Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,719 | Ratings: 16,075
4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

My 400th review.

A pair of bottles, as shown, courtesy of shbobdb: one from 2005 and one from 2007. Side-by-side.

Upon pouring, the difference was obvious: the 2005 produced a huge head -- I couldn't get the whole 12-ounce bottle into my pint glass -- while the 2007 produced only a small cap. Both left ample lacing, however, bespeaking a pretty thick beer. Both had absolutely opaque brown-black body. Head was the same color: dark tan-yellow and tight.

The foundational aroma was pretty much the same for both: espresso, molasses, hoar-hound drop, rich oatmeal-cookie-dough. The 2007 had a sharper smell, however, with more citrus and pine hops evident, and a bit of ripe olive. The 2005 was notably more mellow, with softer and sweeter chocolate in evidence.

Taste was a bit of a let-down for both. Not as strong as the aroma. Espresso was there, along with molasses, and mild chocolate. The 2007 naturally had more hop presence than the 2005, but very little rich-oatmeal-cookie dough. The 2005 was much smoother.

Mouthfeel was also thinner than I was expecting for both, with the 2005 being marginally richer than the 2007.

Drinkability was good on both.

Overall, a worthy beer for review #400. Not nearly as good as the Kentucky Breakfast Stout, but still pretty fine. Thanks again to shbobdb for the mini-vertical. Fascinating experience.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Pitch black. Chocolate-colored head fades to a long-lasting ring.

Smells strongly of coffee, dark chocolate, and burned wood.

I am not a coffee drinker, but this is nice. Dark chocolate, coffee, wood, and burned wood. A delicious stout.

Silky mouthfeel coats the mouth a bit, and furthers the impression of a finely-crafted brew.

Wow, this is a nice beer.

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer exploded out of the bottle. Could only pour half of the beer in the glass due to the HUGE head. Pours black with that huge brown head. Tons of lacing. Great head retention...like a brown marshmellow sitting on top. Amazing to look at.

Aroma of dark chocolate and coffee. Certain sweetness comes through.

Taste is of chocolate and coffee. Light bitterness. Very tasty combo. Light bitterness at the end. Some sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, cleansing, smooth and creamy.

Overall, an outstanding beer. Very drinkable and delicious.

3.92/5  rDev -12.3%

A - Dark as night. thick head dissipated after a minute or two

S - Smell's strong of coffee. Roasted Barley.

T - Roasted Barley, bitter Coffee, Caramel, light hoppy flavor

M - Coats well good beginning carbonation head settles quickly,

D - I feel its too much for more than drinking a bottle at a time. Love the beer. Great beer, I feel its over powering and abit too much drink more than one.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Black as night. Thin light brown head. Leaves a thin lacing.

S: Roasty. Coffee. A litttle malty.

T: More coffee but not as strong as you'd expect. Baker's chocolate. Lingering bitterness at the end. A little nutty as well.

M: Slight fizz at the beginning but still a little creamy.

D: More please. Delectable. My only regret is that I didn't have it for breakfast. I could drink this at anytime.

3.91/5  rDev -12.5%

Into a tulip. Served at cellar temp. 2008.

A - 2 finger tan head, super black with ruby twinges wherever light can think about passing through. Tons of lacing.

S - Stale coffee. Slight hints of chocolate. That's about it.

T - More stale coffee, light coffee, slight bittersweet chocolate, powdered cocoa, slightly bitter coffee finish.

M - Creamy, thick, medium carbonation.

D - Pretty nice in the drinkability dept. It goes down easy, but it's also pretty unremarkable. I'm sorta dissapointed in this years batch.

Notes: 2008 is like FBS-light. The 2007 that I've had recently is pretty much double this, at least in terms of flavor and smell. While this isn't a bad brew at all, the 2008 just doesn't hold a candle to last years batch.

Sadder than that is the fact that, numbers wise, I rated DOAB quite similarly, when DOAB beats this with a stick. Fuck that, an aluminum baseball bat. On fire.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12-oz bottle

A: Pours a thick black-brown, with an orange-brown head that laces well. When swirled, the brew actually clings to the glass and stains it.

S: Rich sweet aromas of chocolate and coffee for sure, as well as cinnamon. Delicious.

T: This is a damn good stout. Malty chocolate initially, finished with bold coffee bitterness. The taste lingers around, mellowing out the bitterness.

M: Light carbonation allows for full absorption of all the rich flavor.

D: A heavy hitter, though the coffee adds a little caffeine kick. Probably 2 or 3 would do me right, but a little expensive as well.

So far, probably my favorite stout I've tried, I'm more of a Pale Ale and IPA drinker, but I'll down this anytime.

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

12-ounce cellar-cool twist-off topped stubby, poured into a large tulip glass, yields an opaque brown-black body with a cap of fine-bubbled mocha foam. Held against the growing morning sunlight, not a single solar photon penetrates the edges of the elixir, and the head recedes slowly into a thick sheet that leaves swatches of lacing on the glass.

The smell of the drink is potent and roasty, with acrid burnt notes, winey, dark roasted black coffee, dry black malt, and an undertone of baker's chocolate. Black coffee smells less coffee-like than Founder's Breakfast Stout does.

The taste is sweetly malty with dark, powdery cocoa and oily espresso. Husky oatmeal provides heft to the body, even as tangy notes of burnt barley and fine coffee bitterness play off the soft malty backbone, smacking it to the side, eventually dominating the drink. Sweeter, softer, and more mocha-milk-chocolatey as the drink warms.

Breakfast Stout is silky-smooth and full-bodied with light carbonation and the feel of a cool café au lait with just a bit of hearty grittiness from the oats. Succulent.

After waiting so long for Founders to arrive here in NC, I must admit my expectations for the goodness of this so-called 'Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout' were most likely unrealistically high... but the funny thing is that this big fat coffee-bomb of a brew happily blew those high-hopes and pie-in-the-sky expectations away. Outstanding drinkability. The penultimate brunch beer!

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz received in my recent trade with aqsprint... huge thanks Jon. Poured into my Boulevard Smokestack goblet.

beautiful dark brown frothy head... the pour was also very pretty with a nice reverse cascade going on... brew is of course black.

aroma is rich coffee and a little bit of chocolate... doesn't smell overly burnt, which I like.. sooo good.

massive amount of coffee flavor helped out immensely by a smooth velvety mouthfeel.. a little acidic from the coffee but doesn't distract too much... creamy.. a little bit of sweetness ties it all together and more chocolate comes out as it nears room temperature... this brew is very very good. I know I've had it once before, but this is a sipper and one to savor... I've got to get some more.

Jon thanks a bunch, a proper trader for sure.

4.5's and worth it.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

I poured this beer right down the center of the glass, there was a little head that disappears quickly. This stuff is THICK. This is my second one today, I let this one warm up to room temperature and I am very glad I did. Smell is huge coffee and chocolate. Taste is huge coffee flavor and chocolate. The mouthfeel is super thick and creamy which might be my favorite part of this beer. Drinkability is huge for such a high ABV brew. An all around excellent beer!

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Been waiting to try this. Long day ends, and this bad boy opens.

Aggressive pour yields a cute little beige head. This stuff looks thick as hell. Oh yeah, it's black.

Big, big coffee scent. Big chocolate scent. Very nice.

Wow, big, big coffee flavor. Like straight coffee beans. Chocolate flavor is lagging far behind the coffee stampede.

This stuff IS thick as hell. One of the thickest brews I've had the pleasure to have in my limited career.

Very, very smooth. Drinkability is ridiculous. I could literally have six of these. This is one good ass beer.

Overall: any-friggin-time

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to mikesgroove for including this extra off my wants list.

Pours a dark dark brown/black color with no light being able to penetrate, small head that fades fast and no lacing.

Smell is fairly complex but it's the coffee aspect that takes the lead, strong roasted presence.

Taste is a rush of coffee with a roasted bitter aftertaste, not as strong as the KBS since this beer has less of a burning in the mouth, chocolate is slightly noticeable but I would have preferred a bigger role.

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%

08' Bottle (Represents Numbers above)

A- Black thick color, minimal lacing

S- fresh coffee, mocha, chocolates

T- Starts out with a fresh coffee, loads of dark bakers chocolate which lasts for quite a while on the finish.

M- Silky smooth loads of coffee.

D- Extremely drinkable!

06' Bottle

(5) A- Very dark brown head, black body, nice lacing and retention.

(4.5)S- Nice dry coffee, green olive, dry chocolate, loads of roasted malt

(4.5)T- Starts with a nice dry chocolate and dark coffee then has a slight green olive component. The finish is dry chocolate and some residual coffee all covered in a light dry hop.

(4.5)M- Low carb is nice. Great mouthfeel.

(4)D- This is the perfect fall/winter beer. It's not a monster with the ABV making it drinkable without getting to goofy. This is an excellent AIS. i will definitely seek out more!

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Got this at A-Wines up in Inman Square in Cambridge. It was the day before my birthday so when I saw it I knew I needed to just take the plunge and spend the money on it.

Opened the first bottle the morning of my birthday to enjoy a breakfast stout with breakfast before classes. With small sips it tastes just like a mocha coffee but with larger tastes it gets more complex. It starts out sweet, almost like a milk stout, then transitions slowly to a rich, bitter coffee flavor. The coffee aftertaste is ridiculous, like I'm still drinking the beer. Overall the beer is one of my favorites I've ever tasted (can't say it's one of my favorite beers though, it's too scarce in MA to say that). I count myself lucky that I decided to buy the 4 pack, can't wait to have more.

Now I just need to get my hands on a Kentucky Breakfast Stout...

So excited when I saw this in Charles St. Liquors. $14.50 for 4 pack yikes!

Poured in a tulip. thick with a dark brown head that only has a short stay before falling. Smell alone is intoxicating..Coffee, chocolate, and a big hop punch.

First taste is complicated...it swirls around your mouth hinting at all it has to offer. Chocolate first a creamy hop second and a nice burst of coffee in the aftertaste.

Drinkability is good for the style.

I see why this brew has a following it does. Well done Founders.

As a former Midwesterner, I've had my share of Founders. Everything they brew is amazing. Even when I moved to Seattle -- one of the great beer spots in the US -- I missed it. Breakfast Stout is a big reason why. And now I have my hands on it again.

I won't go beer nerd on you. I will just tell you this beer is outstanding. It's exactly what it says it is: a Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal Stout. And it's perfect. Not too much of anything. Easily the best stout I've ever had. It's just as good in the bottle as I remember it from the source.

Stout lovers, get this beer... at any cost.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this on-tap at Armsby's Abbey in Worcester, MA.

This is one of 2 beer's I've given perfect 5's to (in addition to Nugget Nectar), so I was psyched to try it on tap. The key difference to me was that it was quite a bit hoppier on tap, and the coffee was not quite as strong. Coffee was still there, for sure, but didn't seem quite as prominent as the fresh, bottled version. I liked the increased hoppiness, but overall I didn't like it quite as much as the bottled version. Still incredibly smooth and drinkable, and an amazing beer.

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

An opaque body that allows no light through with about a finger of bubbly brown head. Leaves some good lacing but not a ton of retention.

Some sweetness in the smell along with bitter chocolate and coffee.

Up front the taste is full of coffee and bitter chocolate with lots of sweetness from the oats in the middle more chocolate in the end. Not boozy at all. Well balance.

Really nice mouthfeel, thick and creamy.

I can't pick up on any alcohol at all in here, which makes its rather drinkable for its ABV. Good beer.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a black color and a thick, light-absorbing texture. Only had about a quarter inch of head, but there was good lacing.

S: Big, big coffee aroma, along with malt and chocolate.

T: Like the smell, the taste was fairly big. Coffee, chocolate, malt, a little hops and a sugary presence. Not overly complex, but definitely pleasing to the palate.

M: A high level of carbonation and a somewhat slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is an excellent beer. It's robust, as a stout should be and it goes down easy. Very good.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured this beer from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter.

A- the complexion of this beer was dark black with absolutely no visibility; after the pour a mocha-colored head appeared that quickly dissipated after a few seconds; a constant thin layer of mocha head remained as the beer was consumed and laced the sides of snifter.

S- the initial smell is dominated by bitter roasted coffee beans followed by a hint of sweetness.

T- like the smell, roasted coffee beans dominate. As it goes down there is a subtle taste of sweet mocha that follows.

M- very deceptive; the dark complexion makes it seem as if the beer will be thick; to my surprise the beer was thinner and smooth in texture, almost like an iced coffee; little to no carbonation.

D- I will admit, I am not a stout drinker. however, this beer is quite delicious and I can probably manage to drink 2 of these in a sitting based on taste alone.

Overall, it is a quality beer. Like I said, I am not a stout drinker (more of a hop head), but I could definitely see why people would enjoy this. Really looking forward to getting a hold of the Kentucky edition.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

My first from Founders and I'm excited to try it.

Breakfast Stout pours out a dark black devoid of light. A mocha colored head grows from the darkness as I pour it into my glass and eventually settles to a whisper of a collar.

Smells both bitter and sweet. Baking chocolate, roasted malts, espresso beans, and burnt sugar.

My initial impression is, Wow! lots of coffee. The feel is thinner than expected, but smooth and milky. Intensely roasted bitterness, but underneath runs a sweet chocolate malt flavor. I was hoping for greater depth, complexity and a more full feel.

Very drinkable as the alcohol is nowhere is the scent or taste, but found in the growing warmth of my chest. I would enjoy this quite a bit post breakfast.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Enjoyed on tap at Capone's.

Poured a thick deep black with 2 fingers of creamy burnt tan head. Great retention and beautiful lacing notches all the way down. Smells of coffee, milk chocolate, roasted malt, molasses, oats, and some alcohol but not much. Tastes of molasses, roasted malt and oatmeal, coffee, chocolate syrup, espresso beans, and slight sherry notes. Full bodied with good carbonation. Smooth and creamy with great balance of bitter and sweet. Definitely a beer I can't pass up if I find it on tap. No matter what style I'm in the mood for, there's always time for breakfast!

3.47/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a very deep black color with a very thin layer of initial, tan head that goes away quickly, and it also has very little lacing. Nice scent, the chocolate dominates, although there is a nice hint of coffee, although with very little burnt grain scent and a near undetectable (barely there) oatmeal scent. Very nice flavor, the different pieces come together very well, with chocolate on top, a nice coffee kick, followed by the oatmeal sweetness; I personally find it hard to think the flavors can completely mesh, but this did a good job of it. This beer is also very smooth and silky, very nice and barely rough from the relatively high ABV.

To be honest there are better stouts out there that you can get year around and are cheaper, but it's still well worth the try, even at its higher cost.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz stubby brown bottle, poured into a brandy snifter.

A: Pours that standard, jet black, inky dark, midnight on a moonless night kind of deal that is pretty much standard for imperial stouts. The viscosity seems a bit low, coming out of the bottle at least, but picks up a bit when I swirll it around in the glass and after ever sip as the liquid slowly sinks down to join the rest of the beer. Long story short, this beer has some decent legs. Head forms quick and thick, a good half inch of mocha colored, pillowy soft bubbles. However, the head fades down into a cap not long after, but still manages to leave behind some spotty lacing. Not bad, but certainly not great, I've seen stouts much larger than this still manage to muster up some considerable retention and lacing that far outpaces what is being offered up here. Still though the overall presentation is beguiling.

S: In a word: dry. Dry, mildly floral hoppiness, coupled with cold pressed coffee grounds, bitter chocolate and a suprisingly sweet milkiness, which becomes more pronouced as the beer warms.

T/MF: While I think Peche Mortel has this one beat on taste and feel, Breakfast Stout does not dissapoint. It brings the coffee like not many other stouts can, while still retaining a good deal of complexity. There is coffee here and lots of it, but there is also tobacoo and licorice. This beer is also a great deal drier than other coffee stouts I've come across, not nearly as dry as Beer Geek Breakfast, but dry and constricting nonetheless. While this is not a bad thing, it is also not an entirely good thing as it detracts just a bit from the mouthfeel, which feels chalky at times, and the puckering of the taste buds covers up an otherwise complex beer.

D: An easy sipper, a real joy to drink. Goes great with a football game at night and no work the next morning. Makes for a very relaxing drinking experience, something that other beers seem to lack at times. That is to say, this is a beer that makes you want to take your time, makes you want to hold on and get everything you can out of it before the bottle is gone.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Fall 2008 installment into trusty Alpine mug...

Pours a molasses/motor oil black. Head is very thin and colored like brown sugar and cinnamon with little staying power. Still this looks formidable.

The coffee and bittersweet chocolate dominate with a little oatmeal and mega-roasted malt texture. Hop grass complements nicely.

Very complex texture of deep-roasted malt, coffee and natural, unsweetened chocolate. Chocolate further syncs up with a mild oatmeal texture to provide an austere and dry but painfully compelling stout profile.

There's nothing, I repeat...NOTHING bad about the mouthfeel on this one. Rich yet dry and even clean for something so huge. Full finish gives off a little oatmeal chocolate chip sweetness. Definitely Beautiful Chemistry working here.

Having said all that, this is definitely a sipper. I can't wait to pair this up with a big, fat charred steak...and some brownies...and a...

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company