Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,706 | Ratings: 16,015
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up in a great trade with Mike back in 2011! Dark brown, nearly black pour with a creamy caramel-colored one finger head with decent retention and great lacing. The nose is amazing! Roasty fresh brewed coffee and tons of chocolate and cocoa totally dominate. Also getting hints of warm milk, espresso, and just a touch of booze. The taste is just as big and just as bold as the nose! Huge amounts of roasty coffee and crazy intense chocolate are the stars. Toasted oats emerge as it warms along with hints of fresh cream, mocha, vanilla, and just a touch of cinnamon. The mouthfeel is unbelievably thick and creamy and absolutely smooth as silk. The balance is nearly perfect with malty sweetness up front and a subtle bitterness on the finish. Overall, I'm totally blown away. I've had this beer once before and remember really liking it, but not to this extent. I don't know if cellaring it for nearly 3 years did it, but this is definitely the best coffee stout I've ever tasted. I will definitely pick up more of this immediately!

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%

A(ppearance) - Thick, creamy, brown head and a deep, deep brown (nearly black) appearance. On visuals alone it looked delectable, like a meal rather than a drink.

S(mell) - Not as vibrant as I expected. Hints of coffee and roasted chocolate, but not overpowering. Needed to get right onto the glass to really get it.

T(aste) - Like a dream of a perfect woman in your embrace just before waking in the morning. Which is to say, utterly divine. VERY full flavored, like a meal in a glass. None of the breakfasty flavors are way up front, though. You don't taste strong chocolate or coffee; they're just hints in an impressive weave of roasty, malty flavors. It's perfectly balanced so that it tastes like a complex stout with some smokey nuances and a smoothness (probably brought on by the chocolate) that belies its bitterness. I'm impressed. Hyped beers often don't live up to it. This one does.

M(outhfeel)- Heavy mouthfeel, yet went down more easily than stouts of similar consistency. Only slightly as dry on the mouth as, say, an imperial stout. Very pleasant considering its potency.

D- Stupidly good stout that really *would* make a good breakfast if it weren't for the alcohol. Offers a complex yet not challenging taste. None of the boasted flavored (chocolate, coffee, oatmeal) are prominent, instead mixing into a pleasing and heady beverage. Considering it's a high ABV and very complex stout, it's surprisingly drinkable. Believe the hype.

Serving type: bottle, into standard pint glass. Bottle room temperature, glass chilled but not frozen/cold.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured an opaque black with a half finger chocolate head. Moderate lacing. Nose is coffee, chocolate, malt, and dark fruits. Taste is dark chocolate and fruits, coffee, roasted malt in a sooooo very balanced fashion that not one is overpowering. Bitterness is controlled. I was expecting a heavier oily feel but this has a nice moderate and creamy body. This beer is extremely drinkable . . . like liquid sex. :)

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Has a very dark apperance and a nice carmel color head.
Smells of chocolate and oats
Taste is very rich chocolate, but is bitter with a coffee flavored background. I could drink this with my bacon and eggs.
This beer feels smooth and is very pleasant to drink.
Overall this beer is a good flavorful stout that I will drink again.

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this on draft for the first time. Great beer. Not sure it lives up to the hype, but probably due to expectations. I would definitely like to try this again with a blank slate.

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer is not worthy of a perfect score, guys. Let's be real.
That being said, this is a DAMN good stout. The best beer with the "Breakfast" title on the market. Wonderfully balanced, yet all flavor profiles present themselves individually and boldly. World class beer from a world-class brewery...but JUST shy of "White Whale" status...
This is NOT the "Heady Topper" of Stouts...but it is a lot closer than any of the "Bourbon County" offerings, to deserving the cache that they enjoy.

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from the tap into a Belgian Style tulip glass.

Appearance- Beer pours solid molasses black with a red hued ring of foam around the sides that doesn't die for over an hour and a half. Beer was poured too cold so I set it aside and waited. Lacing is THICK, and clings to the sides forever as well.

Smell- Rich coffee with cream and roasted malts. Dark fruits are quick to follow but not near as strong as the first upfront coffee and Irish cream smells. Black licorice and burnt malts. This beer smells amazing. The hops aren't overly strong on the nose and that's just fine with me.

Taste- Creamy, good god this is some amazing nectar. It is no surprise that I was unable to clone it perfectly. I did come close, but not as excellent as this perfected recipe. Coffee and rich creams. Almost a Kahlua style taste but so much better. Malty sweet roasted balancing acts with toffee, caramel, espresso, the great flavor just doesn't stop coming! Again with the dark and milk chocolates. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel- Creamy, thick, full-bodied, medium-high in carbonation, even two hours later, I can find no negatives in this beer.

Drinkability- This is a desert island beer, a winter wonderland beer, the taste for the people of Hoth, and quite possibly the best stout of all time. I need more.. More.. MORE!!

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

355ml Bottle from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£4):
Black with a thin, light brown lacing that covers the surface & holds until I start drinking.

Strong with oatmeal & chocolate, some coffee & some milky notes plus a little sweetness. Good roasted notes & bitterness feature, offset with some sugar. Despite the strength the alcohol is masked by the chocolate & dark malts.

Strong chocolate, subtly sweet with light bitterness & strong coffee, some oatmeal too. There is some espresso like flavours & lots of cocoa with roasted malts & darker fruits, sugar & vanilla. Complex & great tasting.

Full bodied & smooth, the alcohol content is almost completely hidden with only the slightly warming feel giving an indication as to the strength of this one. Strong sweetness with the occasional bit of bitterness; frighteningly easy to drink too.

An exceptional beer from Founders, definitely the best I've tried from them and up there with the best I've tried from any brewery for that matter. Excellent stuff from the start & one I'll be picking up the next time I spot it anywhere.

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%

A- Pours a dark black, with a very minimal tan head. Carbonation is light. Leaves some beautiful lacing on the glass. You can tell as it pours out that it is going to be a very chewy and viscous beer.

S- The smell was chocolaty and delicious but not very powerful. Coffee notes also come through.

T- The taste is absolutely delicious. Strong coffee and chocolate flavors are prominent. The sweetness is well balanced with hops. I don't like beers that are overly sweet, but this was not a problem with the breakfast stout. Alcohol is also well covered with combination of sweet flavors and hops.

M- This is a full bodied beer that has a heavy, creamy mouthfeel. Probably one of the more viscous stouts that I have ever had.

O- This is a great stout for anyone who likes the style and is not afraid of a flavorful, full bodied beer. I loved it and is something that I will have to pick up again.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The quality of beer at Founders is always supreme, and this breakfast stout is no exception. Oatmeal, chocolate, coffee and alcohol form the nose with a small hint of banana. Mouthfeel is like drinking heavy silk, and the taste is strongly coffee with cocoa and roasted malt secondary characteristics. Phenomenal.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark brown, almost black but certainly opaque...minimal foam but no head.

S - Smells of roasted coffee with a hint of chocolate.

T - Delicious! Hints of coffee and chocolate and a nuttiness trying to come out, but not strong. Also for the alcohol content, you would think this is a 4% not an 8.3% beer. They hide it well.

M - Smooth with slight carbonation.

O - I've been hearing about this beer for awhile now and always missed out on it...this is the first year I have had it and I only hope I can get another 4 pack so I don't have to wait a year to hunt it down again. Lives up to the hype and more!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank this beer out of a nonic pint with a full English breakfast a few days ago, took some notes while I savored both.
Look: Black as night. Like a glass of tar, or motor oil, with a finger head of fluffy off-white foam. Looks like something strong.
Smell: Black coffee first and foremost, strong like freshly made drip coffee. Hints of chocolate hiding behind that. So much complexity. Smells like it belongs with breakfast.
Taste: Bitter, dark coffee again at the front, with chocolate and roasty flavors behind it, even a little maple. Tastes like it would be better off beside a stack of pancakes rather than savory breakfast, but still good.
Feel: Motor oil thickness, but not as much as a Russian Imperial. It's like drinking what happens when you mix cocoa powder into black coffee with some brown sugar added.
Overall: Wonderful. Haven't had KBS or CBS, but if they're anything like the beer they're based on, they'll be just as amazing as this one, if not more.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Black with a cafe au lait head of about an inch. Smells of rich dark chocolate and coffee. Slightly sweet but tart molasses up front followed by waves of bitter dark chocolate and hints of coffee. Oatmeal comes through on the chewy, full mouth feel. An awesome beer. So much better than the RIS because it isn't nearly as sweet. Too bad the coffee wires me or I would drink this every night.

American DouBle Imperial stout
A-dark Robust Color nice head
S-smell Notes of Coffe, Chocolate
T-Notes Of Coffe, Chocolate, unidentified
M-Smooth, Drinkable,Doesnt Feel Heavy Like Some stouts
o-very good Drinkable stout W A Nice Compliment Of flavors

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

From a bottle I saved from this past winter that I shared with a friend.

The stout poured the archetypal pitch black with a sandy-brown layer of thin foam. The luscious scent hit me as I was pouring from the bottle! I could immediately smell everything that went into the beer, the oats, the rich chocolate, and the sweet distinct aroma of steeping coffee. On the palate, it was very creamy with tastes of burnt breakfast cereal, thick chocolate and the bitterness of coffee to finish. It tasted like cheerios, mixed with chocolate milk, with a cup of strong Italian roasted coffee in a pint glass. My mouth was exploding with flavor as the beer coated and clung every square inch of my mouth. Despite the high alcohol content and intense flavor, I could imagine spending an evening drinking this and only this.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours like in slow motion. Explodes out of my glass leaving a small warm black puddle on the table. (Not a rough pour either). Black (maybe a tiny bit of light makes it browner, but hardly) with a brown dense oily looking head about 1.5 inch. Thin lace here and there. Aroma of thick gritty roasted espresso coffee, dark chocolate, some kind of hidden fruit under the blanket, possibly cranberry. A great way to start your day. Taste. There's a lot of it. Roasted carmelized fruits surrounded by chocolate covered roasted coffee beans. The fruit lightens up the full grainy roastiness very nicely. Like a sunrise breaking through night. I might be associating this with breakfast too much though. I imagine its great anytime of day. The sweetness counters the bitter roasty character. Thick slick body. So smooth you notice the full body less, but not in a bad way. The loads of flavor don't take away from dinkability but instead make you drink it faster.

Clearly the breakfast of champions.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured down the pipe into an 18oz snifter.

Pours an oily pitch black with a nice two finger dark tan head that recedes to a nice bubbly layer.

Smells of dark chocolate, rich bitter coffee, dark fruits, sweet malts, some oats and a hint of alcohol. Smells amazing. On second whiff I pick up some lactose and milk chocolate. With some glass swirl and letting it warm some raisin comes through.

Ohhhh the taste. Just as it smells. Rich, roast coffees, bittersweet an dark chocolates, oats, dark fruits and raisins. Hides the alcohol very well.

Mouthfeel is big and chewy. Smooth on the finish and very easy to drink. Love it.

This is a world class beer from one of the best breweries around. I love this beer. And I will be buying more and drinking it any chance I get. If you've never had this, get it.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Just found a 4 pack of this at Crown. It's been hidden away in the back but the guy let me buy it!

A: Dark black color with a nice tan head that dissipated.

S: Dark roast smell with some strong chocolate flavors. This one smells great. That yankee candle place should be making these candles!

T: Thick and tasty. That roast flavor hits you up front and then the chocolate that finishes with you is amazing. I slight hint of alcohol on the finish. This is really great! Almost wish I didn't let my wife have a bottle now. I'll be rationing my last two until this years batch comes out.

M: Thick creamy malty and bitter. All of which mix so well that this is one more reason this beer rocks!

D: I'd love to drink the whole four pack but this one seems best as a nice desert beer. *% or so ABV means you really only need drink the one anyway. This ones to good to drink a bunch of. Save them for later!

Ever review a beer and then realized you already did once. Well, here is my updated review:
This is one of my favorite beers. I'm so happy to have it around in such large quantities this year! 5.0 in all categories!

A: Dark black with an awesome looking thick brown head. About a fingers worth that dispates to half a finger. Leaves great lacing down the glass.

S: Roasty, chocolaty, malty goodness! This beer makes my nose hairs dance! Perhaps that's not the most appealing sounding thing. Let's just say that that candle place my wife likes should make this into a candle. I'd love my house to smell like this!

T: Everything it smells like and so much more. Perfect balance of malts and bitterness. Chocolate comes through and goes so well with the bitterness.

M: Creamy creamy cream cream.... I wish I had better words to describe this but all I can say is it's amazing feeling to hold in your mouth.

D: Two or three of these on a cold night makes for a great evening in. I know before I said this was a desert beer but now that the cold weather has rolled in I'd say a four pack of this is not only totally appropriate but a good decision to boot ;)

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

In the past few years, I've had a few "hyped" type of brews....and I was let down. Last night, I had the opportunity to try Founder's Breakfast Stout....and I was blown away!!

S = Wonderful nose of cocoa, chocolate, and roasted coffee beans.

T = Dry cocoa upfront, bitter dark chocolate in the middle, and a slight hop character near the end. The finish was incredible with roasted coffee bitterness mixing with semi-sweet cocoa flavors. In addition, the finish lasted forever. Alcohol was not detected at all in the taste.

MF = Very rich and thick body with low carbonation. Silky smooth and creamy.

Overall, this stout was balanced amazingly well and has shot to the top of my fave list. Good thing I stocked up on this one since it's not distributed in my area.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a nonick pint glass. I know, I know... nonicks are for IPA's. However, the dimples on the sides of the glass allow the aromas of espresso to really come out. I started drinking espresso since I was a baby and this has the best qualities of it. The dark richness, and incredible scent. Beware, it's a sneaky beer. It isn't hairy like Old Rasputin, where you know the hammer will drop. You can sit and have 3 in one sitting and the feel the Cain Velasquez right hook when you stand to go to the restroom.

Poured from a 12oz bottle:

To start, this is probably the best stout that I have ever had and certainly since being on BA.

A: Poured an opaque, black body with an thick dark tan head that took its time dissipating, ultimately leaving a nice ring once gone.

S: Reminded me of when I used to walk into my favorite coffee shop in Philly. The coffee aroma was practically spilling out of the glass. The aroma was dominated by the coffee, but followed with a hint of sweet chocolate.

T: Like I stated above, probably the best stout that I have ever had. Again, the coffee dominated the beer, but balanced really well with a very light hint of the chocolate and subtle malt flavors.

M/D: I was prepared for an overly thick beer, but was really surprised when it was not as thick as expected. Don't get me wrong it is thick but very easy to drink, smooth and the alcohol was not noticeable at all. I am not so sure that I would won't to drink more than one at a setting, but I would give it a shot. Top Notch beer I would recommend to anyone.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Killer extra that was on my wants. Thanks Mikeyv35!

Appearance. Pours black with half a finger of deep tan head.

Smell. Roasty coffee beans and unsweetened baking chocolate. A little molasses too. Smells great.

Taste. Semi-sweet baking chocolate and roasty coffee in a BIG way. A little molasses and a hint of smoke in finish. Really nice.

Mouthfeel. Medium-full body with low, ultra-smooth carbonation.

Overall. Just a fantastic big stout. I could drink a bunch of these with no problem.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

A-Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Pours a dark brown/black color with a thick mocha colored head that leaves a nice lacing on the side of the glass as it disappears. This is one damn good looking stout.

S-At first whiff it is like you have your nose in a bag of fresh coffee beans. Dark chocolate and roasted malt are hiding in there too. Possible cereal/oatmeal as well. A real nice smelling brew. Absolutely love it.

T-Tastes like a dark roasted coffee/dark chocolate combo. Mild hope bitterness comes through in the after taste. Not too bad.

M-Super smooth and easy to drink for an imperial stout. Very nice mouthfeel.

O-This is hands down the best stout I have ever had. Super complex yet easy to drink. I'm so glad I was able to get my hands on this. I will certainly savor this one.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Founders snifter.
8.3% ABV, 60 IBUs, Bottled on 11/25/13

A - Inky black in color, Breakfast Stout pours like day old bottom-of-the-pot coffee; quiet but thick and viscous, the only difference is the beer's tall, loose mocha head and all the lace it leaves caked to the snifter!

S - Gritty French-pressed coffee awakens the senses while dark chocolate-covered raisins melt in warm brown sugar-sprinkled oatmeal with vanilla bean ice cream. Smells like breakfast in a glass!

T - Black, heavily roasted coffee strikes bitterness at the heart of the milk chocolate under body while morsels of molasses coated oats, sticky raisins, and notes of burnt brown sugar trail through the background.

M - Bitter, black coffee thins out Breakfast Stout's otherwise viscous body, adding a gritty feel and dryness to the finish but the oats counteract and give the medium-full body a lush smoothness that leaves a lasting impression on the palate.

O - Breakfast Stout awakens the senses with a burst of French-pressed coffee backed by chocolate-covered raisins and warm oatmeal but the beer's viscosity isn't quite as rich as it might smell. The coffee addition works to thin things out with some dry bitterness leaving the beer a bit more drinkable as opposed to a throat-coating, sweet stout, at any rate, minus the bacon and eggs, this is breakfast in a glass.

Founders Breakfast Stout

Serving type: Bottle, poured into a DFH glass.

Ah, Founders BS. THE beer. The one that introduced me to craft beer, the one that I bring out and share with friends and family, the beer that let me know the difference between every other beer and craft beer. Motherfucker, its time to let the world know of your greatness.
I'll explain why

My BS pours a soild, carbonated black pour, creating a thick, mocha head that rised up for a good two inches. After letting it settle for a minute, it takes on the apperance of a strong black coffee.

And it smells like that; old, cold coffee. Which I like. This is truly a coffee lovers beer and if you don't like coffee, you just made the wrong choice.

Tastes like a strong cup of joe with a mouthfeel of chocolate. Very well thought out and well put together. All the flavors of the chocolate, coffee, oatmeal and malts come together in line with each other. This is beer making at it's finest level.

The mouthfeel is more of the same, with the stronger flavors becoming more prevalent as it warms. You're gonna wanna brush your teeth after this beer.

The drinkability stands to be the only weak point of this. At 8.3% it's usually too late when you find out you've had enough. I can see why they sell this in 4 packs.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company