Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#94

Ratings: 16,986 |  Reviews: 3,907

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Wow- Breakfast in in a beer. Dark like the nights. Year old beer and was perfect. Can't imagine Fresh. Chocolate and coffee cascading over your mouth. Should be good as a milkshake as well with some ice cream- no joke. Smell was roasted malt and hints of coffee. Only wish it had more head to it but could be that is is so old. Masterful Beer.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: Dark brown to black. Has 1/3 of an inch head with great lace retention on side of glass for 20 minutes.

Smell: Rich toasted coffee, malty and carmel notes

Taste: Rich without being overbearing. Wonderful aftertaste. Toasted flavor throughout. Hard to believe the 8.3% alcohol because the other ingredients offset it.

Mouthfeel: Thick as a brick. One of the thickest I've ever had, which for this style is perfect. Many microbreweries have a dark-as-the- night colored stout that is thin as water, but not this one.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good for how rich the beer is.

Overall impressions: We all have our opinions and biases, but that's what this site is about. For the record, I place this into my top five or six favorite stouts in the world, which are:

Bell's Double Cream Stout
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Founder's Breakfast Stout
Arcadia Starboard Stout
Avery Czar Imperial Stout

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Gulden Draak tulip.

appearance - Pours a very dark, rich brown, almost black, with a finger of dense, khaki-colored head.

smell - Coffee and dark chocolate are immediately apparent. There are some subtle hints of dried fruits.

taste - Delicious coffee flavor blended with chocolate -- like liquid tiramisu. In each sip, coffee and cocoa flavors gradually yield to a long, slightly bitter finish. I'm not sure how much of that bitterness is from the coffee and how much is from the hops.

mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy, with a pleasant creaminess from the oatmeal.

drinkability - If it wasn't so hard to come by here on the East Coast, I wouldn't mind sipping on a couple of these over a few hours, so it gets high marks. As it is, though, this will be my only one tonight.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I am SO excited to be drinking this beer. You don't understand… we could get this beer with ease when we lived in Indiana. Now that we are in Arizona, we can't get ANYTHING from Founders. They don't distribute here. Not. Fair. But never fear… thanks to a recent obsession with RateBeer, I have started some pretty serious beer trading. I traded for this beer, actually with a guy in Fishers, Indiana and he sent us two cans of 3BEANS, 2 bottles of this, and 2 bottles of Alpha King. That is also on our list. Oh, and he sent us two bottles of the Founders Imperial Stout.

I have to blame Dakine for my obsession with RateBeer. He said it was good… and he was right. I have since traded with a guy in Chicago, a guy in Virginia, and a guy in the Russian River Valley. He is actually sending us all of the beers on the list from the Valley. I am even working on a trade with my buddy Jake back home. I'm hooked!

It's time to start drinking… I can remember what this beer tastes like, but I haven't had it in a couple of years now. I can't wait to smell this, let alone drink it. Let's drink!

In the Glass: It is darker than I remember. It poured somewhat thick, and I could smell it before I was finished pouring. We are both really excited about this beer. I blame Founders for NOT shipping to the west coast. The beer also produced a nice dark tan head, while thin, still leaves me excited to drink. If you have never had the Founders Breakfast Stout… do yourself a favor. Get a bottle. It's worth every penny and always good to the last drop.

Nose: It smells like an imperial stout. It has a little copper note to it, but that is because of how cold it is. I just grabbed this from the fridge, so I am going to let it sit for a little bit before I drink it. I will probably drink half now, and half later. I like letting beers like this get to room temperature for the full enjoyment of the flavor. They call it Breakfast Stout, but they could easily call this Dessert Stout. This truly is a meal in a glass!

Flavor: This is the moment we have all been waiting for… at least the moment I have been waiting for. It is as good as I remember! It seems a little hotter than I remember, but that is probably because of how cold it is. It has an incredible mouthfeel and aftertaste, but we will get there. If you have ever had an imperial stout before, those are the same flavors that rush the palate. Then, as you swallow, a little dryness kicks in, and you get the soft subtle Irish stout flavor that we have all come to expect from a Guinness. Not the best beer in the world, but one that deserves our attention.

Mouthfeel: I have been on a stout kick lately. It's getting warmer, so I should be moving away from those… but I like the mouthfeel and the aftertaste of a good thick stout. This stout is just that… thick. It is easy to drink, but the beer coats the tongue with a nice layer of awesome! Every time I swallow I am getting those same flavors, and while I want to drink more, I want to savor this as long as I can! Very few bubbles here.

Aftertaste: I swallows my first drink 5 minutes ago, and the aftertaste is still there. It becomes increasingly dryer as you continue to swallow, but the aftertaste might be the best part of this beer. I don't usually care for Guinness, at least chilled Guinness, but the aftertaste is similar. Not as boring as Guinness, but the same drying sensation that I am experiencing with this.

Founders is a great brewing company, and I miss them. In the trade that I am working with Jake, he is going to send me some Founders beers. One that he is sending I have never heard of… so I am excited for that. I didn't request any more Breakfast Stout, as we already have one more bottle in the fridge. There is only so much time to drink beer! This bottle came a long way, but tastes as good as I remember. Maybe we will make pancakes and bacon the next time we drink this… a TRUE breakfast beer! Bottoms up, people.

Edit on 10-29-07:

I upped my ratings of appearance, mouthfeel and drinkability. This beer looks great. The head is a dark brown and thick and creamy and long lasting. The mouthfeel is very silky. And the drinkability is really off the charts. It was just like gone before I knew it, and very tasty.

This beer pours with some viscosity. Impressive. It's as black as eternity. Damn black. A nice looking creamy brown head sits on top and recedes to a good sized collar in a minute. The lacing is sparse. The nose is nice. Coffee is the biggest component. Then roasted and burnt malts. Then wood and vanilla. The carbonation is light and the beer feels somewhat creamy in the mouth. Body is medium to medium-full. The coffee tones come through in a big way on the palate as well. There's a nice bitterness attributed to coffee and roasted malts. It lingers nicely. A little burnt character is unveiled and some tobacco juice as well. The alcohol is hidden nicely behind the bold coffee tones. Pretty tasty beverage.

Thanks for the for the Baby Bottle cokes.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Very dark pour with carbonation bubbles that fall down and end up creating a long lasting dark tan, wet sand, brown head.

S: Strong, freshly brewed coffee with a dark chocolate background and a hint of caramel and oatmeal.

T: The dark chocolate and coffee flavors come out immediately in a slightly bitter fashion. There is a hint of sweetness in the middle that lasts into the aftertaste.

M: Thick and mildly heavy with the perfect amount of carbonation to compliment it's thickness.

D: A tad bitter for a stout, but I find that refreshing. Surprisingly easy to drink.

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company