Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,798 | Ratings: 16,418
4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A beer I've had many times when I lived in Boston both on tap and in a bottle, but it definitely wasn't as fresh as this now that I live in Chicago.

Appearance: Jet black, pours incredibly thick with a coffee/chocolate colored head that sticks around.

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, malt, with a slight bitterness throughout.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Coffee. If you don't like coffee this beer probably isn't for you. The chocolate and oatmeal help to mellow the bitterness out a bit and also add a lot to the thick, creamy texture. As it warms the mouthfeel gets thicker, creamier, and definitely more enjoyable. A reason in itself to get this beer out of the fridge and let it get to that 50-55 before you drink it.

Drinkability: Nothing resembling the 8.3% abv in the taste, but still its full bodied and the overwhelming coffee flavor often relegates it to an after dinner beer for me.

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Here we go, my first FBS that is just a week or so old. A "Malt beverage brewed with chocolate and coffee", 60 IBUs, 8.3% alcohol. Comes in a stubby-ish 12 oz bottle with a pop off cap.

Pours into my american pint glass. Looks like syrup as it pours and forms a thick 2 finger burnt caramel sandy looking head that sticks around before receding and leaving behind some fine lacing. A thick layer of head stays on top. The beer it self is pitch black, and I mean 100% opacity even on the fringes.

Smell is heavy on coffee with that thick, fresh, bitter roasted coffee shoppe scent. Also hints of dark chocolate, dark fruit, and brown sugar. Coffee and malt madness for the most part.

Smell carries into taste in a massive way. Huge coffee bitterness up front with the decadent chocolate in the middle, finishing with coffee infused hop IBU's. Im not a coffee drinker but the taste of this one doesn't put me off one bit, especially with the huge sweet and roasty malt backbone. The subtle lemon hops can be found in the background with a concentrated taste and subtly accent the coffee superbly. Burps reveal more hops which mix beautifully with the bitter coffee.

Mouthfeel is decadent and super full bodied. There is a great amount of carbonation and a coffee-like smoothness that caresses the tongue.

The drinkablility suffers simply because this is such a big brew. The alcohol isn't completely hidden though it doesn't hinder the drinkablility, rather it accents the flavors and warms. I can't wait to try this again in winter. That being said the massiveness of this one gets you full with one bottle.

Overall one of my favorite stouts, for my personal tastes it doesn't make the top 20 but there is true quality in this stuff that isn't hidden even to someone like me who isn't into the big coffee flavor as much. The addition of hops and chocolate really help this one be more palatable for non coffee drinkers.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked up a growler of Breakfast Stout at Party Town in Florence, KY. Poured into a snifter.

Pours black, with a light creamy tan head.

Smells of coffee, bitter chocolate, molasses...some super dark malty notes here...and very coffee-like. Sweet on the nose, but not overly sweet smelling.

Taste is amazing...dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee. The alcohol is coming through, but not overpowering. Some hints of vanilla, pepper, and some other spices...

Overall, this stout is incredible. It's dry, but not too dry. It has some sweet notes, and the coffee flavor lingers for a long time. The mouthfeel is a little light...but is incredibly drinkable and remarkably balanced.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle poured into a chalice.. dark dark brown and black colors with tan lacing. There's a lot going on with the smell: semisweet dark chocolate, vanilla, molasses, oak, a subtle smokiness, and loads of rich black coffee. The taste is similar.. it is very sweet with a lot of vanilla and a little nuttiness. Mouthfeel is not as creamy as I was expecting, very carbonated and a little on the fizzy end. This isn't over the top extreme and sports awesome drinkability.

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Opaque with a rich, two-finger dark brown cap that leaves tree ring-like lacing. Fantastic.

S - Smells like Starbucks does in the morning.

T - Mocha Java! Splendid roasted malts that aren't burnt with some nice hoppiness; no scorched tree bark with this creamy delight.

M - No ABV-inspired heat for this dense and creamy delight.

D - Yup.

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%

Finally, the acclaimed Breakfast Stout makes its way to my glass. Let's do it!

Poured into my Stone imperial pint kinda lazily. Thin head, requisite darkness.

I give it a few sniffs. Hell yeah. This is what I'm talking about. F'ing chocolate, hazelnut and of course coffee, with a minimum of roastiness.

Every now and again, it's great to have an imperial stout that isn't roasty to all hell. Indeed, the dark roast coffee flavors are at a minimum...hell, it's like drinking slightly less-sweetened coffee ice cream. Whatever coffee they use for this, it seems like a light, bright roast...dare I say it, a breakfast blend. OK, obviously there is a shitload of coffee in here, but the underlying beer isn't half bad either. Very smooth drinking, kinda creamy yet with a reasonably lively mouthfeel.

Name be damned, I honestly don't think I want this with my oatmeal at 7AM. It is 8%, after all. That said, for an 8% stout, I don't think you can get much better drinkability, as long as you like coffee. Reminds me of the Terrapin Wake N Bake. I have become a coffee stout fan, actually....yeah, Mr. Farmhouse Ale likes to cross over to the dark side every now and again, for sure.

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Dark brown, or I suppose it's pretty much black beer, quite opaque. Topped with a couple cm of dark brwon head off the pour. The head receded relatively quickly to a thick collar.

S-Roasted coffee beans, chocolate, fresh-pressed coffee. The aroma was rich and inviting, but perhaps a bit one-dimensional.

T-Rich, heavy-roasted coffee *SMACK* right off the bat, and it keeps flying for the whole flavor. It doesn't give up. Earthiness appears in the middle and lingers into the finish. Roasty astringency pairs with a firm hop bitterness to keep things in line. Sweet, dar fruitiness emerges near the finish, providing some additional depth. The chocolate seemed absent in the flavor.

M-Medium to medium-full body, making a good presence on my palate. Medium-low carbonation is smooth, appropriate. Nothing spectacular, but surely above average.

D-For its size and ABV, this beer seems to be surprisingly drinkable. I'm glad that Founders is now in the Twin Cities, and that I have the opportunity to drink this scrumptious brew. Could be dangerous as a viable replacement to my morning coffee :D

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.
A - 1 finger tan head with good retention. Black as any other stout.
S - COFFEE, hiding behind the coffee I got roasted malt and a hint of alcohol.
T - COFFEE, tasted same as smell.
M - Needed more carbonation IMO. Very creamy smoothness that I did enjoy. Very silky going down like an oatmeal stout, but didn't have a whole lot of chewiness to it.
D - One is fine for me thank you.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Completely opaque. Beautiful thick, thick foamy brown head. Careful or it will escape. The head never leaves except for the part that sticks to you glass.

Smell: It smells very strongly of old-coffee-pot coffee. Bitter and roasty. Lots of dark roated malt and some chocolate hints. I could go for more chocolate and less coffee, but thats being too picky. It smells intense and delicious.

Taste: Like the smell, dominated by bitter coffee. If you really like the bitterness of plain iced coffee like I do, this is for you. The chocolate is again more subtle than I'd like, and I miss it more in the taste than I did in the smell. On the other hand, this is breakfast stout, not dessert stout. There's also some spiciness and some real hoppiness too. The finish is practically eternal and some nice sweetness comes through here too.

Mouthfeel: Quite full and smooth. A little foamy in your mouth. Almost chewy. It could be fuller, I guess, but not much.

Drinkability: This is awesome stuff. Intense coffee flavor. At 8%, you can still get away with having 2 for yourself when you're in the mood. Would be good after dinner too.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

fresh 12 oz bottle from this year's brewing
a: pours a dark black with nice tan head
s: smells of dark roasted coffee, perhaps a faint note of alcohol as well
t: taste is rich with roast coffee, roasted malts , and some chocolate as the beer warms. a nice bitter finish.
m: very creamy, full, mouth coating mouthfeel. light carbonation
d: not bad considering the alcohol content i could drink a couple of these

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Pours practically solid black with a menacingly dark tan head. Even with a vigorous pour the head doesn't amount to much and fades quickly but the lacing really sticks to the glass and doesn't budge.

S: very smoky, if I was into cigars or "fine tobacco" products I think I could be more descriptive....I have friends that are...I should have them take a whiff of this...dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans, hint of dark fruits

T: This really does taste like breakfast...I'm a coffee drinker...and I could totally imagine me replacing this with my morning cup-a-joe...I've had a few coffee stouts and it seems a lot either have just a hint of coffee or they taste like they have artificial coffee flavors added...this beer hits the mark for me...other than coffee...bitter dark chocolate and smokiness again...as the beer warms up the flavors start to take over my mouth...nice bitter finish

M: medium carbonation...slick, but not quite as thick as I'd like it...but it still carries the richness very well...it does get better as it warms

D: for how rich this beer is...it's very drinkable...and it gets better and better as it warms...

Overall very excellent...I figured the name "breakfast stout" was just a gimmick...but I really wouldn't be surprised if I'm craving one of these in the morning..

4.74/5  rDev +6%

Best part of theis wonderful beer is the strong, strong coffee smell. I have some bottles from last year and that part is gone, so drink fresh. Pours black as night. Thick mouth feel, with a bitter coffee taste. This is my favorite of all the coffee beers and I am trying to taste them all, so i have had a few.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Bottle via trade, twice. Need to keep track of my trades better so I'll know who to attribute these beers to.

A - Pours black with a nice tan head.

S - Real nice coffee aroma, along with roast and cocoa.

T - Somewhat bitter with lots of coffee, roasted malt, oats, and chocolate. This really would be a nice breakfast beer, and I'd drink it every morning if I didn't mind being a raging alcoholic.

M - Nice and full but a little more astringent and less over-the-top syrupy than something like Dark Lord or whatnot. Some hop/coffee bitterness lasts on the palate.

D - High for an imperial stout.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

Bought as a single bottle at discount liquors in milwaukee, wi. this beer already has my mouth watering as the label read "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout"

As I pour I can tell this stuff is very viscous, reminds me much of motor oil looks sticky and syrupy. Black black black, not hint of ruby whatsoever. Head is thin but very creamy looking, very suiting for the chocolatey mess im getting myself into.

Smell- wahwahweee coffee! nose is all coffee to me with lots of sweetness and subtle chocolate notes.

Taste much like the nose. This beer is very distracting from my review, i want to just stop typing and keep drinking. Chocolate upfront with a definite coffee aftertaste. Mouthfeel is sticky, creamy just the right amount of carbonation.

Easily quaffed.

4.31/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.
Poured a dark black with absolutely no light making it into the beer.
Dark, Rich, Roasted malt smell. Hints of coffee but nothing really strong.
Roasted malts and chocolate taste up front with coffee not far behind. Coffee taste gets better and noticable as it warms.
Creamy mouth feel with a bit of dryness at the finish.
Over all a great beer. Can wait to have one of these on a cold afternoon...or morning.

3.71/5  rDev -17%

This is my third or so Founders Breakfast. I think it is time for a review.

A- Pours a nice black stout color with a pretty tan head. Perfect lacing.
S- Full of esters with a slight smell of chocolate.
T- As I have had a few of these, I have had consistant experiences. Overrated and not all that super. The taste to me is too hoppy and chalky for a Breakfast Stout, but this is my palate.
M- Light to medium carbonation with that same chalky aftertaste.
D- Overall, I would order it at a restaurant (if there were Founders around here), but would reccomend something different for someone who is looking for a Great Breakfast Stout.

-Bye

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Went to the liquor store hoping to see some fresh 4-packs of BS for sale. No luck. I did, however, find a year-old bottle hiding amongst a bunch of Old Curmudgeon and Cerise. Score!

I hard-poured the shit out of this stuff and was still only able to put a tiny head on the fucker. Even when served too cold it poured like motor oil with a small, brown head. There's not a drop of light shining through. Brilliant.

The smell is roasty-toasty malts, dark chocolate and coffee beans.

Oh, momma. Coffee, bittersweet chocolate and massive malts. FBS ain't nothin' to fuck with.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and borderline chewy. Just like I like my stouts.

Drinkability is dangerously high given the abv. This is just a ridiculously delicious stout.

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Looks very thick. Pitch black with a dark cappucino-colored head. Good head retention.

Smell: Lots of fresh ground coffee. Some bitter chocolate.

Taste: Great blend of coffee and dark chocolate. The coffee is experienced first and once those flavors fade you get the dark bitter chocolates. Very smooth.

Overall this is an exceptional brew and well worth the hype.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

I've heard a lot of good things about this brew and I've been impressed with the Centennial IPA so I'm looking forward to this one.

A - A slow pour from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Very little head - cocoa brown head that recedes quickly with minimal lacing. Beer is pitch black - probably the darkess stout I've seen. A few swirls bring back a 1/2 finger of the dark tan foam.

S - Wonderful aroma of roasted coffee beans with a hint of chocolate and even a bit of anise and molasses. Toasted, bready malts also.

T - Mirrors the aroma - coffee and cocoa beans with a bit of licorice

M - Thinner on the tongue than I expected. A little carbonation but not much. Dry finish

D - Even with the 8.3% ABV, this is a highly drinkable stout. Excellent on the nose and tongue with no sweetness or stickiness that sometimes detracts from bigger stouts.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear glass snifter. No freshness date. Purchased as 4-pack at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $10.25.

A: Totally opaque black with tan edges and short cap of tan head with a few spots of lace.

S: Plenty of dark chocolate and coffee but a ton of leafy, tobacco-ish hops come through with big toasted malts

T: The taste is very bitter but cut nicely with more sweet than bitter chocolate. The leafy hops still play a huge role in the slightly but not unpleasantly acrid finish.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth generally except that the finish is a bit astringent. Carbonation is really low and it has a really nice coating, viscous quality that is good but not too much.

D: Deadly good drinkability and superior quality. Not a surprise given the huge love this brew gets, but I still think I like Expedition Stout and Ten Fidy a little more.

12/5/2009: At 3 months, the tobacco nature of the hops has faded and the chocolate and coffee character is gaining some steam.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Fresh bottle from the August 2009 release...

Appearance: Vigorous pours yields a pitch black, opaque sludge with a finger of mocha brown head that slowly disappears leaving a thing film along the top of the beer, and tons of gorgeous lacing down the sides of the glass.

Smell: From far away, toasted malts of chocolate and grains reigns supreme. As the glass moves closer, coffee, chocolate, vanilla, toffee, and cream all make an appearance. Toasted oats are very faint, but the sweet malts are the most prevalent notes in the nose of this beer.

Taste: Sweet, chocolaty, malty, coffee goodness. At first, this beer seems like it's going to be a coffee stunner, but as it moves to the middle of the tongue, the bitterness recedes and the chocolate and toffee flavors jump forward. The finish is all sticky, toasted oats and grain malt flavors. There's a slight alcoholic taste that lingers as well, but the sheer variety of flavors and the smoothness of the transitions is amazing.

Mouthfeel: This beer has it all. Initially, the beer is perfectly carbonated, and slightly crisp. At the end, the beer is surprisingly sticky, coating the tongue with sweet, molasses yumminess.

Drinkability: This beer is frighteningly drinkable. The 8.3% ABV is well-hidden, but the beer still manages to pack a little bit of a punch. It certainly doesn't help that the beer is so tasty that you find yourself taking sip after sip just to enjoy another kaleidoscope of flavors. This beer is meant to be savored, but it's so damn good that sometimes, that just might not be possible!

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow, this beer pours an amazing midnight black with a medium sized coffee colored head. Dark and delicious in appearance, looks top notch.

The smell is of cold pressed coffee and dark unsweetened chocolate, very heavy aromas.

Taste is delicious, the first sensation is of coffee followed by a dark unsweetened chocolate flavor. Lots of coffee, lots of chocolate, these flavors are so strong none of the others have a chance. Extremely delicious, the flavors here are incredible.

Thick viscous mouthfeel, definitely a great beer for a cold winter's night, perhaps I will save some for such a time. Low carbonation in this beer as most double stouts feature.

Very drinkable, you may not be able to enjoy more than a few in one sitting though, as it is very thick and filling.

Very damn good beer, definitely worth purchasing.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Jet black with thin tan head that leaves slight spotty lacing.

Smell: Espresso beans, dark chocolate, vanilla and licorice. Some noticeable alcohol.

Taste: Not quite as coffee dominant as it smelled. Tastes like a fantastic mixture of coffee, chocolate and roasted malts, with light fruitiness and licorice detected. Unlike some coffee beers, I can actually taste the Stout underneath. Nice bitterness at the end, which seems to be due to hops as much as burnt, roasted malts.

Feel: Liquid velvet. Very, very smooth rich full body with low carbonation. Slightly warming.

Drinkability: Great sipping brew, but I have never been compelled to drink a lot of coffee beer at once. That said, this may be the most drinkable one I have had.

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with very little tan head. Smelled of coffee and dark chocolate. Taste was slightly acrid, coffee, chocolate, oats, some molasses. Maybe some dark fruits. Mouthfeel was creamy and lightly carbonated. Drinkability was high, especially drinking it with breakfast. Alcohol not even noticeable. Had to double check the bottle that it was over 8% abv.

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a hefeweizen glass.

A deep brown/black, viscous liquid that could be mistaken for motor oil, until you see the soft, brown head beginning to form. A little bit of lacing. The smell is laden with Kona coffee and espresso, with a touch of oats and wheatberry. There is a strong chocolate presence in there, as well as the beer begins to warm. Exceptional flavor with an intense, rounded coffee/chocolate flavor, a touch of nuttiness, and a bit of earthiness as well.

I don't feel that the hop structure is overwhelming, as many of my colleagues claim, largely because the temperment begins to round out on the back end. Certainly not thin in the mouth, but it does possess a softness reminiscent of the oats that balances the beer remarkably well. Again, the beer seems to come into its own and develop a more full-bodied structure as it warms. Very drinkable, even at 8.3% ABV, as the alcohol and carbonation are cleverly hidden.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company