Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#98

Ratings: 17,106 |  Reviews: 3,930
4.06/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: A creamy mocha crown acts as a barrier between the air and the absolute darkness of this Beer.

Smell: Those extra-strong turkish coffees that come in those miniscule cups, ground cocoa aroma.

Taste: Chocolate bitterness and roasted malt and somewhat subdued alcohol makes this a very round, rich elixir that I could have sampled again and again. Not as good as Péché Mortel, but close.

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

(Special thanks to CRJMellor for a great trade)

This is the thickest-looking stout I’ve ever poured. Completely opaque blackness with a toasted chocolate head. You ever get some chocolate from a candy bar on your fingers and then accidentally smear some chocolate on a piece of paper? That’s how the head looks.

Smells like COFFEE! Chocolate, too. And mocha. I’m drinking this very close to room temperature and the sheer complexity of its odor is astounding. It’s like several types of stout all rolled in to one and with no conflicting scents. Absolutely wonderful.

Flavor starts out with coffee electricity, a dark roasted malt middle with strong nodes of a dark, bitter chocolate, ending with a more milk chocolate sweetness, an oatmeal stout finish, very dry with a slightly sour hint.

This beer is like candy. Like one of those iced mochas they sell at Starbucks only better. As strange as it may sound, this incredibly flavorful and highly-alcoholic stout would actually make a great cross over beer. It’s that tasty, and that inoffensive.

Great stuff. Perfection. Please please please start distributing to Iowa or Illinois so I can drink it more often.

I don't like giving out fives. Something sticks in the back of my throat, sputtering, making me really question myself "Is this beer good enough? Is it really perfect? Why don't you just take the mouthfeel down a notch?" I've put in a lot of thought, and giving this beer anything other than a perfect score would be a lie. Buy some. Right now.

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

My first 12oz. of this beer ( a couple days ago) left me somewhat disappointed. 'Am I missing something?" I wondered. I very nearly dreaded drinking the other three. This afternoon, after a few other, less in-your-face beers, I decided to approach this one again. The mouthfeel is the stand-out feature of this beer. Incredibly thick and satisfying to drink. Upon my first tasting, I found the coffee elements to be too assertive, and the bitterness factor a bit high. It tastes like a different brew now (though from the same six-pack). Had I rated it, I wouldn't have done it justice. I would highly reccomend building up to this one in a session rather than beginning with. Despite the name, this beer would be much too much for me in the morning - though I do percieve (and appreciate) the coffee element.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours into the glass with a deep tan head on top of solid black liquid. Features a complex coffee and cocoa nose with an oatmeal background. The thick luxurious mouthfeel offers flavors of dark chocolate, more coffee and hoppy bitterness tempered with smooth oatiness. Finishes complex and wonderfully bittersweet. The aftertaste just goes on and on, one of the truly great stouts!

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

Black lacquer body, I sense brown upon it but only see black. A chocolate milk brown top about an inch high sits on top with a lovely creamy rich denseness. Crown slowly percolates down to a whispy bubbled skim and the lacing is quite sticky and layered in sporatic thick webby curtains.

Oh my this is lovely! Wow, what a great aromatic display on this of bold, rich mocha java, sweet oats, chocolate, fudge, and loads of robust roastyness. Incredible little dollps of tangy prune and burnt molasses keep an almost sour undertone to it. Unfortunately it tends to mellow out and becomes less potent as it sits but still is a wonderment to let flood into the nasal aura.

The taste is the perfect carbon copy of the smell but set with much more adorned tones and length. Its heavy, rich, blanketing, and bakes long lasting flavors of big chocolate shavings covered on top of thick, fluffy Swedish french toast glazed with whipped buttered cream and molasses syrup. Sides with dark oatmeal cookie sweetness and is then followed with hardy coffee bean bitterness and milky dark chocolate bitterness, making this one hell'uva meal of a brew. Need I say more? De-fuckin'-licious!

Well rounded roast and bitterness creates a delicately silken full body. Unlimited amounts of roastified textures and darkly bittered chocolate/coffee delivers itself for eons across the playing field of the palate. Great oaty sweetness and mild sour pruneyness transcends underneath with an aloofingly amazing accuracy creating just enough balance to keep that roasty/bitter/burnt stuff from completely dominating. Satisfingly drinkable by leaps and bounds. Move over Bell's Java Stout...Breakfast is the first meal of the day.

...Actually, give me a couple bottles of this stuff any time of the day and I'll be a happy man. Very happy! Thanks tr!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

app: beautiful dark pour. black, and light in density but slick like black gold.. texas tea? dark mocha head dissipating quickly to a brown ring (eww) with various clusters around the edges (no, not dingleberries).

aroma: hershey's syrup and mild coffee notes. not daunting with bitterness but still complex and heavy. slight note of alcohol.

taste: super smooth mocha delight. some caramel and malt sweetness in the undertones. mouth-coating with a truly mild bready finish. some vanilla and green botanical hop bitterness in the end. surprisingly light and drinkable, showing its oatmeal side. super flavorful. would actually be understandable as a breakfast beverage for a beer freak (or michiganite)

3.68/5  rDev -18.4%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours an inky black opaque body with tiny bubbles clinging to the glass. The head is a thin creamy deep tan color.

S- The aroma is cold coffee, molasses, and a slight sour hint.

T- The taste has a big coffee flavor. It has the taste of coffee grounds and a slight creamy chocolate note. There is a nice hint of hop bitterness at the finish.

M- This has a thick creamy mouthfeel with no alcohol warmth.

D- This beer is a coffee monster. It has big coffee taste that taste a little like cold coffee or coffee grounds not so much like a cup of fresh brewed coffee. The chocolate notes are faint but nice. I would like to taste a bit more grain with this brew but very interesting indeed.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From a fresh bottle, notched April. Beautiful label art. And.... enjoyed for breakfast!

The Breakfast Stout pours an opaque black body beneath a creamy tan of brownish-tan foam that holds exceptionally well and leaves beautiful walls of thin lace throughout most of the glass.

The nose is bright and exciting with notes of coffee/espresso, nuts, roasted barley, dark chocolate, and (amazingly) oatmeal. It's enough to make me want a cup of mocha java!

In the mouth, it's full bodied and superbly creamy with just a delicate tingle upfront due to its moderate carbonation.

The flavor is even richer and fuller than the nose leads you to believe, with mouthcoating flavors of delicate fruit (strawberries, maraschino cherry); sweetened mocha java; darker-roasted espresso; dark chocolate; fudge brownies; cereal notes (from the oatmeal?); and some grassy and leafy hops - all backed by a solid, underlying bitterness that ushers in its long-lingering, roasty and bitter finish (that's not too unlike a cup of dark black coffee!).

Its complexity lies within its richness, meaning that what you percieve changes from sip to sip as opposed to a beer that presents its characteristics in some kind of order repeatedly throughout the glass.

The alcohol is never noticeable; and it's hard to restrain the acidity in a beer that offers this much dark and roasty malt, but it's perfectly balanced and quite drinkable!

Not unlike the World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head, this pushes the envelope and deserves credit just for that... but it also delivers as well!!! Brilliant!!!

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Finally, my chance to try the mighty breakfast stout, the beer of many adjectives...the double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout.

I almost thought there was chocolate syrup coming out of the bottle, it was so black and inky. It didn't form much of a head, but what was there was light brown in color. Powerful coffee aroma with a chocolate background. Nice and creamy in the mouth with a light fizz on the tongue.

The roasted coffee flavors stand out initially, with a bitter aftertaste that reminds me of dark chocolate (yum!). I can't quite detect where the oatmeal plays a role, but that may be due to my somewhat novice beer drinking status. After half the glass is gone, I start to appreciate it more (maybe the alcohol is helping, although the high content just blends in well with the flavors and doesn't jump out at me). A quality beer for slow comsumption.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance – Hahahaha! The pudgy Quaker Oats baby on the label just had me laughing my a** off. Sorry for the irrelevant remark, but that is some funny s**t!

Anyway, the beer pours a dark, murky brown that’s almost black in color. The head is heavily-tanned and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell – The nose is very, very bitter and laden with spent coffee grounds along with baker’s chocolate and maybe a pinch of brown sugar. Man, is this a good smell. It’s not roasted malts but more like pure used coffee.

Taste – This tastes as good as it smells. It is very dry and bitter and, again, like a mouth full of coffee grounds but without the granular texture. There is a bit of milky cream in the taste that I missed at the nose. It truly is a stout for breakfast and, seriously, would taste well over cereal.

It also reminds me of a “chocolate martini”, if you’ve ever had one of those. This really is quality all the way. It’s not malty at all and is in a class all by itself.

Mouthfeel – This is on the large side of medium-bodied, but still medium-bodied, with a nice creaminess in between the cheeks. I really enjoyed the fact that it didn’t finish with a sugar rush like some examples of the “breakfast stout” style.

Drinkability – This is not one to guzzle or session but more to sip on like I do with my morning coffee. It’s one of the better stouts that I’ve had.

Comments – Big thanks to one of my favorite trading partners, garthwaite, for sending this one my way.

4.79/5  rDev +6.2%

Inky black and completely opaque with a light brown, thin lace of head. Good retention and lacing. The aroma consists of coffee, nutty roasted malts, and bitter dark chocolate. A light smell of dark fruits and a hint of alcohol are also present. The flavour starts malty and sweet, big and roasted with plenty of coffee, and just gets better from there. Bitterness comes from both hops and the roasted malts, and carries through right to the finish. Plenty of chocolate as well. There's a hint of hop flavour that shows up towards the end, which finishes with a medium sweetness but still slightly dry from the grain. Viscous, full body with a smooth, creamy texture. Moderately low carbonation that allows all the flavours to stand front and centre. The alcohol is hidden very well. All of this makes this beer highly drinkable and exceedingly enjoyable.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

courtesy of crjmellor

poured witha black body and a thick dense dark chocolate head that fades to a skim. oily aroma of oats, with some coffee and a rich chocolate with more oily undertones. smooth thick lush mouthfeel and a dense body rich velvetly choc. and a smooth oily texture...not much coffee in the taste. very very drinkable...seak this out in mass quantities!!

4.42/5  rDev -2%

Pours like I just opened the oil drain plug in my car - thick and a dark brownish black in color. Head develops and grows after beer remains in glass, very dense. A small bed of liquid floats on top of the thick foam. A very nice appearance and show in the pour. Aroma is wonderful - like a chilled chocolate syrup. Taste is of roasted coffee, chocolate, and grains. Very smooth in mouthfeel. Creamy and smooth in taste. Boy, this goes down easy with such a high ABV. Glad I finally reviewed this one in my own backyard. The taste doesn't quite warrant the high ratings in other categories. Still a very good beer.

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Thanks to GeoffFromSJ for trading me for this great brew.

It's my birthday, so I figured, how better to start my day than with the Breakfast Stout. So before noon I cracked open this bottle. As you can see from the image, there's a scary child on the label, but that didn't disuade me. The label says "Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout" sounded pretty promising.

I poured it into my pint glass and it gave a solid 1 inch head (vigerous pour) which was mud colored. Quite pretty actually. Smelled richly of coffee and hints of chocolate. Very malty smell.

After the head settled a little bit, I took my first swig. Overwhealming coffee flavors. Hints of oatmeal and barley. Sweet, but not overly sweet. Very well balanced. Mild bitterness, similar to a cup of cold coffee. I can see why they called this a breakfast stout.

Overall I enjoyed this beer, but I don't really feel that it deserves all the praise that it gets. It's a great great beer, don't get my wrong, but other stouts such as Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout and North Coast's Old Rasputin are much better in my opinion.

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanx to Walleye for this one! I am sampling a 12 oz bottle at room temp in a snifter.
The beer pours an impressive pitch black color with brown, not tan fluffy, creamy head foaming up to 2 cm easily.
The aroma is rich and malty with chocolate, espresso bean, and some grainy scents mixing with just a faint wisp of earthy hops.
Slow swirls allow the beer to leave tight lattice along the edges of the glass.
First sip reveals a soft creamy texture with mild gentle carbonation that caresses my tongue and cheeks. The beer is amazingly silky smooth.
Flavor starts with a brief hit of chocolate sweetness and some brown sugar as well. This rolls through the finish, but after the swallow I am left with a bitter coffee presence in my mouth that is slightly drying as well. I do detect a faint warming in my chest after each swallow as well, but otherwise I dont get much hint of teh 8.3% abv anywhere.
A very well crafted brew, if it is this smooth in a bottle, I can only imagine how nectaresque the brew would be in cask....

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours black in color with a brown head. Aroma consists of sweet milk chocolate & powdered cocoa, molasses, grain, roasted barley and expresso coffee. Thick, chewy mouthfeel. Flavors abound with those of dark roasted coffee, molasses and roasted malt. Frech roast coffee and expresso flavors treat the tongue. Some hop bitterness emerges toward the back.

For a stout and coffee lover this is a must have beer. It's a little heavy overall and on the alchohol, but so be it. This is one that's meant to truly be savored. It's THAT good.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Oh man. Pours a very opaque black, thick and oily looking, small tan head and copious lacing. The smell is heavenly, and you get what they tell you. Oatmeal, bitter coffee, bitter chocolate and some faint hops. The taste is stellar, rich coffee and cream, bitter chocolate and some hops come through near the end. The mouthfeel is very full and creamy, the alcohol is not sensed at all. Very amazing, I would drink this for breakfast. Thanks DrJay.

4.72/5  rDev +4.7%

Short, dense, dark cocoa colored head leaves patches and strings of lace. Wow, it really does smell like coffee! There's also a bit of that dark malt aroma, a bit of cocoa, and maybe creamy vanilla underneath. Yep it's pitch black, with a ruby hue around the edge if you hold it to the light just right. Mouthfeel is soft, and full of fine carbonation. All kinds of stuff going on in the flavor. There's some bitter coffee and cocoa up front mixed with some creamy yeastyness. Towards the end there's some vinuous notes, and some of that dry dark malt bitterness. I ain't no expert, but I'd have to say this is one complex beer. Thanks malty!

4.37/5  rDev -3.1%

I've been waiting on this one for a good long time. It did not disappoint! Talk about a meal in a glass!

Pours an extremely thick black with a thin dark tan head that left a crown all throughout the glass. Nose is noticably hoppy moreso that I was ever expecting. Also reminds me vaguely of cereal somehow. Taste is very smooth and slick, oatmeal, roast, coffee, unsweetened raw cocoa, very nice. This also hides it's alcohol very well, very smooth and appealing. Very filling! You seriously could drink this for breakfast! Not overly sweet, but very malty and well balanced.

Talk about a staple beer, you could live off of this stuff!

Slàinte!

4.33/5  rDev -4%

Picked up a four pack when this treat finally made it's way to Indy. I had heard so many good things and I wasn't disappointed in the least. I poured into a room temp Purdue pint glass that enhances ever beer. I took about 30 minutes to finish up the first one to see how much the taste changes with the rising temps.

Appearance: Jet black without a hint of color shining through. Small head that probably measured a quarter inch or less.

Smell: This is what a double chocolate, coffee oatmeal stout should smell like. Not that I have ever smelled one previously, but no disappointment. I could easily pick out the coffee and chocolate overtones in the nose.

Taste: Really nice taste when it first hit the pallet. I will be honest that it wasn't exactly what I smelled, but still nice. I was expecting more of a overwhelming hit of roasted coffee, but it was more mild than that. Not necessarily bad though.

Mouthfeel: Smooth is the word that popped into my head. Definitely not a overwhelming alcohol taste, which was surprising with the 8.3 ABV.

Drinkability: Definitely could have had the whole four pack, but I stopped on 2 and will save the rest for another lucky day.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Finally, I have found the elusive Breakfast Stout....

As I eagerly decant this 12oz bottle, I am greeted by an opaque black beauty of a stout. No light passes through this bad boy, and it is capped by a brown cappacino colored head. Incredibly potent aroma blesses my senses. The nose is dominated by fresh roasted gourmet coffee, and enhanced by bitter chocolate and lots of roasted grain. Taste is oh so wonderful. Smooth dark malts begin the experience, with roasted grain and chocolate malt becoming more apparent. Unsweetened dark chocolate comes in and blends with the black coffee. Very subtle oats and slight charcoal make a quick appearance. The finish is great - big on the roasted grain and coffee, leaving an aftertaste that stays around til the cows come home. Between sips, I am left in awe of this wonderful flavor that has graced my palate. Truly a great offering from Founders.

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Liquid devil's food cake. This may be the first beer I've ever seen that has no highlights. The liquid crowds the edges of the glass so snugly, and with such menace, that light dare not attempt to get a foothold. Most impressive. The dark golden, milk chocolate crown is a beast. It squats with an equally forbidding countenance in the top quarter of the glass, daring any lovers of fizzy yellow beer to approach, much less take a sip.

The nose is huge and is redolent of crushed coffee beans and melted dark chocolate. And then some more coffee beans. And then some more. This has to be the most coffee-dominant nose in the known universe. At least in my known universe. I am not a coffee aficionado by any means, but I have to give the aroma the respect it deserves. If I loved coffee, this might be my Holy Grail of beer noses.

Incredible palate-busting flavor. Thankfully, bittersweet chocolate is equally as prominent as espresso. So much so that the beer tastes like dark chocolate fudge made with black coffee as the liquid ingredient. I knew that Founders wouldn't disappoint in the hop department. The citric hops play an integral role in turning Breakfast Stout from what could have been an (admittedly incredible) two-trick pony into a three-trick thoroughbred. They deepen the flavor profile even further and firmly place this beer into the pantheon of Great Beer.

Sweet and bitter vie for supremacy, with bitter winning in the end. The finish is more than long, it's downright obstinate. Seemingly interminable echoes of chocolate-coffee/coffee-chocolate reverberate long after the beer has met its glorious fate in my warming belly. The body/mouthfeel is big, yet doesn't make it all the way to viscous or chewy. Still though, it's incredibly smooth and creamy and is sheer joy in the mouth. 8.3% ABV? Surely they jest. There is no hint of ethanol to be had.

FBS deserves its reputation and then some. My preferences run to the less java-intensive, but then it wouldn't be a breakfast stout, would it? This brewery continues to delight and amaze with quality beer after quality beer. Breakfast Stout is an outstanding achievement by any measure. Thanks to TikkiGodxxx for the bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from an undated 12oz twist top into a pint glass.

Black with a small light brown head that falls to a thin foam with a heavy ring that leaves globs and sheets of foam as it falls.

Smells of expensive coffee with a touch of dark chocolate. Smells awesome, but is this stuff gonna keep me up all night?

Tastes like a perfect match of great coffee, and dark beer. All things roasted and a dry finish that makes for a very robust and well rounded beer. The alcohol is well hidden.

Great, full mouthfeel. Not oily, but slightly chewy. Doesn't go down rough, but you get a tasty mouthfull with each sip.

An excellent brew.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black with a big moch colored head that was big and fluffy leaving globs of lace behind,oh man the aromas malted milk and milk chocolate.Oh man the creamy mouthfeel is sublime and the textured flavors of milk chocolate and malted milk go hand and hand with the texture of this beer.The alcohol content does not come into play at all with this beer making it easy to drink for the alc% content.Damn fine beer Iam bringing alot more down south with me.

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pitch black (opaque), viscous, and thick as hell, liquid with a towering dark coffee colored foaming head. Excellent retention and plenty of stick to the glass.

Incredible nose of roasted coffee and rich chocolate with a pleasing acrid edge.

Massive, full-bodied, velvety smooth, viscous, thick and chewy feel on the palate - thanks to the oatmeal, in part. Roasted malt astringent twang, with some hoppy character mingled in – some herbal spice and leaf. Bitter chocolate. Plenty of coffee flavors with an acidic bite, silky milk chocolate character soothes. Oak-y. Molasses notes. Stodgy cooked oatmeal in the flavor. Hints of sherry in the warming alcohol, with a low spice. Finish lingers with a play on sweet malts and dry, bitter savories. Sweet alcohol burn becomes part of the linger as the beer warms.

Breakfast Stout? Hell yeah! That’s when I tried my sample! What a way to kick-off my morning. Quite possibly one of the most interesting American Double Stouts on planet Earth. Absolutely delicious.

(Enjoyed over the course of :30 mins to allow all of the nuances to pull through as the beer warmed to room temp - I highly recommend this.)

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company