Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,686 | Ratings: 15,943

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a large Bordeaux wine glass (similar to a brandy snifter) with a longer stem.

Appearance - dark used motor oil with a coco cream foam ring that dissipates quickly. This is a leggy beer leaving traces of lacy foam on the side of the glass.

Smell - burnt malt, fresh ground coffee beans, caramel, semi sweet chocolate.

Taste: Finest chocolate stout I've ever tasted. Dark chocolatey deliciousness with coffee bean undertones and a hint of caramel and oatmeal. Medium hop finish and aftertaste.

Mouth feel - slightly carbonated, balanced, tickles the tongue with a dry finish.

Overall - This is perhaps the finest stout I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. A great winter-time bear.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

2009 vintage, poured from a bottle & sampled at home - 6/1/2010.

Deep dark brown in color with a thin (at least in my pour) sandy brown head. Smells richly of mocha, more chocolate than coffee. Impressive dark chocolate, roasty malt and smooth coffee bitterness in the flavor. Has a thick, viscous & oily body. Slightly warming on the finish. Truly a wonderful beer & one of my favorites!

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle into snifter

A - deep black with about a finger of dark tan head. S - wonderful chocolate and oatmeal notes. T - awesome, chocolate shines in this one, slight bitter coffee aftertaste, really nice. M - extremely smooth and adequately carbonated.

Fantastic brew. I spend about 95% of my money on APA or IPA's, but I can't turn this one down when I see it at my local.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Pours an oily black with about half an inch of frothy looking head, the color of which is exactly like espresso. Pretty wispy lacing.

S - Big coffee. Like a morning brew ought to smell like.

T - Warm chocolate and java fight for superiority. First the coffee, then surprisingly sweet, not to bitter chocolate, then coffee again. Creamy oatmeal texture throughout. Simply amazing.

M - Creamy, and it had me smacking my lips a lot. Definitely has some presence.

O - If I could, I would drink this whenever I could or maybe even continuously without stopping. The best stout I have ever had. End of story.

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Black with a cafe au lait head of about an inch. Smells of rich dark chocolate and coffee. Slightly sweet but tart molasses up front followed by waves of bitter dark chocolate and hints of coffee. Oatmeal comes through on the chewy, full mouth feel. An awesome beer. So much better than the RIS because it isn't nearly as sweet. Too bad the coffee wires me or I would drink this every night.

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle Served in Snifter

Appearance: very dark, black, no light goes through the glass. Surprisingly has a thin brownish head, but that may be due to how it was poured.

Aroma: dark roasted malts, sweet chocolate, sweet dark roasted coffee. It has a balanced aroma you get both the bitterness of the malt and the spices and the sweetness of the coffee and the chocolate. The biggest aroma would have to be the dark chocolate.

Taste: bitter on the front end and the complexity of the beer changes in the middle leaving you with a sweet wet finish. The chocolate definitely cuts through towards the end. The spices are the first thing to hit the palate. It's not really bitter but its not really sweet. I can't taste the alcohol at all.

Mouthfeel: Its moderate for a stout. It's not really thick, which is what I expected, but it still is syrupy. leaves a sweet wet finish.

Overall: This is a great Imperial stout. Definitely not what I expected, I guess I had a pre conceived notion on how this beer would taste. Honestly, It's nothing special. It goes down fairly smooth and it doesn't have a chocolate/coffee explosion, but it does have a unique taste. I would definitely buy this again. I will take some time to drink it again and re-review it since my sinus aren't up to par, this re-view may be a little biased since I cant taste the full effect.

3.64/5  rDev -18.6%

This beer didn't match the hype for me. You HAVE to drink it warmer or you won't be able to get much of the flavors. The oatmeal presence was strong and but much of the other flavors were extremely muted. For an 8% beer I think they could've packed more flavor here. Good stout but didn't match the hype

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Thick and dark black. Looks heavy. Tiny khaki head the dissipates quickly. Not a whole lot of lacing and little carbonation present.

S- Coffee forward stout. I've had these after storing away as well as fresh and when fresh, the coffee is noticeably strong in a very good way. Coffee is followed by mocha and cocoa. A good amount of dark roasted malts and a little but if leather in the back.

T- Creamy coffee and chocolate goodness. Tastes just like it smells. Lots of roasted coffee, malts, and oats. Very rich and strong flavor with a nice bite. Leaves the mouth a tad dry and wanting more so the next sip is never too far off.

M- Very thick and full bodied. With that said, there is also a smooth silkiness that makes this stout roll down easy. Leaves a small bite and a little dryness, as good stouts most often do.

O- A true pioneer in the stout category. This was the first mind-blowing stout I tasted and has been a favorite and a staple of mine for many years. Its a great base to compare other stouts to, although 9 times out of 10 they cant compare to this great one. Perfect on a winter's day, near the fireplace, or sipping a nightcap. The only thing to make this any better would be to barrel age it, but thats what KBS is for.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pallet notes of rich coffee with dark chocolate slowly making an appearance. Delicious oatmeal coming into play well after the swallow. All in all a very good beer. Recommend!

2.78/5  rDev -37.8%

The pour is nearly black with a head that looks like a cola (thin ring around the edge of the glass). There is a bit of a roasted malt, maybe oatmeal, smell but it is subtle. The taste starts oatmeal, goes to a roasted dark chocolate bar, peaks briefly with a bit of alcohol, with a long roasted chocolate finish. The feel is thick, but doesn't coat; it is smooth, but not nitro smooth. I've tried this a few times now and it just doesn't float my boat. The FBS is just a little too middle of the road for me. It is definitely more subtle than the Young's Chocolate Stout, but if you are to make a chocolate stout, I say make a chocolate stout!

3.93/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Sum more than the parts on this one. Interesting aroma consisting of jalapeños and coffee. Perfect medium to heavy mouthfeel with a chocolate and spicy finish. The alcohol is hidden in the finish.

4.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours black, with a hazy, coffee-colored one and a half inch, dense foam head. The head only lasted a couple of minutes before fading to a trace on the glass and very light skim on my beer. Very appealing.

Smell is coffee with hints of chocolate, smoke and fruit. Taste is very nice....chocolate, oatmeal, coffee, wood? Mouthfeel is fairly thick but pleasing. It leaves a nice coating on the tongue, even after the finish.

Drinkability is nice. I'll have to continue with this one and perhaps a second, just to make sure I haven't made any mistakes. ;-)

A- Next to black with a dark tan head. Almost impossible to see through. Uh-mazing.

S- Dark chocolate, like the kind my friends brought back from Germany. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, oats, almost chocolate milkshake-like. So, so inviting.

T- Everything in the nose plus more. So much that my tongue can't even decipher them all. A bit of an alcohol kick in the end. Unbelievable.

M- Thick, with a perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is hearty enough that it could be breakfast in and of itself. And I don't mean a bowl of Cheerios in the morning. This is hearty like biscuits and gravy, an omelet, bacon, sausage, toast, a muffin, cornbread, quiche, orange juice, and a big glass of milk. A beer that truly lives up to its name.

D- What else can I say? I can't believe I'm giving this all 5's, but I honestly can't find a single thing that could improve with this beer. This is definitely the best stout I've ever tried, if not the best beer. Excellent.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Jet black with a small dark-brown head that sticks around a little. The aroma is pretty much all coffee with touches of sweet malt and a daaaash of chocolate. The flavor is way upfront coffee with dark chocolate notes garnished with the delicious sweet and sour malty notes we all know to be a high-gravity stout! The luscious creamy mouthfeel is just the icing on the... oatmeal!

4.21/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a viscous black and creates a textbook appearance for the style. Nice 1 inch vanilla and mocha head with some carbonation visible. Smell is of coffee and chocolate, as well as dark roasted malts. Up front the taste is coffee followed by a large dose of roasted malt. It is drinkable for a bigger stout and just incredibly well done. Complex and almost perfectly blended. A go to for sure. I would like to see this beer at 9%abv though.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Traded some Pliny for the chance to try these.

A: Dark dark brown, pours kinda of creamy. Little bit of foam when poured by I wouldn't say it had any head though. Small amount of lacing.

S: Strong, Dark Barley, Maple

T: Coffee is more subtle than I was expecting which was nice. Malty at first giving way to the chocolate and coffee flavor later. Really complex flavor as I let it sit and as a swallow.

M: Not as Creamy as the pour suggested. Smooth

O: Great beer, I would regularly drink it if it was local don't think I'll be trading for more right away though.

3.06/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Dark brown coloring with tan-colored head.

S: All coffee on the nose

T: Coffee is definitely the primary flavor here. Also, this is a bit too sweet for my liking.

M: Average

D: I honestly was shocked that I did not care too much for this beer. Everyone on this site has such a hard-on for FBS, I was expecting to love it as well. I love oatmeal and imperial stouts, but this just did not measure up for me.

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%

Dark. Tastes like coffee that's been in the sun for too long then washed with bourbon and hops. Really dark and very bitter. Should wake you up. Not as good as KBS, imo. Just too dark and not enough complexity. I want more than dark tastes and textures. Yeah I know everyone loves this beer.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

I have liked all brews from Founders so I decided to give this one a go.

Pours into a dark brown/black color with a brown head that slithers down the side of the glass and is almost paper thin.

Has a really good smell, mocha chocolate bombards your nose.

Tastes of mocha chocolate hints of oatmeal.

Has a nice mouthfeel, med to med/light. Goes down smooth like all Founders beverages.

Has a really nice drinkability at 8.3% don't know how many I would have but I could easily put a few down.

I would highly recomend this stout, def. tasty.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter
Appears opaque black with a short mocha head. Head recedes quickly but leaves plenty of lacing.

Smells delicious. Burnt and earthy coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt and flaked oats.

Taste follows the nose. Earthy and burnt coffee up front, semisweet chocolate and roast malt in the middle and some lightly burnt grain flavors in the finish, bitterness is mild. No alcohol presence.

Full bodied, low carbonation. Creamy texture that coats with mouth with a mild lingering bitterness.

Extremely well balanced and enjoyable. It is evident that this was finely crafted.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz bottle dated 9/22/11 opened on 10/7/11 and poured into a Founders pint glass. Served at 55 degrees.

A- Pour yields 2 inch mocha head that sticks around for a while. After the head has finally come down a little, thick lacing remains as a reminder. The beer, itself, is jet black and looked like syrup when poured out of the bottle. No light is gonna pass through this one.

S- Oh man, I could smell this one as soon as I opened it. Lots lots lots of coffee and chocolate. The smell is just intoxicating.

T- The taste is amazing here. Coffee and chocolate beyond belief. Very nice bitterness, but it's still very sweet. Same with the aftertaste: slightly bitter, but it begs you to come back for more. Tastes just like an iced coffee.

M- Full bodied and creamy. The taste just coats the palate. No alcohol flavor. Amazing.

O- Certainly a favorite. While it isn't complex, this beer does everything right. It's very much like Speedway Stout in that matter: doesn't do anything revolutionary, but everything it does is done perfectly. Could I drink this for breakfast? Hell yes. The beer has no alcohol flavor, tons of coffee and chocolate aroma and taste, is affordable, and goes down frighteningly easy. What a beer.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

Had on tap at Overwood in Old Town Alexandria, VA

A: As expected absolutely black, with a one-finger tan had that quickly dissipated
S: Some nice mocha aromas with some hoppiness but not a lot
T: Heavy roasted coffee tones - some bitterness to start, increasingly bitter as the beer warmed up
M: Heavy and thick
O: Overall a very good beer that I would have again

Easy to find and reasonably priced unlike 3 Floyds here. Grocery stores have it even. Pours a dark coffee color with excellent lacing. Most times will just drink it from the bottle and drink it fast as I cannot get enough. Tastes like excellent coffee, and dark chocolate (slight toffee and caramel notes with a little oatmeal). Predominately coffee and chocolate. I honestly could drink this when I wake up! Have to say this is one of the best beers I have ever had.

Frankly this is the cat's meow, the shizzle for my nizzle, or a like a great lay. Usually I will drink one to two of these beers at a time always wanting to drink more of it. Once and only once did I drink four in rapid succession going into the City of Chicago on Metra (yes they let you drink on the train which is strange since I am from Indiana and even though I left that state 15 years ago I still feel like I might get arrested for drinking on Metra it just still feels strange). After four of these beers I felt absolutely fantastic. My buzz or drunken haze was perfect. My burps were chocolate and coffee notes and a wonderful full feeling as if I had a great meal when I did't eat much that day. It also isn't overly filling for a Stout. This is probably one of the best beers made by anyone, and that I have had or will have (I just cannot say anything about his beer is wrong. It's liquid courage or a complete diet.

My father who never really drank in 72 years of life, who I have only seen drunk 2 times (with one large Sapporo in Las Vegas (the first time) and a strong Irish Coffee the second time (I am 42 and I have only seem drink a handful of times) drank this beer in 5 minutes and immediately wanted more. He was begging me to find out where to buy this and immediately ran out and bought some. Mind you this is a person who rarely if ever drinks. This beer is what ever Stout strives to be or should be it is that good.

A PERFECT SCORE indeed and the only perfect five I have given!

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

My first 12oz. of this beer ( a couple days ago) left me somewhat disappointed. 'Am I missing something?" I wondered. I very nearly dreaded drinking the other three. This afternoon, after a few other, less in-your-face beers, I decided to approach this one again. The mouthfeel is the stand-out feature of this beer. Incredibly thick and satisfying to drink. Upon my first tasting, I found the coffee elements to be too assertive, and the bitterness factor a bit high. It tastes like a different brew now (though from the same six-pack). Had I rated it, I wouldn't have done it justice. I would highly reccomend building up to this one in a session rather than beginning with. Despite the name, this beer would be much too much for me in the morning - though I do percieve (and appreciate) the coffee element.

4.56/5  rDev +2%

All I can say is this is an amazing beer. Luckly I live in Michigan and has access to this one.

Appearance, black hole like with a tan head, perfect!

Smell, fantastic coffee smell, like fresh expresso, would love to have a bit of the other flavors stand out a bit more.

Taste, fantastic coffee in this beer, bitter and roasted, however I would like a bit more of the chocolate notes to come thorugh.

Mouthfeel is perfect in this beer, thick and creamy.

Drnkability is perfect, for such a strong beer (8.3%) you would never know as it is just so perfectly balanced.

Overall, probably the best non-barrel aged stout I have had, to me this is the standard to which I judge all others against. The only drawback is this one should be drank fresh, and is not a great candidate to age in your cellar IMO.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company