Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,795 | Ratings: 16,408

Pours a rich black color with a dark tan one finger head which recedes to a thick a lace on the top of the glass. Smells of coffee, chocolate and burnt malts.

Fantastic!

Amazingly balanced. So many layers of flavors. There must be an immense amount of malts and hops in this one, all of which blend together beautifully. Thick, chewy, and huge in body. Tastes of coffee, chocolate, caramel and toffee up front. Surprisingly though, there is very little sweetness. A bittering citric and herbal hop presence stings the back of the tongue just in time to wash away any flavor that would try to overstay its visit in your mouth.

This beer has a good reputation and for good reason. Can't wait til we get it back in stock at my store.

So I had heard that founders breakfast stout is amazing. I didn't think it could live up to all the hype, but it has. This is a fantastic dark and smooth stout. Being a double chocolate stout I expected it to be on the sweet side, but it was perfectly balanced. Without a doubt my go to stout now. Absolutely fantastic. If you see it, get it. You will not be disappointed.

A- Thin tan head completely opaque with great retention, ideal at slightly below a cool temperature 45-50.

S- After a sifter of the KBS, I found the Breakfast to have mostly Chocolate aromas, with some roasted/coffee coming through as I drank it.

T- Complexity improves as it warms. Liquid Breakfast, I actually had malted pancakes before drinking this. I would even recommend trying it over vanilla ice cream or with a piece of apple crisp. It tastes roasty and chocolatey at the beginning with the dark fruit and bitterness of an imperial at the end. Worth the drive if you are within 100 miles of a distributor.

M- Definitely an oatmeal feel with the malty sweetness on the sides of the tongue. It surprised me once again how subtle any alcohol feel/dryness are left afterword. They could amp up the ABV even more and it wouldn't be turned down.

Serving type: on-tap at Founders

Have had this several times and enjoy every minute of it. Great movie addition-to chill to one that is.

A: Dark with nice mocha head on it. Nice lacing.
S: Strong, coffee, charcoal, chocolate moca, spice.
T: Strong due to ABV, but one you can chill to sip after sip.
M: Strong bold and gripping. Full body and full of strong flavor.
O: Give this one a shot or two...stock up for a nice warm wint

One of the best stouts I have ever had. It has lower ABV than most stouts that I have consumed but I does not lack deep character that the others possess. Many sweet notes, easy to drink any time of day. As they always say, it is noon somewhere.

A: pours dark black, small tan head.

S: roasted malt smell, chocolate, coffee, chocolate, coffee

T: its malty goodness in a glass. Chocolate hits you right away, the coffee is there, but its sweet.. not bitter, very sweet but its not a bad thing. The alcohol is very very well hidden.

M: Perfect in my opinion. its very smooth, its silky but not too thick. For such a flavorful brew, its Very drinkable.

O: amazing stout its great in my opinion, it is bold, yet sweet, strong yet subtle. It has flavor! Its crafted with quality ingredients. I understand sweetness in a beer isnt everyones cup of tea, but this is a grade A quality beer. A 12oz bottle ran me $2.75 and i had it on tap at barleys taproom in greenville for $5. Its affordable. For the style it gets a 10 out of 10. Its an amazing beer and i say everyone should try it. Cheers

Everything about this Founders is incredible. Poured the 12oz bottle into a Sprecher snifter. Thick dirty black with a pretty rising tan head. Heavy aromas of chocolate, mocha, coffee, roast, vanilla...awesome. Full body with low carbonation makes this an awesome dessert beer.

One of the best beers by far. Imperial Stout that has the malty, chocolate, and coffee flavors that put this over the top. There is just a little bite of bitterness from the hops but overall a smooth beer that has few equals.

Another favorite! Had it at the Stout on 33rd West by 1 Pen Plaza NYC. I must say it has a lovely aroma with a twist of bitter cream. The body was very filling and satisfying. I enjoyed it so much i had 4 in one sitting and didn't make it back to work. The cream stout taste leave your pallet satisfy and refreshed. I would recommend the beer to any women you wish to have a great time with.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this beer, I have always been hesitant to order, buy coffee stouts as the coffee flavor is too strong. HOWEVER, I ordered this beer on tap at Bryant Lake Bowl in Minneapolis and fell in love! The beer had an amazing feel and combination of flavor between coffee (kona coffee) and chocolate. I would highly recommend this beer.

What Auraan said exactly as described. First try of this beer thought omg this really is for breakfast what a great way to start the morning. High ABV it is not for seriously thinking you will get anything else done besides lift sip enjoy repeat. Flavor really opens the longer it sits and warms a bit. Been waiting months for it to come back into season.

Beautiful black liquid with minimal coffee-colored head. Smells of delicious coffee and chocolate malt. Taste is decadent, very smooth to begin with, later warming up to chocolate and coffee with a hint of booze. Very smooth mouthfeel. Slightly bitter finish.

I'm sold, one of the best oatmeal stouts I've ever had.

I love this stout. 8.3%? You'd never know...drink and enjoy all night long. I'm not sure how a stout gets better than this. As soon as the thermometer drops below 30 feed me this every Friday night.

On tap or in the bottle...equally good. Founders has a beer god at the helm.

ODE TO A BREAKFAST STOUT

O'er the years I've loved many beers
Thought I knew them in and out
But I never truly loved a beer
Til I tried Founders Breakfast Stout

Perchance it was the silky pour
That opened up my eyes
Mysterious jet black liquid
Mocha foam, the perfect size

If I thought she looked a beauty
I was even more impressed
By her chocolate and coffee aroma
Just a whiff made me feel blessed

What truly won me over
Made my heart begin to race
Was bringing the glass to my lips
And taking that very first taste

Coffee as strong and thick as tar
Chocolate as sweet as a Hershey's bar
Oatmeal as smooth as an elegant dame
So complex, and yet a delight just the same

You may say I've lost my senses
That my mind has taken flight
But if loving a beer is wrong
My friends, I don't want to be right

Holy Motherpuncher! In love with the Dark Side. I would consider this more like dessert than breakfast. Founder's Breakfast Stout most certainly lives up to the hype. Decadent roasted malts with huge chocolate flavor, with hints of smoke like a cigar. Was expecting a dominant Kona coffee flavor, but this was more subtle. The ABV of 8.3% is a little low for a stout, but the pure decadence makes up for this. This beer is currently rated as #28 out of Beer advocate ' s Top 250 beers, and I feel like it should be higher. Probably the smoothest stout I've ever had, and overall one of the best stouts I've ever had. I rarely give a perfect score, but I give this one a perfect 100/100 points.

A; Dark black with a thick chocolate malt head

s: fresh ground espresso beans, bitter chocolate, and slow roasted grains.

t: dark chocolate, espresso, toffee, dark cherries, caramelized brown sugar, and deep roasted malts..

m: Get me a spoon. absolutely perfect.

d: Where do I get more????.

Poured into an Ikea snifter. The liquid is pitch black, and the pour kicks up a modest head that fades quickly to a film but leaves lots of lace.

Aroma is really nice coffee, chocolate, and hints of dark fruit and a slight warming character, with a bit of lactic tartness. The coffee aromas are really great - perfect amount of roast character without being charred.

Flavor is, again, really great coffee and chocolate. The coffee brings with it some really nice dark fruit and almost vinous flavors, and the chocolate is fairly dark, but the lactic tartness brings out some sweetness from it too, becoming a really nice blend of dark and milk chocolate. There are also some weird wheat bread flavors, becoming kind of brownie-ish. Finish is slightly bitter, and the aftertaste brings out some caramel in addition to the coffee and chocolate.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a high amount of carbonation - really nicely silky.

Overall, my absolute favorite readily-available coffee beer. The coffee flavors are absolutely perfect, and even better than most coffee products out there! Coffee is the beverage I cheat on beer with during the day, so I loooove when beers incorporate good coffee flavors (instead of the usual overly-roasted mess), and this one is the best of the best. The balance of bitterness and sweetness is perfect, and there is absolutely nothing I would change about this. This is a staple that I wait all spring and summer for. Just absolutely wonderful.

There are those certain things (or beers) that give you that "Oh my god" effect....and this beer does that for me. Three of my favorite things in this world are beer, coffee, and chocolate and I get all of that in this one beverage. Absolutely amazing....

Received as part of Black Booty '08 from ahatcher78 - many thanks.

Black as night, no light at all comes through. Looks thick and viscous while being poured. Cocoa colored one-fingered head that settles to a thin cap, and leaves sporadic lacing behind.

Incredible aroma - Lots of roasty and sweet malt goodness. Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, a touch of vanilla, and a hint of alcohol. So inviting.

Flavor is similar to aroma. Starts of with roasted bitterness - bittersweet chocolate and espresso. The beer then instantly sweetens up with milk and dark chocolate, oatmeal, and vanilla. Some herbal hops and spice as well. Notes of sherry, oak, and a light warming alcohol burn. Finish is a battle between sweet malt and dry roast. Absolutely delicious.

Rich and full-bodied, velvety smooth, viscous, thick and chewy. Incredible drinkability - but this is my only bottle!! Perfect amount of alcohol. Wonderfully balanced. Just an exceptional beer that lives up to the hype.

WOW! If you love stouts, then you'll love this. Strong notes of chocolate, coffee & caramel on a strong malt backbone. Rather high IBU for a stout, but hard to tell except for a slight bitter aftertaste.

I hate beers with goofy ingredients. So I was doubtful I'd like a beer with chocolate and coffee.

I love this beer. It smacks your whole palate like a 327 lb. lineman, then runs you over. It's so wonderful to drink in the fall with the cool air, and a good rain. I'll be sad to see it leave the growler in my fridge knowing that it won't be there next time I walk into my favorite wine/beer shop.

It won't get you over seasonal depression, but it will make you not care about it so much.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours out of the bottle absolutely black and with the consistancy of old burnt motor oil from a junkyard engine. Wonderful whipped coffee mousse head that recedes to a brown film that resembles the crema (sp?), that lighter brown foam skim, on the top of a perfectly made espresso.

S: Huge nose of roasted coffee, toasted malt, and fresh-baked oatmeal raisin cookies.

T: Big and bold flavors flying all over the place! Roasted coffee, toasted malt, brown sugar, espresso, molassas, oatmeal, bitter chocolate, hops, and burnt stuff.

M: Thick and chewy. This stuff actually pours like Vitamin D chocolate milk so it's silky and creamy like liquid velvet. It completely coats the tongue allowing the finish to linger and develop.

D: Drinkability is off the scale. It's like drinking the best oatmeal stout and the finest espresso while eating a plate of homemade bitter chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies. Alcohol? Shmalcohol. There are so many wonderfully complex flavors and aromas going on here you will totally forget that it's packing 8.3% abv (that's really not that high anymore, is it?). This deserves all of the accolades heaped upon it and then some. Extrordinary!

A: Pitch black and thick with a towering dark coffee colored foaming head. Heavy lacing.

S: Nice roasted coffee and chocolate.

T&M: Full-bodied, smooth, thick and chewy feel on the palate. Oatmeal, roasted malt with a hoppy character mingled in - some herbal spice and leaf. Bitter chocolate. Plenty of coffee flavors. Hints of sherry in the warming alcohol, with a low spice. Sweet malts and dry, bitter alcohol burn.

Breakfast Stout? One of the most interesting American Double Stouts on planet Earth. Absolutely delicious. I've tried this in the bottle previously and a special aged '08 the same night as this one. The fresher the better. I didn't particularly care the '08 as the alcohol scent and taste is accentuated.

Poured from the bottle into a clean tulip glass - this one I wanted to be able to capture the aroma and look of it -

It poured a beautiful black velvet with medium dark head that sat upon the black as sin body. The Aroma of this beer immediately hit my nose and began making me want more. As I drew closer to the glass, getting nearer to the tulip. the most amazing and perfect smell of coffee with hints of dark chocolate arise. Perfectly roasted beans tantalize the nose!

Taste - this is where it all comes together - nice dark and roasted malts hit you first, sliding over the palate where it dances on your tongue where bitter and dark chocolate flavors meet and combine into this fantastic brew.

Mouthfeel - a bit more on the medium to heavy side, the carbonation is perfect for the style.

Overall - this is my favorite stout, I have yet to have a better stout than this one. I always look forward to it's arrival on the shelves and I'm enjoying my last one tonight. What a world-class beer!

This beer was obtained in trade from Frozensoul327. Thanks Eric! And thanks in advance for sending a spare!

This one poured out a very dark brown/black, with a one and a half finger head that started out a dark chocolate brown and faded to a medium tan. I know it was clear when I poured it, because I could tell from what I was pouring... but I don't think a ruby laser could cut through this puppy now.

Aroma was bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruits, roasted barley, and hints of coffee... very powerful and layered. Damn, this one was incredible.

Taste was of strong roasted malts, coffee, and some bitter chocolate. I could tell there was some oatmeal in there as well.

Mouthfeel was perfect... deep, rich, chewy, smooth, silky, all rolled into one. It held onto the tongue just long enough to impart all the nuances of flavor.

Drinkability... well, it is taking all that I have not to run downstairs and grab the other one I have in my special locked cabinet.

This was truly an interesting experience. For a long time I did not like the darker, roasted beers, but I have really gotten a taste for them now. I still prefer IPA's, but these are so different, I am really learning that you can love more than one style equally.

This is a bittersweet review, as well. As I began this review, I found off of Yahoo that Eddie Guerrero, a wrestler with the WWE, was found dead in his hotel room this morning. So this glass is lifted in his honor. I could not find a better beer to toast someone of his caliber with.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company