Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,687 | Ratings: 15,948
4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

American DouBle Imperial stout
A-dark Robust Color nice head
S-smell Notes of Coffe, Chocolate
T-Notes Of Coffe, Chocolate, unidentified
M-Smooth, Drinkable,Doesnt Feel Heavy Like Some stouts
o-very good Drinkable stout W A Nice Compliment Of flavors

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

From a bottle I saved from this past winter that I shared with a friend.

The stout poured the archetypal pitch black with a sandy-brown layer of thin foam. The luscious scent hit me as I was pouring from the bottle! I could immediately smell everything that went into the beer, the oats, the rich chocolate, and the sweet distinct aroma of steeping coffee. On the palate, it was very creamy with tastes of burnt breakfast cereal, thick chocolate and the bitterness of coffee to finish. It tasted like cheerios, mixed with chocolate milk, with a cup of strong Italian roasted coffee in a pint glass. My mouth was exploding with flavor as the beer coated and clung every square inch of my mouth. Despite the high alcohol content and intense flavor, I could imagine spending an evening drinking this and only this.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours like in slow motion. Explodes out of my glass leaving a small warm black puddle on the table. (Not a rough pour either). Black (maybe a tiny bit of light makes it browner, but hardly) with a brown dense oily looking head about 1.5 inch. Thin lace here and there. Aroma of thick gritty roasted espresso coffee, dark chocolate, some kind of hidden fruit under the blanket, possibly cranberry. A great way to start your day. Taste. There's a lot of it. Roasted carmelized fruits surrounded by chocolate covered roasted coffee beans. The fruit lightens up the full grainy roastiness very nicely. Like a sunrise breaking through night. I might be associating this with breakfast too much though. I imagine its great anytime of day. The sweetness counters the bitter roasty character. Thick slick body. So smooth you notice the full body less, but not in a bad way. The loads of flavor don't take away from dinkability but instead make you drink it faster.

Clearly the breakfast of champions.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured down the pipe into an 18oz snifter.

Pours an oily pitch black with a nice two finger dark tan head that recedes to a nice bubbly layer.

Smells of dark chocolate, rich bitter coffee, dark fruits, sweet malts, some oats and a hint of alcohol. Smells amazing. On second whiff I pick up some lactose and milk chocolate. With some glass swirl and letting it warm some raisin comes through.

Ohhhh the taste. Just as it smells. Rich, roast coffees, bittersweet an dark chocolates, oats, dark fruits and raisins. Hides the alcohol very well.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy. Smooth on the finish and very easy to drink. Love it.

This is a world class beer from one of the best breweries around. I love this beer. And I will be buying more and drinking it any chance I get. If you've never had this, get it.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Just found a 4 pack of this at Crown. It's been hidden away in the back but the guy let me buy it!

A: Dark black color with a nice tan head that dissipated.

S: Dark roast smell with some strong chocolate flavors. This one smells great. That yankee candle place should be making these candles!

T: Thick and tasty. That roast flavor hits you up front and then the chocolate that finishes with you is amazing. I slight hint of alcohol on the finish. This is really great! Almost wish I didn't let my wife have a bottle now. I'll be rationing my last two until this years batch comes out.

M: Thick creamy malty and bitter. All of which mix so well that this is one more reason this beer rocks!

D: I'd love to drink the whole four pack but this one seems best as a nice desert beer. *% or so ABV means you really only need drink the one anyway. This ones to good to drink a bunch of. Save them for later!

Ever review a beer and then realized you already did once. Well, here is my updated review:
This is one of my favorite beers. I'm so happy to have it around in such large quantities this year! 5.0 in all categories!

A: Dark black with an awesome looking thick brown head. About a fingers worth that dispates to half a finger. Leaves great lacing down the glass.

S: Roasty, chocolaty, malty goodness! This beer makes my nose hairs dance! Perhaps that's not the most appealing sounding thing. Let's just say that that candle place my wife likes should make this into a candle. I'd love my house to smell like this!

T: Everything it smells like and so much more. Perfect balance of malts and bitterness. Chocolate comes through and goes so well with the bitterness.

M: Creamy creamy cream cream.... I wish I had better words to describe this but all I can say is it's amazing feeling to hold in your mouth.

D: Two or three of these on a cold night makes for a great evening in. I know before I said this was a desert beer but now that the cold weather has rolled in I'd say a four pack of this is not only totally appropriate but a good decision to boot ;)

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

In the past few years, I've had a few "hyped" type of brews....and I was let down. Last night, I had the opportunity to try Founder's Breakfast Stout....and I was blown away!!

S = Wonderful nose of cocoa, chocolate, and roasted coffee beans.

T = Dry cocoa upfront, bitter dark chocolate in the middle, and a slight hop character near the end. The finish was incredible with roasted coffee bitterness mixing with semi-sweet cocoa flavors. In addition, the finish lasted forever. Alcohol was not detected at all in the taste.

MF = Very rich and thick body with low carbonation. Silky smooth and creamy.

Overall, this stout was balanced amazingly well and has shot to the top of my fave list. Good thing I stocked up on this one since it's not distributed in my area.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonick pint glass. I know, I know... nonicks are for IPA's. However, the dimples on the sides of the glass allow the aromas of espresso to really come out. I started drinking espresso since I was a baby and this has the best qualities of it. The dark richness, and incredible scent. Beware, it's a sneaky beer. It isn't hairy like Old Rasputin, where you know the hammer will drop. You can sit and have 3 in one sitting and the feel the Cain Velasquez right hook when you stand to go to the restroom.

Poured from a 12oz bottle:

To start, this is probably the best stout that I have ever had and certainly since being on BA.

A: Poured an opaque, black body with an thick dark tan head that took its time dissipating, ultimately leaving a nice ring once gone.

S: Reminded me of when I used to walk into my favorite coffee shop in Philly. The coffee aroma was practically spilling out of the glass. The aroma was dominated by the coffee, but followed with a hint of sweet chocolate.

T: Like I stated above, probably the best stout that I have ever had. Again, the coffee dominated the beer, but balanced really well with a very light hint of the chocolate and subtle malt flavors.

M/D: I was prepared for an overly thick beer, but was really surprised when it was not as thick as expected. Don't get me wrong it is thick but very easy to drink, smooth and the alcohol was not noticeable at all. I am not so sure that I would won't to drink more than one at a setting, but I would give it a shot. Top Notch beer I would recommend to anyone.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Killer extra that was on my wants. Thanks Mikeyv35!

Appearance. Pours black with half a finger of deep tan head.

Smell. Roasty coffee beans and unsweetened baking chocolate. A little molasses too. Smells great.

Taste. Semi-sweet baking chocolate and roasty coffee in a BIG way. A little molasses and a hint of smoke in finish. Really nice.

Mouthfeel. Medium-full body with low, ultra-smooth carbonation.

Overall. Just a fantastic big stout. I could drink a bunch of these with no problem.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

A-Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Pours a dark brown/black color with a thick mocha colored head that leaves a nice lacing on the side of the glass as it disappears. This is one damn good looking stout.

S-At first whiff it is like you have your nose in a bag of fresh coffee beans. Dark chocolate and roasted malt are hiding in there too. Possible cereal/oatmeal as well. A real nice smelling brew. Absolutely love it.

T-Tastes like a dark roasted coffee/dark chocolate combo. Mild hope bitterness comes through in the after taste. Not too bad.

M-Super smooth and easy to drink for an imperial stout. Very nice mouthfeel.

O-This is hands down the best stout I have ever had. Super complex yet easy to drink. I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on this. I will certainly savor this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Founders snifter.
8.3% ABV, 60 IBUs, Bottled on 11/25/13

A - Inky black in color, Breakfast Stout pours like day old bottom-of-the-pot coffee; quiet but thick and viscous, the only difference is the beer's tall, loose mocha head and all the lace it leaves caked to the snifter!

S - Gritty French-pressed coffee awakens the senses while dark chocolate-covered raisins melt in warm brown sugar-sprinkled oatmeal with vanilla bean ice cream. Smells like breakfast in a glass!

T - Black, heavily roasted coffee strikes bitterness at the heart of the milk chocolate under body while morsels of molasses coated oats, sticky raisins, and notes of burnt brown sugar trail through the background.

M - Bitter, black coffee thins out Breakfast Stout's otherwise viscous body, adding a gritty feel and dryness to the finish but the oats counteract and give the medium-full body a lush smoothness that leaves a lasting impression on the palate.

O - Breakfast Stout awakens the senses with a burst of French-pressed coffee backed by chocolate-covered raisins and warm oatmeal but the beer's viscosity isn't quite as rich as it might smell. The coffee addition works to thin things out with some dry bitterness leaving the beer a bit more drinkable as opposed to a throat-coating, sweet stout, at any rate, minus the bacon and eggs, this is breakfast in a glass.

Founders Breakfast Stout

Serving type: Bottle, poured into a DFH glass.

Ah, Founders BS. THE beer. The one that introduced me to craft beer, the one that I bring out and share with friends and family, the beer that let me know the difference between every other beer and craft beer. Motherfucker, its time to let the world know of your greatness.
I'll explain why

My BS pours a soild, carbonated black pour, creating a thick, mocha head that rised up for a good two inches. After letting it settle for a minute, it takes on the apperance of a strong black coffee.

And it smells like that; old, cold coffee. Which I like. This is truly a coffee lovers beer and if you don't like coffee, you just made the wrong choice.

Tastes like a strong cup of joe with a mouthfeel of chocolate. Very well thought out and well put together. All the flavors of the chocolate, coffee, oatmeal and malts come together in line with each other. This is beer making at it's finest level.

The mouthfeel is more of the same, with the stronger flavors becoming more prevalent as it warms. You're gonna wanna brush your teeth after this beer.

The drinkability stands to be the only weak point of this. At 8.3% it's usually too late when you find out you've had enough. I can see why they sell this in 4 packs.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This stuff is delicious. It tastes really good. All the flavors of chocolate and coffee and beer are present but none are overwhelming. Thickness and carbonation are perfect. Alcohol is not present. Almost a perfect beer.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

big thanks to Suzanne (seh410) for this one!!
split this bottle with 2 other friends...wish i hadn't!

A- Pours pitch black with a tiny coffee head.

S- Lots of chocolate and coffee. Oh wait, only chocolate and coffee. It smells so awesome, I would substitute this for milk in my cereal.

T- Awesome awesome awesome. Tastes of bitter baking chocolate with coffee undertones. I can barely taste any alcohol. This might as well be chocolate milk.

M- Full and thick.

D- Really easy to drink, I could enjoy this all day. This had definitely become one of my favorite imperial stouts.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pitch black with a thin layer of soft mocha-colored head. Very little retention. The head becomes a pencil thin outline around the glass and some swirls in the center. Very little visible carbonation and lacing. Looks like a tall glass of black coffee

Aroma: Rich milk and dark chocolate. Freshly roasted coffee. Some lactose sugar. A subtle earthy hop background. Smells fantastic. More like dessert than breakfast

Taste: Roasted coffee bitterness takes the reigns here. Chocolate shines through occasionally - sometimes sweet, sometimes bittersweet. The oats provide some sweetness but this is more of a bitter brew than the nose would lead me to believe. Not overly bitter just more than I was expecting. Some earthiness, but hard to put my finger on. A little smoky. Faint citrusy hops in the background that are almost completely hidden by the coffee flavor. Really nice. I think it just about lives up to the hype

Mouthfeel: Very smooth with only the littlest bit of alcohol warmth. Rich and silky. Robust and full-bodied.

Overall: This is a fantastic stout. An awesome dessert beer. If I had the money to buy a case every time it was released I would do so just to have it available. A must try for any stout fan. A real treat even 6 months after the bottle date

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Had this beer at the Charleston BA Tasting November 2007.

A. Dark motor oil with a fluffy brown tan head. Generous Lacing.

S. This is an aromatic beer. If you want to impress to a newbie the value of smell, pour this beer and stand back. Strong coffee smell with a hint of cocoa and malt. More cofeee. This isn't just a beer, it is a scented candle.

T. As it smells. Coffee, chocolate and more coffee. Just the hint of sweet malt.

M. Very smooth. This beer just falls down your throat.

D. First, it is strong. Secondly it is rare here. Therefore, limited drinkability.

This beer deserves it's rating unlike many artificially high beers. A great beer and worth the effort to sample.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a nice deep dark brown/black. Has a definite coffee scent mingled with molasses and brown sugar. Initial taste is sweet, then settling into a more prominent coffee flavor with hints of chocolate. A full bodied beer that hits your entire tongue and lingers. More stouts should be modeled after this one. One of my favorites.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Pitch black as you would expect with a stout with very faint brown head that recedes quickly.

S- Chocolate and coffee dominate the smell, primarily coffee. Excellent balance between the two smells.

T- Smooth, very dominant in coffee with chocolate definitely there. Masks the alcohol extremely well.

M- Feels like no carbonation, smooth, goes down very easily.

O- One of the best beers I have had. I do not drink coffee, but have heard a lot about this beer and decided to give it a try. Very heavy beer but overall an excellent beer. Not sure I would have more than 1 in a sitting, but well worth having. Probably the best stout I have ever had.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Bought 12 fl oz bottle of this from Hair of the Dog on Washington Ave (St. Louis), MO for $6. Poured from the bottle with a Baby on it labeled "DOUBLE CHOCOLATE COFFEE OATMEAL STOUT" into a 16oz CockTail Glass and does not have a freshness date like almost all Founder's brews.

Aroma- Double rich and 3X the amount of complexity of any other Double Stout! Starts with a ton of oat and cocoa hitting the nose. Espresso then finishes the aroma with strength that takes you to the coffee house! Slight burnt aroma here but almost all pure coffee/roasted malt characteristics. Can't even begin to understand how they made this aroma happen!

Appearance- Pours almost no head but the ring around the glass is a dark brown color. The body is viscous and a jet black color with no room to see anything in the glass. Great lacing on the sides of the glass.

Flavor- Has a huge cocoa chocolate taste and a light-medium espresso taste mixed in. Very complexed once again but almost too thick and rich to tell much more to qualify as attributes of this stout. Has a bittersweet taste and the dark chocolate is the most interesting part of the flavor.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Lower Carbonation, Medium amount of Chewiness, and leaves tons of coffee in the mouth. Very viscous in the pour but more velvety and light textured in the mouthfeel.

Overall Impression- Talk about a stout you could pour on top of your Cheerios in the morning! This one is what I was looking for! While still having one in my cellar from my cousin, I'm glad I found this one (and grabbing one of the last 6 they had) to see what this one was all about. So complexed, you could drink this over and over and still get new attributes! Very much enjoyed this brew and am excited to try one that is going to age for years to come.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

I enjoyed this much more than the KBS but it's a different drink without the bourbon.

A: Poured damn near black and had about an inch of chocolate colored head, nice brown shade. Exactly the same look as the KBS side by side.

S: This is the brews strongest feature... everything good at breakfast is in every smell you get... mmm chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal for breakfast anyone, you can enjoy this by just smelling it.

T: Mainly a smoky coffee taste with a bit of a chocolate background with a little bit of an ending taste of maple oatmeal.

M: Unlike the KBS you can't really taste the alcohol but it's good to know it's there. It's extremely smooth and gives you a creamy espresso feel as it runs over your tongue.

D: Along with most Founders beers this is expensive but not nearly as expensive as the KBS as I picked up a single for only $3.25 and enjoyed it more than the KBS which cost me over $6 so it's amazingly great!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a snifter it has a two and a half inch beige head with a black body. Smell of freshly roasted coffee beans, some cocoa powder, earth, lots of roasted malt, and some sweet malt. Taste is fantastic, coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, and almost a milky cream flavor. Mouth feel is smooth, rich, and full with a just as big body. One of the best stouts I've ever had.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Short, dense, dark cocoa colored head leaves patches and strings of lace. Wow, it really does smell like coffee! There's also a bit of that dark malt aroma, a bit of cocoa, and maybe creamy vanilla underneath. Yep it's pitch black, with a ruby hue around the edge if you hold it to the light just right. Mouthfeel is soft, and full of fine carbonation. All kinds of stuff going on in the flavor. There's some bitter coffee and cocoa up front mixed with some creamy yeastyness. Towards the end there's some vinuous notes, and some of that dry dark malt bitterness. I ain't no expert, but I'd have to say this is one complex beer. Thanks malty!

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Pours a deep grape, almost black. There is hardly a head just some loose bubbles. Lacing is spotty.

S- Coffee, bitter sweet chocolate, there is a nice earthiness, some dark fruit, and horehound. Very complex, a lot going on underneath the coco and coffee.

T- Coffee upfront, then comes the bitter sweet chocolate, then back to a coffee finish, with a slight smokiness. I love the Sumatran coffee, it adds a nice earthiness.

M- Full body with a nice tiny amount of carbonation. Dry but not overly dry. Coats the tongue with rich flavors.

D- This is a sipper, with every sip leaving you wanting another. This beer would go well with breakfast as well as chocolate cake, but stands well on its own.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a pitxh black with a finger of head in my duvel tulip. Leaves lots of thick lacing along the way. Nose is a quick faint with of milk chocolate quickly turning bittersweet, spiced cofee along with some mexican cinnamon and all spice. Taste is a beautiful mix of milk/dark/bittersweet chocolate in the order, very complex, dark roasted coffee beans, freshly ground cloves and cinnamon with a hint and breakfast cereal , finishing with bitter hops married to the chocolate notes. Very excited i was able to finally have this great beer.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

A- Pours a very dark brown. It approaches but does not quite reach black. Head is one finger of espresso-colored foam. Fades somewhat quickly leaving whispy lacing.
S- The smell leans more toward dark chocolate than coffee, but both are there in force. There is an underlying earthyness in there as well.
T- Whereas in the nose the chocolate was a bit more noticable than the coffee, on the tongue I would reverse it. Dark chocolate (with a lighter but noticable milk chocolate) are definitely strong flavors, but the roasted coffee flavor has a bigger kick. The roasted malt/roasted coffee flavor is extremely powerful on the tongue, and my personal preference is more coffee flavor than chocolate, but that's me. There is a noticable spicy note in the finish, as well as a bit of a hazelnut espresso type note.
M- The mouthfeel is rich and full bodied, but it seems to lighten up a bit midsip. The finish and aftertaste are long.
O- This is just a tremendous beer that I'm glad I finally got to try. One of the very best stouts, and beers, I've experienced. This is exactly the kind of beer I want next to the fireplace with my dog. The baby on the label creeps me out though.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company