Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,784 | Ratings: 16,348
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass and the brew produced a dark brown color that light failed to penetrate. A 1/2" mocha brown head hung around for just a bit and it had nice whipy lacing on the the glass.

The initial smell is heavy (double) chocolate with some minor notes of oats in the background. The flavor follows the nose on the first few sips, but as it begins to warm some the coffee enters the game and the heavy chocolate flavor fades somewhat to produce a well balanced chocolate, coffee, and oat medley. There is a slight dark roasted malt bitterness, perhaps aided by the 60 ibu's of hops, but which ever it is just enough to keep this brew from being to sweet.

Medium mouth feel, in my opinion; not to thin and not to thick.

The alcohol is well hidden, especially for an 8%+ abv. This is a great beer from top to bottom, a definate A+ brew that I'll continue enjoy as long as I can find it and squirrel some away.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Having my first Founders Breakfast Stout of the season with breakfast. Picked up 2 4-packs in NYC for $10.50 a piece, great deal. Bottle date is 8-27-10, fresh!

Pours black with a 2-finger tan head, very creamy and bubbly. A swirly cap eventually covers the top, leaves very nice lacing.

Excellent strong coffee and chocolate in the smell, notes of molasses and smoke. Truly breakfast-y.

Taste follows the nose very closely, an excellent marriage of coffee and chocolate, they're pretty evenly distributed but coffee gets the slight upper hand. Lots of molasses and oats. The slightest hints of smoke, grassy hops and warming alcohol. Sweetness is kept in check nicely with bitterness, never over the top. Truly shines in the taste/scent as it warms.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth rather than hefty and thick, works perfectly for this beer. Medium carbonation. Tastes linger long afterwords, very easy to drink for an imperial stout.

One of those beers that make me look forward to fall. A truly solid beer, perfect for the season, one of my favorites.

Note: After having a few more bottles this year, I have to say it is imperative that it be around room/cellar temperature when drinking, or at most slightly chilled. To me this is a whole different beer when cold, much more enjoyable when it's served on the warmer side.

(2010) 12 oz bottle aged approximately 4 months, poured into a pint glass

A - Jet black body, no light escapes through this beer; frothy cinnamon colored head, excellent lacing immediately starts to appear after the first few sips and continues throughout the entire experience.

S - Strong roasted coffee and chocolaty malts.

T - Bitter (but not too bitter) chocolate flavor washed away by coffee beans; hop presence is felt (makes sense at 60 IBUs), but is there for a reason - the hops do not overpower the wonderful malt flavors and there is just enough to complement the bitter chocolate taste. It's nitpicking, but perhaps a bit too much coffee. I would have liked the slightest bit less coffee flavor.

M - Thick, chewy and smooth - almost oil-like consistency.

O - Phenomenal American imperial stout. At the top of its class, and sets the bar for what other imperial stouts should be aiming for. The ABV is just about perfect (not too strong, not too weak) at 8.3%. A near perfect beer, and one of my favorites.

Note: This beer is even better on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a finger of darkly tanned head that laces all over the glassware. Nose is a wonderful blend of burnt grain smelling of chocolate and coffee with a bite of alcohol in the tail end. Taste is equally enjoyable with the burnt grain and hop bitterness right upfront that blends through the thick body with tastes of bitter chocolate and coffee. It finishes both bitter and very warming but has a strange way of also seeming to be sweet like a smoky dark molasses. Lingering taste of chocolate and sweet grain. Feel of this beer is very smooth and enjoyable with a mild amount of carb. Very drinkable for over 8%

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a nice opaque black with a sizeable brown head at the top.
Smell: It has a nice roasted malt scent that blends into a strong coffee aroma. There is also a hint of cocoa.
Taste: The chocolate flavor hits you first and it becomes this nice chocolate coffee blend. There is also a hint of oatmeal and roasted malts that makes this beer very complex.
Drinkability/Mouthfeel: The beer has a good weight to it, it isn't too carbonated. It is great to enjoy with food.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 09/08/15

Pours black with a tan brown head. Smells of an abundance of roasted coffee and slight dark chocolate. The taste is bittersweet and perfectly balanced coffee with roasty dark chocolate. Feels medium-full, smooth and creamy with low carbonation. The chocolate flavors come out more as it warms. Overall an amazing double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving type- Bottle poured into a regular pint glass.

A- Pours a beautiful dark roasted black with a small dirty brown lace that is present througout the drink. Great color with no activity present and even if their was you would not be able to tell because of the dark rich color.

S- Strong hints of caffeine and roasted malt/ chocolate.

T- Great taste combination of roasted flavors of coffee beans and cocco. Smooth mellow oatmeal flavor that ends in a smooth finish.

Had the opportunity to try this at a local bar and from everything that I have read this is a great beer. I do not have alot of experience with Imperial Stouts but after reading great reviews from here I could not pass up the opportunity to have it. From what I have read Founders just recently became available here in NC and I have very happy because I will definately have this again.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Bulls Head Public House, Lititz, PA

A: Looks fantastic. Super dark, with a thin, dense tan head. Great Lacing down the glass.

S: heavily roasted malts, coffee, with a hint of chocolate. Some earthy hop is there as well.

T: Super Rich Coffee flavor that just washes over your pallet. A slight molasses note as well. Follows up with a strong Chocolate Milk flavor that quickly transitions into the alcohol warmth/balancing hop bitterness. This is seriously well balanced and really, really delicious.

M: Really creamy, thick, and chewy., and what all good stouts should be

O: Yeah, I can only have one at a shot, but this is the stuff. Right up there with the Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout's, or St. Peter's Cream Stouts of the world.

Side Note: this stuff is much better on tap than in a bottle.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First craft beer I tried after a friend turned me on. Been waiting for almost a year and FINALLY got my hands on a case and a half. So I will make this my first beer review.

The pour produced a small tan head and is as dark as the shady side of batmans ass. Smell was more chocolate than coffee although there's plenty of roasted scents hitting the nose. The taste on the other hand is all coffee all the way! This was the first stout I had tried as well and would recommend it to ANYONE who likes beer in the slightest. But if you don't like coffee you won't like this. Probably the best beer I've had thus far. Good job founders on this one along with most of your other beers.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer was purchashed at Megan McMurphy's on Route 57 in Liverpool, NY. I normally do not drink this style of beer but i had heard from other's about how great of a beer it was so i decided to give it a try. The amount of flavor in this beer is outstanding - Coffee biterness to sweet and chocolately. I can't wait to have this again. The beer improved as it warmed. I would recommend drinking this brew at room temperature. Overall this is probably one of the best beer's I have ever had and I would highly recommend it to any beer enthusiast.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I figured what better way to welcome the oncoming onslaught of Founders entering the central NY market than to tap into my one breakfast stout in the cellar. I am so excited that I will soon be able to get founders all the time!

A- as expected, a completely opaque body that strives to look just like a cup of coffee in the AM. Mocha foam slowly arises at the top of the glass and just as slowly retreats. Even the edges of the glass give off a slight ruby hue just to make it interesting

S- black coffee, dark chocolate, and stong ties to the oatmeal flavors mentioned on the bottle. What's missing? The alcohol is hidden and I am totally ok with that (although it is definitely present at 8.3%)! This a true cup of joe! Chocolate shines through more evident that a coffee bender, but the oatmeal flavors are more evident than a wake n bake. Good scent profile!

T- the dark chocolate, coffee taste, and oatmeal are more in sync than I have ever experienced before. All three flavors are presented simultaneously making for an excellent cup of coffee taste. Breakfast stout does not have the overwhelming sweetness that you can usually find out there. They just have a good of coffee brew that is absolutely amazing

M- great carbonation and layering of flavor all over. The feel is spot on for a flavorful coffee brew

O- Founders, you continue to be who I thought you are. This was my first breakfast stout and I am so fixated on this that I can't wait to buy cases of this stuff! It's no wonder that so many people place Founders at the top of their list for best breweries. I can't wait to see breakfast stout on the shelves (if there is enough liquid of course)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at The Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a thick and tight looking one finger chocolate brown head with good retention. Black in color with no carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a thin wisp and a ring. A ring remains and leaves some good looking lacing down the sides. A fine looking Imperial Stout.

SMELL: Roasted malts and hints of dark chocolate, though the pure black coffee is more prominent. Notes of fudge and brownies as well. Bold enough and quite enticing.

TASTE: Roasted malts and a great balance between the pure bitter dark chocolate and black coffee; more balanced than the nose. Very roasted and burnt the whole way through, leading to a bitter chocolate and coffee finish. Bold and long lasting aftertaste is plenty roasted with lots of coffee and burnt cocoa flavors. One of the best out there.

PALATE: Full body with lower amounts of light carbonation. Very creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth with a little alcohol bite at the finish. The oatmeal has definitely given this a soft and creamy feel. Finish is slightly mouth-coating.

OVERALL: This stuff is what people write home to their mothers about. Fantastic stuff and well worth the hype. By far the best coffee flavored stout I've had so far, and the flavors mesh excellently with the chocolate and oatmeal. Very enjoyable, though the bold flavors do start to get a little overwhelming after a glass or two. Non-the-less, this one is a real treat of the brewing industry and I hope it continues to find its way overseas.

My grading system:

1) Can't see through it (CHECK)
2) Smells like coffee/chocolate (CHECK)
3) Tastes like something that could be a garnish for Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream (CHECK)
4) You can almost chew it (CHECK)

Just an incredible $9.99 4-pack. If they brewed this all year long and was always on the shelf, I probably wouldn't have to spend so much time at my local Friar Tucks looking for something new and interesting. This is an almost perfect beer. As perfect a beer as I've had for something right off the shelf you don't have to spend an arm and leg for or buy a ticket in a lottery to acquire!

If I'd tasted every beer ever made I might give it perfect 5s all the way across ... but ...

2012 breakfast stout

Pours a thick deep dark black with almost no head. It's big, nice, and roasty. Really thick mouthfeel and tastes just like it smells. It starts smooth and finishes with really nice roast. Overall this is a great seasonal that always delivers. A must get for any stout fan, hell any beer fan.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Pours very dark. Black. Only when using a flashlight held right up to the glass can a hint of red be seen just barely at the very edge of the glass. A full thick dark tan two finger head settled on top. Lots of sediment floating around in the dark abyss as well. As I drink this one down there is some of the best lacing left behind that I have seen in a beer yet.

S- HUGE chocolate and coffee flavors can be smelled from a distance while pouring this one. Malty notes get even stronger when you really get into it. What better smells for breakfast than roasted coffee and chocolate.

T- I start first with the coffee and roasted malt flavor. Tastes like a rich chocolate espresso. But as I swallow I get my first taste of the oatmeal coming through. Some burnt dark chocolate bitters linger on my tongue for several minutes after I swallow. Super long finish.

M- A bit watery thin at first but as is sits on the tongue it thickens just a bit to reveal a more full body to it. Comes out to smooth finish. Super easy to drink.

O- I have read so many reviews and heard so many great things about this beer. After a long wait I can now say that the anticipation that built up before now was not in vein. Worth the wait and definitely worth the search. Great beer. Absolutely one of the best.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I look forward to this brew coming out every September...The time has come in 2010. Wahoo!

A: Pours a thick, black oil that resembles nothing less than liquified coffee grounds. A small trail of bubbles for a head adds to the sight.

S: Coffee, coffee, COFFEE! Did I mention I smell coffee? Not of the Maxwell House variety, but something much, much more enticing. No chocolate, fruit, oatmeal, or anything like that has yet to poke it's sinister head.

T: Strong coffee taste at first, with the coffee spice staining the tongue with taste and just staying there for the duration of the session. The chocolate then makes an appearance, first texturally, then mixed into the coffee bean mayhem. This particular brand of chocolate really reminds me of Scharffen Berger dark chocolate.

M: Here is where the oatmeal make it's contribution. The texture of the beer is like a slick, slimy chocolate milk, with a little bit of rye-like aftertaste (oatmeal). The carbonation lightly sizzles the tongue. Sure the beer coats, but oh what a damn good coat!

D: As I'm sure the brewers at Founders would agree: This one is a sipper. Not just because the ABV is 8.3% (which I guess is not THAT bad), but because the beer is so flooded with taste, it's best enjoyed by savoring every drop. I'm not a big fan of coffee, but I love it in beer. This is one of the best of the best in that realm.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

This pours a deep black color with a small tan head that sits nicely atop the brew. The nose is really really nice. Almost like fresh ground coffee with a nice slightly creamy chocolate in the background. I really like the nose. The flavor is very nice as well. Good coffee tones that move into chocolate on the finish. I really do like it. The feel is a bit less than I had hoped. I expected thicker than thick, but it is just on the light side of thick with a carbonation that is a little too much. I could easily sit and drink this beer all damn day. One of my favorite brews.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - poured nearly pitch black with a thin veil of bubbles at the head..

S - smells delicious, no other way of putting it really. I immediately smelled roasted malt and chocolate and they complement each other flawlessly.

T - just like the smell; roasted malt and chocolate and a coffee-like taste as well accompanies those two flavors...

M - no overpowering alcoholic presence or any other intimidating feel, its balanced very well and tastes amazing while leaving a mocha aftertaste.

O - Glorious...I wasnt prepared for it to taste this good honestly..I had gotten this from a friend in New York and put off trying it for so long that I actually forgot about it at one point. This is just what I needed tonight despite being a "breakfast stout" but who's complaining? This is what I think a stout should taste like or be compared to. Its so well balanced and its taste even made my roommate (who dislikes beer) appreciate it and want more....but tonight Im not sharing.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with little head and minimal lacing. Aroma is roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and huge amounts of coffee. Wow. Mouthfeel is creamy but not too thick, very easy to drink for the style. Taste is smooth and chocolatey upfront giving way to a massive blast of rich coffee flavor and bitterness. Hardly any alcohol is detectable. Overall, one of my all time favorites. Have been drinking it for years but haven't reviewed it until now. Pretty much nails the idea of a breakfast stout and what it should be. Exceptional balance of flavors makes this one utterly delectable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draught @ Headkeeper: This was served in a goblet. It poured an opaque dark brown color. There was a thin tan head that left some lacing. Lots of coffee to the nose. There were also some chocolate and roasty notes. The taste is very nice. Definitely lots of coffee up front. Other flavors include chocolate malt, caramel, grapefruit and pine. No real sweetness, and just a touch bitter in the finish. Very smooth.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

what an awesome brew from this new-to-me bre-we-ry:-) Dark opaque black with a nice tan head of foam as well. This one leaves nice lacing as well, impressive. Aromas of chocolate, nuts, coffee, caramel, alcohol, dark fruits, and more. The taste is oaty, nutty, and chocolaty with some other lovely hints of coffee, booze, and more. The mouthfeel is thick, slick, and truly awesome. Drinkability is damn good for a stout of this nature and power as well. What a damn good, flaky oatmeal stout. Lovely, on all accounts. Vicar, can I have some more? VICAR!

At last!

The label art is kinda stupid. An illustration of a baby eating something from a bowl. Oatmeal perhaps?

Poured black as hell with a nice creamy tan/brown head that hung around for awhile. Nice lacing is deposited throughout the session.

Aroma is super rich and mostly dominated by coffee. Roasted barley, chocolate flavor and a hint of oatmeal also make appearances.

Flavor is more of the same with the coffee dominating and other flavors following. Slight coffee bitterness is masterfully balanced by the super richness of the chocolate and oatmeal flavor. Alcohol isn't close to being detected!

Feel is super syrupy and smooth but not super heavy to the tounge. Coke like carbonation.

This is one incredibly rich and drinkable stout. Stellar.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is such a tasty beer that I can't believe it's relatively easy to get! Pour is a very dark brown with no transparency. The smell is of coffee with some chocolate in the background. The taste is a complex interplay of coffee, chocolate, and caramel without being too sweet or too bitter. It is smooth and easy to drink and yet it has a lot going on. I love this beer. It is one of my new favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pitch Black with a caramel head. Good lookin beer.

S: Bitter baking chocolate and coffee. Very aromatic beer, you can smell it from far away.

T: Delicious. Good roasted flavors with lots of chocolate. Some bitterness in there but nothing overpowering. Its like drinking liquid chocolate.

M: Thick body, real creamy feel it to.

This is an incredible beer. I wish I could get it here in Rochester. Definitly have to keep an eye out for it when Im out of state.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- a little on the lighter side with light creeping in around the edges. Just a cm or two of head even with an aggressive pour.

Smell- If I closed my eyes it would be difficult to tell the difference between this and my morning coffee.

Taste- This is a perfect coffee stout in my opinion. Starts off with a with a touch of bitterness before turning into pure coffee. Despite being pretty strong there is no sign of booze to be found.

Mouthfeel- Not exceptionally thick but it coats the tounge nicely and is incredibly smooth. Nothing lingers and it is actually kind of refreshing.

Overall- I love this beer. If you aren't a huge coffee fan this might not be the beer for you, but if you like coffee in beer this is perfection.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company