Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Breakfast StoutBreakfast Stout

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

The coffee lover’s consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates, and two types of coffee, this stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever.

#143

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 3,988 | Ratings: 17,400
4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Jet black color, two finger brown head, excellent lacing, no visible carbonation.

S: Sweet, chocolate. Smells wonderful!

T: Chocolate, coffee, sweet on the front end, some bitterness on the back end. Nice and balanced.

F: Medium bodied, quite smooth.

O: Very good stout, somewhere in the verge between stout and imperial stout.

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very dark, almost completely black but with very slight brown. Hits the nose with a lot of coffee, but noticeable chocolate. The taste wasn't what I expected. It's labeled as double chocolate, but the coffee taste comes out on top. Not necessarily a complaint. The chocolate is mainly in the aftertaste. Bitter, but not horribly so. The feel is a little thinner than I'd like, but thick enough to satisfy. Overall very good. For my tastes, it's easy drinking, but this style of beer is right up my alley. If you're used to lighter beers you'll want to sip and savor.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

355 mL Bottle. ABV 8.3%.
Appearance: Dark brown-black, Under a finger of dark toffee head, Inviting like a rich dessert or coffee, Head dissipates quickly.
Aroma: Lovely roasted malts, Coffee, Dark chocolate, Slight smoke, Slight molasses.
Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, Thinner than expected, Lingering bitterness, Alcohol warmth.
Flavour: Coffee beans, Bitter dark chocolate, Roasted malts.
Overall: Fantastic stout, which is heavy on the coffee. I will definitely enjoy this again. I'd love some more chewiness and body but this still remains a robust offering.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

The Genesis of KBS and CBS. How could it be bad? Just as advertised, you get the coffee and chocolate. Dark, delicious and some hops balls too. Founders is so bad-ass for a reason! Thumbs up!!

3.59/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is going to be a great beer!

Oh. 60 IBU Stout. A good beer. Way too bitter to really appreciate the excellent flavors buried by the hops.

Some day, when the herd gets past the inexplicable “brew as many ridiculously bitter beers as possible” trend, a beer like this will truly be world class.

4.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

For a 12+% beer, I didn’t find it boozy. The strongly predominant flavor is that of a very good dark chocolate. A bit too “one note” for my taste, the chocolate overwhelmed anything else

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hmm this stout is excellent for the price, four pack for $10. Great taste, coffee, oatmeal and chocolate mold together nicely! May even taste better than the KBS! Founders CBS is good as well but the difference is not much! This is a winner brew!!

3.89/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A bitter stoudt that is a little off balance tilted towards hop and not enough malt. Good beer not great and thats why I rate it below a 4 threshold. Ages well. Better off with a Founders KBS or CBS or even the Sumutra Ale that I rank 4.5+.

4.66/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Looks...I'm excited when I see beers this dark
Smell...a lot of coffee, some chocolate, and grain maybe but all good
Taste...Mostly what I expected, Creamy, a good bit of coffee, some chocolate, some oats maybe, bitter but a perfect bitter !
Feel... creamy and smooth but with a bite
Overall...Distinctive, terrific and bold flavor

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pitch black with a thin tan head.

Smell: It smells exactly like coffee

Taste: A lot of coffee, chocolate, pretty bitter.

Mouthfeel: Smooth

Overall: I do not like coffee and generally do not like coffee beers, but this is an exception.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

My favorite! all day drinkable, deep and complex coffee and chocolate flavor in a thick heavy bodied refreshment that goes down with ease. I have found that this beer tastes much better around. 50 - 55 degrees and gets more complexity the warmer it gets home to room temperature.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a very nice, chocolaty smooth,nice dry crisp finish. It goes very well with brisket and eggs for breakfast. Nice creamy head, Smooth lacing and very well balanced taste

2.8/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Wow, I haven't been this disappointed in a long time. The reviews on this beer are fantastic (though some complain of a strong coffee taste), and I'm NOT a picky person generally. I looked up serving temp and sampled it from 55F to 70F. At every single sip along the temperature continuum, I was greeted with a strong metallic aftertaste. Yuck! I drank 4 of the 12oz and poured the rest down the drain. Bottled on "01-16-2019." Bad batch?

4.32/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

12 Oz bottle poured into glass
Look - very dark almost black as expected. Medium foam head slowly fades, some excellent glass lacing
Smell - Mocha, lots of chocolate and coffee. A bit of caramel and grain.
Taste - Very bitter chocolate and hops. Creamy coffee and oats. Slight metallic flavor like cherries. It has a full profile, I personally don't think it goes down easy because it is filling. Carbonation is medium. A bit of alcohol warmth. I would like even more coffee flavor.

Overall, it's very good, bold flavor stout. It really is a great morning brew and i would like to try it a few more times to get a consistent idea of what it is. Grade is an A

3.91/5  rDev -13.3%

Ok, so let me start-off with a preface. My wifey brings home a lot of, free, dark chocolates...which we always end up giving away.

Now back to the review.

I always drink my stouts a little cooler than room temperature. I do this because I love the head, and because I get the best aromas off the head this way.

First-off...the color was spectacular. The oats gave it a super full body/richness, which also made it super thick and dark.

I grabbed a 350-lumen flashlight, and I could FAINTLY see a dark tan around the very edges of the glass. With a regular flashlight, I could not see any light at all.

Awesome! I love my stouts super dark and full-bodied.

The head was also thick. (I tilt the glass 45° and fill it half way. Then I straighten the glass and slam the rest of the bottle/can into the glass for a nice head).

The bubbles were super small and tight. And it also left a super nice lace.

Mind you, this is a smidgen cooler than room temps. I’m guessing at around 65° F.

As for the smell...it was also great. But sadly (like I started with my preface), I dislike dark chocolate. And the smell was very prevalent with dark chocolate.

The taste was fantastic. I loved that it was not overly bitter at all. As a matter of fact, it was creamy and smooth.

But that dark chocolate taste was extremely prevalent...which I did not like.

Mind you, this is just me. If you like the dark chocolate smell and taste, this might be for you.

But it wasn’t for me.

May I also add that it had a high 8.3. ABV. But both me and my wifey did not feel that it was that high at all.

We both agreed that it felt less than Founders regular porter (my favorite), which is only 6.5 ABV.

So the ABV on our 4-pack was weaker than marked.

Weird.

Anyhoo...it was a bit expensive at $11.00 (BevMo) for only 4 bottles.

I guess it had extra ingredients. But I could not get past the dark chocolate taste.

I’m looking around for a clone recipe of this, and I’ll substitute the dark chocolate with cocoa nibs (or maybe caramel), and it’ll probably rock.

But that’s just me.

Great oat stout otherwise.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a black color with moderate head that stayed a while.
Smells strongly of coffee with some chocolate undertones.
The coffee and chocolate follow through to the taste.
Medium to heavy body and a full mouth feel.
This beer got better as I got farther through it and it warmed slightly.
Would rank a 9 out of 10 on the would you like to sit down with a 12 pack of this brew scale. Would rank higher, but it is too heavy to drink 12.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours like chocolate milk (full fat!) into the pint glass. Thin, light-brown head. Smells like a mocha espresso from a coffee shop. Taste is dark chocolate, espresso beans, some vanilla and toffee. Goes down easy - too easy. This one is a treat.

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black color with a rapidly dissipating tan head.
Rich coffee and chocolate aroma.
Chocolate taste up front, followed by dark roast coffee.
Very rich, drinks well as your morning coffee.

4.34/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent coffee and chocolate notes. Pours very dark with a light tan head that dissipates quickly. Thick, rich mouthfeel, decadent almost dessert like. This is one of the best coffee stouts you’ll find anywhere.

4.31/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Doesn't get much darker than this brew. Thick black stout. Strong coffee and chocolate aroma. Very heavy. So thick you can almost chew it. Sweet chocolate up front followed by a coffee bitterness. Fantastic.

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle. Pours black with a half finger of brown head. Smells of dark chocolate and roasted grains. Medium feel. Moderate bitterness with rich oat, coffee, and chocolate flavors. Excellent, love world-class beers that are easy to find.

Finally got the chance to try this beer.
Look: Black with a dark brown head. Deep red when held up to the light.
Smell: Coffee
Taste: Mildly bitter start with a sweet aftertaste. Lots of coffee and chocolate. Not very boozy at all, which is impressive for such a high alcohol content.
Feel: Very creamy

This one is definitely going into the rotation. One of my favorites!

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

It's strange that I've never had this until this week. I guess because of the relatively high abv. It's potent, but not especially boozy, which can be a dangerous combination! Anyway, it tasted of chocolate with some coffee notes. A friend thought it smelled more of coffee. It's excellent, though I split part of my bottle with a generous host.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Coffee- chocolate flavors, a little roastiness from the coffee, but the oats definitely make it smooth, or so they tell me. Not too thick, easy to quaff, and it won’t knock ya sideways at 8.3%. A great anytime stout and you can pay more, but a better value won’t be found.

4.51/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Yard House Fresno

A: Pours dark brown, nearly black, with a creamy cocoa brown head that settles to a thin layer and leaves some nice lacing.

S: Bold coffee, roasted malt, dark chocolate, earthy, a little pine, peppery spice, molasses, and a little toffee sweetness.

T: Roadted malt, bold but smooth almost espresso like coffee, bittersweet dark chocolate, peppery spice, a touch of pine, earthy faintly herbal notes, the slightest hint of dark fruit, molasses, and a little toffee sweetness.

M: Full body, moderate carbonation, creamy smooth. Wonderful.

O: Had my fair share of this stuff over the years, but somehow haven't rated it until now. So we'll balanced, it's about as good as it gets for a straight imperial stout.

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company