Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,478 |  Reviews: 3,804

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer was purchashed at Megan McMurphy's on Route 57 in Liverpool, NY. I normally do not drink this style of beer but i had heard from other's about how great of a beer it was so i decided to give it a try. The amount of flavor in this beer is outstanding - Coffee biterness to sweet and chocolately. I can't wait to have this again. The beer improved as it warmed. I would recommend drinking this brew at room temperature. Overall this is probably one of the best beer's I have ever had and I would highly recommend it to any beer enthusiast.

4.19/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2012 release aged one year (one year from when I bought it anyway - don't know how old it was already). Served just cool in a tulip.

A - 4.0 - Black with tan head. Not too much head even with a moderately aggressive pour, and it doesn't last long.

S - 4.25 - So aromatic even when at pouring distance. Serious coffee aroma with something underneath it that is a balanced mix of not too sweet cake, bittersweet chocolate, and some culinary cousin of cardboard, but not in a bad way! Sort of related to that used coffee grounds in a wet paper filter smell. Also a hint of caramelly malt bordering on steely. I'm surprised the coffee smell lasted a year. Later in the glass we start to approach a partially sweet brownie liqueur note and the metal smell is gone.

T - 4.25 - A chocolate falling between bittersweet dark and baker's. A hint of brownie. But overall not particularly sweet in that way. A hint of steely metal, which I don't recall from last time. I taste the coffee less than I smell it but it's in the mix. I get zero booze, and just a hint of booze fumes wafting up the throat afterwards. Later in the glass I get more of a baked goods note, of a chocolate variety but again not all that sweet, and the metal note has faded to a vagueness where you can't really identify it as that anymore. Towards the end of the glass is the most coffee-ish it has tasted, surprisingly. I'm definitely left with coffee breath at the end of it, more like mocha breath.

M - 3.75 - Thinner than I remember. I'd call it medium bodied. I'm not really getting that silky oatmeal feel. Leaves a very slight abrasion and slight tingle on the tongue.

O - 4.25 - Yep, it's a top stout for sure. Very flavorful yet not too sweet. I'm not sure if aging it a year necessarily changed it in any memorable way. I thought I had my old review on this site to compare it to but I don't see it.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a beautiful dark and rich coffee color with great hazel lacing that stays around forever. Ideal picture of a stout.

Smell is full, chocolate and roasted coffee hits you.

Taste is pleasingly bitter, rich, mouth coating, lingering, chocolate-heavy. As satisfying as beer can be. The high alcohol content can sometimes get to me toward the tail end of a bottle, but a small complaint.

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bought the four pack finally. (I'm not sure how I feel about four packs...)

When I think of Beer, I think of a kid gobbling up breakfast, and so does Founders apparently. They put a very ambitious looking youngster on the bottle chowing down on some breakfast, already making me regret not pouring this into a bowl of Cheerios.

Look: It pours an awesome black void. The head is one finger in thickness, and it's a brown pillow of awesomeness. The lacing is optimal. So with all that being said, I can't imagine this being "improved upon". So it gets a very rare 5 from me. Just a solid looking beer.

Smell: I love the complexity of this. For a few basic ingredients you can detect right off the bat, it still has a lot else going on. Those basic few being Chocolate, Coffee, and Oats. It combines to create a cappuccino like smell, and the alcohol compounded on that, creates a near perfect aroma, that as far as I can tell, never falls off. That is the one thing I look for the most, whether the smell tapers off. This one doesn't.

Taste: Follows the nose completely. Once you taste it, you are able to identify the chocolate as the bitter kind, not the sweet kind. (This is a good thing)

Feel: Medium/Heavy in texture, like a good stout should. Carbonation seems to be on the low end, which just gives more attention to the taste in my opinion. The ABV is non-detectable to me. Very well hidden, and to me, that's what makes this something you can have any time of day.

Overall: I have heard things about this one from time to time on these very forums, but I never really took it to heart. I love stouts, and knew I would have to try it some day. MY GOD I'M GLAD I DID. This is one beer that lives up to the hype. It's just so balanced and tasty, and you can smell the very last sip. It's really good, and probably my new favorite. I'm hesitant to give 5's across the board, but this one is as close as it gets. After I get more experienced, I might just come back and knock this beer up to 5's like it probably deserves.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Founders is new in Florida. Excited to make this my first beer from them.

They don't look better than this: totally black with a big brown head.

Chocolate and coffee aroma. Nice.

Flavor is all about sweet chocolate and coffee flavors. Almost too sweet for me. Reminds me of a coffee and chocolate milkshake.

Great body. Like a milkshake.

I'm surprised that I'm not head over heels for this beer, considering its rating of 100 here. It's good, but not world-class.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company