Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#129

Ratings: 17,192 |  Reviews: 3,947

4.37/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not many beers ive had are as good as this. It starts as a fresh dark coffee taste and develops into a delicious mocha coffee flavor. The aftertaste is a perfect balance of coffee and chocolate to keep your taste buds wanting more. This beer has a delicious coffee/chocolate smell and and beautiful black color. If you havent tried this beer yet, you are missing out!

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a bit thinner than some of the other stouts I enjoy, but aside from that really well made. Rich chocolate flavors more prominent than the oatmeal to me.

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

I've had this many times but I felt compelled to review it when I recently happened upon a case.

Poured deep black with a thin layer of brown head that cascaded just a bit. Minimal lacing on the glass. Smelled strongly of mocha with a hint of fruity sweetness. Tasted chocolately sweet with a large dose of coffee bitterness. Didn't have a very heavy mouthfeel- a little watery with little carbonation. Bitter finish with a slight lingering sweetness.

This may be one of the shortest reviews I've written, but it's simply too good for words. IMO, a perfect beer in a style that I consider to be my favorite. This is a must-drink if you're into stouts and I have yet to meet someone who doesn't think FBS is incredible. Well done, Founders!

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Doing a side by side with Terrapins Wake and Bake.Poured into a Founders snifter,I let this sit out about 20 minutes before I cracked it.I definately think it takes alot away if it's to cold.

A. Black no light through this one at all,1 finger light tan head that dissapates rather quickly.Leaves no lacing on my glass.Carbonation is decent with agressive pour but leaves quickly.

S. Coffee bomb! Tons of coffee that fills the nose,also lots of milk chocolate after the extreme coffee. Getting some oats in the back,I don't get much more in this one.

T. What you smell is what you get here. Spot on with the smell,lots of coffee,chocolate,oats and some biterness in the end.Alchohol is very well hidden.

M. Nice medium feel very smooth,nice semi heavy feel on the tounge,little carbonation stings the pallet.

Overall I love this beer! It's one of my favorite easy abtained beers.I just can't get enough of the over the top coffee and chocolate in this.I will say between the two,Breakfast stout and Wake and bake,Both the two best I have tried in there class, Founders is the one I prefer.I recommend doing the side by side if you can.

3.57/5  rDev -20.8%

Served out of four-pack bottle, Wilbraham, Massachusetts.

A - Impenetrable black with a slim toffee head.f

S - chocolate and coffee - exactly what's in it

T - sweet, definite taste of coffee and chocolate

M - thick, porridge-like

O - This is a very good beer, no doubt, but I fear that a bit of group-think has taken over on this one. A very clever marketing campaign seems to have overwhelmed people's sensibilities, if not the 8%+ alcohol content. Bottom line: I enjoyed it, I'll drink it again for sure, but perhaps it's not quite the apotheosis of brewing that some make it to be. For an all-around great stout that's also world class and a bit more affordable, try Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

4.39/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Pours an opaque jet black color with about a half-finger of creamy tan head that fades away after a short while. No lacing.

S: Coffee, chocolate and oats all come through nice and strong. Not a hint of alcohol on the nose.

T: Coffee comes out strongly up front, followed by some weaker chocolate notes afterward. The finish is just like black coffee. While the oats don't come through as strongly, they help to round out the other flavors. Not a hint of alcohol comes through here, either.

M: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth with a bit of carbonation. Couldn't ask much more of a stout.

D: This beer is exceptionally easy to drink, especially considering the ABV. I think the coffee flavor is a bit overpowering, but for people who drink black coffee every day, this would be a real treat.

3.87/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

From a bottle into a stemmed stout glass.

Looks like a Stout, extremely dark, half a finger of head, dissipating quickly, but leaving some light lacing.

Not strong smelling, compared to the taste. Taste of bitter coffee, and unsweetened chocolate. I don't really like coffee. It's bold and extreme. I would never order a second one.

Mouth-feel is fine.
I don't really understand the ultra high rating.

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company