Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,515 |  Reviews: 3,810

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle to pint glass.
Was waiting for this one and saved it for Thanksgiving dessert.

Poured Dark brown to total black. No light coming through at all. Very slight dark tan head that did not hang around long.
As soon as I finished the pour the aroma of chocolate hit me. My wife even noticed standing next to me. Awesome nose. I just sat and sniffed for a couple of minutes.
I expected more chocolate than coffee taste but the coffee was dominant, with a little sweetness at the start, with the cocoa flavor along with espresso as it finished.
Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth with very little carbonation.
Overall one of my favorite stouts so far. Definitely lived up to its billing.
Can't wait to try the KBS.

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz. stubby bottle into a pint glass.

A: Thick, dark with a finger width of head that dissipated quickly

S: I got a lot of chocolate, coffee and some malts as expected

T: I love the strong coffee hit at the beginning, but this then smooths into chocolate bitterness and finally a bitter sweet finish

MF: creamy and smooth thanks to the oats and superior blending

O: No shocker to anyone, this beer is top shelf

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle Served in Snifter

Appearance: very dark, black, no light goes through the glass. Surprisingly has a thin brownish head, but that may be due to how it was poured.

Aroma: dark roasted malts, sweet chocolate, sweet dark roasted coffee. It has a balanced aroma you get both the bitterness of the malt and the spices and the sweetness of the coffee and the chocolate. The biggest aroma would have to be the dark chocolate.

Taste: bitter on the front end and the complexity of the beer changes in the middle leaving you with a sweet wet finish. The chocolate definitely cuts through towards the end. The spices are the first thing to hit the palate. It's not really bitter but its not really sweet. I can't taste the alcohol at all.

Mouthfeel: Its moderate for a stout. It's not really thick, which is what I expected, but it still is syrupy. leaves a sweet wet finish.

Overall: This is a great Imperial stout. Definitely not what I expected, I guess I had a pre conceived notion on how this beer would taste. Honestly, It's nothing special. It goes down fairly smooth and it doesn't have a chocolate/coffee explosion, but it does have a unique taste. I would definitely buy this again. I will take some time to drink it again and re-review it since my sinus aren't up to par, this re-view may be a little biased since I cant taste the full effect.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company