Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,785 | Ratings: 16,354

Purchased from bottle on 11/9/16. Bottled 8/5/16 09:53:33.

L - Dark brown, translucent. Proper glass not readily available to determine the head color/level.
S - Coffee and chocolate prominent.
T - Chocolate flavor prominent on the palette initially, then the coffee flavor settles in if left to linger and absorb all the flavors of the beer. The aftertaste is slightly hoppy/bitter with prominent coffee notes.
F - Delightfully balanced. The carbonation is just there enough to remind you it's a stout, but is never overwhelming and attributes to the smoothness of this brew.
O - If I could have one of this stout versus all of the others that were tried before it, I would choose this every time. Looking forward to trying the Kentucky Breakfast Stout and Canadian Breakfast Stout when available, which are apparently even BETTER but only available every few years.

The rumors are true. Truly one of the best brews availible today. Impressed since the first one and I look for it every time I go... Nothing wrong with having one of these for breakfast either...

I love this beer, it's always in my top 5 favorite beers. I wish it was available year around. It's probably a good thing it isn't because I wouldn't drink anything else. Lol

So, this beer and you are going to have a good relationship if you both go into it with a good understanding of what each is bringing. This is not a beer to pound back on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn, it is not hoppy, it is not light nor bright. Those things are at times great, and if that's what you're looking for you're going to likely hate this beer. HOWEVER, if you want a thick cloudy, unctuous stout that packs a ton of flavor, then you're in for a good time. It's thick, velvety on the tongue and incredibly flavorful. It's at that "border-line meal replacement" level for a beer.

If you're doing breakfast for dinner it makes a nice replacement for a cup of coffee. That should give you a good idea of the intensity of the drink.

Another great stout from Founders, they really know how to make them. Dark brown, blackish with awesome flavor. Deep and touching to the soul, great blend of coffee and cocoa, simply perfection. The thing I love the most is that it isn't real hard to find all year round.

Easy to find and reasonably priced unlike 3 Floyds here. Grocery stores have it even. Pours a dark coffee color with excellent lacing. Most times will just drink it from the bottle and drink it fast as I cannot get enough. Tastes like excellent coffee, and dark chocolate (slight toffee and caramel notes with a little oatmeal). Predominately coffee and chocolate. I honestly could drink this when I wake up! Have to say this is one of the best beers I have ever had.

Frankly this is the cat's meow, the shizzle for my nizzle, or a like a great lay. Usually I will drink one to two of these beers at a time always wanting to drink more of it. Once and only once did I drink four in rapid succession going into the City of Chicago on Metra (yes they let you drink on the train which is strange since I am from Indiana and even though I left that state 15 years ago I still feel like I might get arrested for drinking on Metra it just still feels strange). After four of these beers I felt absolutely fantastic. My buzz or drunken haze was perfect. My burps were chocolate and coffee notes and a wonderful full feeling as if I had a great meal when I did't eat much that day. It also isn't overly filling for a Stout. This is probably one of the best beers made by anyone, and that I have had or will have (I just cannot say anything about his beer is wrong. It's liquid courage or a complete diet.

My father who never really drank in 72 years of life, who I have only seen drunk 2 times (with one large Sapporo in Las Vegas (the first time) and a strong Irish Coffee the second time (I am 42 and I have only seem drink a handful of times) drank this beer in 5 minutes and immediately wanted more. He was begging me to find out where to buy this and immediately ran out and bought some. Mind you this is a person who rarely if ever drinks. This beer is what ever Stout strives to be or should be it is that good.

A PERFECT SCORE indeed and the only perfect five I have given!

Had one of these for breakfast (edgy...I know). Damn fine. It's basically french press coffee (coffee snobs know) and cream with an ABV. Dark black (kvlt!). Smells and tastes like coffee and chocolate. So it pretty much combines three of the greatest thing in the galaxy-beer, chocolate and coffee and does it right. Nothing clever. Just damn fine.

Founders Breakfast Stout is another great beer. I found this beer on draft at Frisco Tap House in Columbia, MD. You must like coffee and dark beer to enjoy this one. Bottoms up!

One of the best stouts I have ever had. It has lower ABV than most stouts that I have consumed but I does not lack deep character that the others possess. Many sweet notes, easy to drink any time of day. As they always say, it is noon somewhere.

Hot damn is this a Great beer. Black as night with a caramel colored head about an inch tall. Espresso chocolate smell and intense rich tastes like it smells. Very well balance of flavors, malt and bite. I went through two cases last year and hope that i can find it again this year. Buy it you will not regret it!

This has the PERFECT look, no light shining through and a very dark caramel head. Has a great smell of chocolate and roasted coffee. And tastes just like it smells.

Founders Breakfast Stout

This is my all time favorite beer that is easily obtained year around, no questions asked.

Look: Dark brown with a light brown head on the pour.

Smell: Smells like chocolate and coffee, with a very enjoyable sweetness.

Taste: It taste amazing! Same as the smell with chocolate and coffee, dessert like flavors all around.

Feel: Perfect for this type of beer, not too think but not too thing or watery.

Overall, this is my go to during the fall and winter months when I need that full bodied dessert flavored beverage. I highly recommend picking this up to enjoy. If you like this, then you will enjoy KBS, which is a little harder to find but tastes even better. As always, enjoy responsibly!

It's finally here in Southern California!

Serving type: 12 oz bottle into a shaker pint

Pours jet black with chocolate brown suds. Smells of cold brew coffee, dark chocolate, a slight alcohol scent, along with a pleasant mocha scent. Taste reflects the smell. Coffee and dark chocolate galore! Initial coffee flavor and bitterness leads into dark chocolate flavors that finish with a lingering chocolate bitterness. Feel is thick, creamy, which works great with the heavy flavors. Overall, this is an excellent beer with great coffee and chocolate aspects.

A - Pours an oily jet black. Forms a finger of dark tan head. Whispy lacing left behind.
S - Tons of black coffee, even goes so far as to have the smokiness associated with coffee grounds or fresh ground Haitian and Arabic coffees. Some sweet milkyness and tons of malt. No hops present.
T - Absolutely amazing. Flavor development is sweet cream, caramel and chocolate, this fades into bittersweet baker's chocolate, finally, this fades into bitter, smokey malt and coffee. Fantastic.
O - An absolutely amazing, 5 star stout. One of my all time favorites and a must try for fans of stouts.
V - Available in four packs of bottles. High value!

One of the best beers that I've ever had. Period. Excellent! It's so good that I'm going to buy the rest of the inventory at the liquor store near me, so as I'll have some for the year, due to it being seasonal. Yes, it's that good! (I'm drinking one right now!)

Beautiful black liquid with minimal coffee-colored head. Smells of delicious coffee and chocolate malt. Taste is decadent, very smooth to begin with, later warming up to chocolate and coffee with a hint of booze. Very smooth mouthfeel. Slightly bitter finish.

I'm sold, one of the best oatmeal stouts I've ever had.

Pours a dark black, opaque and almost thick with a coco powder color head. Nose is coffee and roastiness. Taste is amazing. Coffee, chocolate, and roast. Flavors come out even stronger as it warms. Terrific and outstanding stout.

WOW! If you love stouts, then you'll love this. Strong notes of chocolate, coffee & caramel on a strong malt backbone. Rather high IBU for a stout, but hard to tell except for a slight bitter aftertaste.

This is the epitome of stout beer brewing that all other stout beer should try to achieve. The subtle smooth flavor make this a very enjoyable experience.

What Auraan said exactly as described. First try of this beer thought omg this really is for breakfast what a great way to start the morning. High ABV it is not for seriously thinking you will get anything else done besides lift sip enjoy repeat. Flavor really opens the longer it sits and warms a bit. Been waiting months for it to come back into season.

Thought I would knock two big ones out for tonight. Poured the 2014 edition into a cognac snifter and off I go. It pours a small brown head and is inky black.

The smell is dominated by coffee. Its smells almost like a cold mocha or one of those iced coffees that the pour chocolate syrup in. If I smelled this without knowing what it was, I would assume that it was not a beer. It really smells rich and full without being overbearing. The smell is one of the best parts of this beer.

When I started to taste this beer, and it took a couple, I really can appreciate just what a job Founders has done with it. This blows much heavier stouts out of the water, and I feel that this should be drank as fresh as possible, because the coffee is just right. The predominant taste is chocoloate coffee with hints smoky dark roasted malts. It's warming, refreshing, and just excellent.

Founders is my favorite brewery for a reason, and honestly it held that title before I ever tasted this beer. I think they have gotten dark beers just right. Between this, their always excellent porter (a go-to), and KBS, I don't think any other brewery makes such excellent darker beers. These aren't the biggest and boldest of beers, but there excellent balance is precisely why I think they excel past any over-hyped IPA or stout.

I don't even like coffee, but I love this beer. This is the quintessential imperial stout, we'll until I try the KBS next spring.

Goes down so smooth, and is so drinkable for 8.3 ABV. Was fortunate to set a 4 pack at my local go to beer spot. Hopefully, there will be some more when I go back.

A- Pitch black with light brown head. Good head retention and nice lacing.

S- Coffee aroma is strong upfront. Chocolate in the background.

T- Very strong coffee notes at first and chocolate follows. Nice and roasty taste, although I find it to lean more towards the bitter side i feel as if it use a bit more sweetness. Overall it's Awesome.

M- Light carbonation with decent amount of body. Almost perfect here.

O- The body was a bit more heavy and just somewhat sweeter this would be perfect. The strong coffee taste is amazing with the chocolate playing as a supporting role. I find this an almost impeccable beer. I highly recommend.

I hate beers with goofy ingredients. So I was doubtful I'd like a beer with chocolate and coffee.

I love this beer. It smacks your whole palate like a 327 lb. lineman, then runs you over. It's so wonderful to drink in the fall with the cool air, and a good rain. I'll be sad to see it leave the growler in my fridge knowing that it won't be there next time I walk into my favorite wine/beer shop.

It won't get you over seasonal depression, but it will make you not care about it so much.

Simply amazing. One of the best beers of my days. Only problems is that it is seasonal. I would drink this year round if possible. At first smell it wins you over. Solid pour - dies down slowly with good lacing. Smells strongly of malts and chocolate with some coffee tones. Taste lingers just right. Full bodied with tons of great flavors. Chocolate/oats/malts to start with a solid coffee finish. Amazing beer. Can not recommend this more.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company