Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,530 |  Reviews: 3,811

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A-black with a small brown head that faded fast
S- strong coffee and chocolate smell
T-coffee hit me at first then the chocolate sweeten it. The aftertaste was bitter then it faded into a sweet malty finish
M- I can feel the carbonation that I did not see when I poured it. Was thick.
O-was an outstanding beer, was surprized to enjoy it as much as I did

3.81/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured into a 16 oz Tulip glass.

A - dark tan head and almost completely black. I got a one finger head that died down to nothing fairly quick.

S - just a whole lot off coffee, and a whole lot of chocolates with a bit of roastyness.

T - A ton of chocolate upfront. chocolate carries through out and it finishes smooth with a little bitterness and coffee. Pretty tasty.

M - pretty well carbonated, pretty thick and chewy as well.

Overall this is one of the better stouts ive had.after each sip i wait a minute and i find myself just wanting more, and more and more... Not too much of a fan of the bitterness you get from the dark chocolate, but thats just my personal preference and opinion but hey...other then that, a nice desert beer. i wouldnt give it a 5/5 but this is reallly really good.

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From the 12 oz bottle to a snifter.

A: Brown-black with a small head that breaks down quickly leaving a coffee like swirl.

S: chocolate, coffee, roasted malts and some caramel.

T: wow. Simply wow. All the goodness in the smells comes through and more. It is a pleasure to take in the coffee and malt taste of this beer.

M: thick and creamy. Nice.

O: seek and ye shall find. I went on a trip specifically to get this beer and I am so happy I did. It was well worth it. I don't think I have found an American beer I have enjoyed this much, and I am not sure I will. I just learned that this beer will be for sale in my province soon, and I will be buying as much as possible.

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Wow this beer is delicious, currently my favorite Stout I have tried. Aroma hits you strong with coffee, espresso and chocolate. It smells so good you can’t wait to drink it. Appearance is think and black. The head is frothy and creamy with substantial lacing. Taste is just delicious. Taste of coffee and espresso comes through first and then you take chocolate. Lingering flavor. Savor this one and allow it to warm up to room temperature as you drink. Palate - Rich, thick and creamy. It feels substantial. Not much carbonation. I love this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. beer poured into a pint glass. Bottled on 8/30. Consumed on 10/7.

A - Brown, approaching black in color. Gentle pour yielded a light amount of head, light brown in color. Moderate carbonation as observed from the top. Formed classic heavy layered lacing as beer receded.

S - Absolutely decadent. Reminded me of high-grade crumbled dark chocolate with vanilla, condensed milk, and nutmeg. Smell did not quickly dissipate.

T - Again, dark chocolate up front, with roasted coffee/espresso and condensed milk. The roasted coffee flavor included a slight tart acidity that intensified in the finish. Even now, 10 min removed from my last sip, I still taste the tartness on the back of my tongue. The higher ABV is not at the forefront of the beer, but complement the beer well, providing an overall warming feeling.

M - Creamy decadence. Had the creamy characteristics of a café au lait (think French Quarter/fresh Café Du Monde), yet also well carbonated, but not to the point where it affects the creaminess. Rather, they are mutual complementary, but I also get the nice tingle on the tongue. Also, has a kind of stickiness from condensed milk or a good milkshake.

O - I am not normally a stout fan, but I can appreciate the complexity and richness of this beer. I can't help but grade it highly based on its own merits. The only detractor for me was the lasting tartness on the back of the tongue which downgrade the taste and overall ratings from a 4.75 to 4.5. Still a phenomenal beer. Can't wait to try this with a nice cigar.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company