Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,706 | Ratings: 16,014
4.04/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I enjoyed this beer ~2 weeks ago before I joined BA. I prefer a light, sweeter tasting porter or stout. My tolerance for extra deep, hoppy, molasses, and anise type tastes is not very strong. This was a STRONG porter for me-almost stout like. It had a nice smell and bouquet of molasses and coffee. The strong hoppy, molasses taste was not my favorite. Though the coofee flavors were good it left a bitter aftertaste for me. It was really enjoyable when I had a piece of milk chocolate along with it-completely changed the taste to a sweeter more enjoyable porter. I suggest having it with a nice, sweet desert. Cost = $1.99/bottle(the bier cellar, Portland, ME)

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Still poured a 1/2 in. thick creamy head! Just cracked a 2011 Version and the chocolate notes are huge. The mouthful is fairly dense for the abv. Hints of some coffee but that would be the one to fade in the 5 year aging process. Outstanding!

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is only the 2nd time I've had any type of stout, the first one being a milk stout. I took it from my fridge and let it sit out for 15-20 minutes. I poured it into a nonic pint glass. The color was that of a deep espresso with a light brown head that quickly subsided. The nose was rich with chocolate an I picked up some molasses notes. Not being a fan of very bitter beers I was very pleasantly surprised that in spite of it being toward the higher IBU range there was a nice balance, probably due to the oats used, so the bitterness didn't overshadow all the other marvelous flavors. It was light and rich on the to gnu at the same time and left some nice lacing on the glass. Definite notes of chocolate and coffee. This could turn me into a stout fan.

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another great stout from Founders, they really know how to make them. Dark brown, blackish with awesome flavor. Deep and touching to the soul, great blend of coffee and cocoa, simply perfection. The thing I love the most is that it isn't real hard to find all year round.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I just bought a 4 pack of this stout. The look is black with a tan head that dissipates rather quickly. The smell is coffee, coffee, and more coffee. There is also some dark chocolate and oaks. The taste is amazing! The coffee and chocolate is blended nicely and tastes like nice expresso. The feel is good. This stout is not too thick, but I am glad this is not a thin liquidy stout. Overall, this is very a nice coffee stout. In will definitely be buying another 4 pack.

Founders Breakfast Stout

This is my all time favorite beer that is easily obtained year around, no questions asked.

Look: Dark brown with a light brown head on the pour.

Smell: Smells like chocolate and coffee, with a very enjoyable sweetness.

Taste: It taste amazing! Same as the smell with chocolate and coffee, dessert like flavors all around.

Feel: Perfect for this type of beer, not too think but not too thing or watery.

Overall, this is my go to during the fall and winter months when I need that full bodied dessert flavored beverage. I highly recommend picking this up to enjoy. If you like this, then you will enjoy KBS, which is a little harder to find but tastes even better. As always, enjoy responsibly!

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- Pours a deep black color with a big coffee colored head. Just what I want to see from a stout.

S- Lots of coffee and dark chocolate malts in the nose.

T- Follows the nose. Tons of dark chocolate and coffee flavors, even more than one would expect from the aroma. Outstanding.

F- Medium to thick body.

O- This beer lives up to the hype, and it's one of my favorite stouts I've ever tasted. If you want loads of coffee flavor in your stout, this is for you.

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I purchased a bottle of this from a Trig's grocery store in Schofield, WI. Founders Breakfast Stout pours a dark hue with a faint head and a decent lacing. The aroma is a mixture of roasted malt, coffee beans and cacao. The flavor is very powerful with the coffee bean and cacao coming out initially and finishing with the roasted malt. I can even notice a touch of vanilla as well. There is a slight bitterness at the end but nothing too overpowering. This is a fantastic and extremely flavorful stout.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Black bordering on slightly less black than black, but still black. Like dark drip coffee. No head to speak of. But somehow there's still residuals left on the glass. Go figure.

Nose is faint but rich coffee and dark chocolate come through. Good flavours, just wouldn't mind them asserting themselves a little better.

Flavour takes those notes and runs. Rich creamy dark chocolate and silky black coffee drive this whole thing, weaving in and out of one another wonderfully. Body is just the light side of heavy and oily/silky smoothe.

This is what it says it is, that is if it says that it is good shit. Because this is good shit. From @WesMantooth's awesome NBS BIF #3 box. Thanks Corey!

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours very dark, with a tan thick head. Aroma of chocolate, coffee, roasted malts - very pleasant aroma. Taste doesn't disappoint - the chocolate and coffee come through, and the alcohol doesn't overpower the drink. This is one of the best readily available stouts!

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

My first love. This was my gateway stout 8). So many great flavors, booze, chocolate, and coffee. Smells incredible... For a beer than you can easily find for half the year, it's really a must have.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - nice pitch black beer with a mocha head on it, nice lacing
S - nice coffee, chocolate, dark malts, some vanilla creaminess in there
T - coffee, chocolate, dark malts, roasted marshmallows, vanilla, oatmeal, exactly what it claims to be
M- thick, alcohol covered completely, aftertaste more chocolate and coffee
O - overall great beer. Slightly overrated if u ask me though.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Purchased from a Spartan\Nash store in a 4 pack of bottles. Poured into a pint glass, a nice and thick stout that doesn't try to jump out of your glass. I think the hops and roasted malts do a great job hiding the
8.3 abv. Not overly sweet and surprisingly easy to drink for the high alcohol content. Founders brewery is one of the great things about living in Michigan.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

10 oz pour at Craft Beer Co, Covent Garden. Key, not cask. Pours pretty much black with a super-solid tan head. I could have placed a pound coin on this head and it would have held for a couple minutes. Lacing sticking all over. Nose is very mild compared to expectations. A bit fruity...like the fruity coffee notes from varietals like Kenya AA and Ethiopian Yirgacheffe...and some ice coffee. Bit not a lot. Taste is better, with the initial feeling of sweetness (probably more from the heavy mouthfeel) fading to dry, almost ashy, with lots of coffee on the finish. Coffee/ashy notes last a while. Mouthfeel is heavy. Carbonation is a bit high for the style IMO. Overall, a very good beer, but I don't rate it quite as high as some. It is extremely close to a homebrew I make, which may make it less exciting/different to me.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 11/15, so it is about 5 months old at this point. The intensity of the coffee in this beer is very impressive. This is like a double shot of espresso, dropped into a chocolate milkshake. Very impressive!

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Breakfast of champions! Looks as thick as a milkshake. Very aromatic with complex coffee, chocolate, and oat smell and taste. A bit of a bitter aftertaste for a stout and just a trace of the alcohol. The taste is overshadowed by the overwhelming body that overflows the palate. Delicious!

So, this beer and you are going to have a good relationship if you both go into it with a good understanding of what each is bringing. This is not a beer to pound back on a hot summer day after mowing the lawn, it is not hoppy, it is not light nor bright. Those things are at times great, and if that's what you're looking for you're going to likely hate this beer. HOWEVER, if you want a thick cloudy, unctuous stout that packs a ton of flavor, then you're in for a good time. It's thick, velvety on the tongue and incredibly flavorful. It's at that "border-line meal replacement" level for a beer.

If you're doing breakfast for dinner it makes a nice replacement for a cup of coffee. That should give you a good idea of the intensity of the drink.

Easy to find and reasonably priced unlike 3 Floyds here. Grocery stores have it even. Pours a dark coffee color with excellent lacing. Most times will just drink it from the bottle and drink it fast as I cannot get enough. Tastes like excellent coffee, and dark chocolate (slight toffee and caramel notes with a little oatmeal). Predominately coffee and chocolate. I honestly could drink this when I wake up! Have to say this is one of the best beers I have ever had.

Frankly this is the cat's meow, the shizzle for my nizzle, or a like a great lay. Usually I will drink one to two of these beers at a time always wanting to drink more of it. Once and only once did I drink four in rapid succession going into the City of Chicago on Metra (yes they let you drink on the train which is strange since I am from Indiana and even though I left that state 15 years ago I still feel like I might get arrested for drinking on Metra it just still feels strange). After four of these beers I felt absolutely fantastic. My buzz or drunken haze was perfect. My burps were chocolate and coffee notes and a wonderful full feeling as if I had a great meal when I did't eat much that day. It also isn't overly filling for a Stout. This is probably one of the best beers made by anyone, and that I have had or will have (I just cannot say anything about his beer is wrong. It's liquid courage or a complete diet.

My father who never really drank in 72 years of life, who I have only seen drunk 2 times (with one large Sapporo in Las Vegas (the first time) and a strong Irish Coffee the second time (I am 42 and I have only seem drink a handful of times) drank this beer in 5 minutes and immediately wanted more. He was begging me to find out where to buy this and immediately ran out and bought some. Mind you this is a person who rarely if ever drinks. This beer is what ever Stout strives to be or should be it is that good.

A PERFECT SCORE indeed and the only perfect five I have given!

4.29/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On Tap at twisted oak.

Jet black pot with a tan head. Ideal looking stout

Smells of coffee butter chocolate and malt

Taste is coffee forward followed by malty chocolate.

Excellent example of the style

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark and oily looking with very little head. Nose has coffee, bitter chocolate, creaminess, coffee grounds. Body is viscous and thick. Palate has similarity to the nose, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, some burnt coffee grounds. A great beer if a little on the expensive side.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Basically, no head with a fairly gentle pour. Color is dark, dark brown. Smells and tastes like 3/4 French roast coffee mixed with 1/4 dark chocolate, with a slightly bitter finish. I'm normally not too much of a heavy stout fan because I find them a bit sweet and bog down my drinking after awhile, But I really like this one because of the soft bitterness.

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

The look and smell after pouring promise a lot, and the taste and body more than deliver. There's an incredible balance between sweet and bitter that somehow doesn't blunt the experience of either, as I've experienced with to many other stouts. Will definitely look forward to my next glass.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Probably the best stout on the shelf that is fairly very available. Pours a classic inky black with a decent kakhi brown head. Coffee, chocolate, roasted oats, and caramel with a similar aroma. Mouthfeel is full with a sticky finish. Overall I really enjoy this stout more than many of the sought after brewery only stouts.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pitch black with a nice dark brown head with significant surface tension.

Smell is medium coffee, bitter chocolate and sweet milk chocolate. Bitter oats. Some earthy hops. Ghiradelli 72% cacao chocolate squares.

Taste follows smell: coffee, bitter chocolate first, faint touch of sweet milk chocolate, some earthy hops, oats, caramel, fudge.

Mouthful is decent. A touch over-carbed for my personal preference for style.

Overall: awesome beer. One of the first crafts I ever had. Always, always nice to have.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Looks pitch black in the glass, with a fluffy tan head that eventually dies down in a thin tan ring, but leaves splotchy lacing.

The aroma offers bittersweet medium roast coffee, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, earth, caramel, oats, and brown sugar.

The palate smacks of dark chocolate, milk chocolate, baking cocoa, caramel, burnt toast, oats, and dark roasted coffee, lingering long into the finish of wood smoke, dark chocolate, and heavily roasted coffee.

The mouthfeel is medium-full, filling, and smoothly carbonated.

This one of the best chocolate-coffee-stouts you will on the shelves, period. One of the best Founders beers, and one of the best coffee beers, period.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company