Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,797 | Ratings: 16,416
4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to clockworkorange for the extra!!

Poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Black, black and more black. Thick oily pour that delivers only a thin whispy lace - not a bad thing since the oat makes it so thick.

Smells initially of coffee followed by delicate chocolate and sweet malts. Very nice! Some vanilla pulls through and there is a slight warming alcohol in the nose. Taste is freshly brewed espresso and chocolate and bitterness that is probably more due to coffee/choc than the hops. The malt background is huge and balances out the coffee flavors nicely. Viscous, thick, and velvety from the oat makes the body very nice.

This brew is better when it has warmed up in my opinion, however torwards the end the coffee notes were getting a bit cloying, which brought the drinkability down for me. This might not be a bad thing, but I drank this at night right before bed and got me racing a touch.

All in all the best coffee stout I have ever had!

Seek and enjoy!

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours a completely used motor oil black into my chalice. A dark tan one finger head is formed, though it does dissipate quickly (but this chalice does that to every beer). Pouring the rest of my bottle in a regular glass confirmed that this beer's head dissipates to a cap. Little lacing.

S: Tobacco, wet coffee grounds, molasses, licorice, roasted malts, cocoa, and a hint of vanilla. The tobacco-coffee ground aroma is a little overly earthy for me.

T: Roasted malt is upfront, then it is balanced by a hint of bittering hops. Molasses, licorice, chocolate, vanilla, and the hint of coffee are also rather dominate flavors. Subtle complexities are overshadowed by the coffee flavor. As usual with coffee stouts, the coffee doesn't taste "fresh brewed".

M: Ever so syrupy yet has a tad of creaminess. More carbonation would bring out a bit more flavor.

D: I can surprisingly drink this rather quickly, it's pretty impressive.

O: A coffee stout lover's dream. Personally, one bottle is enough for me.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours black with a nice dark mocha colored head that leaves quickly but leaves a nice ring of lacing. Coffee smell hits you in the face this is like a cold cup of coffee, the funny thing is I dont like coffee (hot drink) but I love the flavor and smell besides the coffee there is a little chocolate but its very hard to pick up and a slight sweetness form the malt. The taste is great nice punch of coffee like in the nose but the chocolate comes through a lot more and a nice sweetness from the malt to balance out the roasted coffee flavor. It coats my mouth very well but not as viscous as other beers in this style, very little carbonation but again that is very similar to others in this style. Overall this is a great coffee beer if you don't like coffee flavor you will hate this beer. When this beer comes out I always buy at least 2-3 four packs of this every year. Lastly I don't not recommend cellaring this beer the coffee tends to fade pretty quickly after 1 year IMO.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce bottle poured into a DFH signature glass. 2011 version

a: Dark thick black. You can tell it has a lot of body. 1 finger head.

s: huge kick of bittersweet chocolate, coffee. Some vanilla in there.

t: Just like the smell and it does not dissapoint. Roasted coffee comes through first and then the bittersweet chocolate.

m: A very thick stout, but at times it is dangerously drinkable. a little dry from the coffee.

I love this beer. It is not as complex as other imperial stouts, but it has great coffee and chocolate flavors.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz bottle dated 08/02/12 served in a 12oz snifter

A- pours a deep ruby black with mocha head that fades to only rim the glass.

S- Coffee, expresso, dry chocolate

T- strong roasted malts, cold rich coffee, sweet chocolate and bitter hops round out the taste

M-heavy body with light carbonation. Clean dry bitter finish

O- had this beer many times and finally reviewed it. Always a winter favorite and now even more available this year. Fantastic stout.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Thick and dark black. Looks heavy. Tiny khaki head the dissipates quickly. Not a whole lot of lacing and little carbonation present.

S- Coffee forward stout. I've had these after storing away as well as fresh and when fresh, the coffee is noticeably strong in a very good way. Coffee is followed by mocha and cocoa. A good amount of dark roasted malts and a little but if leather in the back.

T- Creamy coffee and chocolate goodness. Tastes just like it smells. Lots of roasted coffee, malts, and oats. Very rich and strong flavor with a nice bite. Leaves the mouth a tad dry and wanting more so the next sip is never too far off.

M- Very thick and full bodied. With that said, there is also a smooth silkiness that makes this stout roll down easy. Leaves a small bite and a little dryness, as good stouts most often do.

O- A true pioneer in the stout category. This was the first mind-blowing stout I tasted and has been a favorite and a staple of mine for many years. Its a great base to compare other stouts to, although 9 times out of 10 they cant compare to this great one. Perfect on a winter's day, near the fireplace, or sipping a nightcap. The only thing to make this any better would be to barrel age it, but thats what KBS is for.

4.11/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I was pretty stoked to find this as I've been on a mission to find the best stout for me... when drinking craft beer everyone's palate is different so try em all.... this is a solid stout the smell is immediately chocolate up front with sutle coffee in the background the taste follows suit with chocolate dark and milk dancing on your tongue then the coffee kicks in and lends a nice bitter.. the mouthfeel is exquisite oh so creamy... now the downside no head and almost no lacing what so ever and the alcohol is not very well hidden which I don't mind but it takes away from the coffee and cocoa nibs bitter finish... so as a whole this is a truly great stout but it hasn't ended my search for the best stout , when buying this don't over hype it like the 100 world class rating has done but be happy in knowing you've chosen a delicious double chocolate stout with a superior mouthfeel and well crafted flavor...I would also recommend north coast's old Rasputin if your new to the stout game... also let a bottle warm on the counter and give it a go stouts become so much more complex as they warm you'll find flavors you've missed when it's cold...

Another great stout from Founders, they really know how to make them. Dark brown, blackish with awesome flavor. Deep and touching to the soul, great blend of coffee and cocoa, simply perfection. The thing I love the most is that it isn't real hard to find all year round.

3.6/5  rDev -19.5%

Ok it pours as dark as motor oil with a deep tan head. It smells and taste of coffee (a STRONG black coffee). It has a smooth swallow but a deep throat aftertaste. For as much as this beer is hyped it is not better than Guinness.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a Michael Jackson snifter back as can be and was really thick. Some head was there at first and was the color of brown sugar. Head reappears if you swirl the glass around and slowly runs back down the inside of the glass. Coffee smell is the first thing that jumps out along with some appetizing roasty and burnt malt smells. Great roast coffee flavor along with a sweetness in the middle of a mocha-ish flavor. There is a light booziness when it warmed up noticeable only in the smell, not taste. Oily mouthfeel and little carbo. Extremely drinkable and complex.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Poured black with a small ligh brown head, but stuck around.

Smells of roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee.

Wonderful smooth, creamy, roasted malt taste. The after taste has a dark chocolate flavor. Has a chewy mouthfeel, and is a very smooth delicious drinkable beer. Surprisingly smooth for the 8.3% ABV.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured dark black, somewhat thick. Did not produce much of a head but left a nice ring around the beer. I can definitely smell the chocolate malts and coffee in this, maybe some vanilla. Starts off with a nice coffee and chocolate flavor and ends with a little hop flavor and bitter coffee. This is very well balanced and deliciously smooth. The outmeal definitely smooths this out and makes it a pretty drinkable breakfast stout.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours thick and black like used motor oil. Leaves a substantial amount of spotty lacing. Tan/brown head that looks quite creamy, but dissipates for the most part within a couple minutes.

S: Big coffee, lots of roasted malt, not too sweet. Bittersweet chocolate is in the background compared to the coffee. Earthy. Really nice.

T: Out of this world flavor. Think of the aroma but much more pronounced. Loads of coffee, I even get that distinctive coffee acidity and bitterness. Bitter chocolate covered espresso bean aftertaste. Beautifully balanced and with loads of flavor. Alcohol is nowhere in sight. The chocolate lingers for a long time.

M: Full. Coasts the mouth extremely well. Feels thick, rich and luxurious. Leaves a nice chocolate layer in my mouth. Soft carbonation. Creamy. Can it get any better?

Wow, this beer is the whole package for me. It looks great, smells great, tastes world class, and has a soft, creamy mouthfeel. This beer never ceases to amaze me how good it really is. I would gladly drink this beer FOR breakfast.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz bottle poured black opaque into a snifter.

A deep inhale gives me smells of coffee, chocolate, cocoa,slight hops, and a caramely malt smell. Perfectly blended smell.

Coffee and chocolate hits me instantly and then some mocha flavors and a small taste of hops. Has a slight oak hint to it and then the oatmeal takes over....then gives way to a maltiness that hides the alcohol very well. Nicely balanced.

Awesome full body of coffee and chocolate....really close to drinking a chocolate milk...which is dangerous considering the high octane of this wonderful beer. This one is up there with dragons milk for me. Really really delicious in my humble opinion.

I could literally drink this beer for breakfast it is that good.

Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Pours as thick as motor oil, leaves about a finger of head which just stays. And offers respectable lacing, now this is the Jessica Alba of Stouts!

Scent: Off the bat I get coffee, and lots of it. I also notice hints of wheat and grain, but the coffee is predominate.

Taste: Again coffee, maybe some chocolate soft notes but not much. I like coffee and I like this beer.

Mouthfeel: It poured like a 10W and drank like a 5W.

Drinkabilty: This is the stout that Guinness should want to be... It is absolutely delish.

3.67/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle. I love almost everything by founders. This stout however is just too hoppy for me. The taste is huge coffee, bitter hops, and roasted malt.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance is thick black and viscous legs with a thin halo of head. Aroma is that of coffee and cocoa. taste is at first coffee and papers. Warms up to taste like malts and oatmeal the name speaks of. Mouthfeel is oily and thick. Overall it OS a good beer but I wish I could get it straight from the tap or on cask.

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally got one of these in a glass. I might of had expectations to high, due to hype and just my love of a good oatmeal stout. Overall, if it was available in Oregon, I'd pick it up sometime, but having had the KBS and Backwoods Bastard....I'd say this is less dynamic. I am fortunate to have a few more, so I will revise if I find that the problem is me.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Got my bottle as a trade with Quasimodo! Thanks!!

Poured vigorously and still produced virtually no head only some slight caramel colored lacing on the edges. Color is deep dark brown, like an espresso.

Smells all coffee-y and chocolate malts. I want to dive right in!

This is very drinkable and the alcohol is just a small bite at the back of the throat. Very delicious. The taste is full of slighty burnt coffee....it's perfect, chocolately malts, slight oatmeal (but none in the nose). This beer is just fantastic.

3.31/5  rDev -26%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Tangfoot, no freshness info.

A: Holy motor oil! Super dark and viscous. Looks like a glass of super dark brown ink. No bubbles, no head, even with a generous pour.

S: Roasted coffee beans. And more coffee beans. And-- you get it.

T: Lots of black coffee (see above). Melds right into hops. I'm looking for something in the middle (malt? chocolate?), and I can't find it. I know there's alcohol in here somewhere but I'll be damned if I can taste it.

M: Slippery smooth. Goes down easy, hops linger. The slight bit of carbonation helps.

D: Well, I certainly don't think I can drink this for breakfast... I think if I enjoyed black coffee I would enjoy this more. Alas...a well-made beer, for sure, just not up my alley.

Apperance: Opaque black motor oil. Thick although not as thick as the Imperial Stout.. Foam is several inches thick (poured at close to 60 degrees) and very dense. It lingers for several minutes, giving way to nice lacing.

Aroma: Dark chocolate and toasted pale malts. Slight sourness of like over-ripe yet very tart cherries or plums. Slight fusel alcohol that develops more as the beer warms.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Strong coffee bitterness. A mild sweetness that is quickly suppressed by the bitterness. Black malts and a slight taste of raw grainy character (maybe from the oatmeal). Carbonation is not as full as the Imperial Stout. Slightly thinner body but very similar carbonation.

Drinkability: Excellent beer. I can't really see having this with or as breakfast however, it would be a nice mid-morning hair of the dog. I can't imagine having more than one in any one week. Its a nice change of pace

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a bottle into my favorite glass about 3 hours after removing it from the fridge. Nice dark brown head on this black colored beer. Average head retention. Smelled coffee first, then chocolate. No real hop aroma. Really didn't care for the first taste, as I prefer a stout with a little less hop character. However, after a few drinks it began to grow on me. I preferred the taste in my mouth to the taste at the back of my tongue while swallowing, which was when the hops really presented themselves. Medium/full body with moderate carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a mug

A: Very dark, with thin dark tan head that dissipates quickly

S: Coffee (a lot of it), dark chocolate, plum/dark fruit

T: Again, a lot of coffee, some chocolate notes, malty sweetness, finishes with a nice bitterness

M: Medium body, not a whole lot of carbonation, a bit slick

D: Given its intense flavor, and its style, all and all I would say its pretty drinkable

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Received this in a great trade with BA 'spacecoyote'. Split it with fellow BA and good friend 'macktbone'. Served into a lowball glass at about 55°F.

Pours a deep dark brown with a dark tan head. Not a whole lot of head retention going on. Minimal lacing. A bit less viscous than I was expecting.

Smells like seriously strong coffee... the kind they serve at all-night diners that cater to truckers. Coffee, and a bit of roasted malt.

The first thing that comes to mind upon the first sip is cold coffee without cream and maybe a single cube of sugar. It toes the line of being an unbalanced beer, but somehow... it just works. What an absolutely delicious brew. There is a hint of dark chocolate and oatmeal, but you almost have to look for it amongst all that coffee.

I didn't think this was as full-bodied as some of the other reviewers, but this may be due to some of the beers I've been drinking lately. Carbonation is right in the middle, and right where it should be. Finish is slightly bitter, much like that cold coffee mentioned earlier. Despite this, drinkability does not suffer at all. I immediately wanted another.

I can see why these fly off the shelves in the areas where they are available. This would probably be one of my 'go-tos' if it were available here in Northern California.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours jet black with thick, creamy, 1/2 finger brown head. Impressive retention. Minimal lacing

S - Coffee jumps out in front. Notes of chocolate, but coffee smell is huge.

T - Sweet taste of chocolate with bitterness of hops, followed by a coffee-like aftertaste. Another flavor that I can't really put a finger on...going to guess oatmeal? Very complex and very interesting. Definitely can taste the alcohol in this one as well.

M - Very lightly carbonated, very creamy.

D - Very good. Incredible taste and smoothness is a great combo...could certainly see this going great as dessert, or even with breakfast as the name suggests.

A great stout, highly recommended - especially if you love the flavor of coffee!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company