Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,553 |  Reviews: 3,815

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- A VERY dark black color. Looks like black coffee in a glass. A whipped chocolate color on the head which does not last long.

S- Strong scents of coffee & some chocolate.

T- The taste is of coffee with a strong whipped chocolate cream after taste.

M- Great full body

O- After just 1 bottle of this Stout it automatically jumped to the top of my list of favorite beers. Its a great beer during the mid Fall all thru the winter.

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Whoa, man! Smooth like a velvet hammer. Dark. Opaque. Small head that recedes quickly. Looks great in the glass! Coffee aroma and taste hints. Mild bitterness - 60 IBU but I don't believe it. Full mouth feel; not like beer. Creamy feel for such a low viscosity liquid. Drink one and you will look forward to drinking your next one. Tomorrow, maybe.

4.06/5  rDev -9.2%

Nearly jet black in darkness, thin bubbly cap looks like Coca-Cola carbonation. Cap dissipates after a minute or so to a small ring around the glass. Small spots of lacing.

Coffee is the most obvious factor in the nose. Some notes of chocolate as well. Almost smells like an iced mocha. Can smell a hint of booze.

Tastes chocolatey on the front end, and bitterness builds to the back end into a dark chocolate and coffee taste. Finish is really nutty. Does not taste boozy per se, but some how I can just tell this is a high ABV brew based on its intense flavor.

Velvety and smooth in the mouth, little carbonation.

I do not often drink stouts, so I feel a little out of place here rating a "world-class" version of the style. That being said, this beer really makes me want to explore the style more. IMO this one would be best as a nightcap or after dinner. It is strong, complex, and satisfying. I don't necessarily want another, because I am perfectly satisfied with just one.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

I haven't been the biggest Stout fan but I have heard nothing but high praise so I decided to give it a whirl. And I must say I am very pleased that I did.

Appearance: Oil..thick, black motor oil with a very thin brownish colored head. My wife thought it looked gross, but to me there was something very appealing about this one. That dark, rich tones gave away that it is going to be packed with flavor.

Smell: Coffee, coffee, some more coffee and a slight hint of some alcohol. As it sat for a few minutes I was then able to pick up slight hints of chocolate, but coffee was the dominant scent.

Taste: COFFEE!!!! Like a nice, rich cup of iced coffee with just enough chocolate to make this feel like an after dinner drink or dessert. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth and silky on the tongue. A velvety texture making it feel all the more like a dessert than an actual beer.

Overall: I can say I definitely see the hype behind this beer and it absolutely deserves all the praise. As I have said before I have tried a few stouts but was never truly a fan of any of them. But if I can find some more out there that fall along the lines of this my beer haul will most definitely include some stouts.

4.04/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz Bottle from Party Source Syracuse NY for $3.50 - 2012 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a large size frothy beige head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5-6 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, vanilla, coffee, roasted nuts

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and vanila. There is also a bit of coffee and some roasted/burnt nuts.

Overall - A great smelling beer and a very solid taste as well. It does seem a little muted so I will have to give this a try fresh. Not hard to see why this beer gets so much acclaim.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company