Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,476 |  Reviews: 3,804

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

3.69/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I LOVE stouts. I'm not, however, quite sure why this beer is rated so highly. I absolutely love other Founders offerings, but this one falls short... maybe it was just high expectations. The first bottle I had, I thought maybe was just bad luck - maybe it was served too cold, maybe it was too fresh or too old.... but the second bottle was cared for perfectly and tasted exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer, just not in my top 10... or 20... or maybe even 30.

A - Looks gorgeous. Perfect shade of brown/black. Just dark with a fluffy, creamy, tan-colored head (about a finger and a half or so).

S - Coffee and chocolate are obvious. Both bright and dark berries/cherries in the mix as well. Definitely smells like breakfast.

T - Huh? But it looked so beautiful and smelled so good. First thing I notice: the water. Water? I was expecting the beer to take over, but it tasted a little watered down. Chocolate and coffee were apparent. Espresso and earthy minerals as well - had that Guinness metallic taste to it. I'm told the metallic taste is a characteristic of bad water, but I am particularly sensitive to its taste. Dark, ripe berries are hidden a little, but there.

M - Feels light - almost like a session ale, but it finishes nice and creamy. Doesn't coat my mouth too much, but feels good.

O - I was a little let down by this beer. Not once, but twice. It IS certainly good - just not 100 rating good. I'll wait for KBS to obtain a Founders stout. Until then, I think I'd stick with a Speedway Stout over this, any day.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a couple bottles of this and finally tried it. This beer is great! Founders really knows how to make stouts. It was a treat to drink this alongside Kbs and bcbcs and this came in second for me behind bcbcs. A solid offering that I will need to get more of and save.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company