Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,678 | Ratings: 15,907

Walked into Armaneti's on Lincoln to see if there was anything new...and what did I see? Cases of Founders Breakfest Stout staring at me. Must try.

Bottle poured into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A - Thick creamy darkness. As dark as the Dark Lord.

S - Coffee, chicory and maybe my mind is playing games but a bit like cooking bacon. Yumm..

T - Really delicious. I'm not a stout guy but this is really good. Now the chocalate comes but very muted by the coffee.

M - Creamy almost like from a nitro tap. Very low carbonation - excellent.

D - Wow. Granted this is not really an Imperial Stout but the alc still comes in at 8.3. Amazinly easy and pleasurable to drink.

Must say I'm really impressed with this. Had Dark Lord and for the money this is better. Founders makes incredible beer - would love to try the Kentucky Bourbon version.

Poured from a bottle into pint glass
A - jet black pour, small expresso head, lotsa lacing
S - coffee, and chocolate
T - even more coffee and chocolate, and some fruity nights that are hard for me to detect
M - wonderfully smooth
O - absolutely amazing beer, completely lived up to the hype I have heard about it, Not my favourite, or an everyday beer, but possible the best I have ever had

Served on tap in my home bar. As good as it gets. Black as night with a perfect brown head. Smell is of iced coffee and semisweet chocolate. Flavor is roasted but not such that it over powers your palette. Sip it slowly because it gets better as it warms. Make sure to pour into a glass that allows a good whiff with every sip.

The "gold standard" of coffee stouts. perfection. Coffee on the nose, but not too overpowering that the the toasted malt disappears. The taste is simply everything you expect from a balanced stout. The malt characteristics of the stout are nicely balanced with the maltiness of the stout. For anyone looking to brew a perfect breakfast stout, this is what should be used as a guideline (IMHO).

Tapped into a mug.

Appearance - Medium to deep brown head with solid retention. black body. Good stick.

Smell - Cappuccino. Cinnamon. Coffee. Maybe a mocha. Complex and delicious.

Taste - Explosion of complexity. Iced coffee mocha/cappuccino all the way.

Mouthfeel - Explosive effervescence. No astringency. Somewhat creamy head.

Overall Drinkability - No off flavors whatsoever. Best imperial stout I've had since The Abyss. Maybe even better.

A- Next to black with a dark tan head. Almost impossible to see through. Uh-mazing.

S- Dark chocolate, like the kind my friends brought back from Germany. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, oats, almost chocolate milkshake-like. So, so inviting.

T- Everything in the nose plus more. So much that my tongue can't even decipher them all. A bit of an alcohol kick in the end. Unbelievable.

M- Thick, with a perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is hearty enough that it could be breakfast in and of itself. And I don't mean a bowl of Cheerios in the morning. This is hearty like biscuits and gravy, an omelet, bacon, sausage, toast, a muffin, cornbread, quiche, orange juice, and a big glass of milk. A beer that truly lives up to its name.

D- What else can I say? I can't believe I'm giving this all 5's, but I honestly can't find a single thing that could improve with this beer. This is definitely the best stout I've ever tried, if not the best beer. Excellent.

This has the PERFECT look, no light shining through and a very dark caramel head. Has a great smell of chocolate and roasted coffee. And tastes just like it smells.

Again, yet another beer by Founders that say's, "we've been doing this for a while".

Is this the best breakfast in town? as long as my wife doesn't read this you bet.

I love coffee and could live on chocalate. Well somehow that's what they stuffed in this bottle.

The mouth feel is silky and rich with classic notes of premium coffee. Everything about this say bold yet ballanced.

Founders has quickly become a safe bet for me. I simply have loved everything I've had from them and this is no exception.

Got a hold of growler from a keg just tapped (last year's brew). Pours super black with little foamy head. Smells like coffee. Tastes like coffee. Is freaking awesome. What else do you want to know? Is more bitter than sweet. Still delicious. Like it even better when it warms up a bit.

None better. I have enjoyed this at the brewery in Grand Rapids as well as poured from the bottle.

I love sharing this beer with friends and watching the expressions on their faces as they enjoy a great breakfast stout.

I hate to jump on the coat-tails of everyone else on this one but that is great stout. Appearance is black with no light getting through, with slight bit of head and lacing. Richest and finest aroma of stout or coffee for that matter that I've had without a doubt.Its like drinking the best chocolate covered coffee bean you could find.THe oatmeal must be there to enrich the flavour even more.Its so good I just wanna sip it.Really I've tried many stouts this is the best! LOve it ! Ready to buy whats left on the shelf. Wait would that be bad beer karma? More like an empty wallet.

My first review so bear with me. Got one of the last 4 packs at Green's in Atlanta. 12 oz bottle with a 9-28-11 bottled on date.

A- Pure black. Big head that lowered after a few minutes. Good lacing.

S- I just said "holy shit." It smells like coffee and chocolate. Almost like a porter but way better. I could smell it when it was sitting far away from me.

T- Tastes like a chocolate/coffee milkshake without the ice cream. Delicious. Best beer I've ever tasted so far.

M - Very Creamy

O - Best beer I've ever had besides CBS. It lives up to the hype.

A - The appearance of FBS is exactly what you'd expect from a coffee/oatmeal imperial stout. You could pour this into a coffee mug and it would look like you're drinking black coffee.

S - Coffee, coffee, vanilla, coffee, roasted malt and coffee.

T - Lovely, complex roasted malts and coffees with a bit of vanilla. Taste develops as it warms. I prefer this beer after letting it sit for about 15 minutes. Fridge cold isn't the way to enjoy it. This is low in ABV for an imperial, so there isn't much boozy burn.

M - Very silky. Think about licking a cone of premium dark chocolate ice cream and you're in the ballpark. This isn't like motor oil in your mouth, but it has a nice, light creaminess to it.

O - There is a reason I bought 3 4-packs of this stuff. I plan on enjoying these well into the fall and hopefully into the winter if I can resist drinking them all.

Poured from bottle into a wide-mouthed chalice

A: Deep black with about half a finger of beautiful light brown head. Head dissipates to some wisps on the surface and a ring

S: Rich dark chocolate, with a hint of malt and caramel sweetness. Very appealing, very inviting. No discernible hop aromas.

T: Chocolate, malt sweetness, no hops taste, except some balance from the bittering hops. Absolutely delicious

M: Creamy, full mouthfeel.

O: An excellent beer. Tastes amazing, looks amazing, and smells amazing. A winner.

Served in a 12oz. Duvel tulip glass.

A: Dark black with a small tan head that dissipates quickly leaves a nice filmy lacing.

S: Wow! Simply wonderful aromas going on here. Getting lots of dark chocolate upfront followed by coffee and roasted malts.

T: Tastes just like it smells. Wonderfully smooth, creamy, chocolaty, malty, and a slight caramel flavor on the backend. Amazing balance going on. Moderate carbonation which is perfect for this style. Could easily drink this for breakfast with some scrambled eggs, a side of bacon, over some maple syrup.

O: This is a very well done stout. You can taste the dedication and effort that founders puts into this beer. Awesome aroma and flavor. Not bitter at all. It packs a little punch at 8.5% ALC but you don't taste it. I am so thankful I live close by founders. One of the worlds top craft brewers in my opinion. Brewed for us!

I obviously really enjoy this beer. I drink stout beer every chance I get and I find myself comparing a lot of them to this beer. The right amount of coffee with the light nuance of dark chocolate makes me a happy beer drinker. I can detect the taste of a fine stout with a smoky undertone.

had on tap 7/18 at The Dirty Truth
I didn't think that one of my favorite beers could get any better... and then I had it on tap. Sweet baby jesus...
This beer poured an opaque black color with a thick, frothy, dark tan head. Great head retention with tons of thick sticky lacng that coated the glass. The coffee nose on this is far more intense on tap than in the bottle, some bitter chocolate and roasted malt notes dance in the background but it's all about the coffee with this one. The first go 'round I rated this beer as a 5 on the taste and having it on tap only solidifies the 5 stance. Insane coffee flavoring. It's prominent and in your face but not over the top. Roasted malt flavoring evens it out a bit in the middle and and creamy flavoring mixed with a deep bitter chocolate round this out at the end. The flavor on this baby was really, really intense. I you like coffee, you'll love this! Even though roasted coffee was the main flavor there was good balance here. I noticed some malts and some cream flavor and maybe some bittersweet chocolate in the finish. This is a full bodied, low carbonation, rich, silky and creamy body with a thick sticky finish to it. In this case, my 5 drinkability lends more to simply sitting and enjoying rather than sessionable. Though... in bottle form I've put a few back. I've always known draft was better but I didn't think FBS could be improved.

Saved my last bottle for 5 months to savor the flavor. Color is pitch black-almost intimidatingly so. Great mix of coffee and dark chocolate in the aroma. You can almost see the coffee grounds in there-its not overpowering but just so "real" like youd find in a cup of coffee in front of you. Flavor of roasted malt with a mix of chocolate is amazing. Theres a lingering sweetness like youd find in a chunk of semi sweet chocolate. Nice grainy flavor in there as well. The harmonious mix of this beer is incredible. Killer body-I cant think of any beer this full tasting going down this smooth-especially a stout. Its almost slamable! Just an incredible beer overall. This is truely a stout to calibrate others against.

For years I was entrenched in European beers like Guinness and Newcastle, until some friends of mine stared introducing me to smaller Midwestern breweries that I started to realise that there was more to beer than what was being imported.

This is one such beer. It's chocolate smell and flavor, mixed with the Sumatra and Kona beans and it's rich and smooth texture makes it a delight to drink. I was amazed at the first sip and couldn't put down my glass until it was empty. This is one beer that most definitely deserves it's "Imperial" stout designation.

If this beer was available to me in the late 80's/early 90's, I would have picked it over the other 2 I was accustomed to drinking. I am adding this to my permanent list of "must drink" beer and would recommend anyone who enjoys an imperial stout to try this one as soon as they can.

This beer is excellent. The color is very dark almost black. Its a strong stout but goes down super smooth. It has oatmeal, coffee, and chocolate in it and you taste all of those. Its a beer you drink slowly to enjoy the flavor. Goes perfect with great meal as the drink. Its a very filling beer and I wouldn't be surprised if it had 200 calories or more per 12 oz bottle (never bothered to look it up since I don't care about that). Only available Late October, November, and December so thats a big disappointment. A 4 pack of 12 oz bottles cost $12 so its very pricey but worth it. This hands down is my favorite stout.
Avoid this stout if you care about the price and calories. If you don't I recommend this stout to everybody.

This beer has always been the benchmark of a perfect breakfast stout! It pours a magical deep black with a nice frothy tan head on top. The aroma distinctly blends bittersweet chocolate with a healthy amount of roasted coffee. Each sip reveals the smoothly blended magical flavors of chocolate and coffee. The addition of making this an Oatmeal Stout definitely helps make this huge beer an easy sipper along with adding some needed fullness to the body. Each sip lingers delicious chocolate and coffee begging you to take another one.

A: 5 - Pitch black with a half-finger cinnamon head.

S: 5 - Coffee. Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Thank god I love coffee! On a second whiff I pick up more of the chocolate. This is heaven for a coffee lover.

T: 5 - This is spectacular. Absolutely spectacular. The smell was a little overpowering with coffee (no complaints here), but the taste, to me, is much more balanced with both the coffee and chocolate coming together to form this orgasm in my mouth. People on here were saying that this year's batch is way too heavy on the coffee, but I disagree. I think it's superbly balanced and I may or may not have shed a tear with the first drink.

M: 5 - Creamy as hell and exceptionally easy drinking. Thanks oats!

O: 5 - This is an f-ing amazing beer. Straight up. It embodies three of my favorite things in life: stouts, coffee, and chocolate. I know I love this beer probably more than the average person, but as a huge coffee drinker and chocolate lover, this is the holy grail. Granted, I haven't had everything out there, but to date, this is the best I've had. I love it.

One of my favorite beers of all time. Everything about it is just perfect, beautiful to look at, a great nose, fabulous flavors, and a smooth mouthfeel. Just wish I could buy it year round.

This might be my favorite beer!

Poured the color of chocolate bar. Poured into a Ommegang tulup glass. So I poured directly at the bottom and got a thick creamy head which I allowed to settle. The 8.3 was so well hidden by the complex smooth mouth and taste that I "almost" missed the alcohol. Over 30 minutes, the outstanding balance shifted from chocolate to chocolate tinged coffee. All the while the oatmeal background made the transition as sooth as silk with a constant mouth throughout. Absolutely loved the head laces on the glass when it was empty.

If you enjoy this type beer don't miss it. Simply among, if not the best of its type I've ever had

A - Deep brown to black colored body. Think brown lively head. Long lasting and well laced.

S - Tons of chocolate up front. Complex coffee, oatmeal, and earthy notes behind the more obvious chocolate.

T - Heavy amount of coffee in the very front. Swiftly followed by a rush of dark and bittersweet chocolates. A twang of bitterness is in there but it is unclear if it belongs to the roasted barley or a hop bitterness. Alcohol is very well hidden and only a slight trace remains.

M - Heaviest bodied beer I've ever had. Very thick and sludgy. A medium low amount of carbonation.

D - One of the best beers I've ever tried. Certainly the best stout I've ever had. If you can find this beer, buy it!

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company