Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,687 | Ratings: 15,948

This is almost as good, if not better, than Kentucky Breakfast Stout. The fact that it's easier to find and about half the price, well... that seals the deal in making this Founders' best beer, period.

A: Completely opaque, pitch black. There's about a finger of chocolate mousse head that laces nearly as nicely as a sticky IPA throughout. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Doesn't get any better than this.

S: The oatmeal character is immediately noticeable in the form of a roasty grain aroma, and the finish is a big-time coffee punch. Chocolate is definitely there but it doesn't assert itself (as it shouldn't). Smelling this beer is one of its joys - it really does live up to its name. I could easily see waking up from a particularly nice weekend sleep to a glass of this and a grand slam breakfast.

T: Tastes absolutely delicious. Bittersweet chocolate, gourmet coffee, and roasty, toasty oatmeal. It's not missing anything. The mouthfeel is appropriately thick and tongue-coating. There's nothing about this beer that is remotely compromising, and for a beer that's less than 8.5% alcohol, it is remarkably full-bodied. Absolutely lives up to its delicious name and intriguing label. Founders should always consider this to be its flagship beer and should never take it for granted, it's all right there in the taste.

M: The mouthfeel is thick, the thing that a lot of rookie beer drinkers complain about when it comes to dark beer. Each of those people should be handed a glass of this - I'd like to hear someone's explanation as to why this should be any thinner than it is - it's got a lot of body to jive with a lot of flavor and a lot of character.

D: I would dock this beer for being so BIG, but if price and self-esteem weren't an issue, I could easily down about six of these a day. This is how Slim Fast should taste. It's the sort of thing that feels like a meal in and of itself, that completely defies logic when you remind yourself that it's still beer.

Another perfect beer from Founders. Still holding out hope that I'll be able to try Canadian Breakfast Stout one day.

A beer and brewery that changed my life and my view of beer. This beer shows that you don't have to do anything crazy, you just need to do something really well inorder to succeed.

A - Pours like motor oil, a deep black color. The deep brown head was small and faded quickly.

S - Burnt roasted nutty aroma with heavy coffee and hints of chocolate.

T - Smokey and burnt flavors. Finished with the bitterness of coffee. The heartiness of the oatmeal is evident in taste and body. The is a slight metalic flavor as well.

M - Full bodied with a smooth dry finish.

D - Probably more drinkable than it should be. Smooth and creamy they go down smooth. And absolutely fantastic brew. Congrats Founders.

Appearance- Jet black color. Thin beige head, looks like frothy chocolate milk bubbles.

Smell- Mocha, coffee, toffee, milk chocolate.

Taste- Milk chocolate and peanuts, tiny bit of alcohol. After taste is a bitter coffee taste with lingering mocha sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Light carbonation. Fills your mouth up with a warm alcohol taste that is gone as fast as it arrived, replaced with smooth and creamy chocolate.

Overall- I was ready to be disappointed given all the hype around this beer. After tasting it I am happy to say that the hype was totally validated. I'm not a big stout drinker, but this is just a terrific beer. It's like chocolate milk for grown men!

Aroma--roast, coffee, small hint of chocolate.

Taste--in concert with aroma, with chocolate much more detectable. So delicious.

Mouthfeel--thick and hearty. Very cliche to say, but really, REALLY has almost light milkshake texture.

Overall--This is a pleasure to review, because I have nothing but superlatives for this beer. Seriously, I was not a stout fan at all until, after hearing so many rage about the Founders (almost to an ad nauseum degree), I bought myself a four pack, sat down with a pour, and just savored every single drink. I've branched out to stouts since, and love them now, and owe it all to this one. Truly delicious. This beer is a champ.

this was absolutely the best beer i tasted, the smell was phenomenal, the mouthfeel was exactly what i expected, the taste was beyond what i thought it would be. this beer is the best ive tasted in a while, and the best stout i have had in a very long time.

Served from a bottle at around 55 degrees. This is my first founders breakfast stout so my expectations were really really high. Oh god I wasn't disappointed at all! The appearance is just like a typical imperial stout; pitch black with a decent head that dissipates in about 3 minutes. The smell is just awesome, coffee, heavy chocolate, roasted malts and more chocolate. The taste is just like the smell very delicious, very creamy. The first flavor you palate detects is the rich coffee, followed by tons and tones of dark chocolate, ending in a pleasant bitterness. This could be perhaps the best Russian stout out there. I highly recommend!

Pours dark chocalate, nearly black, good cascading, very little head.

Smells wonderful, chocalate and coffee notes are immediate

Great chocalate and coffee blend where the two flavors battle it out to a draw
Hard to believe this is an 8% beer as the alcohol melds with the other flavors to be nearly undetectable. Sweet chocalate after taste lingers on the pallet

Great mouth feel, not too thick, just right amount of sturdiness

I've had other coffee flavored beers and was always underwhelmed, this one gets everything right, its just flat out delicious.

Pours a rich black color with a dark tan one finger head which recedes to a thick a lace on the top of the glass. Smells of coffee, chocolate and burnt malts.

Fantastic!

Amazingly balanced. So many layers of flavors. There must be an immense amount of malts and hops in this one, all of which blend together beautifully. Thick, chewy, and huge in body. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, caramel and toffee up front. Surprisingly though, there is very little sweetness. A bittering citric and herbal hop presence stings the back of the tongue just in time to wash away any flavor that would try to overstay its visit in your mouth.

This beer has a good reputation and for good reason. Can't wait til we get it back in stock at my store.

So I had heard that founders breakfast stout is amazing. I didn't think it could live up to all the hype, but it has. This is a fantastic dark and smooth stout. Being a double chocolate stout I expected it to be on the sweet side, but it was perfectly balanced. Without a doubt my go to stout now. Absolutely fantastic. If you see it, get it. You will not be disappointed.

A- Thin tan head completely opaque with great retention, ideal at slightly below a cool temperature 45-50.

S- After a sifter of the KBS, I found the Breakfast to have mostly Chocolate aromas, with some roasted/coffee coming through as I drank it.

T- Complexity improves as it warms. Liquid Breakfast, I actually had malted pancakes before drinking this. I would even recommend trying it over vanilla ice cream or with a piece of apple crisp. It tastes roasty and chocolatey at the beginning with the dark fruit and bitterness of an imperial at the end. Worth the drive if you are within 100 miles of a distributor.

M- Definitely an oatmeal feel with the malty sweetness on the sides of the tongue. It surprised me once again how subtle any alcohol feel/dryness are left afterword. They could amp up the ABV even more and it wouldn't be turned down.

Serving type: on-tap at Founders

Have had this several times and enjoy every minute of it. Great movie addition-to chill to one that is.

A: Dark with nice mocha head on it. Nice lacing.
S: Strong, coffee, charcoal, chocolate moca, spice.
T: Strong due to ABV, but one you can chill to sip after sip.
M: Strong bold and gripping. Full body and full of strong flavor.
O: Give this one a shot or two...stock up for a nice warm wint

One of the best stouts I have ever had. It has lower ABV than most stouts that I have consumed but I does not lack deep character that the others possess. Many sweet notes, easy to drink any time of day. As they always say, it is noon somewhere.

A: pours dark black, small tan head.

S: roasted malt smell, chocolate, coffee, chocolate, coffee

T: its malty goodness in a glass. Chocolate hits you right away, the coffee is there, but its sweet.. not bitter, very sweet but its not a bad thing. The alcohol is very very well hidden.

M: Perfect in my opinion. its very smooth, its silky but not too thick. For such a flavorful brew, its Very drinkable.

O: amazing stout its great in my opinion, it is bold, yet sweet, strong yet subtle. It has flavor! Its crafted with quality ingredients. I understand sweetness in a beer isnt everyones cup of tea, but this is a grade A quality beer. A 12oz bottle ran me $2.75 and i had it on tap at barleys taproom in greenville for $5. Its affordable. For the style it gets a 10 out of 10. Its an amazing beer and i say everyone should try it. Cheers

Everything about this Founders is incredible. Poured the 12oz bottle into a Sprecher snifter. Thick dirty black with a pretty rising tan head. Heavy aromas of chocolate, mocha, coffee, roast, vanilla...awesome. Full body with low carbonation makes this an awesome dessert beer.

One of the best beers by far. Imperial Stout that has the malty, chocolate, and coffee flavors that put this over the top. There is just a little bite of bitterness from the hops but overall a smooth beer that has few equals.

Another favorite! Had it at the Stout on 33rd West by 1 Pen Plaza NYC. I must say it has a lovely aroma with a twist of bitter cream. The body was very filling and satisfying. I enjoyed it so much i had 4 in one sitting and didn't make it back to work. The cream stout taste leave your pallet satisfy and refreshed. I would recommend the beer to any women you wish to have a great time with.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this beer, I have always been hesitant to order, buy coffee stouts as the coffee flavor is too strong. HOWEVER, I ordered this beer on tap at Bryant Lake Bowl in Minneapolis and fell in love! The beer had an amazing feel and combination of flavor between coffee (kona coffee) and chocolate. I would highly recommend this beer.

What Auraan said exactly as described. First try of this beer thought omg this really is for breakfast what a great way to start the morning. High ABV it is not for seriously thinking you will get anything else done besides lift sip enjoy repeat. Flavor really opens the longer it sits and warms a bit. Been waiting months for it to come back into season.

Beautiful black liquid with minimal coffee-colored head. Smells of delicious coffee and chocolate malt. Taste is decadent, very smooth to begin with, later warming up to chocolate and coffee with a hint of booze. Very smooth mouthfeel. Slightly bitter finish.

I'm sold, one of the best oatmeal stouts I've ever had.

I love this stout. 8.3%? You'd never know...drink and enjoy all night long. I'm not sure how a stout gets better than this. As soon as the thermometer drops below 30 feed me this every Friday night.

On tap or in the bottle...equally good. Founders has a beer god at the helm.

ODE TO A BREAKFAST STOUT

O'er the years I've loved many beers
Thought I knew them in and out
But I never truly loved a beer
Til I tried Founders Breakfast Stout

Perchance it was the silky pour
That opened up my eyes
Mysterious jet black liquid
Mocha foam, the perfect size

If I thought she looked a beauty
I was even more impressed
By her chocolate and coffee aroma
Just a whiff made me feel blessed

What truly won me over
Made my heart begin to race
Was bringing the glass to my lips
And taking that very first taste

Coffee as strong and thick as tar
Chocolate as sweet as a Hershey's bar
Oatmeal as smooth as an elegant dame
So complex, and yet a delight just the same

You may say I've lost my senses
That my mind has taken flight
But if loving a beer is wrong
My friends, I don't want to be right

Holy Motherpuncher! In love with the Dark Side. I would consider this more like dessert than breakfast. Founder's Breakfast Stout most certainly lives up to the hype. Decadent roasted malts with huge chocolate flavor, with hints of smoke like a cigar. Was expecting a dominant Kona coffee flavor, but this was more subtle. The ABV of 8.3% is a little low for a stout, but the pure decadence makes up for this. This beer is currently rated as #28 out of Beer advocate ' s Top 250 beers, and I feel like it should be higher. Probably the smoothest stout I've ever had, and overall one of the best stouts I've ever had. I rarely give a perfect score, but I give this one a perfect 100/100 points.

A; Dark black with a thick chocolate malt head

s: fresh ground espresso beans, bitter chocolate, and slow roasted grains.

t: dark chocolate, espresso, toffee, dark cherries, caramelized brown sugar, and deep roasted malts..

m: Get me a spoon. absolutely perfect.

d: Where do I get more????.

Poured into an Ikea snifter. The liquid is pitch black, and the pour kicks up a modest head that fades quickly to a film but leaves lots of lace.

Aroma is really nice coffee, chocolate, and hints of dark fruit and a slight warming character, with a bit of lactic tartness. The coffee aromas are really great - perfect amount of roast character without being charred.

Flavor is, again, really great coffee and chocolate. The coffee brings with it some really nice dark fruit and almost vinous flavors, and the chocolate is fairly dark, but the lactic tartness brings out some sweetness from it too, becoming a really nice blend of dark and milk chocolate. There are also some weird wheat bread flavors, becoming kind of brownie-ish. Finish is slightly bitter, and the aftertaste brings out some caramel in addition to the coffee and chocolate.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a high amount of carbonation - really nicely silky.

Overall, my absolute favorite readily-available coffee beer. The coffee flavors are absolutely perfect, and even better than most coffee products out there! Coffee is the beverage I cheat on beer with during the day, so I loooove when beers incorporate good coffee flavors (instead of the usual overly-roasted mess), and this one is the best of the best. The balance of bitterness and sweetness is perfect, and there is absolutely nothing I would change about this. This is a staple that I wait all spring and summer for. Just absolutely wonderful.

There are those certain things (or beers) that give you that "Oh my god" effect....and this beer does that for me. Three of my favorite things in this world are beer, coffee, and chocolate and I get all of that in this one beverage. Absolutely amazing....

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company