Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,556 |  Reviews: 3,816

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

yummy in my tummy! this beer is delicious. Every time I drink it I feel just like the kid on the label looks like he feels...fulfilled. For not that expensive of a beer you get a pretty heavy full of flavor brew. The coffee flavor is evident but not overpowering, chocolate comes out right away, carbonation is just right, and the high alcohol isn't too apparent. I love this beer it's very easy to go through a four-pack in a day or so by yourself

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured into snifter. Deep brown, near black. Thin tan head which dissipated quickly. I was disappointed in this. My glassware was clean, but the bottled date was nearly 10 months ago. Perhaps this is why?

S: Smells like wine/bourbon mix. I smell cherries and grapes

T: Sweet cherry wine, Toasted malts. Alcohol leaves an impression and removes these flavors quickly

M: Low carbonation. Medium bodied. Alcohol gives dry finish

O: I enjoyed this beer a lot. I think the hype around it, from BA and friends, was too high. I would like to give it another go with a fresher bottling date and see if that helps the Apperance and mouth feel. This beer's strong suits definitely come out as it warms. I would drink this around 50 next time starting out.

3.25/5  rDev -27.3%

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours pretty black/super-dark brown, with a finger and a half of nice brown head. Really good lacing that stays there.

S - Coffee, chocolate, little bit of grain/oatmeal, malts, toast/bread. Some kind of berries maybe, as others have mentioned?

T - Coffee, chocolate, grain/oatmeal, malts, toast/bread, berries. Be it all ye know on Earth, and all ye need to know.

M - Just like everything else I've tried from Founder's - pretty much perfect for the style. Medium-low carbonation, smooth and oily-silky, present but non-bitter aftertaste.

O - Man. What's to say here. This is a damn good beer. Everything just balances out so well with it, though non-coffee drinkers might be understandably put off a bit. I'm not sure but I might be underrating this a little, though I just find it hard to rate higher than Dirty Bastard. But whatever - don't pass this one up.

4.96/5  rDev +11%

Coffee lovers unite!!! When I heard about this beer, I was a bit skeptical at first. A chocolate coffee oatmeal stout? That sounds like it has a lot going on, and I was right. The color is deep brown. It has a great aroma of roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. The taste is right on. It has the bitterness of coffee and the maltiness of beer. It is unlike anything else out there and man does it it keep me coming back for more.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company