Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

4.51/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 16,578 |  Reviews: 3,819
4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

2011 vintage. 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Pours a thick opaque black like used motor oil. Really no head at all and just a thin ring around the top of the beer.

Aroma of is rich coffee and chocolate like a cappuccino. Some roasted character along with caramel and toffee. Also a touch of vanilla; a very inviting aroma.

The flavor is even better. Coffee and caramel up front along with a hint of whipped cream and brown sugar. Some espresso roast and bitterness compliments the sweetness perfectly. Some vanilla and maple syrup comes in but everything leads to a moderately dry, coffee-like finish. Mouthfeel is full and slick but it is never too sweet.

Overall, an absolutely world-class beer. So full of flavor and extremely drinkable. I really wish I would have gotten more than just a four pack and I need to try to get some more of this while I can.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Wow. I normally "meh" coffee beers, but this coffee beer is no coffee beer. It's awesome. Crazy complex coffee and chocolate flavors complement an 8% abv beer that'd make you punch your own mother in the mouth if the bitch dared utter a bad word against this beer. Seriously, it's pretty tasty.

3.5/5  rDev -22.4%

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

A – black. Can’t see through it at all. 1 finger tan head upon pour that fades very quickly to a thin almost non-existent film (that eventually turns to nothing). Absolutely no lacing to be found on the side of the class
S – smells like coffee beans and espresso. Can definitely smell the chocolate malts used in this brew. Some scent very reminiscent of a milk stout lingers in the background.
T – The first time I had this a month or so ago I really didn’t like it…I’m not sure why. I’ve started to drink a lot more stouts lately and have really learned to appreciate what they bring to the table. Sweet chocolate hits the tongue at first and fades into espresso bitterness. Tastes like a smoky and sweet roast. A bitter taste lingers like baking chocolate. Alcohol taste completely hidden.
M – very low carbonation with a smooth silky feel. I like the feel of this beer
O – Glad I decided to save some of this to drink later. I really didn’t like it at first and now have grown to appreciate it. Well down Founders! I guess I am spoiled…while some people seek this out, I think I know 5-10 places within a quick drive of my house where I can just go and buy it. Might pick up an extra 4pack before all the places around me dry up to save for next year. Overall, really good but I think just a little overhyped

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: It pours a dense black with a smooth brown head that disappeared somewhat quickly for an oatmeal stout.

Smell: The maltiness of the aroma was delicious on its own. Of course there was a strong presence of chocolate and coffee.

Taste: An excellent, complex taste that more than lived up to the aroma of the beer. Roasted malt, chocolate, and caramel flavors all supported the overall espresso flavor that dominated.

Mouthfeel: As smooth as a stout should be.

Overall: A great beer, even if it had been a little over-hyped to me.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Edited:

Revisited this beer since my initial poor review a few years back. I must admit it was initially a shock to the palate. It was my first coffee stout and really my first non- dry Irish stout. I really have come around to enjoy this beer more and more every year. It is superb!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company