Smoked Porter | Founders Brewing Company

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

A robust porter brewed with beechwood-smoked barley, oak-smoked wheat and chocolate malt.

Added by SerialTicker on 02-02-2014

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 34 | Ratings: 346
4.23/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Founders Smoked Porter a couple weeks ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm a big fan of Founders Porter and I also like smoked beers, I'm interested to see how this beer stacks up, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good it, it's got a rustic look to it and that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black/ very dark brown color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking Porter, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the smoke being the first to show up and imparts that nice beachwood smoked malt aroma that always reminds me a little of smoked meats and it's not too smokey. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice roasted malt, slightly charred, light coffee and chocolate like aromas with neither one seeming to stick out the most. This beer had a very nice aroma, it's just what I want out of a smoked Porter with just the right amount of smoke.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, but it's just a little more balanced and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the smoke still being the first to show up and it imparts that same beachwood smoked malt aspect that imparts a medium smokey flavor that has that nice smoked meat aspect to it. Up next comes the malts which impart all the roasted malt aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they show up just a little more and provide good balance to the smoke. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a roasted malt and smokey aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer, the balance between the roasted and smoked malts is very nice.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little silky, medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, but I wish the carbonation was toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and thought it was a very nice example of a smoked porter and as far as smoked dark beers go this one might just be up there as one of the better ones I have had simply because the balance was so good and I thought the smoke complemented the roasted malts nicely. This beer had a pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, slightly rich, a little silky, not too filling, and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have any problem drinking the bottle by myself and I think a couple glasses of this is the perfect amount for me and I think this would make for a great fall time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, it was just where I want it to be for a smoked beer and that really helped the drinkability. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but I thought it would help if the carbonation was toned down just a little. I would buy this beer again, I'm pretty sure it's gone in my area, but if I saw another bottle I would buy it and I would recommend it to anyone who likes smoked beers. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer and i was a little impressed, I already expected good things, since it's a Founders Backstage beer and the base of this beer is a really nice porter, but it was still a little impressive and I'm glad this one wasn't too hard to find. I don't know why Founders decide to make this a Michigan only release, but I'm not going to complain. This isn't my favorite Founders beer, but it is one of the better smoked beers I've had. Great Job Founders, I was happy to finally try a smoked beer from you guys, keep up the great work.

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

Served on tap at Big Hunt DC.
A: this is a dim lit bar so I am not going to B.S. you.
S: cold pint glass= weak aromatics but from what I gather its charred American oak , dark chocolate cocoa nibs, smoked Wood chipped pork meat, black pepper.
T: now this is a smoked porter. Beautiful balance of smoked meats and chocolate cocoa.The smoked ash oak barrel really shines through here. Notable black pepper and vanilla bean extract. Supremely delicious.
M: a bodily carbonated porter. Nice medium body and full tasting smokey draw.
O: one of the absolute best examples of a smoked porter that I have found. Try one and buy many.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: pours with a dark brown head of about three fingers. Head quickly settled to being present just on the edges of the glass. Pours with a medium body of thickness. No active carbonation.

Smell: tons of that creamy sweet malt presence on the nose. Roasted tones pop up on the body with thick, meaty smoke aromas. Toffee and bitter chocolate picked up on the back end as well.

Taste: meaty smokiness on the front. Toffee and chocolate pudding pull the palate in. The body is some roasted malt and creamy oats with accents of bitter chocolate snowballing into the finish. Dry finish of coffee grounds and lingering dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: creamy sweet front slowly transforms into a darker and heavier chocolate bitterness which lingers on the palate for a long time.

Overall: another outstanding offering from the backstage series. I love seeing different and underappreciated styles being showcased. This is a wonderfully balanced and complex smoked porter. Toast to you founders!

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Hunahpu's Day 2014. Deep brown color with light tan head. Aroma is lightly smokey, dark grainy malt, some molasses-like sweetness. Taste is pleasantly smoked, not like a lot of American smoked beers. I also enjoy the roasted malt sweetness. Thick and somewhat creamy mouthfeel.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black, slightly over 1 finger mocha head. Nice thick lacing.

Smell - Smoke, wood char, hint of coffee grounds, smoked meat.

Taste - Smokey from the start. The for just a bit you get a malt roastiness, subtle coffee and spent coffee grounds, then the rest of the smokiness really develops. A few different characteristics, wood, char, smoked pork, all blanketing a very subtle grain flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, medium carbonation and smooth.

Overall - Good beer. Intense robust smokiness that almost makes you feel like your eating a meal. Bought 2, I will save one for a friend.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul, MN. Served in a 10 oz. chalice.

Appearance: Color is a dark brownish black. Moderate amount of bubbles and about two fingers of tan head which settle into a thinner creamy layer. Leaves a good amount of lacing.

Smell: A rich and roasty dark malt forward aroma with big hints of smoke, oak, and dark chocolate. Dark roasted barley malts with a big presence of smoke, oak, dark chocolate, and wood. Also some good hints of dark roast coffee beans, toasted bread, biscuit, grains, wheat, burnt caramel, toffee, nuts, and yeast. Subtle sweet hints of molasses as well as some light earthy hops. A very good roasty aroma.

Taste: Like the aroma previews, a roasty and rich dark malt driven taste with big notes of smoke, oak, and sweet dark chocolate. Upfront dark roasted barley malts with a big taste of smoke, oak, wood, and nicely sweet dark chocolate. Also some dark malt notes of roasted coffee beans, burnt toast, caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, nuts, wheat, and yeast. Subtle taste of molasses like sweetness. Some light earthy hop notes in the background. A very good balance of smokey notes and sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the heavier side of medium. Carbonation is moderate. Very creamy with a nicely drying finish. Alcohol is masked well.

Overall: A very good smoked up version of Founders already great Porter. Strong smoke presence that isn't overwhelming. Nice presence of sweet chocolate.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Founders Smoked

A $10 bottle picked up by my sister from the brewery. People say this is a bomber (22oz), but it's 760ml (25oz).

Appearance: Pours a deep black color with a very small brown head on top. I generally notice porters to be ruby black, but oh well. Minimal lacing. Looks fair. (3.5/5)

Smell: Definitely smoked, without question. Almost a smoked meat sort of aroma coming off. Woody notes. Some chocolate, and a bit more coffee. As said, obviously smokey, but not overwhelmingly so. Quite nice. (4/5)

Taste/feel: Smokey, ashy, woody, roasty -- very nice taste. That smoked meat quality is also in the flavor, but it's more on the nose. There's also a slight sort of tanginess almost that suggests a meatiness further. The feel is on-point for a porter, in my opinion. This brew has a medium/high sort of carbonation, with about a medium body. Easy drinking, and not heavy. 8% is unnoticeable. Not a mindblowingly unique beer with a huge depth of flavor, but it's still a joy to drink if you like some smokey beers. (4.25/5, 4.75/5)

$10 for this 750ml bottle isn't a bad price at all, but I'd not pay much more for it. It's a fabulous example of a smoked porter though, and one worth trying if you can get it at a reasonable price.

4.25/5

4.46/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a mini growler (since bottles weren't sold outside of michigan). Pours deep black with a bone head that fades pretty quick. Smell is obviously loaded with smoke, barley, almost has a slight incense scent, some coffee. Taste is malty, some chocolate, coffee, great amount of smoke, green pepper, slight hops presence. Texture is great, drinkable but not too thin, not a lot of carb. Overall this is one amazing smoked porter, it's not too smoky and there are tons of rich dark flavors and the hop background is slightly refreshing. Didn't think I'd get to try this due to distro but I'm glad a nice shop filled up a growler for me.

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark brown/black color. huge foamy head, about 2 or so fingers of a tan head that fades at a decent rate to nothing. opaque even when held up to the light

Smell: smoked meat and char. dry chocolate and roasted malts come through underneath. good balance between smokey and a dry robust porter

Taste: opens up with chocolatey sweetness that quickly fades due to the smokey wheat and smokey meat characteristics. great balance between dry smoke and sweet chocolate.

Mouthfeel: a bit of sweetness quickly fades to a lingering dryness. fairly light and wheaty. some bitterness from the smoke.

Overall: I know this one isn't quite as exciting as the other backstage series but it is a well made a good beer. great balance and not over powering smoke.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last