Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,685 | Ratings: 15,940
4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

Enjoyed some of the instant stuff with this one on 3/21/2006, although the first bottle was gifted to me by my good friend Warriorsoul many months ago. 12-oz bottle poured in a Dogfish shaker.

After a vigorous pour, 1/8-inch film of head sticks plentifully to the sides, but dissipates quickly. Very little lace as the pour drains. Black, tar pit hue that is impossible to discern, to the point where your reflection grins back at you. Chocolate, molasses, and not unsurprisingly, oatmeal with a heaping helping of brown sugar jam around on the nose. Really a throttling of chummy smoke, black licorice, burnt sugar, caramel left too long in the sun, and other chocolate tones invade the mouth and stick. The alcohol is hidden behind the previously noted aspects, but pleasantly so.

Nice, wholly, holy nice. Had the Kentucky bourbon version at the 2006 EBF and it was best of show for me. This does not disappoint.

12-ouncer, bottled 8/5/09.

Pours opaque, with a modest mocha head. Lacing is decent, retention is average. Huge and earthy nose of coffee. I can smell the Sumatra.

Flavor is bitter, tangy and coffee-like. I like how this beer isn't sweet or timid. Roasty. Some chocolate comes through, but this brew really focuses on coffee and does it well. Oats could be more present and contribute more to the mouthfeel, which is a bit lacking for a stout on the bigger end of the spectrum.

This is a great coffee stout, and I respect it, but I don't see it as a top-25 beer, which is how it's rated (#22) on "Best of BA" as of this review. I'm not even sure it's top-50. Maybe I'm a curmudgeon. Who knows. Mikeller Beer Geek Breakfast is still the stuff for me when it comes to coffee stouts. This Founders brew is a great value though, especially when compared to Mikeller.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter. Had this beer twice before, and now finally reviewing.

Pours a jet black color with a solid one finger tan head. Seems to have low carbonation, average for a stout. Decent clumps of lacing stick on the glass.

Ahh, this is what heaven probably smells like. Everything that is advertised on the bottle is present. Strong oats are at the fore of the aroma. This is nicely complimented by the big roasty grains that have a good coffee and slight chocolate component.

Everything in this beer works so well together. A dry, slightly bitter roastiness comes through first which transitions into a smooth, creamy, chocolate, coffee goodness. As it warms, it becomes more delicious. The coffee and chocolate are drawn out even more when it warms. Can taste the coffee minutes after I've taken a sip.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, would love a little bit more body. I've noticed lately that I would like more body on most of the beers I've had, maybe one extremely viscous beer spoiled it for me. Good low carbonation. Very drinkable for over 8%.

Overall this is a really good beer. Not as good as I remember it being the last two times I had it. I remember it being absolutely sublime on tap at Founders. You pretty much have to like coffee to like this beer, good thing I do. Would like a little more thickness in the body. Otherwise its awesome.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Dark black body. Sticky tan head.

S - This one has a strong coffee nose with scents of chocolate and roasted malt.

T - Deep coffee and bitter chocolate on the palate. Has a thick, syrupy roasted taste. Certainly has that oatmeal-chocolate-coffee taste with the alcohol subtlely apparent.

M - Thick bodied and strong on the tongue. This beer is full of flavor and texture too. Tolerable carbonation and a big bold feel.

D - This beer is a bit on the heavier side and definately has tons of potent flavors. I cant see myself downing too many of these but a great experience nonetheless.

Notes - Try this beer if you're looking for big flavor. Complex coffee and chocolate notes with a hearty oatmeal foundation make this beer worth its weight. This beer is one I tried by chance and I'm glad i did.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

From a bottle into a large snifter.

Very black with garnet notes. Minimal chocolate head with some lacing. I was hoping for a bit more head, but this isn't unheard of in the style.

Dark coffee. Mostly the dark roasted beans (Sumatra) come through, but there's some espresso as well. I don't detect much chocolate, but that isn't disappointing. Some other things coming through, but it's in the world of these two flavors. A hint of toffee, some chemical smell that is related to the alcohol.

Several layers of coffee - espresso and several dark roasts. Chocolate is tame and slightly sweet. There's the same chemical flavor - something like the "paintbos" in pinotage wines. Hints of spice - allspice and cinnamon.

I actually wanted this to be more dense. It goes down easily, and isn't as heavy as most beers of this style. It's very good.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours a completely used motor oil black into my chalice. A dark tan one finger head is formed, though it does dissipate quickly (but this chalice does that to every beer). Pouring the rest of my bottle in a regular glass confirmed that this beer's head dissipates to a cap. Little lacing.

S: Tobacco, wet coffee grounds, molasses, licorice, roasted malts, cocoa, and a hint of vanilla. The tobacco-coffee ground aroma is a little overly earthy for me.

T: Roasted malt is upfront, then it is balanced by a hint of bittering hops. Molasses, licorice, chocolate, vanilla, and the hint of coffee are also rather dominate flavors. Subtle complexities are overshadowed by the coffee flavor. As usual with coffee stouts, the coffee doesn't taste "fresh brewed".

M: Ever so syrupy yet has a tad of creaminess. More carbonation would bring out a bit more flavor.

D: I can surprisingly drink this rather quickly, it's pretty impressive.

O: A coffee stout lover's dream. Personally, one bottle is enough for me.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Last bottle. Apparently I had forgotten about it as I found it behind some ketchup and Italian dressing. Good find! Bottled 9/28/13.

A- Aggressive pour yielded a finger of dark brown head. Doesn't retain very well. Ring of brown around the edge of the glass. This beer is a dark shade of black. Only light getting through is on the outermost edges. Hardly and lacing left on the glass.

S- Mmmm... This beer is pungent. I wish all of my breakfasts smelled like this. Dark roast coffee and dark chocolate dominate this one. A BOLD aroma here, and I like it. Not super complex, but incredibly enticing.

A- Almost as good as the nose. Really roasty. Coffee and dark chocolate flavors start off the sip and are washed down with a somewhat smooth sweetness. Feels a little empty. Roasty, but not as rich as I would like. Still, really good.

M- Medium carbonation with a thinner mouthfeel. Would love some more body to this beer. While it's not the strongpoint of this beer, it's good enough.

O- Lovely offering from Founders. Don't think it's as amazing as most people do, but it's still a damn good beer. I won't hesitate to buy this beer with regularity. One of the more solid seasonal offerings out there.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note, Ive had this sitting quite a while.

Not ready to rate the pour. I think "lots of head" is an over statement. Give me a minute for this to calm down so I can pour the rest of it.
5 minutes later ...
Gosh, this head is dark and thick
10 minutes later. Whole bottle is poured, but I have a solid 4 fingers of foam. Not head, foam. Boy is this beer dark. Not sure ive seen a liquid darker than this.

Roasted coffee. I dont smell any hops, not really any malt.

Like a nice roasted coffee bean flavor. Almost like a cold, alcoholic coffee. Very rich, feels heavy and syrupy at the end. In a good way though. ABV is hidden VERY well. I cant tell there is alcohol, though its yummy. The 8.3 is not noticed one bit.

Awesome. Sits almost syrupy. Yummy, not full on sweet. Long lasting flavor. Reminds me of Saturday morning coffee at breakfest.

I definately want more of this. I could drink maybe 4 of these, any more my face would probably fall off, though in a good way.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Very dark. Some head that dissipates to some lacing up the sides. Quite earthy roasted nose to it which is nice to actually smell a stout. Great taste. Oats and malt are very present. Coffe like coco sediment delivers the tastebuds a nice aftertaste. Carbonation not as present as expected, but this is an old bottle so maybe thats why. Complements food well with a clean wash but the alcohol is somewhat obvious. Which isnt always bad I guess. Well done. Woukd buy again. Well balanced.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pretty unremarkable when poured into my snifter. No head whatsoever. Pours a dark black. Opaque.
S: Tons of chocolate and coffee. The booze is heavily masked. Malts are balanced nicely with some faint hop smell.
T: Hit with a lot of coffee and dark chocolate right off the bat. The malts are sweet, but it does give way to a bitterness due to the hops and dark chocolate. It is tasty.
M: Medium carbonation and not quite as thick as I thought it would be. The bitter taste at the end doesn't hang around long. It's not a crisp finish, so the tastiness stays with you. Well done here.
D: At over 8%, this is one I think you could have a couple of despite it's ABV. It's got a great flavor and it doesn't get old. Job well done here.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours black with a finger tan head.

Smell is super roasty, malt and espresso.

Taste is rich, lots and lots and LOTS of coffee. Roast is dominating. Bitter without being overpowering. Nothing else comes through.

Very drinkable. Waaayyy too much coffee and not enough beer.

Been looking forward.

Bottle is pretty funny, toddler spooning up something, hopefully not 8.5% ABV beer. (unless mom and dad are supervising and cultivating a young craft beer palate)

Nice stout poor, brown head, nice carbonation, pretty dark. Looks like I want/expect it to look.

Smell is coffee and bitter chocolate. Some roasted character too.

Taste is coffee up front, some more toasted stout flavors follow. Creamy feel, not syrupy. not that sweet. Good balance, typical stout roast, with coffee and bitter chocolate dominating. Maybe could have been a little thicker.
Tried to find some sweetness, dark fruits, leather/tobacco, spice, etc, but didn't find much. Which is ultimately OK in this coffee dominated tasty beverage.
If you like coffee stouts, I could see this being a favorite.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A great stout. This is not too sweet which I like in a stout. I think I would probably go with Founders Imperial Stout as I remember it being just as good, maybe better, which is impressive at a higher abv. It would be interesting to try them side by side. But can't go wrong with FBS.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a jet black wth a huuge, really tight brown head that retains really well, beautiful!

Smells strongly of cold coffee, middle roast, backed up by some bitter cocoa and dark bread with flaked oats on top, and i dont know if its me having oatmeal porridge for breakfast, but I seem to detect a hint of that in the beer aswell.

Intially the coffee is pretty dominant, but as the beer warms up a bit, a pronounced sweeter than expected bitter dark chocolate enters my palate. There isn't very much mor too it to be honest, it is an oat-smooth orgy of chocolate and coffee, with no overly heavy roasted notes, and it is pretty yummy.

A very smooth mouthfeel, although I think the carbonation is a bit too low.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

Reviewed today from a bottle from last year's release. I can tell because, it is a twist off cap and Founders has smartly moved to pry off. No freshness date, but I would bet this baby would age for a year just fine.

When I twisted off the cap, there was a resounding release of CO2. This was only confirmed by an incredibly active head even with a ginger pour of the bottle into a deep Hennepin glass. The head that formed was incredibly billowy. So much so that I had to wait 5 minutes to pour a bit more, then another 2 minutes to finish off the bottle. Pours an incredibly black fluid with only a slight hint of mahogony around the very edges. The previously mentioned billowy head took on a nice light brown color and left quite a froth atop the beer long after I was done pouring.

S: A whiff over the glass reveals an incredibly roasty coffee smell with hints of dates, chocolate, and melted caramel. The coffee tinge is dominant but not excessive.

T: Initial tastes reveal a strong roasty backbone with low-bitterness coffee and dark chocolate. As it warms the background allows hints of figs, cocoa, and singed toffee to shine through. The roasty finish is over powering and lingers long after your last sip.

Mouthfeel is somewhat slick but with ample carbonation to keep the beer dancing in your mouth.

D: This is a tough category. This beer doesn't shy away from full-frontal flavor (alliteration!). It grabs your taste buds and drags them through a bitter bath of 85% raw coffee grounds and 15% dark-a$$ chocolate. Then leaves you bleeding bitterness on your tongue for a good 95 seconds after you swallowed. I dig it. Apparently BAs dig it.

This beer is fantastic.

Coffee, coffee, coffee, and a little bit o' oatmeal. Chocolate is not that noticeable. You don't notice the 8.3% abv, so look out.

Poured from a glass into a mug. I've had it on draught too, though, and that's excellent.

Founders deserves its excellent reputation.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours a very deep dark black with a thin tan head.
S: Roasted coffee, dark chocolate and a hint of oats and some dark fruit
T: A lot of coffee flavor and dark fruits. Not much chocolate but its there. A hint of something roasted, maybe the oats.
M: Very smooth and finishes nice. One of the cleanest drinking stouts I've ever had.
O: Tasty beer. I think this 4 pack is going to last me exactly 3 more weeks... one every Sunday morning because it does scream breakfast.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours deep black, 1 1/2 tan head. Has a slight coffee smell, caramel and coffee flavor. Taste is thick and smooth, you can taste the chocolate and coffee, excellent cold morning wake up beer. Overall one of the best stouts I have had!

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours black and completely opaque with a large inch and a half mocha colored head. Excellent retention and some nice lacing as well.

The aroma is excellent. Loads of bitter black chocolate are the highlight, with a nice dose of chocolate in the background.

The taste is very nice. Again, big black coffee note up front with a slightly bitter finish. A load of dark chocolate comes through on the back end. Slightly milky as well.

Mouthfeel is just shy of full bodied. It's fairly creamy, and has relatively low levels of carbonation.

Drinkability is high. It's great tasting, and very drinkable for just over 8%. Always happy to revisit this one.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

I can only imagine what this beer is like fresh. Because as it is this brew is rocking my world. Dark as a blackhole. I held a candle up to the pint glass and cannot even get the slightest shimmer through the beer. Thick black, creamy head on top. The glass was coated in lace that slowly oozed into a stringiness. Nose is loaded with dark chocolates, burnt malts and coffee.

Flavor is not so much complex as an intense wallop of coffee and dark chocolate. The coffee flavor is similar to when the pot is left a bit too long on the burner and the beer sours and bitters. Not too bad, but enough to notice. Also, if it is possible, I swear that in addition to the dark chocolate there is also a bit of white chocolate dribbled in the flavor. Not much in the way of any hops. Maybe a bit towards the end but I think I have that confused with the bitterness from the coffee and chocolate. Heavy and thick body that just clings to the cheeks like a nice dark roast. Quite relaxing and soothing too. Extremely smooth drinking, but just make sure you don't mind the taste of coffee in your beer.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

From a 12 oz. bottle. Funny picture on it.

A: Wow, this is opaque and thick on the pour, generating a 2 finger dark tan head.

S: Bitter chocolate, dark roasted coffee... lots of it.

T: Big and bold, but not out of balance. Bitter chocolate, coffee, booze, and some sharp roasted barley. Finishes with a good bitterness, mostly from chocolate.

M: Smooth and viscous. Might get some of this from the oatmeal. Carbonation is nice; not too high.

D: Well, this is pretty drinkable for a beer its size. Whaddya expect? You're not going to be pounding these. This is a sipper. I sipped it slow while building some shelves... opened it after I'd finished with the power tools, which was good because the alcohol may make you a teeny bit silly.

Very enjoyable. Glad I transported these back after my latest Midwest trip.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

2 finger head, caramel toffee cream colored, pitch black other wise. Ok it's lovely.

The coffee stink it the first thing i noticed in this beer (stink in a nice way lol). Actually, it's espresso strong. Oddly I've never noticed this before as I've had this beer 3-4 times before. Thank you Delirium glass! Some malt and maybe some roasted coco in there as well?

Finishes with the coffee flavor. Burnt malt opens this beer. There's a touch of coco but hardly anything strong here. A touch cool we'll let this bad boy warm. Room temp now and to be honest it's just sweeter and perhaps not as good. The chocolate might be more pronounced but the coffee/espresso flavor is far less impressive. Drink under 65 degrees I think is the rule here, not to say you should have this nearly frozen like a macro!

This is a thick stout but FAR FAR from a monster stout expectation. Truly amazing how drinkable this is.

The mouth is great. Silky, thin for a stout, but thick otherwise. Carbonation is still here, but not over powering. A truly DRINKABLE sipper.

OK this isn't a top 10 beer (are you kidding me?) but it's amazing stuff and at 10 for a 4 pack it might be a top 10 value beer. Beyond worthy of a try.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Received in a BIF from feloniousmonk...thanks again...

I think the room got darker when I poured this beer out. So...body is the color of burnt motor oil. Head was about 1/2" thick on the pour: dark chocolate milk in color. Slowly reduced to a think bubble layer.

Aroma is semi sweet chocolate with strong overtones of alcohol. A nice concotion of dark coffee with some toffee, fudge flavors swirled in. Alcohol is a bit stronger than expected but offers some additional complexity with the dark fruit aromas which I usually associated with higher abv stouts.

A near-perfect blend of all of the components which went into it. Individual flavors associated with chocolate can be picked up initially. Then a dark coffee comes through. The oatmeal is present in the "dryer" taste which works to meld the chocolate and coffee together. Also has a bit of a lactic/milk characteristic which gives it an overall sweetness. The only complaint I have is the alcohol strength which I find a bit astringent and reduces how smooth this beer can be.

Mouthfeel is oily, creamy, and silky on the tongue. Unlike any other beer I have had. This is the definition of full bodied.

Drinkability is brought down due to the alcohol. I generally don't mind strong brews and an alcohol presence, but I feel it is a little overdone in this case and almost astringent at some points.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

2012 Batch... Picked up a few four zingers from total wine... This is one of my favorite seasonal releases, looking forward to making a dent in there 2012 batch.

A- Dark, Brown Thick... kaki/tan thin layer head that dissipates quickly.

S- Coffee, Espresso, Deep dark chocolate notes. hints of oatmeal and syrup sweetness in the far background.

T- Exactly what i remember. Deep coffee and espresso w/ dark chocolate notes infused. mighty fine stout. Deep intense flavor, no alc bite to speak of.

M -Smooth medium/heavy bodied. moderate carbonation... Carpet of refreshing silk on the tongue. outstanding

O- An outstanding stout, Founders definitely puts some excellent beers out... As the name implies I absolutely could drink this for breakfast, but im afraid coffee will need to suffice. The thing that i love with this beer is the mouth feel and deep intense flavor that works hand in hand.

Also compared this side by side to a bottle from last years batch that I aged a year over... Bitterness slightly dropped and sweetness shined through. An outstanding beer to cellar, will def be doing that exercise again.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to Tieman for sharing this! Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an oversized snifter. Short pour, so not much head, some decent lacing though. Looks like coffee mixed with cherry coke. LOTS of roasted coffee on the nose. Burnt coffee grounds even. But in a good way. Light chocolate and some roasted malt. A light caramel sweetness is the first taste to hit my tongue and then a blast of lower cacao dark chocolate. Really rich roasty burnt toasty coffee. Flavor to spare. Mouthfeel is really thin for all the flavor and scent. Almost could knock out a whole 6 pack of this though I think. Dangerous! Great stuff.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company