Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#129

Ratings: 17,196 |  Reviews: 3,948
3.47/5  rDev -23.1%

Pours a very deep black color with a very thin layer of initial, tan head that goes away quickly, and it also has very little lacing. Nice scent, the chocolate dominates, although there is a nice hint of coffee, although with very little burnt grain scent and a near undetectable (barely there) oatmeal scent. Very nice flavor, the different pieces come together very well, with chocolate on top, a nice coffee kick, followed by the oatmeal sweetness; I personally find it hard to think the flavors can completely mesh, but this did a good job of it. This beer is also very smooth and silky, very nice and barely rough from the relatively high ABV.

To be honest there are better stouts out there that you can get year around and are cheaper, but it's still well worth the try, even at its higher cost.

4.3/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz stubby brown bottle, poured into a brandy snifter.

A: Pours that standard, jet black, inky dark, midnight on a moonless night kind of deal that is pretty much standard for imperial stouts. The viscosity seems a bit low, coming out of the bottle at least, but picks up a bit when I swirll it around in the glass and after ever sip as the liquid slowly sinks down to join the rest of the beer. Long story short, this beer has some decent legs. Head forms quick and thick, a good half inch of mocha colored, pillowy soft bubbles. However, the head fades down into a cap not long after, but still manages to leave behind some spotty lacing. Not bad, but certainly not great, I've seen stouts much larger than this still manage to muster up some considerable retention and lacing that far outpaces what is being offered up here. Still though the overall presentation is beguiling.

S: In a word: dry. Dry, mildly floral hoppiness, coupled with cold pressed coffee grounds, bitter chocolate and a suprisingly sweet milkiness, which becomes more pronouced as the beer warms.

T/MF: While I think Peche Mortel has this one beat on taste and feel, Breakfast Stout does not dissapoint. It brings the coffee like not many other stouts can, while still retaining a good deal of complexity. There is coffee here and lots of it, but there is also tobacoo and licorice. This beer is also a great deal drier than other coffee stouts I've come across, not nearly as dry as Beer Geek Breakfast, but dry and constricting nonetheless. While this is not a bad thing, it is also not an entirely good thing as it detracts just a bit from the mouthfeel, which feels chalky at times, and the puckering of the taste buds covers up an otherwise complex beer.

D: An easy sipper, a real joy to drink. Goes great with a football game at night and no work the next morning. Makes for a very relaxing drinking experience, something that other beers seem to lack at times. That is to say, this is a beer that makes you want to take your time, makes you want to hold on and get everything you can out of it before the bottle is gone.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Fall 2008 installment into trusty Alpine mug...

Pours a molasses/motor oil black. Head is very thin and colored like brown sugar and cinnamon with little staying power. Still this looks formidable.

The coffee and bittersweet chocolate dominate with a little oatmeal and mega-roasted malt texture. Hop grass complements nicely.

Very complex texture of deep-roasted malt, coffee and natural, unsweetened chocolate. Chocolate further syncs up with a mild oatmeal texture to provide an austere and dry but painfully compelling stout profile.

There's nothing, I repeat...NOTHING bad about the mouthfeel on this one. Rich yet dry and even clean for something so huge. Full finish gives off a little oatmeal chocolate chip sweetness. Definitely Beautiful Chemistry working here.

Having said all that, this is definitely a sipper. I can't wait to pair this up with a big, fat charred steak...and some brownies...and a...

3.66/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: Motor oil black, poured a little hard for a one finger head, that was brown and foamy, solid lacing left on the glass.

Smell: The smell was weak with only the faintest sweetness that I would smell in an RIS, mostly it was the roasted malt I presume giving it the odor along with the coffee of course, of astringent very dark roasted malt.

Taste andMouthfeel: Lightly sweet in the front, and the roasted malt, very dark hammers you the rest of the way with a black coffee aftertaste. The coffee is everpresent but muddy, never really distinct. The feel is smooth and the more you work it the smoother it gets. For the price I'll take the Old Rasputin or a Sammy Smith anyday of the week.

Drinkability: The price and more especially the burnt character make this a conversation beer more than a must have for me.

4.84/5  rDev +7.3%

I was very excited to try this beer when I first heard about it. As far as appearance, very dark in color with no head at all. Smell wise for me was freshly ground gourmet coffee (mmm....). The taste was exceptional. Upon the first sip was a very high coffe note which seemed to linger as I let the beer sit for awhile. One thing I did find was after it warmed up a bit the chocolate notes came out a little more. The mouthfeel for this beer i would say is medium to heavy bodied and I don't think I could drink more than 2 in a sitting. Such a great beer though and I highly recommend it!!!!

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally found this bad boy on my first beer run in a while and I knew I had to have it! Decent price for a 4 pk too ($10), so I was pretty thrilled to try.

A: Pours shiny, thick, pitch black with a thin, lasting brown head that leaves lines of lacing going down the glass.

S: The smell is of chocolate and coffee - great selections of each - with some mollasses. There's an underlying earthiness and vague fruitiness.

T: The taste is of rich, ROASTED coffee, rich chocolate - bittersweet. Light roast and bitterness balance sweetness. A touch of milk seems to come through as it progresses. Rich and complex with a slight acidic touch.

M: Rich, creamy full-body that is smooth.

D: Impressive offering, I'll have to try some more Founders. Tough to live up to a top 10 BA ranking, but this did a pretty good job (though I have other brews higher). Proud to have this review on my profile, trying to focus on the best of the best and this is up there.

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this one from a 12oz short brown bottle into an Imperial pint glass.

A= This stout poured jet black with slight caramel brown highlights around the edges. The dark tan head started at 1/4" and quickly dropped to a thin skim. Minor lacing at best.

S= I found aromas of cocoa, roasted coffee beans, sweet malts, and slight alcohol.

T= This stout started with a bitter roasted coffee bite, followed by a short burst of sweet chocolate, then back to the acidic and oak-like bitterness. Alcohol warmed the chest and belly after each swallow.

MF= Lower carbonation and a medium body gave this one a silky feel. The body was just a tad too light in my opinion.

D= A damn good beer with a complex set of flavors. I wish the body was a bit thicker and I wish the acidity of the coffee notes was taken down a notch, but all in all a great beer.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours an impenetrable black that seems to suck all the light out of the room with a wonderful, dense, and amazingly persistent mocha head that leaves some exquisite lacing. In short, its one damn fine looking beer. The aroma is incredible. Roasted coffee is dominant but there is more going on here, there is a bit of fudge as well. I can smell the coffee in this beer from a few feet away. Just after looking at and smelling this beer I cannot wait to try it. This beer does not disappoint. The roastyness is, initially less intense than the aroma, this simply serves to allow the malt, silky oats, and bitter chocolatey goodness to show themselves. There is a slight acrid character to this from the roasted malts (usually not something I welcome in beers but) it pairs incredibly well with the other flavors here. The roasted malts come after the chocolate but are replaced by a smooth silkiness from the oats. This flavor is overtaken by the coffee which lingers long into the finish. The mouthfeel is wonderful. At first it felt a bit thin but then as I let it linger a bit on my palate I was able to appreciate its greatness. It is medium-full in body and smooth as silk. It feels almost weightless yet heavy and robust at the same time. Drinkability on this is awesome, damn near exceptional. I'm trying to make the bottle last because it has evolved so wonderfully over the course on this glass that I can't wait to see how it'll change next. I had high expectations that got even higher after reveling in its beauty and intriguing aromas and, needless to say, my expectations were met.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Nice and black with a gorgeous, foaming ,light brown head. It forms up nicely in the snifter and retains well, leaving sheets of large bubbles.

S: The smooth oatmeal scents come out in particular. A rich and full bodied coffee-roast in the aroma. This smells like it would be an amazingly good coffee in itself.

T + M + D: Bitter chocolate flavours - it pairs well with the full coffee taste. The smooth flavour and feel of the oatmeal flakes makes a nice touch. That said, it's not QUITE as creamy as I might have expected. Nonetheless, this is an excellent beer and well worth drinking up plenty of. Wonderful.

4.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a beautiful black with tight tan head that settles to a single layer and leaves too little lacing.
Aroma is of rich coffee, a hint of cocoa, dark roasted grains, hint of smoke, soma faint molasses-like malt.
Flavor is much like the aroma, tons of coffee, a hint of chocolate, grain, like oatmeal-ish heavy grain notes, slightly bitter finish from the roasted grains and bitter chocolate.
Mouthfeel is smooth and rich, medium light carbonation, and a bitter, dry finish.
Amazingly drinkable. Almost as drinkable as Guinness. I would love to have this with many a breakfast.

3.99/5  rDev -11.5%

Straight black with a tan head, typical stout, no visible carbonation. Poured into a tulip.

Predominately chocolate and coffee/espresso, sweet and malty, very inviting. Maybe a slight bit of smoke.

Really big on the coffee/chicory, bittersweet chocolate, creamy and malty.

Heavy, sticky, and coats the mouth like heavy cream.

Strong, slightly thick and heavy, not one I could drink back to back, but the flavor and aroma are amazing.

3.65/5  rDev -19.1%

Serving from 12 oz.(?) shorty bottle into my Stone IRS tulip crystal.

The pour is pure blackness .. opaque. Compared to the on tap version, the head is much smaller, but the lacing is good.

The nose on this, the bottled version, is no where close to the on tap version. Coffee is huge, but where is that delicious chocolate? It's missing! The nose is similar to many coffee stouts ... not bad, but one dimensional.

Taste of the bottled version is as disappointing as was the nose ... all coffee and no chocolate. The tap version was a balance between the two, but this is one dimensional; coffee only. It's as if instead of using chocolate malt (or extract) they substituted black patent malt. Which brings up the astringency. None in the tap version, but very noticeable in the bottled version. Mouthfeel has lost something as well. The tap version is smooth, full and creamy, like drinking a malted milkshake. The bottled version is medium full, but not creamy. Its more astringent, with inadequate carbonation. The alcohol never makes a showing, which is a good point.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a decent Imperial stout. I guess I am disappointed that the bottled version is nowhere near what the on tap version was like. At $16 for a four pack, its definitely on the pricey side. If it had tasted like the tap version, I would've paid $20 for a 4 pack. As it is, I think it should be priced closer to $10 a 4 pack. I confess to being a bit disappointed, but I'll still enjoy the rest of my bottles over the Winter. If you've never had the tap version, you will probably find this a very good Imperial Stout. If you've had the tap version, you may find the bottled version a bit disappointing; I did.

Na Zdravje!

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from the tap into a Belgian Style tulip glass.

Appearance- Beer pours solid molasses black with a red hued ring of foam around the sides that doesn't die for over an hour and a half. Beer was poured too cold so I set it aside and waited. Lacing is THICK, and clings to the sides forever as well.

Smell- Rich coffee with cream and roasted malts. Dark fruits are quick to follow but not near as strong as the first upfront coffee and Irish cream smells. Black licorice and burnt malts. This beer smells amazing. The hops aren't overly strong on the nose and that's just fine with me.

Taste- Creamy, good god this is some amazing nectar. It is no surprise that I was unable to clone it perfectly. I did come close, but not as excellent as this perfected recipe. Coffee and rich creams. Almost a Kahlua style taste but so much better. Malty sweet roasted balancing acts with toffee, caramel, espresso, the great flavor just doesn't stop coming! Again with the dark and milk chocolates. Wonderful!

Mouthfeel- Creamy, thick, full-bodied, medium-high in carbonation, even two hours later, I can find no negatives in this beer.

Drinkability- This is a desert island beer, a winter wonderland beer, the taste for the people of Hoth, and quite possibly the best stout of all time. I need more.. More.. MORE!!

3.58/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured into a tulip

A- Extreme black, even when held up to the light. Not even a brown corona. Awesome dark caramel head that disappeared way too fast : (

N- Sweet cocoa, burnt/roasted malt, espresso. Quite bitter, even for a coffee beer.

T- Burnt coffee, burnt sugar, moderate alcohol. Semi-sweet chocolate. Kind of acerbic. I can't knock the sensation that it tastes a little overcooked.

M- Nicely effervescent at first, almost liquid velvet near the end. Lighter body for a stout, but quite nice.

D -Bitter alcohol is fairly apparent near the end, almost metallic, but not overpowering. I was just surprised by it. Definitely couldn't drink a lot, but this would make a fine gameday breakfast. Also, very well balanced hop/malt character. But I don't understand the mass appeal. If it was available in my area I would buy it again, but it's not worth another trade.

Walked into Armaneti's on Lincoln to see if there was anything new...and what did I see? Cases of Founders Breakfest Stout staring at me. Must try.

Bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A - Thick creamy darkness. As dark as the Dark Lord.

S - Coffee, chicory and maybe my mind is playing games but a bit like cooking bacon. Yumm..

T - Really delicious. I'm not a stout guy but this is really good. Now the chocalate comes but very muted by the coffee.

M - Creamy almost like from a nitro tap. Very low carbonation - excellent.

D - Wow. Granted this is not really an Imperial Stout but the alc still comes in at 8.3. Amazinly easy and pleasurable to drink.

Must say I'm really impressed with this. Had Dark Lord and for the money this is better. Founders makes incredible beer - would love to try the Kentucky Bourbon version.

4.66/5  rDev +3.3%

I like this one better of the 2 Founders breakfast stouts. Oatmeal and coffee present taste and a coffee nose. Drinkable is very smooth and creamy but drink this one COLD warming it up does not improve this one it is best to drink it cold. Worth seeking out for sure!

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

From notes recorded 9/29/08. I had the whole 4-pack of 12 oz bottles over the course of the evening, served in a Brandy glass:

Pours like motor oil and is the most opaque shade of black. Little to no head to speak of. What's there is dark mocha in color but doesn't last long.

The aroma is so pleasant it should be illegal. Fresh ground coffee and the chocolatiest chocolates. This is the very definition of olfactory hedonism.

Let me get right to the point here: DELICIOUS. Roasted malt and lots of it. Expensive coffee and chocolate (milk and bitter). Very sweet but kept in check by pleasant bitterness. Molasses. Warming. Chewy. Smooth like velvet.

Amazingly drinkable for a beer this big. I had to force myself to slow down at times and let the beer warm up a bit to let the flavors and aromas blossom further. Then it's even more enjoyable.

This beer was hard to find and I want more!

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%

Year old bottle purchased at a liquor store in Ann Arbor way back when.

Appearance: Tar black with gobs of tan foam. I had 2 inches of foam at first, but it died down pretty quick.

Smell: Unused coffee grounds, roasted malt-mania. Etc.

Taste: Unused coffee grounds, roasted malt-mania, chocolate. Excellent.

mouthfeel: Creamy, viscous, significant carbonation Maybe a little too much carbonation for my taste, but I can't complain too much.

Drinkability: For a thick-ass stout, this is highly quaffable.

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Finally got this one in at the local liquor store. Picked up the last two, but I hope they get more.

A - One of the darkest beer I've seen for sure. Small ring of brown head.

S - Perfect. Freshly ground coffee grains, rich dark chocolate, some herbal hops underneath. Enormous and oh-so good.

T - Pure tastes of chocolate and coffee. Oatmeal and brown sugar come through. Slightly bitter that balances amazingly.

M/D - Very full bodied and feels awesome when held in your mouth. Really good beer.

4.69/5  rDev +4%

Big thanks to sholland119 for setting me up with a 4-pack...I've been wanting to try this for a long time!!

Pours a thick, slightly sludgy black color, very faint brownish highlights when held to light, one-finger mocha color head rises very slowly, and fades into a very thin collar of foam around the beer, a few splotches of lace on the glass. Coffee smell just explodes out the glass, dark roasty espresso notes, dark chocolate, and a spicy hint of dark fruit. Tastes like an extremely bitter dark chocolate bar was melted into an extremely strong cup of coffee. Burnt coffee around the edges, oh-so-slightly warming alcohol, and a killer coffee aftertaste....delicious. Rich, and creamy as hell. Yeah, this one tasty effing brew!! Wow!

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Generous extra provided by bergands, thanks dude! Also this is my 100th review :)

A: Completely black in color, highly viscous, with barely any head formation. This is like pouring motor oil. There was a slight few brown bubbles that formed on the surface but disappeared pretty much immediately.

S: Aroma is dominated by that of fresh roasted coffee, with a slight presence of chocolate. No alcohol on the nose at all.

T: Obviously dominant on the roasted coffee flavors, but as it's swirled around the mouth the dark chocolate flavors come out to play. Flavor also consists of bitter oats, vanilla and molasses. The balance between the malted barley and hops is incredible. There's a light alcoholic warmth to this, but it's ever so subtle. The ABV is completely masked in the taste. I don't even like coffee that much, but this is quite delicious. I'm impressed with how the flavors are "layered" in that it's not all up front, they are released over time from when you take the first sip until you swallow the last. This definitely changes as the beer warms to room temp (as suggested by Todd Alstrom on his review). Highly recommended.

M: Mouthfeel is excellent. Medium carbonation lends for a smooth drinking brew that finishes of with a mellow, creamy feel.

D: Almost completely masked ABV, great taste and easy drinking. This is definitely something I could get used to...too bad it's so hard to get a hold of.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

The final bottle of the eight I picked up, sad to see it go.

It takes a heavy handed pour to produce much of a head. When poured rather aggressively a nice three finder head turned up. Cappucino/cinnamon color. Slowly will settle with a lot of clingy lacing. Body is black, the only light which shows through comes around the edge leaving nice ruby/brown tones.

Even while still on the colder side there is big aroma. The coffee jumps right out. Deep roasted malt and chocolate smells are very noticeable up front as well. The brew opens up even more as it is enjoyed.

Once again the coffee is right up front in the taste much like the nose. Dark roasted coffee flavors mesh well with the dark chocolate and slightly charred malt. Bitterness seems to come across as combination on nice hop and bitter chocolate bite. Oatmeal can be picked up providing another layer and nice texture to the brew.

Definitely a full bodied brew. Very big but incredible smooth. The ridiculously big flavors hide much of the alcohol.

This is most definitely a sipper. Great brew to start out chilled and enjoy as it warms. You wil want to enjoy this one as long as possible.

Founder's has really put me in a tough place here. Given a choice between this and KBS? I think the only reasonable answer would be one of each.

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%

Finally I get to try this beer! I even thought I had missed out on it again this year, but a trip to a small store in a town where the typical college student buys swill made me a very happy man. Needless to say I wish I could afford a case...alas, I purchased the 4-pack.

Removed from the fridge and poured into a snifter after 1/2 hour to warm, this beer started out with a 1-finger brown head that dissipated somewhat quickly to minimal lacing on the sides of the glass. The liquid is murky black with almost no evidence of light penetration.

A deep smell reveals primarily roasted coffee beans, semi-sweet chocolate, a touch of vanilla, and not even a hint of the 8.3% ABV.

First sip nearly overwhelms the taste buds with roasty, chocolatey goodness. No alcohol harshness makes this a dangerous sipper. Mouthfeel is slightly thin for the style, but as smooth as any stout I've ever had (likely due to the oatmeal). Highly drinkable.

I can't wait to share some of this amazing beverage with my brother, who is just beginning his foray into the world of good beer. If/when I find this again, I will be stocking up for sure.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

On tap @ the Tap Room

Appearance- This beer pours with some viscosity. Impressive. It's as black as eternity. A nice looking creamy brown head sits on top and recedes to a good sized collar in a minute. The lacing is sparse.
Smell- The nose is nice. Coffee is the biggest component. Then roasted and burnt malts. Then wood and vanilla.
Mouthfeel- The carbonation is light and the beer feels somewhat creamy in the mouth. Body is medium could be a little heavier
Taste- The coffee tones come through in a big way on the palate as well. There's a nice bitterness attributed to coffee and roasted malts. It lingers nicely.

The alcohol is hidden nicely behind the bold coffee tones. Pretty tasty beverage esp if you like coffee

4.4/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet. Here goes - Poured from a 12oz. bottle into my Breakfast Stout shaker glass. Appears an opaque dark brown color with about two fingers of caramel colored head that fades rather quickly. Smells of dark chocolate and roasted coffee. Mocha! Taste is of both dark and milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee and a touch of hops. There's a pleasant bitterness followed by a warming alcohol burn on the throat. Full bodied, thick, rich and chewy with medium carbonation. A really great beer, but a little too rich to have more than a few of these in a session.

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company