Beltaine Scottish Ale | Shoreline Brewery And Restaurant

Style: Scottish Ale

Added by Indybeer on 06-11-2006

Reviews: 13 | Ratings: 53
4.5/5  rDev +21%

not a bad beer not to strong and not too weak on the taste. Excellent for the style of beer and i will look forward to more from this brewing company

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

P: Nice reddish brown clear with a healthy foamy beige 2 finger head. This beer leaves a lot of lacing all the way down.
A: Bread yeast, toffee, caramel.
T: Caramel, molasses toffee, sweetness of sloe plum, bread yeast.
M: Light medium body with a little bit if long lasting bitterness. Nicely carbonated.
O: A decent Scottish Ale. Happy it was offered at Inside the Cellar and quality as happy to have tried it.

3.24/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I like a good Scottish Ale and this one held it's own.

Sweet & Rich aroma - a little heavy on the carbonation - creamy finish though!

Would definitely get it again.

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This pours dark ruby like brown, leaving a nice carmel color head. After a while that dissipates, and then I dump the bottom of the bottle into the mix and the review continues from there. It's now a bit cloudy, but that was my decision. After a while (now), a small island of foam and a ring remain.

In the nose I'm getting a bit of cocoa, floral, and ....cinnamon? I'm not sure, but I didn't read other reviews yet (to prevent bias) and my nose isn't the best...

Taste is, well, scotch ale like. Mine has warmed a bit, so it is a little more, um, "English-like", molassis-spice stuff, and, well, I'm tasting a bit of sour hop - um - in the finish. Different, interesting...

Mouthfeel was much better in the first half right out of the bottle and cold. Now it is flattening out. It seems a bit thin, too.

Overall, this ain't bad. If you happen to see it, it's worth trying. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, and I wouldn't stock up on it, but if you come across it and like the style, it's worth giving a try.

4.4/5  rDev +18.3%

Had this on tap at the restaurant
A: Amber colored with a finger head and decent lacing
S: Malt
T: Malts hit you first then there is sweetness and then a slightly bitter finish
M: Mild carbonation and very creamy. Exceptionally drinkable.
This beer impressed me and I would recommend it to anyone in the area to give it a try.

3.38/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried the Beltaine Scottish Ale whilst at the Shoreline Brewery. The appearance was nice....a deep rich brown clear color with virtually no head. Th enose carried a subtle sweet maltiness. The taste was good and rich...bolstered by sweet malt with earthy/peat undertones. There was some hop to balance the big malt. This beer would be best drunk during a fall session....while the leaves are turning.

4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Medium-dark amber. Thin head. Little lacing. Medium Carbonation.

S: Good malt with some hops. Smells sweet overall.

T: Very malty profile. Good hops on finish. Just right for the style I would say.

M: Semi-creamy, very nice.

D: This is beyond drinkable!

It is no wonder that it has won two World Beer Cup Silver Medals! I am a lucky man to have this brewery in my town!

3.15/5  rDev -15.3%

64 oz growler, big thanks to grub for sharing.

Pours a a clear dark brownish red, a bit of mahogany, very thin light tan head forms and settles down to a thin ring around the glass, a few lace spots stick, looks like a Scottish ale.

Smell is nice, very malty, light biscuit, very fruity, estery, a bit of raisin, very light roastiness, a touch of chocolate, a bit sugary, light banana, pretty clean aroma, not a whole lot going on.

Taste is weird, very malty and fruity up front, caramel, some biscuit, very clean, pretty strange progression on this one, finishes really clean and light, almost watery, almost a bit of sourness going down, a bit nutty.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, almost watery with low carbonation, goes down easy but isn't very tasty. Thanks Russ!

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

got this one from abbddull as part of the DLD 2010 in-person BIF. thanks!

64oz growler. sampled april 30/2010.

pours nice and clear deep dark red, not quite brown and showing some brilliant ruby and garnet hues when held to the light. a scant ring of fine light tan bubbles clings to the edge of the glass but leaves no lace.

aroma is nice. caramel and toffee. lightly toasted multi-grain bread. hints of dark chocolate and smoke. touch of alcohol.

taste is odd. starts of tasting a little bit lager-ish, then turns fruity, and quickly fades into a sort of burnt roasted astringent character. alcohol comes through slightly warm, far more than it should for a 4.7% beer. other character comes out on subsequent sips, but each time it fades into the burnt roasty astringent character. light caramel and toffee. toasted whole wheat bread. dark chocolate. coffee. bit of dark fruit and smoke. fairly low bitterness level.

mouthfeel is ok. medium body. low carbonation level, which could be due to the growler losing pressure during its travels so i won't hold it against it. light astringency.

drinkability is ok. the alcohol is more present than it should be for the style or a beer of this size. the beer itself seems like it's just a few points off from where it should be. a bit less roast, a bit less fruit, and perhaps a bit more malt. still, an interesting brew that i'd give another try if given the opportunity.

actually, as this one warmed it really grew on me. the malt and the body filled out on it a little. that astringent character started to fade. the lack of carbonation was far less of a problem. this is actually a fairly nice scottish ale now. if you've got some of this, i recommend letting it warm up to at least 50-55F, and if you aren't enjoying it, let it warm a little more.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Served from a 3 day old growler (sealed) that my wife brought back from a recent trip to Michigan City. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark amber Brown color with a nice tan head.

S: Malty aroma with a little a hint of scotch whiskey.

T: Earthy, malty taste with a bit of chocolate, dark fruits and the scotch malt taste you would expect from this style (although the scotch flavor is not overpowering).

M: Nice soft, creamy mouthfeel, very enjoyable to drink. Beer just kind of floats in your mouth with a bit of dry cocoa finish.

D: I can picture myself on the beach in Michigan City drinking a few of these. Very easy and pleasant to drink and would make a great session beer. I'm on my third glass as I write this -- makes me want to visit the brewery in person.

3.2/5  rDev -14%

I got this yesterday at Shoreline Brewery. I saw that it was a Scottish Ale so I was hoping for something similar to a Robert the Bruce but I was somewhat disappointed. The color was nice, the head left very little lacing. Pretty malty brew, which is what I wanted but the taste seemed a little too sweet and fruity. I was really hoping for a bitter, chocolaty-coffee flavor with solid malt and I was let down. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but the fruit taste and after-taste caught me by surprise.

3.87/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to my buddy Nate for picking up this growler for me on his monthly trip to Michigan City, IN.

Pours a rusty amber and a sparse head that leads to a thin foam, thennothing. No bubbling. The aroma is plenty malty with some plums and dry hay form the hops. Upfront malt flavors that stay to about medium intensity. These malts are roasted and faitnly fruity. Notes of plums are what I pick up the most. Maybe even a little wood in the finish. The palate is silky from front to middle, while the finish is a little cottony. A nice, complex , but very drinkable beer thats full of flavor.

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%

It's not often I get to try a GABF medal-winner on tap at the brewery... I was a little disappointed to start because this one was served too cold. I didn't have time to wait so I had to make do.

Cloudy brown color with thin tan head. Smell is malty and roasty with a slight sweetness. Probably would've smelled better if served at a more appropriate temperature.

Malty and sweet taste too with a nice peaty molasses flavor. The flavor did open up nicely as it warmed.

Medium body, very smooth but felt a bit light for the style.

Very tasty, temperature notwithstanding. I am glad I got to try it and I hope to get to the brewery again to give it another go.

Tasted on 7/8/08.