Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#89

Ratings: 16,784 |  Reviews: 3,863

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated 09/04/12 poured into a Founders snifter

A: Pours midnight black, with a finger's worth of dark brown head from an aggressive pour. Head is quick to fade to traces of bubbles and foam. No light is getting through the oil black body.

S: Even after eight months, coffee is still the biggest player in the nose. Roasted coffee is noticed first and is followed by rich dark malts and a bready malt toastiness. Bitter chocolate is there too.

T: In a word: delicious. Breakfast blend coffee is evident, although it has toned down with age. Bitter, dark, and sweet chocolate flavors combine with heavy malt flavors and toasted bread. A bitterness I believe I can still attribute to hops is just barely perceiveable. Lingering roast and dark chocolate flavors in the aftertaste. If it was not for the slight warming feeling, I would not know there was alcohol in here. It is indeed the beer I would want to have with breakfast, given a choice.

M: Fairly viscous, slightly oily-slick, and creamy smooth. Exactly how you want a stout of this ABV to feel.

O: Just fantastic. Comparing this older bottle to my experience with it fresh, I can assuredly say the coffee has toned down some, thus allowing the chocolate to play a bigger role. I would guess between six and twelve months is when this beer is in great balance. My preference would have to go to an aged breakfast stout. Set a few bottles of this aside if you can resist the temptation to drink it all right away!

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very dark black, but just a little brown can be visualized against light. Trace carbonation can be seen and a decent amount of floaties (these I have not seen in the past). One finger of tan head.

S - Nice nose with prominent chocolate and coffee, with hints of roasted malt and caramel as well.

T - Great coffee hit, with bitter chocolate breaking through.

M - Thick, "chewy" and full bodied. Traces of carbonation slithering up the side of the goblet.

O - Really a great Imperial Stout. I find this a faithful go to, it never lets me down and always lives up to expectation. Founders pulls through as usual.

3.75/5  rDev -16.9%

3.5/5  rDev -22.4%

4.1/5  rDev -9.1%

355ml bottle poured into tulip 24/4/13, thanks Rutager for getting me one of my longest standing wants

A not quite black and you can see deep under the foam, I can see a few bubbles streaming up the side of the glass, two fingers of dark foam leaves a few partial rings of lace before it falls.

S lots of milk chocolate and coffee with some sponge toffee, I like the coffee notes but its pretty straight forward but solid

T chocolate's a little darker in the mouth and a little sweeter, coffees a little more noticeable and works well, a little hard toffee but mostly coffee and coco

M not as thick as I would guess from the color but that still leaves a fair amount of body, creamy from the bubbles, a little slick and a nice lingering coco coffee mix

O Pretty solid stuff but fairly simple much to my surprise, straightforward but very drinkable, my glass is empty at this point typing the review

I was expecting a little more, perhaps I built this one up a little to much and the hype behind it didn't help either. Don't get me wrong this is a great beer but I wouldn't place it in the worlds top 15 beers where it currently sits.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company