Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,513 |  Reviews: 3,810
4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a dark brown with a foamy off-white head. Strong, satisfying taste from start to finish that leaves you wanting more. Feels full-bodied and smooth, with a semi-sweet chocolate taste at the start and a tasty coffee finish that lingers long after you drink it.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%

I really like this beer although it is not my favorite, as in I don't want more. Possibly because it is a bitter dark beer and recently I have been falling out of love with stouts and porters, possibly because the whole craft beer palate is moving along onto new pastures. Call me a band wagoner or a migrating bird, but stouts and porters are losing real estate in my fridge.

That said, I did taste the outstanding coffee, Kona and Sumatra, very distinctive. Also, I tasted the chocolate, and felt the acidity of dark chocolate. If you ask me, on the other hand, about the oatmeal, I just didn't taste it.

This stout is thick, but not syrupy, not very carbonated, and very fragrant. It is a great beer, but like I said, I'm moving on.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.86/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Friend brought back a bottle from N. Carolina

12 oz bottle

smells like a nice chocolate stout.

small head with lacing the quickly fades away

taste. well balanced beer. this is a quality brew that has a nice balance of chocolate, oatmeal, burnt sugar, and a very nice "stout" taste. for the ABV, it is extremely drinkable and one that would be nice to have around more ofter (no distro to Oregon).

Although I really enjoyed this beer, the hype and praise is nowhere near what this beer delivered. Quite basic and the depth is nowhere near many other stouts, especially barrel aged stouts. During a month where I had 2012 Parabola, Old Raspy XV, Berserker, Black Butte XXIII, 2010 Abyss, 2012 Black Tuesday, etc. This beer isnt even close when it comes to depth, mouthfeel, complexity, etc. If it was available at my store, I would probably drink this a lot because of the price point and the quality it delivers, but from a 1-100 rating it just does not stand up to the barrel aged big boys. Id give it a solid 80/100

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance is a motor oil black with a nice tan head, very nice.

Smell is strong roasted coffee and chocolate, straight forward but strong!

Taste is so good, just as the nose taste is strong roasted coffee, malts, a bit of vanilla, oats and bitter creamy chocolate, some woody smoke. One of the best, or probably the best tasting beer I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, nice very full bodied thick and creamy beer.

Overall, to me this beer is perfect for me...such a well balanced great tasting brew. I'm giving this all 5's across the board.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company