Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#91

Ratings: 17,041 |  Reviews: 3,919

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance- Jet black color. Thin beige head, looks like frothy chocolate milk bubbles.

Smell- Mocha, coffee, toffee, milk chocolate.

Taste- Milk chocolate and peanuts, tiny bit of alcohol. After taste is a bitter coffee taste with lingering mocha sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Light carbonation. Fills your mouth up with a warm alcohol taste that is gone as fast as it arrived, replaced with smooth and creamy chocolate.

Overall- I was ready to be disappointed given all the hype around this beer. After tasting it I am happy to say that the hype was totally validated. I'm not a big stout drinker, but this is just a terrific beer. It's like chocolate milk for grown men!

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I won't go into too much depth on this beer because its all been said before. IMO, this is the quintessential easily available Stout on the market today. It pours quickly with very little head, but what is there has a nice coffee color. Huge coffe and chocolate influence in all aspects of this rich, yet easy to drink beer. I love taking a big whiff of it as I toss it back. Dark as night and slick going down. No hint of the high ABV. Not as earthy as it could be, but still so hearty. I can drink one after another and keep going back for more. This one of those highly ranked beers that really delivers everytime. I've spent the last couple of months drinking highly rated stout after stout. And, everytime I always think about how good the Breakfast Stout is in comparison. I wonder how these taste with a little age on it. Can't wait to find out.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my first time trying this beer, I must start by saying that I don't drink too many stouts, let alone coffee stouts. This is actually an extremely drinkable rep of this style. Dark roasted kona is definitely up front in the aroma and taste, I don't really get much chocolate at first, but as this beer warms a litte! Whoa! Huge mocha flavor just turns on and it gets a lot more complex. I do love love the fact that there is not a bitter after taste that most other coffee infused stouts seem to come with. Much thanks to mpayne5 and Nuckbuck for the hook-up! This little gem is making me rethink my whole attitude on coffee stouts for sure. Overall a solid stout, I would highly recommend this to everybody.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Extremely dark brown. Great dark, golden brown head that lasts an acceptable amount of time.

Smell: Strong coffee flavors initially, then chocolate aromas dominate. I would like more oats in the smell, but do notice a slight amount.

Taste: Strong java/coffee flavors. Excellent bitter, dark chocolate finish. Very smooth and desirable for being 8.30% ABV. Lacks any alcoholic taste.

Overall: One of the best beers I have had. I would drink it with any type of meal, or even as a dessert. Very easy to drink and doesn't leave any undesirable aftertaste. Each sip leaves you wanting another.

3.42/5  rDev -24.2%

My initial impression of this beer is "aggressive". It has a big mouthfeel, Big scent and BIG taste.

Very well balanced for the ABV but much too rich to be sessionable.

This is certainly a beer you can have only one of before it becomes too much.

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company