourness along with slight amounts of bitterness. Hints of wild yeast and spices are also perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and a little tart and dry on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This pale ale does a very good job of showcasing the oaky aromas and flavors and the sourness lends some complexity. It was very easy to drink.

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

16.9 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A - Very hazy golden brown - definitely one of the murkiest pale ales I've come across. The edges are a bit lighter. Poured a thick head that is reinvigorated with each sip. Bits of head remain on the side of the glass after each sip.

S - First sniff is all yeast. The yeast strains are different here than in other "wild yeast" smells: I get even more musk than usual, less citrus complements, and a touch of minerality and even salt. I'm reminded of a dusty attic with lots of artifacts in boxes: so much to explore! I've never smelled a brew like this one.

T - The minerality really comes to the forefront here - you can actually taste the rocks that were adding to the aging brew! Less tart than I expected from the nose, but still crisp on the palate. The finish is a bit lacking for me - it just dropped off, leaving me with a slight mineral/salt aftertaste. Points for originality, though - not too many drinkable beers can be described as having "minerality," in my experience.

M - This brew doesn't roll off of your tongue like other pale ales, and nor does it try to do so. The steady carbonation is pleasing to my palate, but the disappointing finish left me wanting more.

D - I'm really happy that I tried this beer, for the sake of having tried another of Ron Jeffries' beers. This is a very creative idea for a beer that both hits and misses in different ways. A beautiful look and an exciting nose are met with disappointment at the unbalanced taste profile. I would love to get another bottle, and age it for a few years to see how the flavors develop together. Get your hands on this beer, but don't expect a life-changing experience right away.

3.92/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.49/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a nice, big frothy head. Color is a cloudy amber. There is a small cloud of heavier sediment that deposits itself near the bottom of the glass, so right off the back you can tell this is an unfiltered beer.

Smell is somewhat sweeter than what I thought it would be. Its almost grape juice like. Very, very tart. Almost like a smartie tart.

First sip is bitter and has the same tart flavor. It's light, flavorful and has a nice kick to it. Very satisfying.

Not as complex as I thought it would be, this still turned out to be a pretty good beer.

3.72/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%

Growing up in MI, I remember there was always something special about having Petoskey Stones. When I walked in the bottle store, while visiting family, the first thing that caught my eye was the picture of the Petosky Stone on the label. It brought back some memories for sure. Not having this before, the Petosky Stone, and knowing Jolly Pumpkin is behind this, made me look past the $11 price tag.

500ml bottle. Poured a medium and cloudy amberish color with a larger sized, frothy, off white head. It also had a pinkish tint to it. Aromas of some funkiness, bretty, wood-oaky, light citrus, cheese rinds, and Petoskey Stones. Well not really on the stones. Tastes of some funkiness, oak, cheese, and lighter fruitiness. Lightly sweet with a light tart finish. Some lacing left on the glass. This one grew on me more and more as I drank it.

Wow, if every American Pale Ale tasted like this one! I wish I bought more of these.

This beer is unfiltered and is super complex. The head on this beer is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a beer as well. I like to watch it fade away until it becomes this little puffy island and then sip away on this delicious beverage. It has slightly sour mineral notes behind subtle hoppy bitterness. The aromas are very outgoing and leave you craving more. This is the kind of beer to serve in a big bordeaux wine glass and just keep smelling it. I also believe that this beer has great age potential. It is great now but I can't wait to watch those mineral earth notes from the Petoskey stones and the open fermentation, wild spontaneous yeasts develop more complexity over the next 5 years.

3.78/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Petoskey Pale Ale from Leelanau Brewing Company