Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,545 |  Reviews: 3,815
4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

A: Very thick looking when pouring it, couldn't see any light coming through when I held it up. Black in color with a nice mocha colored foamy head also a good amount of carbonation.

S: I get some nice aromas here: dark chocolate, that smell you get when you sniff some south american coffee beans like a citrusy coffee smell, a slight toasted oat smell as well

T: Nice coffee bitterness and taste that blends very well with the toasted oats and some chocolate in the background. I can barely taste the alcohol.

M: I'd say its on the heavier side of medium bodied. It is thick and coats the mouth but it feels light. Very smooth and just a very small hint of bitterness.

O:This beer is great and very much worthy of the rating it gets. It's flavors are very well blended. It has all the great qualities of a stout and none of the negative ones. I barely tasted the alcohol which is dangerous for this beer because it is very tasty. This is definitely a beer to be savored.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%

Almost equal to the KBS in my book b/c I've never been a huge bourbon fan...however, I love them both and with some nice ice cream, it's a mouth treat...I used to say "no coffee" in my beer as I've never tasted coffee...but this is too good and well made...I love stouts, and this has body, texture, depth, and pleasant long lasting aftertaste that I appreciate.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Recently, a close friend of mine, also a fellow beer admirer, bought me two four packs of Founders Breakfast Stout. To say the least, I was surprised and absolutely amazed that this rare stout had fallen right into my lap.

At first glimmer, the stout portrays a certain coffee-like appearance with a medium-sized head. However, I cannot stop there for this stout holds much more to its appearance than meets the eye. The head is not clean and it's as if the kona coffee brewed into the mix has diluted the stout. That's not all; held up to the light, one can see zero transparency, a darkness is held within of which I have never seen in any other stout. With such a thick and dark body, it's a mystery of what is contained in the depths of a properly poured double chocolate stout just by appearance.

It's obvious at first that this special brew is somewhat dominated by the aroma of the coffee blend. However, a deeper smell reveals the chocolate and oatmeal blended in as well. You can sense the dark aroma instantly and is apparent by the immediate aroma of its ABV (8.4%).

As with most stouts and lighter brews alike, the taste reveals what the sight and scent did not. At first, the sight of the brew was very intimidating. I had felt that enjoying a stout as a primarily IPA driven consumer would be tough, especially with all the high expectations of this being one of the best out there. Least to say, the sight of the stout as well as the smell of it did not live up to the taste.

With a full body and peak taste, Founders Breakfast Stout is by far the best stout I have had to date. I've had my fair share of stouts and really, nothing can prepare. A triple chocolate stout here, a fellow breakfast stout there. The Breakfast Stout by Founders takes the chocolate cake.

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been wanting to try this one for quite some time, now that I've found a place that has it, it gives me great joy to be able to finally have this.
Poured from a 12 oz bottle:

A: This one pours a motor oil black with a thin rich mocha coloured head. The head retained for a bit, although there was no lacing to be found. Despite this the sight of the beer is definitely appetizing.

S: Aroma of roasted malt and coffee dominate. I get a bit of the chocolate and some subtle notes of cinnamon as it warmed

T: Absolutely delicious. This beer is pretty much all you could want from a breakfast stout. Roasted malt and rich coffee follow along with the smell. Long finish of coffee and dark chocolate, which was pleasantly bitter.

M: Remains medium bodied despite the full range of flavours. This beer is rather smooth and creamy for all that it brings to the palette.

O: This is certainly one of my favorite stouts I've had so far. A point of advice, do make sure you enjoy the beer over time, the flavours definitely come out a bit more as it warms. I'll be definitely picking some extra up before it's all gone.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

A-pours black with a dark tan fingerwdith head with excellent retention
S-roasted coffee and chocolate
T-complex coffee and chocolate leaving a rich aftertaste of milk chocolate and more roasted coffee
M-full bodied creamy and rich
O-great balance and complexity, body is rich and creamy yet very drinkable. Absolutely fantastic beer

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

2011 vintage. 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a thick opaque black like used motor oil. Really no head at all and just a thin ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma of is rich coffee and chocolate like a cappuccino. Some roasted character along with caramel and toffee. Also a touch of vanilla; a very inviting aroma.

The flavor is even better. Coffee and caramel up front along with a hint of whipped cream and brown sugar. Some espresso roast and bitterness compliments the sweetness perfectly. Some vanilla and maple syrup comes in but everything leads to a moderately dry, coffee-like finish. Mouthfeel is full and slick but it is never too sweet.

Overall, an absolutely world-class beer. So full of flavor and extremely drinkable. I really wish I would have gotten more than just a four pack and I need to try to get some more of this while I can.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%