Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,743 | Ratings: 16,171
4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Nice, rich, stout coffee aroma. I was anxious to taste this beer after picking up its nose.

Good mouthfeel. Possibly a little thin, but not enough to detract from the overall impression

Breakfast Stout is the perfect moniker. The dark roasted coffee maltiness was evident without being overwhelming.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

2008 vintage served in my DFH snifter. Poured an opaque black with a half inch mocha-colored head that quickly settled into a soapy swirl. A band of foam coalesced around the shoulders of the glass. Some lacing present during the tasting, but weak legs. Nose is coffee beans, brown sugar, malt and a grapefruit sweetness (weird and out of place, but I picked it up nonetheless). Taste follows nose as well as oats. Mouthfeel is medium and lightly effervescent. Could have had a little more body for the style. Finish was also a bit chalky. All and all, easy drinking and flavorful without being overly sweet. Alcohol was well-hidden. I'd make this a staple if it were more readily available. This beer definitely lived up to my expectations.

12 oz bottle provided by Hopsbreath, poured into tulip stout glass

While I'm not horribly new to the micro beer world, this will be my first of many reviews! Let the journey begin!

A- Poured a beautiful black oil looking substance. Dark as the night! Very thin brown head, left nice lacing.

S- I felt as if I was actually about to take a sip of my morning coffee. Strong espresso notes as well as some roasted malts.

T- Favorite part of the beer. Hits your tongue in waves, very nice strong roasted coffee with a creamy chocolate finish. Excellent.

M- Pretty thick and creamy, was expecting from the look of it to be a little more thicker but all is well. Very smooth.

D- I find it amazing that this is 8.3%ABV, the alcohol is well hidden. Could drink this all night but I feel that the alcohol could creep up on you! One of my favorite stouts I have tasted (thus far). I am very glad I saved this to be my first review.

EDIT:
After coming back to this beer, i adjusted some of my scores to off set how i thought this beer compared to other Imperial Stouts. A very good beer worth trying still, but i have found love in different beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I originally had this back in July 2003 at the Michigan Beer Fest. I don't know if they've dulled the sheer impact of this or if my palate is simply more adjusted to big, burnt flavors; but either way, I feel this is much better -- more well-rounded and balanced, perhaps -- than that initial tasting.

Black, robust looking brew with a fleeting tan/putty-colored foam. Coffee and crispy, burnt toast provide a logical counterpart to layers of dark and semi-sweet chocolates. Carries through to an inititally thick, chocolatey, almost sweet flavor. That's pushed aside rather rapidly by some burnt malts and some double-pump-chocolate Starbucks concoction. Some hop bitterness emerges as well, pushing its way through the more natural roasted flavors.

Surprisingly smooth, silky even, in the finish for all of its rough edges. They probably could have reduced the hop load just a bit. The roasted bitterness and burnt chocolate flavors tame the sweetness well enough on their own. Then again, maybe not.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A - a beautifully poured beer with a head that sticks. Deep black, ruby hue and rich mocha head.

S - smells of deep roast, coffee, raisin, fig, etc. I didn't expect the standard to be this complex.

T - phenomenal. This could be the best stout ive ever had. Roast, coffee, dark fruit.

O - I will buy this every time I get the chance.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Full onyx blackness in a glass, appears immaculately clean and unblemished. The brown head craters here and there, uneven, comes with a sticky thick lacing. The toasted chocolate and cocoa element in the nose outweighed by denser oatmeal and bitter chicory scents, the edginess even dampens the sweetness of the raisin, black grape, plum fruit, green coffee bean adds to the cut, does not lack for length in your nostrils. Full-bodied, smooth in mouthfeel with persistent carbonation for its weight. The grapey sweetness frames the attack, plum, raisin and raspberry fruit. Quite soon after the chicory, espresso bean, grilled nut, dark chocolate shades ratchet up the bitterness. The oatmeal and light caramel notes salve the wound. Oily texture develops at the end, extends presence. Fluidity deceptive, after third glass your gut feels a touch heavy.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. As a side note, I had this with breakfast for extra fun.

Look: very black with no highlights even when held up to the light. There's almost no head at all but what little head it has is a deep brown. There's some lacing but not all that much.

Smell: roasted grains and a big coffee scent is what I get. Smells like a good cup of coffee, living up to the name.

Taste: coffee and bittersweet chocolate are the two tastes I get the most. Very delicious. Tastes like a cup of coffee. There's no alcohol taste at all and its generally just very pleasant to drink. Not challenging in any way.

Feel: fairly thin for a double stout. I think if anything is a weak point of the beer it would be this. Its on the thin side of medium bodied. There's no bitterness at all present so I'm surprised to see it at 60IBU.

Drink: very, very high. If I hadn't intentionally paced myself I would've finished my glass very quickly. Its very easy to drink and could definitely be sessioned if you wanted to go that route. This is especially true in light of the alcohol content.

Overall, I dunno if this beer is worthy of a top 10 spot but it certainly deserves to be up there somewhere. This is one of the better stouts I've had and I wholeheartedly recommend it. I'll be having again. Good job, Founders!

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

I thought Breakfast would be a good starting point for a recent stout tasting. Since Founders says that it can be aged up to a year, I’ve decided to review this beer after 8 months.

I poured Breakfast into a Chimay Chalice. I got an inky body with a big khaki head. Scents of French roasted coffee dominated the nose. Like in the smell, the beer tasted mostly like French roast combined with dark chocolate, tangy alcohol, and hints of licorice. As the beer warmed, spicy alcohol emerged as well as flavors of milky oatmeal. Towards the end of the beer, coffee flavors reemerged along with hints of earthy grains while the spicy alcohol dissipated.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to TheSevenDuffs for this bottle.

The brew pours pitch black with a mocha head.

Smells of coffee, that's pretty much the nose for me on this one.

Interesting taste on this stout. I can taste bitter coffee, mocha, chocolate, there is a slight astringent taste from the coffee. There is a light hop bitterness in the finish. I am not a fan of hopped imperial stouts, this beer has the perfect amount of hop bitterness. The alcohol has a presence, a little much for a brew that is just over 8%.

A nice medium mouthfeel, a fairly full bodied brew.

This is a good beer. I had this beer a little hyped up in my mind because it is my first Founder's brew. I would definitely grab some more if I had the chance. Can't wait to try their other offerings.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out pitch black with a thick head. First smells are of coffee and creamy chocolate.dark roasted malt is very present. Taste is slight bitter with coffee overtones and a dark roasted malt. Hops come out in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is on the heavy side. Pretty good brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle purchased from Joe Canal's RT 1 in NJ.

Appearance: Black, poured like viscous motor oil. Almost no head.

Smell: coffee is predonimant, chocolate, little burnt nuts.

Taste: chocolate becomes more prominent when tasting and the coffee becomes less. Full flavor and not that bitter, though not sweet at all.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and viscous.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable though > 8 ABV. Though the taste and flavor profile is fantastic, it smells even better.

Looking forward to trying other Founders beers.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Nearly black pour with a thin film of quick-receding dark tan head. Aroma dominated by slightly bitter espresso and just a trace of cocoa.

Moderate carbonation and a thick, creamy mouthfeel. Huge coffee flavors strike a nice bitter-roasty balance. Subtle chocolate character emerges before a more bitter espresso finish.

Great heft to this beer and lots of coffee character, although it drinks lighter than its 8.3%.

12oz short bottle, 09 release, uber fresh

A: inky black with a one finger dark tan head. Now that is what a stout should look like.

S: Smells like a strong coffee, not much else coming through.

T: Ok it smells like coffee and sure tastes like coffee, big ole cup of jet black kona baby! Lots of bitter flavor, but it's a coffee bitter and it is in the right amount to make it good and not overpowering. Not
much of the chocolate coming through, it is hidden in the background.

M: Smooth. Smooth and thick, but the coffee seems to cut this brew enough to give it a rough edge so to speak.

Overall Wow big taste difference between a fresh bottle and a bottle with a year's age on it. Aging brings out the chocolate and mellows the coffee. I like this one fresh but it's better with some age.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

I have a 1/2 barrel of this on tap in my home. Founders packaged my particular keg on Oct 11, 2010 and I took possession of it on Nov 19, 2010. This is the most expensive keg I've EVER had! After tax and 0 waste, this stout cost me $2.15 per pint. So no matter how good my review, chances are that I will never pay this much again for home beer.

Appears as a beautiful stout should. Pours marvelous at 15psi with 1" of foam on full speed pours through 1/8" lines, stainless couplers, shanks and Perlick faucets. I have never had a beer so well behaved.

The smell is coffee mainly. Wonderful, amazing coffee like I've never smelled before. I am not a coffee fan, but adore coffee beer. Very faint chocolate odor might exist and maybe subtle, dark fruit....prune? I really expected to smell much more.

The taste is amazing. From the tip of my tongue to the back, there's no t-bud left unsatisfied. But mainly, I'm still getting almost exclusively coffee. I think if this beer were allowed to age the chocolate would eventually emerge.

Mouthfeel is great. The beer is a treat and a novelty and I'll enjoy every last pint. It's amazing and I'm so grateful to have the luxury of enjoying an entire keg.

The drinkability for me is high. I could easily consume 6 or 7 pints of this (And not be worth a sh!t), but have an amazing time (I'm sure). To be honest, for 8.3% abv, this beer is far too drinkable. I wish I could give it a 6.

In conclusion, Thank God for Founders. Every beer they brew is fantastic and their normal Breakfast Stout is certainly no exception. But again, the price per pint is so excessive that I cannot in good faith justify buying this for home consumption. I will most likely turn to Heine Brother's Coffee Stout brewed by BBC in Louisville as an excellent alternative (87¢ per pint for mug club members)

*Drank on 10/25/10

A: Syrupy opaque black, 1 finger khaki head, dissipates quickly with a lot of lacing.
S: WOW...so much coffee, an epic amount. Very nutty, little dried fruit presence.
T: So much coffee and toasted nuttiness. Very roasted, very malty. Almost too much of a coffee flavor.
M: Leaves throat fairly easily. Does not stick to mouth very much.
D: Very good - drank with a slice of apple pie, which helped tame the coffee taste. Great for a cold night.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours dark black with a thin brown head. Light seems unable to pass through it.

Smells strongly of roasted coffee.

Tastes strongly of coffee as well with a slightly bitter quality reminiscent of unsweetened chocolate. There's a lot of flavor here for not being overly thick.

I'm not a coffee fan, but this goes down very smooth and has a nice balance.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to SaCkErZ9 for a great box of coffee beers. Been wanting to try this one and the description on the bottle has me even more excited.

A: Poured a rich brown/black with litte head that disappeared before I finished typing about the appearance. Visible carbonation rises from the bottom of my glass.
S: Forward coffee and chocolate notes. Very roasty, malty, and aromas laced with cocoa.
T: Stonger malt and still very coffee rich. Chocolate flavor is well balanced with the other flavors.
M: Complexity covers my mouth, as each drink hits takes you across the spectrum of flavors and aromas found in this treat. Not as viscous as KBS, but better IMO.
D: Great beer! I wish we had the ability to buy these. I love that it is a 12oz (just enough), but I want to have 3-4 on hand at all times. Great for breakfast, late night, or just when you want a solid beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this many times. Ultra thick pour. Large rocky, dark brown head that leaves good lacing. Body is black as sin. Aroma is strong coffee, oatmeal, some vanilla and light chocolate. Taste is strong coffee, and finishes with bitterness from chocolate, and some oatmeal, as well as light tobacco. Alcohol is well hidden. Creamy mouthfeel, light bubbles.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Near black with a finger of mocha-colored head that dissipates quickly, but leaves vertical columns of lacing. Strong aroma of coffee and milk chocolate. This year's (2015) has a more coffee-forward taste than I remember, with big roasted flavors and just a little cream and chocolate in the background, as well as a bitter finish that manages to avoid being acerbic. The flavors meld and the whole thing becomes much more smooth as it warms. Creamy mouthfeel with just enough carbonation. Amazing beer. A classic.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured aggressively into a pint glass, gives about a finger and a half of tan head lacing very minimal lacing. Black in color, not allowing any light to pass through. S: Amazing to say the least. Smells very chocolaty with hints of coffee and maple syrup with subtle notes of dark fruit. Not any hints of oatmeal. T: Immediately taste chocolate and coffee, and after it goes down it leaves very very strong oatmeal flavor with hints of maple syrup. F: Moderate carbonation, I was expecting it to be smoother, like a milky froth, but does not take away from the quality of the beer. O: 4.25. Great treating beer. Would not recommend drinking with breakfast, as this is a heavy, strong tasting beer, but perfect for a winter night, or summer of you're like me and enjoy stouts all year round.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Had a bottle of this with dinner. Poured into my DFH Snifter.

A - Black as night with a good amount of light brown head.

S - Coffee, Coffee and more.. . Dark Chocolate! Some roasted grains and a slight bit of sweetness.

T - Fantastic! Coffee and Chocolate are the predominate flavors, but there is a good amount of complexity. Nice tart finish.

M - Smooth and full. Medium to heavy bodied, with a decent amount of carbonation.

D - Readily available, decently priced, good sized bottles. If only they were six packs, I would give this a five. As soon as Founders his MD, I'm sure this will become a staple.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Perfect black. Opaque to hell and back. Tiny head that dissipates immediately, not exactly unexpected given the high alcohol.

Smell: Very malty. Notes of dry oats, slightly sweet. Caramel malts predominate. Very interesting, very enticing.

Taste: Sweet, clean, malty. Strong flavors of oatmeal, very grainy and bready. Slightly hoppy in the middle. Finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Thick, low carbonation, low hops. Slightly chewy.

Drinkability: A very nice double stout. I'm not sure I'd consider it one of the best in the world (as per the BA ratings), but it's amazingly well-balanced and makes for a great drinking experience.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to Nlmartin for this trade. I've wanted this beer forever and he really came through for me with 2 bottles of it (not to mention the other goodies we traded for).

Pour was like thin mud, gorgeous looking. At first I almost thought there wouldn't be much head but I was proven wrong by a less than half inch cap of brown suds. Milky chocolate dominates the nose, along with a bit of roastiness and some chocolate syrup. I also smell a faint trace of hops.

This is one you'll want to let warm up a little longer than normal in my opinion. It's nice when it's cool but it kicks ass once it really warms. Taste is again, dark chcolate with a slightly sweet milkiness, a bare hint of tart sourness that I get in some stouts, espresso and an immense roastiness that I've never experienced in a stout before. I really like the finish ... you can definitely taste the oatmeal.

Mouth is on the medium side with carbonation that does the job quietly. I would surely buy this again and again if Founders ever saw fit sell it in WA. Excellent stout and I'm glad I have another bottle cellaring!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Big thanks to 67couple for this. My first Founders beer.

Edit: Looked at the bottled on date 09/03/10. So almost has a year on it already. Funny the alcohol is still so present.

A: Super black and pretty thick. Slight, maybe quarter finger, dark tan head quickly recedes to a thin pond of foam. Very sticky lacing.

S: Deep dark roasted coffee. Light notes of dark chocolate. A light smokiness. No burnt aromas which is pretty nice. Some vanilla notes. Very light oats. And yes, I do detect some freshly tanned leather.

T: Sweet chocolate upfront. Then taken over by the bitter dark roast coffee. Big roastiness, with that light smokiness. Oats and vanilla in the aftertaste. Sort of hot for only 8.3%.

M: Full bodied. Very thick and creamy, no doubt about that. The alcohol burn fades fairly quickly, leaving just a hint in the back of the throat. But the oaty, vanilla, coffee roastiness lingers for a while longer, allowing you to enjoy between sips.

O: A top notch beer, IMO. The alcohol burn is the only downfall of this one. Hopefully after some age that will mellow out and let the rest shine through.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

An agressive pour into a goblet style glass provides a almost 1/2" chocolate malt brown head.
Nice lacing on the glass, not cloppy, and not stringy, but somewhere in between.

Very powerful coffee smell with a dark chocolate semi-sweet note that lingers in the background.

just a few minutes in the glass warming have brought about flavors that weren't there at the start. Cocoa beans is what I really am left with for taste after a pleasant malty/coffee start the flavor recedes to a cocoa sweet bitterness.

Velvet in a glass best describes the mouthfeel. Its slick and its soft.

At first I thought this brew was a one and done for the night just because of the body. Now after trying this interpretation of the style I think this cold, wet Michigan night would greatly benefit from one more bottle.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company