Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,516 |  Reviews: 3,810

2.76/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours black with a thin dark tan head. Aroma of coffee and a touch of chocolate. Flavor is coffee up front, but chocolate, maple syrup, oatmeal, malt, and smoke round this out nicely. Nothing is overdone though, and it is indeed just about everything I love about breakfast packed into a bottle. Little carbonation, little trace of the alcohol. Very well done!

UPDATE! R U JOKIN OR WAT PEPSICAN? Thick, harshly bitter, not really picking up on much of what I picked up on for the original rate. Still looks pretty, smells decent, but this is just too much for me.

3.45/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

From Jims. No BB.

A - tar black, tan head, very(!) aggresive pour yields one finger head, fades to lace.

S - oats, instant coffee, licorice.

T - assault of oats, licorice, coffee, choc, significant hops. Dry finish.

M - medium bodied, toward oily, but not there.

O - am I missing something here? or going off Big Beers? Too oat-y. The whole is less than the sum of the parts, and there are some astrigent notes in here that do not make for easy drinking. Doesn't get any better as the end nears, either. Almost like the brewer just chucked far too may ingredients in the mix to see what gave. Would it be better if left a year? hmmmm...
And I realise I am in the minority, but calling it like I see it.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Ok, so everyone seems to get all bent over this here stout. I think it's great in taste, color & alcohol content but it literally has no head and no aroma. I think it would change my life on nitro, I think i'd have to trade an arm to make that happen. I drink this out of my dirty Lagunitas ball-jar glass and daydream of it served as a Guinness with a shamrock. Haters can comment now.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company