Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#90

Ratings: 16,689 |  Reviews: 3,844
4.54/5  rDev +0.7%

This is a big one: Founders Breakfast Stout. I've been told about it, heard rumours, news reports on CCN/BBC and Chinese whispers about the greatness of this beer, so much so that I was shocked to see it sitting quietly on a shelf in The Archive next door cellars... I had to have it and review it immediately, and here faithful reader(s) we are *sniff*.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into the sacred Chimay chalice, sorry the simple nonic pint was too lowly to behold this brew.

A: Black as Satan's publicist (hey Satan is an equal opportunity lord of terror) this brew presents with a Texas tea coloured body (that's oil son!) and no head, just a ring of tan lace around the edge, mmm.

S: Cant really smell anything apart from that Kona coffee bean, this literally has the aroma of a cold press coffee, delicious but one-dimensional (sorry Founders). I even agitated the hell out of it with anecdotes about my day, but nothing/nada/zip - just Kona cold press coffee.

T: Holy shit this beer rocks. The taste is like the richest coffee flavour my tongue has ever encountered. There are notes of roast chicory, dark chocolate and earthy/herbal hops impart a bitter finish. Damn this is tasty. Something about it keeps me sipping on it, it's difficult to put down. There is some smokiness in there as well. Maybe a hint of prune... I can't stop sipping!

M: First thought that springs to mind is "Man my tongue is totally coated in sticky coffee goodness". Heavy bodied and smooth, Marvin Gaye smooth. The viscosity is one of the most remarkable parts of this brew - it's soooo chewy and sticky, like a coffee Stout flavoured honey.

D: Wait I'm not done praising this beer yet; it gets better as it gets warmer, more flavours come out of the wood works - hints of brandy with some rich toffee too. That is truly a sign of a great beer: it gets better as it gets warmer. Which is why the English drink their beers at room temperature. I think I've found it - the best Stout ever. Period.

Food match: They call it a breakfast Stout but I think it is more a dessert Stout, our an after-dinner cigar Stout. Or even a screw-eating-just-main-line-it-into-my-arm-with-an-IV Stout, and if that's a mouth-full so is this brew.

3.25/5  rDev -27.9%

4.31/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked a four-pack up from the store last week only to find out it was bottled 18 month ago -- 8/2/12. I believe this will be my first "aged" FBS experience.

Really nice concentrated syrupy nose that oozes black licorice, chocolate, cherry and black coffee. Serious dark fruit presence. This one is old enough where there's not much hops left on the nose, instead it's much sweeter than I recall.

Taste has also been transformed a bit, with a healthy amount of sweetness to balance the roasty, bitter coffee and hops. Nice dry notes of black coffee balanced by black cherries and chocolate, also a touch of fennel. This beer still has that x factor -- some sort of bitter umami -- that keeps you coming back for more and more.

Mouthfeel is on the light side for an imperial stout but coats the palate nicely with its sweetness and leaves a dry, almost chalky finish. Nice.

Overall, it's amazing what a year and a half has done to this beer. I sort of miss the big hop bitterness, but the dark fruit sweetness is a nice replacement. Coffee remains either way. I've made an effort to judge this beer based on both the current bottle in front of me and my memory of fresh tastings. It's one of the world's great beers any way you look at it.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I will preface this by saying, I am not a fanatic of stouts, but this one kind of blew me away. Its got everything you want, but not too much of those things. I have had so called coffee stouts and chocolate stouts that were supposed to be sublime and I thought they just were repugnant. But this one is not that way. I really liked this one. That doesn't mean that I would abandon my IPA's for this, but, every once in a while this one is nice to shake things up.

Appearance: Black as night, no light coming through that I could detect. I poured it with a medium aggressiveness but the head remained pretty much the same about a half an inch or maybe a bit less.

Smell: Not a strong burst of coffee or that nasty licorice but some chocolate and malty notes, sweet but not overly cloying.

Taste: I really enjoyed the flavor profile,that was my favorite part really, It had a bit of that Manhattan Special thing going on, but not as sweet. Chocolate was there but in a mild cocoa form, no syrupy sweet molasses or anise flavors, which I really liked about this one. I could see how you could drink this one for breakfast, but a few of these and by lunch you would be taking a nap.

Overall: This is a very well made stout and one I enjoyed thoroughly. If you like stouts this is one to seek out.

4.81/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into glass from bottle. Very dark. Almost black color. Cant see through it when put up to a light. A nice amount of tan foam on top. Has a smokey smell at first with the chocolate and coffee coming through. The aroma is terrific. Also get the great chocolate/coffee taste. Not a lot of carbonation or bitterness. Goes down nice and smooth. Overall this is a great stout. Will be purchasing it again.

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours nearly black in color, with an attractive medium-brown head. Aromas and flavors of coffee and chocolate with a light smokiness and a little booze. Beautifully thick and a little creamy on the palate. Leaves a fabulous combination of chocolate and coffee taste coating your mouth. Had this one with breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company