Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#129

Ratings: 17,192 |  Reviews: 3,947
4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.96/5  rDev +10%

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer! Mix it with Dirty Bastard for "Dirty Oats" and you will be amazed! Soooo good! This beer is dark, has a chocolate and coffee flavor, high percent, tastes great! Only possible problem is it is a filling beer but with the high percent you don't need to drink much!

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

This is the taste of fall for me. So many flavors throughout from the coffee that hits you right away through to the lingering chocolate that stays with you to the end. Unnecessarily excellent and I love the people that brewed this for showing us such a wonderful beer!

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

What a stout should be. Full flavored, robust coffee goodness that smacks you in the face. Nice alcohol presence throughout.

4.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow!! This is one of the best beers I have ever had. It poured dark brown into a frozen glass with a tan colored head. The aroma was of fresh roasted coffee beans. The front has a smokey cocoa flavor, however, it has a tinge of caramel notes. It finishes with full roasted coffee flavor. To quote Tom Cruise, "I'm In Love!" :)

4.69/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle (bottled on 9/4/18) into a snifter on 10/15/18. Inch of foam on top which took approximately 45-60 to dissipate. Color is black, srm 40+. Aroma is deep sweet maltyness. Taste is complete and full with extra chocolate, very limited alcohol taste as well. Mouthfeel is extremely smooth with mild carbonation and the last notes of flavor floating around just after completing the taste. Overall an Amazing beer.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Oil black body, one finger of tan brown head
Roasted coffee, cocoa, acorn, malts, rye
Coffee, malts, chocolate, walnut
Creamy
Decent beer. Not a huge fan of the style but it's good

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Founders Breakfast Stout - 8.8%ABV- 60 IBUs. 12oz bottle dated 7/30/18 - poured into a snifter at slightly too chill.

Pours a pitch black, opaque shade. A hard pour yeilds a finger of cinnamon colored head, receding fairly quickly. Edit: Now that it's mostly gone (the beer), I can see that it's truly a dark dark brown. It looks like coffee concentrate. Deep brownish black, a brilliant sheen, and slick.

Nose is dark chocolate and a heavy hit of cayanne chili. Subtle notes of ground coffee beans and maybe some vanilla. The chili pepper is big though. There's a slight acidity that I'm guessing might be from the coffee that's in here.

Palate is huge bittersweet cocoa and java. Mocha. Finishing much more coffee than chocolate. I'm also getting a touch of that chili pepper, but not nearly as much as the nose would indicate. That hint of acidity translates, to a minor degree, to the palate. Like oily black coffee. It's sweet upfront, and then the roasty toasty comes in and cuts that sweetness in half. There is a slight bitterness to it that is a byproduct from the huge amount of dark roasted malts, rather than from hopping. The big sweet kick keeps that bitterness in check, and helps keep it moving without becoming unpleasant. For an imperial stout, I'd actually say the bitterness is on the lower side, but definitely expect a little more than your favourite 6ABV milk stout.
Warming up, that chili is coming back out, and it truly reminds me of Mexican hot cocoa with a pinch of coffee in it.

The mouthfeel is soft and silky. Rich, slightly viscous, with a nice mouthcoating quality. Thick outmeal character. Carbonation is low, naturally, having to fight through the heft and viscosity of this beer. It's nice and thick and chewy, as the style calls for.

Overall, this is very good. The alcohol is well hidden. The chili pepper note throws me off a tiny bit, but the sweetness works to its benefit. It's well rounded, and not too much of anything. There are stouts I much prefer, but all in all, this is definitely one of the better ones I've had. I'm glad I got to try this one, and it has quite a bit going for it (mouthfeel), but I cannot justify buying a 4 pack, and I can't quite call it world class. This is all subjective. I can see it being the holy grail for some, I guess I just prefer lighter milk stouts. Cheers.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I am frankly incredulous that I have not previously reviewed & rated this beer! How did I allow it to pass me by for so long? I sought this one out even though it only comes in a Bottle while I am trying to eradicate my backlog. That is indicative of how important it is to me to get this one in.

From the Bottle: "Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout"; "60 IBUs"; "The coffee lover's consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates, and two types of coffee, this Stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever."

I began by Pop!ping the cap & knowing that it was a very fresh bottle, I proceeded with a C-Line pour. Man, it came up quickly with a pseudo-cascade that formed two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, deep-brown head with excellent retention. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like my morning coffee - a mélange of deeply roasted beans from different locales that I blend together each day & fill the basket to the point that the water has to be coaxed through the filter. Rich, strong coffee with hints of chocolate & smoke. Mmm. Mouthfeel was thick, full, rich & creamy, like a dollop of coffee-chocolate ice cream had been scooped onto my tongue. Mmm. The taste was at once chocolaty and coffee-like with a hint of smoke. Mmm. I have had this many times over, but always out in town, where I rarely do field reviews any more. It is always a treat, just like it was tonight. Loads of lacing formed as I drank through the beer, savoring every sip. I guess that I have taken it for granted in the past since my time with it for this review makes me feel like a born-again virgin. It was like I had never experienced it before, while I know that such was not the case. Finish was more chocolaty than coffee, so I am going to say that it was semi-sweet, but if you want to go with semi-dry, I am not going to put up much of a fight. This was a truly enjoyable experience.

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Full of roasty malty flavor this brew would be great for a cold quiet night. I especially appreciate its limited hop profile. So many brew are massively over-hopped nowadays but his one does not disappoint. Would recommend to those who like stouts but has a definite bitter bite that some won't enjoy. CHEERS!

4.34/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.11/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Notes: this beer was bottled five months before opening.

L- Pours a dark, dark stout with with a half fingered tannish brown head. Very frothy and very fizzy. Loses it's head pretty soon.
S- Chocolate, vanilla bean, molasses, caramel, oatmeal, and coffee all melded together. Wonderful combination of aromas.
T- I get notes of bitter dark chocolate, sweet vanilla bean, creamy oatmeal, caramel, candied yams, and bitter roasted coffee. A slight alcoholic bite is also noted.
F- Decently thick bodied beer. Wholesome with slight carbonation. Pretty much what you'd expect.
O- Overall an extremely well made stout. What did I expect? CBS and KBS are absolutely phenomenal and some of the best beers I've ever had. This beer is literally the youth version of those. Of course this stout is great.

4.42/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company