Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Ratings: 16,532 |  Reviews: 3,811

Easy to find and reasonably priced unlike 3 Floyds here. Grocery stores have it even. Pours a dark coffee color with excellent lacing. Most times will just drink it from the bottle and drink it fast as I cannot get enough. Tastes like excellent coffee, and dark chocolate (slight toffee and caramel notes with a little oatmeal). Predominately coffee and chocolate. I honestly could drink this when I wake up! Have to say this is one of the best beers I have ever had.

Frankly this is the cat's meow, the shizzle for my nizzle, or a like a great lay. Usually I will drink one to two of these beers at a time always wanting to drink more of it. Once and only once did I drink four in rapid succession going into the City of Chicago on Metra (yes they let you drink on the train which is strange since I am from Indiana and even though I left that state 15 years ago I still feel like I might get arrested for drinking on Metra it just still feels strange). After four of these beers I felt absolutely fantastic. My buzz or drunken haze was perfect. My burps were chocolate and coffee notes and a wonderful full feeling as if I had a great meal when I did't eat much that day. It also isn't overly filling for a Stout. This is probably one of the best beers made by anyone, and that I have had or will have (I just cannot say anything about his beer is wrong. It's liquid courage or a complete diet.

My father who never really drank in 72 years of life, who I have only seen drunk 2 times (with one large Sapporo in Las Vegas (the first time) and a strong Irish Coffee the second time (I am 42 and I have only seem drink a handful of times) drank this beer in 5 minutes and immediately wanted more. He was begging me to find out where to buy this and immediately ran out and bought some. Mind you this is a person who rarely if ever drinks. This beer is what ever Stout strives to be or should be it is that good.

A PERFECT SCORE indeed and the only perfect five I have given!

Poured a deep, gorgeous black body with no light shining through at all and a one finger thick tan stout head. A very good looking stout, perfect for the style. Scents of rich black coffee, dark chocolate, cocoa powder and roast malt. Coffee is the most abundant aroma and is simply wonderful. Overall impression of aroma is of a rich, deep, wonderfully coffee-forward stout. Flavor begins with a strong flavor of dark roast coffee, with just a touch of cream and flavors of rich dark chocolate and cocoa. This moves into a middle that is even more coffee-forward, strongly reminiscent of dark roasted beans before being brewed, with lesser notes of cream, roast malt and hints of cocoa. Finish is coffee-forward, with notes of roast malt, cocoa powder and very dark chocolate and faint alcohol. Aftertaste is rich dark chocolate, strong notes of black coffee and dark roasted malt. Overall impression of flavor is of a nicely coffee-forward stout that keeps from being one note with the wonderful cocoa, dark chocolate and cocoa. Mouthfeel is full bodied with moderate carbonation and smooth, creamy feel. Overall impression mouthfeel is of a nicely rich and creamy Imperial stout that is full bodied, yet not overwhelming and is vey pleasant to drink. Overall this is an excellent Imperial stout that has a wonderful aroma and flavor that are both rich, full and coffee-forward and are not too rich, but perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel aids drinkability and the entire beer is simply wonderful.

My favorite beer to date. Great color smell feel and taste. An amazing black color and thick consistency. Strong flavors of chocolate and coffee.

Poured thickly into a pint glass. Back with a tan head (half inch head). Lacing resides after pour.

S: abundance of chocolate and coffee.

T: Taste as good as it smells. coffee, chocolate, rich and malty

M; Thick, syrupy, full beer, truly worthy of the name "breakfast stout"

: terrific stout, a beer to be had at breakfast or any time of the day ( the latter my personal preference)

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company