Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#87

Ratings: 16,611 |  Reviews: 3,826

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Founders does it again. Wonderful stout that I had at a beer tasting bash on 8/14.2013. I really had been looking forward to having this one ever since I heard about it. Glad to check it off my list.

Appearance: Black as black can be. Almost looks like motor oil when I poured it in my glass. However, it wasn't to oily to stick to the sides of the glass as I have seen in other stouts. FOur fingered head that was darker than most other beers. You know you're drinking a good stout when the head is darker than most Brown Ales.

Smell: Bittering hops, bitter coffee, and a slight metallic scent dominate the nose. I am not a huge fan of the coffee smells. However, even though I am not a fan of the style I know others were loving the smell. So overall, I can appreciate what Founders was going after here with this one.

Taste: Wow, this knocks your socks off for sure. Huge coffee flavors stand out with hints of dark chocolate sweetness dancing in the background. Traces of oatmeal earth flavors are somewhat identifiable if you really pay attention. The aftertaste is the nice coffee bitter that settles down to a nice bittersweet on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Smooth as a calm creek and thick like molasses. A bit slimy between the tongue and cheek along with little carbonation keeps the mouthfeel from being perfect.

Overall: I can't recommend this beer enough. This one lived up to my expectations in every aspect. I know it has a high ABV which keeps it from being a session beer, but I could easily down four bottles in a night without even noticing. This brew is a gem in the Heavyweight Stout division.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company