Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,720 | Ratings: 16,081

Received as part of Black Booty '08 from ahatcher78 - many thanks.

Black as night, no light at all comes through. Looks thick and viscous while being poured. Cocoa colored one-fingered head that settles to a thin cap, and leaves sporadic lacing behind.

Incredible aroma - Lots of roasty and sweet malt goodness. Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, a touch of vanilla, and a hint of alcohol. So inviting.

Flavor is similar to aroma. Starts of with roasted bitterness - bittersweet chocolate and espresso. The beer then instantly sweetens up with milk and dark chocolate, oatmeal, and vanilla. Some herbal hops and spice as well. Notes of sherry, oak, and a light warming alcohol burn. Finish is a battle between sweet malt and dry roast. Absolutely delicious.

Rich and full-bodied, velvety smooth, viscous, thick and chewy. Incredible drinkability - but this is my only bottle!! Perfect amount of alcohol. Wonderfully balanced. Just an exceptional beer that lives up to the hype.

WOW! If you love stouts, then you'll love this. Strong notes of chocolate, coffee & caramel on a strong malt backbone. Rather high IBU for a stout, but hard to tell except for a slight bitter aftertaste.

I hate beers with goofy ingredients. So I was doubtful I'd like a beer with chocolate and coffee.

I love this beer. It smacks your whole palate like a 327 lb. lineman, then runs you over. It's so wonderful to drink in the fall with the cool air, and a good rain. I'll be sad to see it leave the growler in my fridge knowing that it won't be there next time I walk into my favorite wine/beer shop.

It won't get you over seasonal depression, but it will make you not care about it so much.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours out of the bottle absolutely black and with the consistancy of old burnt motor oil from a junkyard engine. Wonderful whipped coffee mousse head that recedes to a brown film that resembles the crema (sp?), that lighter brown foam skim, on the top of a perfectly made espresso.

S: Huge nose of roasted coffee, toasted malt, and fresh-baked oatmeal raisin cookies.

T: Big and bold flavors flying all over the place! Roasted coffee, toasted malt, brown sugar, espresso, molassas, oatmeal, bitter chocolate, hops, and burnt stuff.

M: Thick and chewy. This stuff actually pours like Vitamin D chocolate milk so it's silky and creamy like liquid velvet. It completely coats the tongue allowing the finish to linger and develop.

D: Drinkability is off the scale. It's like drinking the best oatmeal stout and the finest espresso while eating a plate of homemade bitter chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies. Alcohol? Shmalcohol. There are so many wonderfully complex flavors and aromas going on here you will totally forget that it's packing 8.3% abv (that's really not that high anymore, is it?). This deserves all of the accolades heaped upon it and then some. Extrordinary!

A: Pitch black and thick with a towering dark coffee colored foaming head. Heavy lacing.

S: Nice roasted coffee and chocolate.

T&M: Full-bodied, smooth, thick and chewy feel on the palate. Oatmeal, roasted malt with a hoppy character mingled in - some herbal spice and leaf. Bitter chocolate. Plenty of coffee flavors. Hints of sherry in the warming alcohol, with a low spice. Sweet malts and dry, bitter alcohol burn.

Breakfast Stout? One of the most interesting American Double Stouts on planet Earth. Absolutely delicious. I've tried this in the bottle previously and a special aged '08 the same night as this one. The fresher the better. I didn't particularly care the '08 as the alcohol scent and taste is accentuated.

Poured from the bottle into a clean tulip glass - this one I wanted to be able to capture the aroma and look of it -

It poured a beautiful black velvet with medium dark head that sat upon the black as sin body. The Aroma of this beer immediately hit my nose and began making me want more. As I drew closer to the glass, getting nearer to the tulip. the most amazing and perfect smell of coffee with hints of dark chocolate arise. Perfectly roasted beans tantalize the nose!

Taste - this is where it all comes together - nice dark and roasted malts hit you first, sliding over the palate where it dances on your tongue where bitter and dark chocolate flavors meet and combine into this fantastic brew.

Mouthfeel - a bit more on the medium to heavy side, the carbonation is perfect for the style.

Overall - this is my favorite stout, I have yet to have a better stout than this one. I always look forward to it's arrival on the shelves and I'm enjoying my last one tonight. What a world-class beer!

This beer was obtained in trade from Frozensoul327. Thanks Eric! And thanks in advance for sending a spare!

This one poured out a very dark brown/black, with a one and a half finger head that started out a dark chocolate brown and faded to a medium tan. I know it was clear when I poured it, because I could tell from what I was pouring... but I don't think a ruby laser could cut through this puppy now.

Aroma was bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruits, roasted barley, and hints of coffee... very powerful and layered. Damn, this one was incredible.

Taste was of strong roasted malts, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. I could tell there was some oatmeal in there as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect... deep, rich, chewy, smooth, silky, all rolled into one. It held onto the tongue just long enough to impart all the nuances of flavor.

Drinkability... well, it is taking all that I have not to run downstairs and grab the other one I have in my special locked cabinet.

This was truly an interesting experience. For a long time I did not like the darker, roasted beers, but I have really gotten a taste for them now. I still prefer IPA's, but these are so different, I am really learning that you can love more than one style equally.

This is a bittersweet review, as well. As I began this review, I found off of Yahoo that Eddie Guerrero, a wrestler with the WWE, was found dead in his hotel room this morning. So this glass is lifted in his honor. I could not find a better beer to toast someone of his caliber with.

Happy Thanksgiving 2008
I'm having a Breakfast Stout for breakfast. This is my 21st review and my first all 5, A+ rating. I can't say enough about this beer. A black hole lets more light through and i want to bury my nose in that coffee foamed head. Smells like good dark chocolate melted into great dark roast coffee perfectly blended into a creamy smooth stout. I have to calm down. Nowhere to go but back down the quality chain from here. Its got to be a sin for an 8.3% ABV to be sooo easy to quaff.

I have to admit that I've drunk enough breakfast stout in a bottle to float a good size boat but never reviewed it. Thanks to One Stop for having this on draft. It's mid September and the temperature is in the 90's. Perfect ipa weather but breakfast stout is on draft and I've never had it on draft and couldn't turn it down. This is by far my favorite stout.

Poured into a tulip glass. Dark as night with a creamy dark beige head. Nice lacing. Looks like it should. Perfect.

Smell is chocolate and strong coffee. Maybe a little malt but the coffee and chocolate dominate.

The taste will bring a tear to the eye of a stout lover. Coffee to start followed by chocolate and malt. Lingering coffee aftertaste. Love the bitterness from the dark chocolate and dark coffee. This is the taste that all other stouts strive for.

Mouthfeel is perfect. The oatmeal base makes this super smooth and full bodied. All stouts should be this smooth. Perfect.

Overall the quintessential stout. So far there is no other stout that comes close. Prairie Bomb is close but the mouthfeel doesn't compare. After a fall or winter hike this is the ultimate beer. Mid September and 90 degrees it's still great.

At One Stop they added a little Crown Royal Vanilla to a sample. Unbelievable.

Probably one of the most complex beers I have ever tasted. It is amazing when served in the Dogfish Head goblet. The best beer I have ever had.

I enjoy the mixture of flavors that come off the beer. You have to really allow your pallet to just eat up all the amazing flavor that this beer provides. Possibly one of the best breweries in the United States.

This is the epitome of stout beer brewing that all other stout beer should try to achieve. The subtle smooth flavor make this a very enjoyable experience.

Holy crap this was one incredible coffee stout brewed by Founder's! This beer poured a super dark black color with a really dark tan head that was frothy in texture. Lots of lacing. Smell has an intense roasted coffee note to it, like opening a package of Starbucks whole bean coffee. The flavor on this baby was really, really intense. I you like coffee, you'll love this! Even though roasted coffee was the main flavor there was good balance here. I noticed some malts and some cream flavor and maybe some bittersweet chocolate in the finish. This wasn't a beer one could drink a whole lot of, even though I did have quite a few, because of the intensity and alcohol content (I don't know what it is but it must be somewhat high). This is the most flavorful coffee stout I have had as of yet, and I don't think it could get much better than this. Better than Bell's Java Stout IMO.
original rating: 4.85 (all 5's except drinkability was a 4)

Review edited:
After having this about a gazillion times at the brewery and going through 5 four packs of this since it's been released in bottles I have realized that this is my beer and only straight 5's will justify my love for this beer. I love the roasty flavors mixed with the rich coffee experience then milky chocolate, bitter chocolate, creaminess and smoothness in a thick body. I thought that maybe I would get sick of it but it appears I need it more and more the more I drink it. Just an amazing beer and one that I can get nearly all the time at the brewery. Thanks Founders.

Duvel Tulip
Two weeks aged

A: Aggressive pour, big one finger light brown head. Very dark brown almost black can not see through. Great sticky lacing.
S: Huge coffee/espresso, Roasted Malt, Dark Chocolate, , Sweet Milk Chocolate, touch of vanilla.
T: Taste as the smell suggests. Roasted, chocolate, slightly sweet. Light bitterness to balance this out in the end.
M: Smooth, creamy fantastic. Lingering bitterness
D/O: This is super drinkable. The 8% plus ABV is very well hidden. Can't put it down. This was fantastic especially when fresh.

On tap at Stone 44 Public House about one month ago. Going from memory as best as I can remember.

A: Pitch black ; thin tan head that dissipates quickly. Viscous like used 50 weight motor oil.

S: roasted coffee and dark chocolate dominate the nose, some strong alcohol esters in the foreground.

T: Oh yeah: so rich and decadent. Tastes of rich coffee and sweet milk chocolate. warming alcohol finish

M: velvety smooth.

O: Oh how do I love thee, let me count the ways. My hands down favorite for all time. I've had this in bottle form many times over the past several years, but was fortunate enough to experience on tap from an appropriately aged keg(about 4 months) just recently. I slightly overindulged on this particular evening. 5 pints in a row as I recall, and had to take a taxi home. It was a good night. I can't say enough to express my undying love for FBS. Thank you Founders for creating a beer just for me. So perfect in every way. I would even consider mainlining it. IV anyone?

Black as midnight with a coffee colored head. The head on this is amazingly thick. Nice retention and stickiness.

Black coffee, bitter chocolate, and a slight sweetness from the oatmeal. Honestly, I don't think I've smelled a better brew.

Each mouthful of this brew has a different taste. One sip you get chocolate, with another you get coffee, and with another you get the oatmeal. This is rich and thick. Complex most definitely. Damn good.

Perfect as an after dinner beer. This one could easily be an all nighter or a one and done. It's really up to the mood of the drinker. Me? I think it's a perfect dessert beer to go with your tiramisu or perhaps that luscious chocolate cake.

This is probably the best beer I have ever tried. I am a huge fan of stouts, and this takes the cake. Perfect balance of coffee and chocolate, a little creamy, just overall an amazing beer. When poured into a glass has a thick creamy head that gives a nice supplementary flavor to the beer. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Guinness.

Impossibly huge coffee/espresso notes on the nose and tongue, along with other typical stout profiles (chocolate, roasted malt, etc.) Medium carbonation. Good retention. The +8% ABV is extremely well hidden. Perfect example of the style. So delicious.

Stout season is real. There is nothing better than fresh Breakfast stout from the source. All coffee upfront, then chocolate and alcohol. Surprisingly drinkakable for the ABV.

Pours pitch black with a healthy brown head which clings beautifully to the glass. Bold, authentic coffee aroma with rich, dark chocolate and toasted malt elements in the aroma. One can really taste the added ingredients! There's a nice bitter hop nuance present in the end that is a wonderful surprise. The mouth feel is quite full and smooth. All of the flavors mesh perfectly... it's nothing less than spectacular! I can find no faults in this libation whatsoever - it's truly one in a million. For the lovers of big beers and the almighty java, this could be the sweetest nectar of the gods...

Appearance: Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass which resulted in a very small head, maybe the size of the thickness of a pencil, which dissipated within 1 full minute. Very dark, almost black with a hint of bronze in the head.

Smell: Strong coffee and chocolate, as one would expect

Taste: Again, coffee up front and chocolate on the back end, perfectly balanced. A little caramel in there too. No prolonged aftertaste which is a pleasant surprise. You really could drink this stuff for breakfast and it wouldn't seem out of place.

Feel: a touch of carbonation, but not overly carbonated. Just enough to give you a little bite and remind you what you're drinking.

Overall: Not much to criticize on this one. You know what to expect going in and it doesn't disappoint from pretty much any aspect. You're not going to drink more than 1 (maybe 2) of these so sit back and enjoy it with an old fashioned donut. Not a glaze. Not a Boston creme. An old fashioned.

Appearance - Dark as night, motor oil, viscous, can't see a damn thing through it. barely any head, but the khaki bubbles linger and make it gorgeous.

Smell - WOW coffee, espresso. If you have ever had a chocolate covered espresso bean this is what it smells like

Taste - Exactly like the nose. Chocolate covered espresso beans, some char in the backbone, such an amazing beer.

Mouthfeel - Chewy at 8%, perfectly carbonated.

Overall - This was a short review for me, but this beer gets an absolute A+ for me, balanced perfectly, nothing too over the top, just an incredible beer. Coffee, chocolate, espresso shine through, i feel privileged to be able to drink this. Thank you founders.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter:

Look: Pours an amazing jet black with about and inch of head. Lacing is present and retention is great.

Smell: Coffee hits you straight in the face along with notes of chocolate and roasted malts!

Taste: Tons of coffee notes up front! Also tastes of chocolate, roasted malts, oats, and a small hint of vanilla. Super smooth breakfast stout!

Feel: Nice medium to heavy body. Silky and smooth!

Overall: The best coffee stout out there hands down! This is one of my favorite beers! I purchase enough of this brew to get me through to the next season when it comes out. It ages great so no need to worry about it going bad. If you haven't tried this beer yet what are you waiting for?

Poured from bottle into imperial glass. This is a special review and a beer Ive wanted to get ahold of for quite some time.

Poured a motor oil black with a one-finger mocha-colored head. Totally opaque...no light penetration whatsoever. Poured very smooth, as expected.

Aroma is that of black coffee up front with hints of dark chocolate, roasted malts, and oat. Smelled absolutely immaculate.

Wow! The taste follows the nose. Black coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, and some oatiness. Little bit of bitterness too on the back end. This is just amazing. At 8.3% ABV, there is no hint of alcohol whatsoever. If you like coffee, this is right down your alley. Breakfast in a bottle...

One word...rich. The mouthfeel is creamy, thick, and velvety smooth going down. Definitely a full-bodied brew, but it offers superb drinkability. I had to stop myself from drinking this heavenly nectar too fast so I could savor it, but its just that friggin' good!

Overall this is the best stout, and to date, the best beer I have ever had, period. I have never given a perfect score to a beer on here before, but this one gets it from me. Very refreshing to see a much ballyhooed beer live up to its enormous hype. If you like stouts, drink this. It will change your life forever. Its that good. Thank you to Founders for this amazing take on an imperial stout. Now if I could only score some KBS and CBS...

Normally I don't like declaring one thing my "favorite," be it a movie, a song, a book or whatever. My tastes just vary so much from year to year and even day to day. That said, Founders Breakfast Stout is my favorite beer. Hands down. It is the beer that got me into stouts. It is the beer that got me away from that devil drink called wine. It rekindled my love affair with craft brews, coffee and even the diseased whore's mitten that is the state of Michigan, a perpetual thorn in the side of common decency and God's favorite state in the Union, my home, the Buckeye state of Ohio.

Breakfast Stout saved my life.

Well no, not really, but it is very good. Every fall my girlfriend and I call up the local liquor store every few days until they say it's in.. Then we go and buy it pretty much every time we get beer until it runs out (so like once a week). Lately we've been buying multiple four-packs at a time because it seems to get more popular and run out quicker every year. I would implore Founders to make this a year round thing, though that might take away from the "specialness" of it. Really, I'd just hope they make more next year.

So what is the actual experience like?

You'll just have to go out and try it for yourself. The only things I can really say are that it's thick like crude oil with a strong-but-not-too-strong coffee flavor. It will coat your mouth and warm you heart. Honestly, it's just that good. It will open your eyes. It will change your mind, your life, your very soul. It was. It is. It will always be. It is the alpha and the omega. It was there at my first love of stouts, and it will be there at the end of my liver.

Breakfast Stout is one of those rare drinks that pleases everyone. My girlfriend and I have very different beer tastes, but we can both agree that this is the best beer human beings have yet to offer. I feel like high school me, modern me, my mom, my grandfather, my grandmother, my dad, Barack Obama and Rush Limbaugh could all love this beer.

There is no other. Thou shalt put no other beers before me (if it's in season and the bar serves it, of course).

My local bar gets a single keg of KBS a single time per year. Much to my chagrin and eternal shame, I have yet to try it because it sells out in literally two hours, which is pretty much how long it takes to drain a keg by just holding down the tap. I shit you not, this year my girlfriend and I are taking off work and camping out at the bar to ensure we are a part of that two hours. I know it sounds crazy, but you just haven't tried the dream, the vision, the spiritual experience that is Breakfast Stout. Like the crack cocaine, one taste and you'll be hooked. Just try it. Everybody's doing it.

It's true, this is a perfect stout. It has a bold and balanced flavor and aroma of smooth strong coffee. It pours well and has a rich and surprisingly smooth mouthfeel. Overall, I could have one of these as a treat or enjoy a leisurely session any time!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company