Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#90

Ratings: 16,694 |  Reviews: 3,847
4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Had a pint on draft at the Landmark 1850 Inn in Milwaukee.

Appearance -- Pure black with a thick, creamy, khaki two finger head. Head lasted for quite a while. Very nice to look at.

Smell -- Very inviting chocolate and coffee. The smell is very reminiscent of breakfast. It gets intense as the stout warms.

Taste -- The taste changed for me with each sip. Taste went back and forth between bitter chocolate and a strong coffee flavor. Complex to say the least. Warming alcohol is also apparent but by no means overwhelming.

Mouthfeel -- Thick and creamy. Very dense. I'm reminded of oatmeal or some kind of warm cereal.

Drinkability -- I could do one or two at a time. The flavor is quite rich. The higher ABV is also masked well so if you were to have a few I'm sure it would catch up fast.

One I'll seek out again, but not at a bar. I prefer a bottle over draft.

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle, no dates.

Opaque inky black. Pours & looks like used motor oil. Dense tan coloured head. Thin sheet of lace left on the glass.

Rich dark chocolate aromas swirl with medium roast coffee. What am I doing still smelling this?

A rich blend of coffee, dark & bittersweet chocolate, along with some dark fruits. Some astringent flavours work their way in from the roast. Citrus & leafy hop flavours bring it home, becoming more pronounced as it warms, without ever being overbearing. Thick & velvety smooth, easy carbonation. Fabu!

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

While I really enjoyed this brew, the numbers somehow belie my personal thoughts. Maybe it isn't quite the perfect beer I thought it was, but it s SO very good, all the same.

Darker than a thunderstorm night in the backwoods camping. Amazing blend of coffee - you can smell more than one type of coffee I think, and then bittersweet chocolate in the nose of this one.

Flavors of both coffee and roasted malts mix together with chocolate for an amazing, intriguing touch. The coffee comes through two, maybe three times, distinctly, in a sip, almost as if you are swirling coffee and roasty, oatmeal stout in your mouth together.

I have to say the mouthfeel is amazing - slides right down the throat with VERY little resistance - mental or physical. I could happily drink a few of these gems in an evening.

One of my favorite stouts, and certainly one of the best flavor blends ever.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to malty for this one...never makes it to my neck of the woods. Good 'ol cmaruschak supplied me with one earlier which I shared and did not review...can't forget the great traders out there.
Pours a dense black w/ a half finger of dark cocoa head that sticks around for most of the duration...thick lacing forms on the side of the snifter glass.
The smell is robust coffee up front, some more coffee and dark italian chocolate. A gentle sweetness finishes in the nose w/ even a bit of green hops.
Taste is one strong cup of mocha java...not overly sweet and a subtle bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden, but a magnificent warming overcomes the body as I work my way through this offering.
Mouthfeel is quite thick and the carbonation is contained and fantastic.
I could enjoy a number of these on a cold evening such as this...simply great.

4.24/5  rDev -6%

wow, what a beautiful pour, black as night with a thick taupe colored head that does not dissipate.

aroma is dark coffee with alcohol and a hint of chocolate.

taste is a chocolate explosion - rich dark chocolate accented by deep coffee, a nice touch of bitterness and then more chocolate. maybe the most complex beer I've ever tasted.

mouthfeel is absolutely perfect - smooth, creamy, low carbonation, everything I'd want from a stout.

This is a very fun beer, i will definitely be buying this again.

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

A world class beer. By far one of the best brews I have ever had, and easily the best oatmeal stout. Poured out to a pitch black color that had the consistancy of motor oil. Very thick pour and a high viscosity. A thin layer of mocha colored foam covered the top of the beer, but overall this brew had a rather low carbonation level. Aromas of heavenly malt, coffee, chocolate, earth, smoke, wood and toffee made my mouth water in anticipation of this liquid treat. Taste was phenominal; truely amazing flavors of coffee, oats, chocolate, toffee, malt and earth blend perfectly. Mouthfeel was great; very thick and chewy, like a liquid granola bar. Near exceptional drinkabiliy, I think I could have this nearly everyday and never get tired of it. This is one of the best beers I have ever had. I can't wait to get more. World Class, and highly recommended.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

appearance: The pour into the snifter creates a dark brown head that is not very thick, but dissipates very slowly, leaving a generous ring of bubbles around the side of the glass. The nice looking head is easily recreated with a few simple swirls of the glass. For all intents and purposes, this beer is black, save for a little dark brown coming through on the edges. Some lacing is left behind on the walls of the glass.

smell: The first smells I notice are espresso and dark and bittersweet chocolates. Smells very similar to the espresso-chocolate chip cookies I buy at the local grocery. The espresso smell is impressive and pervasive; I want to say that it is cloying, but for some reason cannot. Some smoky aromas are evident, as expected with the amount of roasted malt used in this beer. The level of sweetness is just right. I can pick out the hop aromas with some careful smelling, and they are present in the perfect amounts. Practically no ethanol whatsoever is noticeable, at least until my hand around the snifter warms the beer above room temperature.

mouthfeel: Carbonation is a low medium, and the body a high medium in thickness.

taste: On the nose, the coffee bean aroma I detected was espresso. On the tongue, though I still get some espresso, regular dark roast coffee is what I really notice. The chocolate is there, but it is hard to pin down, probably dark chocolate, but also some milk. Sweet and bitter, chocolatey and coffee...coffeey? Slight astringency. The finish is composed of lingering dark roasted coffee flavors and a mild hop bitterness, both of which persist for quite awhile. I would like to score the taste a little higher, but the coffee is a little overplayed for my taste.

drinkability: Tasty enough and easy drinking enough to have a few, but not more than, say, four. Though I cannot really smell nor taste the alcohol, I can definately feel it.

I took the beer out of the cellar-fridge about thirty minutes before opening, and drank most of it at room temperature. Thanks dirtylou for the four pack, delivered to my abode. The beers sat in my cellar-fridge for about three months before I had the nerve to crack the first beer of the four pack.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Twelve ounce bottle served at room temperature into a pub glass.

Appearance: Poured a very black with a towering coffee colored foamy head.

Smell: Smells of coffee, chocolate and malty goodness with a slight acidic tone.

Taste: This one has a very heavy chocolate and espresso taste nice roasted maltyness with good hoppy acidic taste.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a good and chewy stout and surprise of surprises it lives up to all the hype. This is easily one of my favorite new beers I have tried this year.

Pours deep, rich brown with some tan foam and a bit of lacing.

Smell is a cacophony of bright, acidic coffee, chocolate, oatmeal. Somewhat fruity and nearly indescribable, other than to say: good.

Taste lives up to the delicious smell. Rich, malty carbs support sweet cream coffee flavors. Ends with a perfectly slight bitter bite.

Gummy, thick mouthfeel.

Big huge and surprisingly drinkable. I could most definitely drink this all of the time. Wow.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Received in a BIF from feloniousmonk...thanks again...

I think the room got darker when I poured this beer out. So...body is the color of burnt motor oil. Head was about 1/2" thick on the pour: dark chocolate milk in color. Slowly reduced to a think bubble layer.

Aroma is semi sweet chocolate with strong overtones of alcohol. A nice concotion of dark coffee with some toffee, fudge flavors swirled in. Alcohol is a bit stronger than expected but offers some additional complexity with the dark fruit aromas which I usually associated with higher abv stouts.

A near-perfect blend of all of the components which went into it. Individual flavors associated with chocolate can be picked up initially. Then a dark coffee comes through. The oatmeal is present in the "dryer" taste which works to meld the chocolate and coffee together. Also has a bit of a lactic/milk characteristic which gives it an overall sweetness. The only complaint I have is the alcohol strength which I find a bit astringent and reduces how smooth this beer can be.

Mouthfeel is oily, creamy, and silky on the tongue. Unlike any other beer I have had. This is the definition of full bodied.

Drinkability is brought down due to the alcohol. I generally don't mind strong brews and an alcohol presence, but I feel it is a little overdone in this case and almost astringent at some points.

4.01/5  rDev -11.1%

After a long wait I finally got one! Yes!

Pours black, BLACK black, with a big, dark, thick cloud of a head.

Smells of deep roasted coffee, bitter chocolate. Really just coffee. Smell there.

A bit disappointing in flavor. Rich, dark coffee, chocolate and toasty, gritty roastiness. Somewhat abrasive.

Surprisingly thin, chalky almost. Very low carbonation, nearly flat.

A bit of a disappointment. I expected a big stout, and this, I'd say is a younger brother to the big stouts. Still a very nice brew and you should try some. I just won't be searching as hard for it in the future.

Saved my last bottle for 5 months to savor the flavor. Color is pitch black-almost intimidatingly so. Great mix of coffee and dark chocolate in the aroma. You can almost see the coffee grounds in there-its not overpowering but just so "real" like youd find in a cup of coffee in front of you. Flavor of roasted malt with a mix of chocolate is amazing. Theres a lingering sweetness like youd find in a chunk of semi sweet chocolate. Nice grainy flavor in there as well. The harmonious mix of this beer is incredible. Killer body-I cant think of any beer this full tasting going down this smooth-especially a stout. Its almost slamable! Just an incredible beer overall. This is truely a stout to calibrate others against.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am, novelly enough, having the Breakfast Stout for breakfast. It's frighteningly black, with an unbelievably brown head. Smells outstanding, coffee, coffee, coffee, and chocolate. It has the smoothness of an oatmeal stout, combined with a massive assault of bitter coffee and, again, some chocolate to back it up. This beer is just outstanding, and certainly deserving of its repuation. I'd like to have a bottle each of this and Bell's Java Stout at the same time to compare.

I had this with some Guylian dark chocolate and they got along swimmingly.

4.11/5  rDev -8.9%

A- thick and black as 10k mile old oil. dark tan/brown head that starts slow as you pour but finishes huge and sticky.

S- tons of coffee and expresso. chocolate, roasted, smoked.

T- nothing really pulls through very strong at first, but the finish is filled with stong coffee and chocolate flavor. IMO nothing is way to overpowering. everything that comes out complements one another so even though its an incredibly strong taste, its extremely smooth and rich.

M- not as heavy as i first would have thought. no carbonation with a silky smooth texture. almost even refreshing.

D- for a double stout and over 8%, this is very easy to drink. For me personally, i couldnt drink more then a couple because the flavor is so rich, but for what it is i am impressed.

overall- probably my favorite big stout to date. its much smoother and balanced then anything else ive head. the thick yet refreshing mouthfeel makes it go down quite easy. if you can find it (it took me awhile) then dont pass it up.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours almost completely black with a thick dark tan head that leaves nice clumpy lacing. Smells dark roasted coffee and bitter chocolate. A bit nutty too. Wonderful smell. The taste is so soft and full upfront. First it's all bitter chocolate and dark roasted coffee sliding across the palate. Midway it fades a bit to a chocolatey raspberry cherry infused sensation then ending with an eternal roastiness, some spicy yeast and earthy hoppyness. Lingers on forever. This is absolutely wonderful. Mouthfeel is very full with slight carbonation that really only plays a part at the start. I'm having severe trouble not draining this in 5 minutes. It's my only bottle :-( One of the best things to ever pass my lips, and perhaps my new favorite beer.

Huge thanks to Deejaydan on this one. Incredible.

4.37/5  rDev -3.1%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with a full color label. there's an illustration of a small cute little kid wearing a bib, spoon feeding himself out of a founders labeled bowl. "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout" is the description under the name of the beer. well, at least that sounds delicious. there's no freshness date, but the abv is displayed at 8.3%.

appearance: pitch black with dark brown highlights (if that's what you wanna call them) poured in a snifter glass. dark tan head that was a decent 1 inch with tight small bubbles. drops to a capper after a few minutes. laces well.

smell: this smells like a starbucks. strong aromas of wet espresso grounds and sweet chocolate. roasted barley and molasses. maybe some raisins or dark berries.

taste: very sweet, chocolate and coffee flavor. lotsa roasted flavor, barley and oats, but i don't think i would have recognized the oatmeal if i wasn't deliberately looking for it. the lightest of bitterness in the finish and aftertaste, but doesn't come close to comparing to the roasted malt flavors. aftertaste is lightly bitter chocolate and coffee with a touch of paper, unfortunately.

mouthfeel: smooth, creamy, medium body. very light to nonexistant carbonation. rolls around nicely and swallows just as smooth. wish there was a little more carbonation, though.

drinkability: drinkability is quite good. this glass was gone very fast. alcohol doesn't hinder whatsoever, but i know it's there by the end. very tasty and keeps you drinking. super smooth, so there's no excuse to keep you from putting this in your belly.

overall: i think the hype for this beer was just a little too much. i was thinkin' this could be a 4.9 or 5 for this style before i even cracked open the bottle. i wonder about the batch of bottles i got. the paper hurts in the flavor dept. just a little bit. obviously a very good double stout, don't get me wrong. a solid top 25 overall imo, and a definite must-try if you can get some. tasty, smooth and aromatic.

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

I could put this stuff on my waffles! Talk about a beer that stands true to its name.

Unbelievably dark black with a gorgeous deep mocha colored head. The aroma was like sticking your head into a bag of freshly ground, fine espresso coffee beans. It doesn't smell so much like a cup of brewed coffee, but the actual grounds from a coffee machine. There must have been a massive coffee addition to this brew. The taste follows the smell. Heavy doses of a double expresso with a bakers chocolate finish. The mouthfeel is remarkably smooth for a high abv and the coffee taste is not cloying. Unbelievable beer overall. Not really an everyday beer and not for someone who does not like coffee. A nice winter warmer or even a breakfast start with a kick. Awesome, and one-of-a-kind.

4.41/5  rDev -2.2%

From a bottle at room temp. into a tulip glass, it pours motor oily black w/ 1" of brown frothy foamy head that dissipates rather slowly leaving a nice surface layer and decent cling on the glass. Holding into the light, this gives of a slight reddish (ruby) hue.

Even having a slight cold, I still get tons of coffee and cocoa malt aromas, along with a slight reminder of cream. Very sweet aroma really with not a lot of bitterness; very nice!

Sipping this reveals lots of chocolate and coffee flavor. Sweet caramel also comes forward to wash across my palate (YUMMY!). A slightly bitter finish and a very sugary aftertaste. Some oatmeal comes through I guess, but a little more grainy than expected. Still, a great tasting brew!

Medium body to me with a little carbonation and some slight alcohol on the finish. Very very creamy and smooth! It doesn't get much better than this. I was suprised the alcohol wasn't a bit more apparant at 8.3%.

Overall, although it is pretty heavy and sweet, this is a very very very yummy double stout. Probably the best I have had the pleasure of drinking! Thanks Cmarushak!!!!

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%

Wow!

This was a treat. The rare beer that is both awesome with alcohol and strong in coffee. If you like coffee, wow! If not, still pretty awesome!

The smell isn't strong. But it's there. Like sweet coffee. Like your morning Starbucks latte. The taste is right up there. Like eating coffee beans. Smooth up front with a milky sweetness. Then moves into the smoky bits. Finally it finishes with a strong coffee. Excellent. It's really a treat. It goes down pretty well. But I'm not sure if it's really the way to start the day. At 8.3% it's a heavy hitter. As a coffee lover, I can drink this pretty well. But I'm not sure if I'd start the day with it. Not sure if beer is the best thing before heading to work. But this is a great dessert or cold weather drink. Possibly a Siberian breakfast. It's got a great warming quality to it.

I wouldn't say it's a challenger to Dark Lord, but a sure contender for Bell's Java Stout. Good job.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Absolute pitch black espresso hue. Brown coffee head that dissipates and leaves a ring around the top perimeter.

Awesome aroma. Coffee, coffee, coffee. Is this a beer or a cup of coffee? Roasted barley, chocolate, and a bit of hops. Toffee, black licorice, maple syrup.

Amazing taste. A rich breakfast stout indeed. Velvety smooth viscous full-bodied madness that leaps into a sweet but balanced onslaught of roasted hop bitterness. A delectable treat.

A mouthfeel of silk and velvet. A fine balance between assertive and strong yet not too syrupy or cloying. Very nice.

Exceptional drinkability, especially considering the strength and ingredients. The BEST American Stout I've had to date.

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: Dark black with a thick, brown, fluffy head. Very nice lacing and a very sticky head on the side of the glass. Swirling brings this monster of a head back to life.

Smell: Wow. Rich aromas of dark chocolate, coffee grounds, brown sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla.

Taste: Sandy coffee and chocolate flavors with vanilla, soy sauce, and Hershey's syrup all coming in boldly but not too strongly. There's a nice hop ending to this beer that ingers along with a long, sweet, brown sugar finish. The aftertaste is bready and sweet. The flavor is great because it does not overdo it on anything. There not too much of anything but all the flavors are tasty and well represented.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy with a slight graininess that awakens my palate. So very well done on the feel.

Drinkability: This beer is great because no flavor or smell is overdone. A lot of stouts taste like cold coffee. This beer is complex and tasty without killing the consumer with one intense flavor. Well done because their are lots of coffee and chocolate flavors but still some hop and vanilla flavors to soften the brew.

3.62/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours jet black with a thick, luscious brown head. Aroma of coffee and caramel, with a smoky/burnt quality. Full bodied, with some chalkiness. To be honest, I think this one gets caught in between being an over-the-top coffee stout (like Bell’s Java Stout) and a stout where the addition of coffee serves to accentuate the existing stout characteristics (like Dark Lord). This seems to be a nicely crafted stout, but every time the subtle nuances (chocolate, caramel, vanilla) try to push their way forward, your palate is hit with burnt coffee flavors. Finish lasts forever. Could benefit from less coffee or more sweetness to balance it out a bit. However, being a fan of coffee, I can’t help but like this beer. I finished off the bottle before I knew it, I could drink a lot of this.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: beautiful opaque black with fairly well retained thin, dark head.

Nose: morning coffee, maybe a bit sweetened

Taste: The coffee notes up front seem to dominate this beer. It bites like an oatmeal stout, but doesn't really taste like one. The coffee hits early and sweet chocolate dominates late. This bottle came from the fridge, where it came out too cold. An increase in serving temperature (even to the 60s) definitely improved the complexity and taste.

Mouthfeel: Sharp as an oatmeal stout and gets smoother as the brew warms. Very heavy -- this probably shouldn't be your first brew of a session.

Drinkability: A thick, silky smooth brew once it's warm enough. The 8.3% ABV is obvious but not overwhelming.

3.88/5  rDev -14%

On tap at the brewery.
Light on aroma. Some roast and chocolate. Oil black, opeaque, with brown head. Lots of chocolate and coffee flavor. Roasty as hell.Silky smooth and full bodied. It did not live up to my expectations, but it is still a damn fine beer. I would like to rerate some day.

4.15/5  rDev -8%

Pours a crimson tinted black....Nose lends one to beleive this is a substantial beer...it just has that presence to it when you smell it....aroma is big on the java, and dark cocoa...

Body is full...creamy....taste is real big on the java and roasted malts...also some dark chocolate....on the finish it moves past from the pure java notes to almost a ground coffee ground flavor...I could live with a smoother finish...

All in all this is a bigtime stout...my only small complaint is the ABV..I usually like to polish off five or six beers with breakfast and at 8.3% my day would be over before it started if I did that with these :)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company