Pumpkineater | Howe Sound Inn & Brewing Company

British Columbia, Canada
howesound.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A high gravity pumpkin ale brewed with barley, fresh roasted pumpkin, hops, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, water and yeast, it is one of the local seasonal favorites. This beer is produced in very limited quantities each fall as part of the John Mitchell series.

Added by lumikuuro on 10-08-2009

1.6/5  rDev -58.8%

2.06/5  rDev -46.9%

Exceptionally brisk carbonation. I poured a glass full of foam. It's a slightly hazy orange colour with an off-white head.

Smells of pumpkin pie spices, as anticipated, but not overpowering. Seems like a good balance with some toasty and some caramelly malts. No hops.

Taste is.... OK. I think it's probably over-spiced for my tastes, it's got a strange non-hoppy bitterness that's sharp and biting, oddly combined with a cloying sweetness and a mouthfeel that's moderately full up front, but seems to finish watery, somehow. There's a biscuitty malt edge that just seems to clash with everything here. It's all wrong, in my opinion. I'm going to have a hard time getting through an entire litre of this stuff; definitely NOT my cuppa tea

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.61/5  rDev -32.7%

Pours a dark copper color with a white cloud of head that fades to a thin layer across the top with a touch of lacing.

Smells of spices toasted malts and sweetness

Taste is BLAH!!! too over-spiced for me. I was hoping more from this beer, but it's like a homebrew gone mad with spices. it's a very complex flavor that is hard to put a finger on all the flavors.. this beer is a mess

mouth is light and not hard to drink.. except for the taste, a little over-carbonated... i would not tell my friends to try this one

another average pumpkin with a well balanced spiced flavor

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Big, bubbly, hazy orange amber with a thin foamy tan head with no retention. Cinnamon and nutmeg with light pumpkin. Clean amber beer with hints of pumpkin and spice with light warming. Sharp foamy feel.

Head disappears after 2 seconds leaving an ugly beer that looks like a soda. Nonetheless, it's a good clean beer with no off flavors and is otherwise an easy drinking beer.

3.18/5  rDev -18%

A: Poured a glowing orange with good carbonation and a dirty white head

S: Pumpkin, allspice and light cinnamon

T: Pretty tame to be "imperial". Light toasted pumpkin, spice, nutmeg and dash of cinnamon

M: Toasted pumpkin and ok mouthfeel, no complaints but pretty boring

D: Ahhh. Worth a try I suppose. I had no problems in drinking it but not Imperial.

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Smells like pumpkin pie. Actual pumpkin taste is mild and pleasant, the spices are nice. Has a decent kick to it.

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

1L bottle shared with friends on Thanksgiving.

A: clear copper, big foamy head, visible carbonation, slight lacing left behind.
S: maple sweetness, almost like a liqueur.
T: I found this quite sweet and I couldn't taste the pumpkin at all. I didn't even pick up much of the spices I'd associate with pumpkin / pumpkin pie. This was a definite disappointment as a pumpkin ale. It definitely tasted like 8% alcohol, or maybe higher. Bleh.
F: fairly thick, smooth.
O: I wouldn't buy this again. I was glad my friend Sara really enjoyed it and wanted to finish the bottle so that it didn't go to waste!

3.39/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -12.4%

3.43/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A fairly standard pumpkin ale. Not bad, not great

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Was a bit disappointed with this year's version of Pumpkineater. This is usually one if my favourite pumpkin beers. This year's version the pumpkin flavour was very subdued and the carbonation was too active. Actually gave me instant heart burn. I'm not sure if the bottle I got was off or not. I will give it another shot though.

Pumpkineater from Howe Sound Inn & Brewing Company