Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,479 |  Reviews: 3,804
2.45/5  rDev -45.2%

2.54/5  rDev -43.2%

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color ale with a nice dark foamy head with average retention. Coffee aroma is quite overpowering with some subtle roasted malt. Taste is totally overpowered by coffee and as much as I like some coffee characteristic in my stout I cannot drink coffee. Total lack of balance or complexity, just an overpowering of coffee. Definitely not one for me.

2.57/5  rDev -42.5%

2.57/5  rDev -42.5%

I don't like coffee and this tasted just like iced coffee - and strong coffee at that. It looked good and poured well. I did not find the chocolate taste of the double chocolate. Unfortunately, I bought a four pack and my wife doesn't like stouts. Need to find a "friend" to foist the rest of them onto.

2.59/5  rDev -42.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pitch black. Coffee. Coffee. Coffee. A load of coffee. A few days ago I did drainpour another beer for the same reason. Which automatically makes me skeptical on this one which I have been waiting a long time to get my greedy little hands on. Let's taste it. Well this is not really bad. Now I get some malts too, maybe a sweet dark fruit component. My problem with this is that I hate cold coffee. And I don't want to boil this beer. What can I say about it? Maybe I don't like the style but this is a major disappointment. Will not buy again. But is just my problem. I guess.

2.6/5  rDev -41.8%

2.6/5  rDev -41.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Most over rated beer on the market

2.61/5  rDev -41.6%

Presentation: 12oz bottle, poured into a snifter

Appearance: Dead black with a light brown head that didn't last

Aroma: Smells like... uhh... coffee. Maybe a *hint* of roasted malt, and mere traces of chocolate.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Very creamy, silky and smooth. Very nice chewy mouthfeel. But the taste was less than outstanding. It tasted like a dry stout mixed with a cup of day old black coffee. Strong coffee with very little roasted malt character. I didn't get chocolate at all unless I thought really hard about chocolate. I wouldn't have guessed it was in there had I not known beforehand. No hop presence, but that's not a big deal. The finish was dry. In fact, it was only sweet at the very first. The coffee bitterness was there throughout.

Notes: This was quite a disappointment. I love Founder's and everything I've had from them, and I love oatmeal stouts, coffee stouts and chocolate stouts. But this was just not balanced. Way too much coffee. I won't be having this again.

2.62/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

2.64/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.67/5  rDev -40.3%

Founders site calls this brew "the coffee lovers consummate beer".
I will definitely give them that.

Poured into a pint glass. Served at 45-50º.

A - The darkest brown possible without being black. Head is 1.5 fingers with a beautiful dark tan color that leaves some nice lacing as the brew is consumed.

S - Coffee, coffee, and burnt malt & burnt coffee. Some hops. Slight chocolate as well. Not too bad overall, but the burnt malt/coffee just dominates and smells...well...burnt. The smell lets you know what's coming.

T - Very coffee. A bitter and burnt finish that won't go away. Not very complex overall.

M - Full-bodied. Very good for the style.

D - I was disappointed, overall, for such a highly rated brew, but this is not a beer that I would choose again. If you are looking for "the coffee lovers consummate beer" and don't mind a bitter, burnt finish, this is the beer for you.

2.69/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A decent, if overrated, burnt coffee stout.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Old fashion design around the illustration of a boy eating from a bowl, mixed with the Founders branding. Five word description: double chocolate oatmeal stout. Does not show date of bottling, but displays IBUs (60), and Alc. (8.3%) Poured into a snifter.

A - Almost opaque pour leaving a thick black color with a nice creamy head that shows good retention and leaves fine lacing.

S - Burnt coffee aromas (Espresso gone wrong, like a morning coffee maker that has been too long on the fire). Roasted malt that escapes-adds to the burnt coffee feeling, faint chocolate under the dryness of some oats. Strong and characteristic but not particularly pleasing.

T - A tone richer than the smell, the maltiness is capable of holding part of the burnt coffee closer to calling some part of the flavors "roasted" instead, but without much success. Luckily the malts don't hinder the coffee blend entirely and in fact may rescue some of that spoiled coffee taste with a distinct richness that lingers on an acidic note. Chocolate is buried under the exploded coffee wall but there is a faint semi-sweet note that embraces whatever is left struggling of that ingredient.

M - Full bodied, with smooth carbonation.

D - Hmmm, it can be drunk, but I'm feeling more and more disappointed as I progress through the beer. Unless you are passionate about the way the flavor unfolds, and also like the smell that takes a persistent front seat this is not going to be too easy to be had.

Notes: This is probably not my thing. I fear that this and others might be to some notion of style due to a discrepancy in the appreciation of coffee. This is critically burnt coffee and some aspects of the stout do rescue it, and emphatically it is not the other way around i.e. this is not coffee enhancing the brew. Now, there are brews out there doing it much better than this one (without being mind blowing Southern Tier's Jahva does it nicely, or the even their Mokah when it comes to pushing chocolate and coffee.) I have had my share of bad coffee, and this brings too many memories of it after a lifetime of enjoying straight up espresso. Then I also think that, all things considered, this is a decent brew (I do think that Founders work is typically top notch) but it suffers from over hype. Chocolate is subdued, coffee comes as burnt, and a good stout malty base does wonders in trying to rescue the attempt, unfortunately that might be the actual highlight.

As an update, I had another bottle at much colder temperature and while most of the general characteristics remain the same the burnt character that was so present the first time is not that unbearable in the second try, it has better drinkability but does not earn much in terms of memorability...

2.71/5  rDev -39.4%

A- An aggressive pour yields a pitch black beer with a brown, one finger head.

S- Sweet chocolate and strong coffee with a bit of alcohol.

T-Strong, acidic, bitter, roasty coffee with a tiny hint of chocolate and a dry, alcoholic finish.

M-I really thought the oats would contribute a thicker mouthful. To my palate, this is on the very thin side of medium bodied with low carbonation, while having some smoothness.

D-I just really don't understand the hype on this one. I've had coffee stouts before and enjoyed them, but the alcohol presence (even though the ABV is only just over 8%) and strong coffee acidity don't lend themselves to a highly drinkable brew.

2.75/5  rDev -38.5%