Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,745 | Ratings: 16,180
4.72/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

In a clean, dry glass mug.
L- STP 30 weight, but in a good way
S- chocolate, with lesser degree of coffee and vanilla
T- chocolate, coffee with slight cinnamon at the end.
F- velvety, rich
O- 'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'

3.87/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beer is pitch black with a thin head that disappeared quickly. The beer has the aromas of chocolate, coffee, and spices. Beer tastes pretty similar to the smell, there is defiantly a spice kick at the end of the drink. The beer isnt very drying but the spice sticks in the back of my throat. Good carbonation.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a st bernardus goblet. Pours fairly thick and viscous. Lacy head that dissipates shortly. Wafts of coffee, toffee, vanilla, and chocolate warm the nostrils. This is a delicious beer. Obvious coffee flavor with hints of the aforementioned notes. Aftertaste is great. Coats the palate. Overall, if not the best, surely top 5 stouts I've ever had.

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle,into a snifter.

1 finger,frothy,cinnamon/brown khaki head.Dark black body with slow/moderate carbonation.No light coming through the glass.

The nose is strong coffee,and sweet/dark chocolate notes,with roasted Java,malt,and oat highlights.Nice rich and toasty scent.

The palate is strong/dark coffee,and sweet dark chocolate,with some roasted malts.A slight metallic flavor,but nothing offensive.The body is thick,chewy,and creamy.

I actually bought a case of this beer to bring with me,when I move to Massachusetts...Just in case it is not available up there.A very good breakfast stout...One that I drink often,and will continue to drink often.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Deep dark brown/black and oily thick. Nice brown head on top. Quite sticky.
S: Heavy on the coffee and chocolate. Nice dark malt. Slight vanilla and toffee notes as well.
T: A ton of coffee and chocolate and you would expect from the aroma. Little bit of spice. Very faint alcohol presence.
F: thicky and oily. smooth.
O: Fantastic. Best readily available imperial stout

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap in a snifter glass. Had this once before from a bottle and tap was much better.

A dark color with a finger of dark tan head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

A malty coffee taste with a really nice chocolate in the mix. There is some vanilla in there and maybe cinnamon or something spicy. The complex taste really sets this one apart.

Everything blends for a nice complex taste. Enjoying every sip. More of the chocolate and spice around the middle of the glass.

Very smooth feel for the complexity. I liked the little bitterness thrown in.

I'm not a regular stout drinker but this one is a must have.

Purchased from bottle on 11/9/16. Bottled 8/5/16 09:53:33.

L - Dark brown, translucent. Proper glass not readily available to determine the head color/level.
S - Coffee and chocolate prominent.
T - Chocolate flavor prominent on the palette initially, then the coffee flavor settles in if left to linger and absorb all the flavors of the beer. The aftertaste is slightly hoppy/bitter with prominent coffee notes.
F - Delightfully balanced. The carbonation is just there enough to remind you it's a stout, but is never overwhelming and attributes to the smoothness of this brew.
O - If I could have one of this stout versus all of the others that were tried before it, I would choose this every time. Looking forward to trying the Kentucky Breakfast Stout and Canadian Breakfast Stout when available, which are apparently even BETTER but only available every few years.

3.9/5  rDev -12.8%

I love Founders and do like this beer. It's a good beer to have on a holiday before breakfast. Tulip or goblet is just fine. But I give it a 4 because similar brews like dirty bastard ale and dragon milk beat it. But one thing I love about this beer is the coffee notes tied in with a strong bold alcohol bite and the dark coffee texture that fits perfect during a cold winter. However it tastes more potent than it is so it's missing the smoothness and it's almost priced too high to be considered a 5.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Founders breakfast stout CAN BE one of my favorite beers. I say CAN BE, because it depends where I get it and what batch its from. I've had lousy batches of it and incredible batches. The first time I tried it, which must have been ages ago, I distinctly remember having four glasses- one right after another. It was that good. When Its good, its thick, creamy and soft and has an abundance of coffee flavor. Its bigger beer at 8% but I find it sessionable. While KBS is also a great beer, I tend to enjoy Breakfast stout more. There's just something great about it.

The rumors are true. Truly one of the best brews availible today. Impressed since the first one and I look for it every time I go... Nothing wrong with having one of these for breakfast either...

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

From a bottle into a tulip glass

Dark oily color with 1 finger of dark kaki head. Plenty of sticky lace left on the glass

Smell is dark roasted malts and chocolate with plenty of coffee/espresso. Undertones of vanilla, oats, and maybe even cinnamon give fantastic complexity.

Taste is equally as complex. Actually so good it's hard to drink this a a slow sipper!
Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and even some smoke. Complexity continues to impress as it reaches temp.

Feel is really smooth. Beer coats the entire mouth and flavors last a min before fading. Sweet and heavy with just enough bitterness to make it balanced

4.94/5  rDev +10.5%

-Deeply black; opaque; thick, dark tan head
-Alcohol; roasted malt
-Roasted coffee; a balance of sweet and bitter, without masking either.
-Silky and full-bodied

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: opaque pitch black with a single finger tan head that remains throughout.

Smell: burnt malts and coffee beans.

Taste: very similar to smell. Sweet tasting coffee

Feel: incredibly smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation

Overall: an incredible beer that I will make sure to pick up whenever I can. If you like dark beers and you haven't had this yet, you're missing out.

4.31/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: Tar black with some amber notes around the edge of the glass. sliver of a head with some minimal carbonation.

Smell: Smells great. Coffee, caramel, toffee, nuts, whiskey, roasted malts.

Taste: Strong black coffee, hint of caramel and nuts, somewhat bitter finish. Taste like the perfect breakfast beer. Would be excellent for a morning of camping.

Feel: Good mouth feel. Doesn't feel cheaply made.

Overall: Very good stout, lives up to hype. Would be an excellent pairing with bacon, eggs, and home fries. Let it warm up a bit and the flavors will intensify and reveal notes you hadn't noticed before. Getting Indian spices as well as vanilla and strong maple near the end of this brew. Will buy again at some point. 8/10.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on this one. It was delicious to the last few ounces, without a doubt a world class beer. Chocolate tones and coffee flavored are ever present. Chocolate smell is quite strong and enjoyable.

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color: A touch lighter perhaps than the darkest stouts, but certainly dark. Off-white head.

Smell: I get over-the-top coffee out of the gate; Not much else.

Taste: Like the nose, pretty much coffee and soy sauce to begin. As the pour continues however,
these elements dissipate somewhat and I do begin to pick up on more chocolate and sweet elements;
not a lot, but some.

Feel: Thick, but smooth.

Overall: My initial impression was that this wasn't for me, but as it warmed, I became a tad more
interested. Wouldn't mind revisiting.

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

I've had two 4-packs of the stuff, one from the Founder's "company store" and another from the local grocery story, and I have to say the former was great, the latter was absolutely revolting, though day after day I kept giving it another shot. One that I had was a perfect balance of chocolate, stout, and coffee, and tasted fresh and crisp. The more recent one I drank had strong overtones of this really off flavor. I think the coffee they used for this second yucky batch had gone stale... It's also possible the shelf life isn't so great (maybe the CO2 in carbonation can eventually cause the dissolved coffee to change composition and "go stale"? I'm no expert in this, but it makes sense, C02 will stale beans so maybe...). It's also possible I was tasting tannins from cocoa nibs that had been steeped too long, but the taste and smell was so much like stale coffee, that's my primary hypothesis.

3.93/5  rDev -12.1%

This is a great beer if you love coffe obviously. I am not a huge coffee fan and find the coffee roast a bit too much especially in the taste. I do like the slick mouthfeel from the oatmeal and it is a good pairing with cake or other desserts that go well with coffee

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: tar black with a finger of brown head.

Smell: chocolate, coffee, slight cask barrel, little spice

Taste: coffee, chocolate, slightly bitter finish, but also sweet, cream

Feel: smooth, heavy body, sticky, slight alcohol burn but not negatively at all.

Overall: great tasting stout. If you enjoy black coffee or dark chocolate than this one is a great choice. Goes down easily, and Could drink many.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good Stout. Lots of flavor packed in a sip. Strong coffee flavor with a smooth oaty mouthfeel and sweet chocolate finish. Only with my state sold it in stores, but apparently a baby eating oatmeal is offensive and doesn't belong on a beer bottle...live free or die!!

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Excellent Beer. Had back around Christmas 7 years ago for the first time and drink it in the winter ever since. Excellent beer to have with dessert that is for sure. Be careful or you will gain 20 lbs over the winter like I did/do...Hahahaha

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was a bit disappointed by this beer. It's taste is great, but for a BA score of 99 and "Bros" score of 100, I expected this to be my favorite beer I've ever had. Would have liked a bit more of a coffee taste, but overall very impressed. Definitely a beer I don't think I'd get sick of. The pour was smooth, and the dark color along with the chocolately smell was awesome.

Founders Breakfast Stout is another great beer. I found this beer on draft at Frisco Tap House in Columbia, MD. You must like coffee and dark beer to enjoy this one. Bottoms up!

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%

I always wondered if this thing lived up to the hype that BA brought and the other day for the first time I actually saw it in stores (This being my first September month of being a craft beer drinker).

L - Pitch black/tar color

S - Bitter dark chocolate, assorted spices (couldn't specifically identify), tobacco, heavy coffee nose (duh) and a very inviting sweet finish that surprised me. I was expecting something much darker in flavor considering the color.

T - Creamy mouth, very dominant coffee flavor but not off-putting, a slight bitterness at the end and sticks to the tongue like tar (Never go away please)

F - Wow this things for being 8% ABV and being a Stout, it sure is easy to drink! I almost couldn't believe I was drinking a beer and not just a good cup of joe.

Wow, I am very happy to be joining the Breakfast Stout fan family and this definitely is on my list from today onwards!

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L - Dark black pour with a thick mocha head. Not much lacing.
S - Smell of chocolate during the pour but coffee the rest of the way. Wow, this is nice.
F - Filled my mouth with goodness. Soft and smooth!
T - Follows the smell but more coffee. Very nice.
O - Great beer. Flavorful, tasteful but not overpowering with the coffee. What a nice blend.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company