Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,547 |  Reviews: 3,815
4.87/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delicious hints of coffee, oat, chocolate, very rich full bodied creamy. On the first sip the chocolate and roasted coffee become very present followed by oats and smooth roasted malts on the backbone. Extremely smooth and easy drinking stout for 8% ABV, an all time favorite and go too in my book!

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Rarely do I see something talked about as much as this beer and do I think it deserves the hype. This one takes the cake. It is cake. It is a chocolatey delicious coffee yummy amazing I probably WILL have one for breakfast tomorrow cake. Recently I saw a thread on "wow" beers. This is that beer for me. I want to give it all 5's. I do. But, nothing can ever reach that high. Its about the chase, man.
A- Black. I hold it up to the light and I can barely get a redish color at the very bottom peaking through. Great lacing. Odd colored head, well, I guess just not what I was expecting...Its a tannish gray color. (thats not a bad thing)
S- Ahhh.... breath-taking. Coffee, roastiness, chocolate... I find myself wanting to invent words. If I take a very long inhale through the nose of this beast, I can begin to detect the alcohol. But man is it just begging me to slam it down. I refuse! I MUST sip slowly and chew each mouthfull, to make it last as long as possible. Love.
T- As I said before, this beer is a piece of cake. Chocolate cake with hints of coffee. Again I want to invent words to describe it. You know the best dark chocolate youve ever had? The best Italian dark roast coffee you ever had? Best chocolate cake you ever had? Well, imagine a blend of that made into a beer, your other favorite thing. Thats actually a horrible description, as it is lacking in even beginning on how to project how great this really is...
M- I had to change it from 4.25 to 4.5. This is my ideal mouthfeel for this style. Other stouts bow down to its full chewyness. This brew is thick in the way that shes got T n A that are fat but in the best way and you love it. Can we just replace coffee with this beer? Lets replace her, too. If I could wake up to this every morning, lets just say Id be a wayyy nicer guy :)
Overall you MUST get this and sip it and love it. I had this years ago and dont quite remember it being this good. Founders, thank you.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving: Bottle into snifter
Served: 1 February 2014

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with a thick two finger brown head that collapses quite quickly due to the ABV. Leaves great lacing. Alcohol legs visible.

Smell: Fresh, dark roasted coffee, some milk chocolate sweetness.

Taste: Huge coffee notes followed by a sweet malt finish. The coffee is the dominant flavor on the palate and compliments the rest of the beer nicely. Chocolate sweetness comes in after the initial coffee blast, followed by a mellow, semi-dry finish. Warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Nice malt backbone and oatmeal give this beer nice body. Good carbonation- not too overpowering, but not exactly silky smooth either.

Overall: An incredible beer, especially for coffee lovers. An incredible beer. I'm cellaring one bottle from this year's barrelage to see how age changes this one. Highly recommend.

3.25/5  rDev -27.3%

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

So I had heard that founders breakfast stout is amazing. I didn't think it could live up to all the hype, but it has. This is a fantastic dark and smooth stout. Being a double chocolate stout I expected it to be on the sweet side, but it was perfectly balanced. Without a doubt my go to stout now. Absolutely fantastic. If you see it, get it. You will not be disappointed.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company