Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#94

Ratings: 17,081 |  Reviews: 3,927
4.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

P: 12 oz. bottle, courtesy of Monsone in the Black Booty BIF, Thank you Eric!

P: Poured a pitch black pour with a vibrant two fingers of intense chocolate milk foam head that grudgingly lowers to a cover with spider web lacing.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted coffee and dark grains.

T: Smooth and creamy chocolate that settles with slightly roasted coffee at the finish.

M: Really well balanced and great from start to finish. Really savored this and was rewarded to find a more intense taste as it warmed to room temperature.

D: Really liked this, but it needs to be sipped and savored as it warms. Would have another but might get into the hazy zone if one were to go for three!

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

Reviewing from (surprisingly vivid) memory and old notes, I'll re-rate the next time I have this so it's more complete.

On tap at Map Room, pours completely black with a thin but respectable tan head.

The aroma is coffeeish, and no, I don't mean that the way I do when I write it for every other stout-- this is seriously coffeeish, the smell of roasted coffee beans stands out strongly from the background of more typical dark malt character. Very little sweetness in the aroma; a hint of hops is detectable.

Tastes like it smells, like thick, carbonated coffee-- in a good way. Some sweetness is present early and mid-palate, but it reminded me of a bar of 93% cocoa dark chocolate I had once-- the sweetness was just enough to remind me that I was eating chocolate. Hops come in on th finish, which is bitter without being chalky. I was expecting a much sweeter beer, but for what it is, this is pretty good.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light, but I guess it's "only" 8.3%ABV. I'd have preferred this to be a little thicker.

Drinkability is extremely good, owing to all the things that make it a really lousy style example-- light mouthfeel and dry flavor.

But as lousy a style example as it may be, it's still a damn good beer.

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%

Acquired via trade from MuenchenerKindl

Appearance is a dark brown hue, thin head of tan thick condensed foam mostly sustains, minimal lacing

Smell is reminiscent of bitter coffee grounds, some burnt roasty malts, and a touch of sweetness, possibly the strongest coffee aromas I have experienced in a stout

Taste is a big bitter coffee/espresso blast, so strong and dominant that I would peg this as a coffee, not beer, in a blind taste test, the roasty malts suppress most all other flavors, but some slight bittering grassy hops peak through, slight hints of chocolate, nuts, and oatmeal

Mouthfeel is full-bodied, smooth and slick texture, mild carbonation

Drinkability is moderate, higher if you are a coffee fan (which I am not), this is possibly the most coffee-forward stout I have had (which reminds me of ST's Choklat, the most chocolate-forward stout I have had), this typifies a "breakfast stout", I wouldn't think twice about having this in the morning with some eggs and biscuits, definitely unique and a must-try for any fan of the style

3.48/5  rDev -22.8%

12 oz stubby bottle.

black with a nice head, laces well

smells of coffee, roasted/burnt malts, bitter chocolate.

tastes like it smells times three, heavy bitter coffee, bitter chocolate, ash, burnt malts, and a small hop finish, very small.

chewy mouthfeel, thick, oily.

this one was hard for me to drink, it was like trying to drink bitter motor oil. i could barely get through one.

3.9/5  rDev -13.5%

pours a thick opaque black with a single finger of dark brown head. appearance screams rich and filling.

aroma is huge on the coffee, with chocolate, black, and roasted malts. very bold in the nose, with a distant hop character, adding a bit of spice.

taste is more of the same, with a more pronounced coffee character. suprizingly smooth on the finish, with lingering coffee and chocolate.

mouthfeel is heavy bodied, with a creamy and thick texture. finish is smooth with a slick feel.

drinkability is decent. brews like this beg the question: is the brewer exercising craft here or just packing as much of certain ingredients in the brew and calling it extreme? however, i digress. cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

Obtained via trade with mymrnngjckt. Poured into a snifter. Completely pitch black, light has no effect on this liquid. Head is modest in size, but very sticky.

Smells like one of those sweetened iced coffees, with a nice roastiness but plenty of sweetness.

The coffee flavor in this beer is absolutely epic. Dry espresso smacks the palate and lingers for minutes after the swallow. Unsweetened chocolate makes an appearance as well. It's not overly bitter or astringent like some lesser American double stouts.

Mouthfeel is so rich you can practically chew it. Light carbonation really lets the massiveness of this beer make itself known. The finish is long and dry, making you really want more with every sip. Excellent beer, can't wait to compare with the KBS.

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%

From an outstanding trade with urwatuh8. Huge thanks!

Appearance: black, opaque, with a big deep brown moderately dense head: just what an imperial stout should look like: I don't often give fives, but this what an imperial stout should look like.

Aroma: Smoky and sweet roasty tangy, slightly sweet. Nice.

Taste: Smoky rauchy full, slightly nutty. Roasty and tangy. Delicious and complex.

Mouth: Medium thick, warm to almost hot alcohol, slightly slick.

Overall: delicious, warm, and roasty. I'd absolutely grab it again when the opportunity presents itself.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance - Black with a modest half-inch of dark brown foam. The head dissipates pretty quickly, leaving a cascade of lace.

Smell - A huge coffee aroma is immediately noticeable upon opening the bottle - and that's about all I got from it. My initial thought was that it was too one-dimensional, but it actually works just fine. I love the smell of coffee, and this beer captures that aroma better than any other I've tried. As it warms, rich dark chocolate begins to appear.

Taste - Extremely dry. I was expecting a sweeter stout, but once I got used to the dryness it really grew on me. Flavors of espresso, burnt toast and unsweetened chocolate are most prevalent, with a subtle smokiness in the finish. An aptly named beer - I could see this pairing beautifully with bacon, eggs and potatoes.

Mouthfeel - Chewy and full-bodied with a mild carbonation that doesn't get in the way of the richness of the flavor.

Notes - Pretty unique stuff - It'd be hard to mistake it for anything else - and very good. Glad I had the opportunity to try it. Thanks to hrking for the trade!

Update: This beer has been revisited dozens of times, and it grows on me every bottle. Incredible stuff.

4.02/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance: Pours thick and viscous black. Presents with fair, brownish head.

Smell: Very aromatic and pleasant. Notes of bitter coffee prevalent.

Taste: The first tastes are of bitter dark chocolate and coffee- quite strong. The roasted malts are also pronounced. Bitterness is strong and remains in the aftertaste. This bitter property seems to mellow as the beer warms though.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and silky. The bitter bite plays a little hell on the tastebuds upon first taste but improves upon warming.

Drinkability: Between the unique character of this brew and the ABV, not a session beer by any means. More suited for sipping and pairing with an appropriate food.

3.98/5  rDev -11.8%

Big thanks to Buckeyesox for this brew. BTW this is the first time I have thanked someone in a review. I apologize to everyone before, I just noticed it is kind of a nice thing to do. From now on I will give mad props to people. To all before, you already got mad props.
L: Dark brown half finger head that linger after it goes down a bit. The color itself is a filthy engine oil with not a chance of light shining through.
S: Fresh coffee beans that smell like they have been roaste and then steamed with some dark chocolate.
T: Dark sharp chocolate with just a slight touch of hops that linger on the back. First sip is a nice milky chocolate. After it warms a bit in your mouth a touch of those coffee beans shine through.
M: The mouth feel to me was a bit much. A harsh choclate sharp fizz. Mixed with a harsh coffee fizz
D OVer all this beer was pretty smooth. The mouthfeel was not to my liking, but then again, how long is it sitting in my mouth?

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this on the shelf for a couple of months and tonight seems like a worthy night to find out what all of the fuss is about.

It pours a cartoonishly opaque, pure jet black with a small but creamy mocha colored head that sticks around for a while.

All sorts of coffee fill the nose along with sweet dark chocolate and roasted malts; the hops are nestled faintly in the background.

Full and creamy mouthfeel, but a bit too much carbonation takes it one step back from being silky smooth. Bittersweet chocolate taste along with sweet caramel and roasted malts. A touch of mocha with a huge fresh black coffee kicker that dominates the palate, leaving a lingering bitterness.

I really wanted to love this beer but the intense coffee dominance prevented that from happening as I simply do not love coffee. I still feel it is a very good beer and coffee drinkers will no doubt find it fantastic.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to kryptic for the trade.

Breakfast stout pours an impenetrable black with a nice two finger dark tan head. As head reduces lace remains thick. The nose assaults one with coffee and blackened roasted malt. Wow!! Coffee and chocolate abound in this beer. Roasted malts and slight hop bitterness are there as well but the coffee reaaaalllyyyy dominates here. This is an excellent stout. Creamy chocolatey mouthfeel that goes down incredibly smooth. Drinkability is incredibly high. This beer is HIGHLY recommended. Thanks again to kryptic.

3.7/5  rDev -18%

Finally

A_Pours a near obsidian black with a sma coffee coloured head.Settles down into a few bubbles.

S_Rich coffee aromas reach my nose before I even pull this up to my face. This is followed by charred malt and some damp earth.

T_Very potent charred espresso hits upon first sip, this is followed. Very bitter from those roasted qualities. There is aso a certain souress noted on mid sip. The follow through is very bitter.

M-Viscous and oily with a low carbonation.

D-This is a good strong stout. I have wanted to try this for a while. I think I prefer a slighty sweeter stout like Brooklyn's this one is a bit too bitter and possibly unbalanced.. Still I am happy to have had it and this would be in the rotation if it were local. Cheers to Unclejedi for the sample.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a deep, inky black, with a small head that dissapates quickly. The smell is rich and warm, with overtones of cocoa and roast coffee. After the first sip, all i can say is "wow." So smooth, so roasty. It's a little bitter but finishes very dry. The mouthfeel is sublime. Despite being very rich I would love to drink this all of the time! I can only imagine what a great breakfast this would make.

3.81/5  rDev -15.5%

So I'm actually sitting here drinking this right now, while I catch up on my other reviews. I popped it open cause, well, it's my birthday so I figured I'd kick things off with a Top 100 brew. I got a couple bottles of this from Skinnyelvis in the Secret Santa 2007 and have been waiting for an excuse to crack this one open.

Things started off well - this beer looks fantastic. Dark, dark, dark, but that really nice looking obsidian-dark that makes you think "damn, this is going to be good." Aroma - very nice as well. More restrained than I expected (was anticipating chocolate/coffee explosion) but very nice. Reminds me of "kicked up" hot chocolate and for some reason, something in the aroma just connotes "thickness" to my nose.

Stop the presses -- my first sip reveals an overly bitter, unbalanced stout with too much of the wrong kind of hops. I must say, it was quite a disappointment. I don't know if it's that I haven't had an RIS in a while, but I really had difficulty getting past the first half glass; the grapefruity hops just killed the rest of the flavour, which includes some very dark, gourmet coffee notes and hints of dry dark chocolate. I think the oatmeal in this also adds to the sourness of the beer, throwing it off more. I have to admit -- as it's warming, I'm getting more into it. But I can't say I'm enjoying it nearly as much as I expected.

Back to the good -- the mouthfeel is really nice, and the aftertaste is like that of a freshly brewed cup of pressed dark roast coffee. Excellent body, although it's got so much "stuff" in it that it's almost overly sticky.

Anyway... I've got one more bottle of this. I'm not sure whether to try it again in a month or two, or wait a year and see if it ages (I'm not sure if this is that type of brew). I might save it for next Christmas, or have it during the next Toronto snow storm. We'll see. Hopefully I can come back and change the "taste" and "drinkability" numbers, but for now I have to be honest and leave them the way they are.

4.34/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz into a snifter.

A: Pours extremely dark brown, with a very thin brown head. Slight lacing.

S: Right off the bat, there are aromas of coffee, burnt malt, and chocolate. Alcohol is next, warm and spicy. Raisins, tobacco, and leather are also there.

T: Tastes very much the way it smells. There is also a faint, sweet licorice taste early on, and a mid-palate ripe berry sweetness. A dry, smoky finish rounds it out rather nicely.

M: Mouthfeel is awesome! Slick, heavy and chewy. It gets fluffier and chewier as I swirl it in my mouth.

D: The smokiness gets kind of obnoxious about halfway through, and begins to hamper the drinkability. One is enough for me.

The is a mighty fine beer.

4.37/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks seaoflament...

Aroma is exactly what I hoped for. Awesome mix of chocolate, coffee..vanilla, more chocolate...roasted grains

This one tastes just like it smells. Very nice balance of flavors. It has depth. I'm loving this one. It is very hard to keep from drinking to fast.

As it warms it opens up even more. Mouthfeel is creamy.

I'm looking forward to trying more of this one.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this as a gift from my brother for Christmas, and shared it with a friend here in Ireland.

Poured into two different small glasses from a 12oz bottle and shared. Pours very thick like a thick dark black/brown molasses oil or something, but looks great with a 1/2 finger cream colored head that doesnt stick around too long.

First smells are of coffee and chocolate, definitely what I would have imagined from Founders out of this one.

Deep flavors of coffee and chocolate come through in the first tastes-exactly what would be expected based on the smell. Well balanced I think and not too strong, but definitely has a kick.

Tastes great as it goes down and as smooth as a beer of this style can go down really-a bit sticky here and there.

I'd like to say I could drink this all night, as I do enjoy the taste, but I do know that it does pack a pretty solid punch. I have another one of these as well and look forward to a whole one myself.

Received as part of Black Booty '08 from ahatcher78 - many thanks.

Black as night, no light at all comes through. Looks thick and viscous while being poured. Cocoa colored one-fingered head that settles to a thin cap, and leaves sporadic lacing behind.

Incredible aroma - Lots of roasty and sweet malt goodness. Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, a touch of vanilla, and a hint of alcohol. So inviting.

Flavor is similar to aroma. Starts of with roasted bitterness - bittersweet chocolate and espresso. The beer then instantly sweetens up with milk and dark chocolate, oatmeal, and vanilla. Some herbal hops and spice as well. Notes of sherry, oak, and a light warming alcohol burn. Finish is a battle between sweet malt and dry roast. Absolutely delicious.

Rich and full-bodied, velvety smooth, viscous, thick and chewy. Incredible drinkability - but this is my only bottle!! Perfect amount of alcohol. Wonderfully balanced. Just an exceptional beer that lives up to the hype.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Received in a trade with kryptic. Thanks!

A- Poured from the 12oz bottle into a Riedel sniffer. Pours a jet black with a thin tan head which quickly dissipated.

S- Not too strong a nose on this. Smells of coffee and dark malts.

T- I love this beer! Tastes at first of dark malts which quickly gives way to coffee and oats. This beer sticks around in your mouth for a bit which I really like.

M- Perfect carbonation somewhat of a medium carb but cuts through the thick brew very well.

D- This beer beckons to be drank. After every sip I am wanting another. I have yet to try this with breakfast but I will one day. And it will be glorious!

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Pours an evil-looking pitch black with a thin layer of dark brown foam on top. It dissipates quickly, leaving a simple ring around the side of the glass. Nice lacing.

S: Coffee, chocolate, and roasted grains. This is one fantastic smelling brew. It's got me excited for the first sip!

T: Similar to the smell, but better. Dark chocolate, a huge hit of coffee, and a mild alcohol bite are all present, complimented by the roasted grains. Absolutely well-balanced and damn tasty!

M: Smooth, creamy, and delicious.

D: If they actually distributed this to MA, I would have it in my fridge all the time. Sadly, I've never seen it on out shelves. Great job Founders!

4.33/5  rDev -4%

First bottle from two 4 packs just brought back from a family holiday trip to Grand Rapids, Michigan by trusty tasting buddy Patrick.

Poured into a 16 oz pilsner glass. Viscous and engine oil dark. One finger head, luscious tan color. Smells faintly of coffee at first, then more perceptible as it warms up. Enjoyed over 25 minutes or so.

Very noticible tastes of coffee, chocolate, not overly alcoholy. Definitely a skim of oatmealy glutens to coat the tongue. One of the least bitter stouts of the many I have sampled.

One of the most drinkable stouts I have experienced. Even my wife, who leans to pilsners and the less wild belgians, said it was something she could drink a bit of.

I'd better hide these from her.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

This was served up in a 10oz. bubble glass at my favorite watering hole along the raging Manatawny River in Earlville, PA. The color was very dark brown with a mocha colored frothy head. Sticky lacings abound all over the glass.

Wonderful rich coffee and chocolate bouquet, reminded me of cappuccino.

Tasted rich and creamy, not to bitter. Tasted nuts and oats. The alcohol is well hidden. Fantastic taste, very warming and easy to drink,... I had a hard time putting my glass down, I would have this for breakfast, brunch, or anytime of day. Excellent!! :)

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a stubby 12 oz bottle to a snifter the liquid is dark dark brown and has way great carbonation. The head is a real fat 2 fingers as it crests the rim, recedes and leave really nice lase. 3 swirls kicks up a one finger foam pad, nice.

The smell is BAM! Coffee, with a smokey green fruit thing, Not sure what that is but it is different.

The taste is great man do I like the coffee beer, and this one is nice. Lots of coffee, mild amount of chocolate and a bit of smokey dark toast. Really lip smacking teeth licking good.

The mouthfeel is great, in the body a bit too much carbonation at first then creamy, and a bit chalky in the finish.

The drinkability is great, what a fine brew this one was
Huge thanks to NFLMVP for Keeping my cellar stellar.

Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

First beer of 2008! Poured into my Sam Adams gift glass. Very carbonated, with 4 fingers of head quickly rushing to the rim. I had to wait a few minutes before pouring the remaining ounces. Super frothy tan-brown head, very bubbly and delicious looking.
Huge coffee aroma...couldn't really smell anything else.
First sip hit me with those huge coffee notes...wow! Once she warmed a little, I got an amazing mouthfeel of chocolate milky smoothness. Very creamy, with some hop sweetness with a touch of vanilla. Extremely surprised too find all these complex flavors working around the huge coffee taste...amazing beer.

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company