Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,546 |  Reviews: 3,815

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - Jet black, thick looking pour, small tan head that leaves a fine tan cap and a little lacing on the drink down.

S - Espresso, coffee dominates the nose and reveals layers of chocolate, smoke, char and cereal grains.

T - coffee/espresso forward revealing bitter chocolate that rides an oat grain wave to a bitter finish with some char and roasted malt notes. Rich and complex.

M - Smooth! Creamy mouthfeel that's full bodied and brings just a slight carbonation kick.

O - This beer is amazing. Smooth, complex and rich. If coffee is your thing this is a must have.

4.19/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to my friend Ashley for bringing this back from Philly, no such thing as Founders around here.

A: Inky black with brown edges, head is small and disappears to a ring fairly quick.

S: Bitter chocolate meets a powerful aroma of medium roast coffee grounds. Smells like I freshly ground a bunch and took a whiff. I'm used to just picking up generic coffee in beers but this stuff you can get much further into, picking out the roast quality and flavour of the coffee beans themselves. Strikes me as a light roast, which is perhaps less common than dark roasts in beer.

T: While I smell the coffee as I take a sip, the taste is almost exclusively baker's chocolate and granola bar to start things off for me. Only after a few seconds does the coffee come back. I get much better resolution on the coffee in the nose. Coffee comes across as a nutty medium roast to me.

M: Thinner than I expected from such a highly acclaimed stout. Compared to BCBCS or Ten Fidy, this stuff feels like water. But it IS creamy and rich, just not thick.

O: This stuff has powerful flavour all around, from the coffee to the chocolate and even the oats. I was surprised to find no detectable hop flavour really, but then again, there isn't any sweetness that it needs to counteract. This stuff is huge dark chocolate, huge coffee, and huge oatmeal. And almost nothing else at all. While I really enjoy it, I find myself a little surprised by its notoriety compared to some other big stouts.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Bottled on 10/13/13, poured into a pint glass

A: Dark black, with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly. A great looking, midnight-oily beer, but in all honesty, stouts are usually all great looking beers.

S: Outstanding. Just like a Starbucks at first whiff, a nice deep roasty smell hanging subtly underneath.

T: I love it. Actually a bit disappointed at first, thinking that the coffee taste was overpowering the rest of the beer, but after a couple more sips, I could really pick up the chocolate and other subtle flavors. Missing the musty, leathery taste that downgrades other stouts for me, which is awesome.

M: Very pleasant.

O: Really a great beer. Makes the exact point that (I think) it is intending to. Very reasonably priced as well. Founders makes consistently better stouts than any other brewery I've tried.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%