Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

4.51/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 16,570 |  Reviews: 3,818

3.19/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I was ready for this one. As famous as it is, I tried to manage my expectations and not hold the bar too high. I believe I did so, but was still very disappointed.

Although it's not my favorite style, I have had a number of stouts, including Old Rasputin, which is in my 10 favorite beers.

Poured this from a bottle into a pint glass.

Here we go, the controversial opinion begins:

A - brown one-and-half finger head, solid black. Looks like a stout.

S - stale coffee. maybe a coffee flavored pastry.

T - Day-old strong coffee, but not quite as bitter as coffee. A bit one-noted on the taste to be honest. I searched and searched for other flavors. Absolutely no chocolate flavor like the bottle says, a mild breadiness that might be reminiscent of a bland oatmeal and coffee breakfast. You wouldn't know there's any alcohol in here.

M - Low carbonation, too low. Feels like coffee. Leaves a stickyness on the lips and back of throat like oatmeal does.

Overall - Disappointment. This beer is very one-noted. Coffee, that's mainly all I taste.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.94/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours black with a dense, tan colored head. Good head at pour and lingers well. Minimal lacing on this thick beer. Aroma is sweet, coffee, and chocolate. Taste brings the same characteristics - starts with strong coffee flavor and finishes with a sweet chocolate and slightly hopped finish. Great balance on all dimensions.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a pint glass.
Appears very dark black, almost so it would be against Dr orders. Nice carmel colored head that stuck around edges and laced thin but well.
Smell is almost as smooth as it tastes! Maybe my sniffers off but I love the coffee/chocolate goodness but I didn't get the oats. Maybe that is what's so special about this delectable delight!
Taste has the chocolate and coffee but blends it so well that above the hype, this beer is real deal and so smooth for 8.3%! Leaves a remarkable flavor that doesn't get you lapping like a dog but Damn near.
Mouthfeel is sharp upfront and smooth to seal the deal.
Overall my feeling is I will have many of these in my future as long and Carnivores keeps these in the 6pack mix n match special for 15$

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company