Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,743 | Ratings: 16,170
3.93/5  rDev -12.1%

This is a great beer if you love coffe obviously. I am not a huge coffee fan and find the coffee roast a bit too much especially in the taste. I do like the slick mouthfeel from the oatmeal and it is a good pairing with cake or other desserts that go well with coffee

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: tar black with a finger of brown head.

Smell: chocolate, coffee, slight cask barrel, little spice

Taste: coffee, chocolate, slightly bitter finish, but also sweet, cream

Feel: smooth, heavy body, sticky, slight alcohol burn but not negatively at all.

Overall: great tasting stout. If you enjoy black coffee or dark chocolate than this one is a great choice. Goes down easily, and Could drink many.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very good Stout. Lots of flavor packed in a sip. Strong coffee flavor with a smooth oaty mouthfeel and sweet chocolate finish. Only with my state sold it in stores, but apparently a baby eating oatmeal is offensive and doesn't belong on a beer bottle...live free or die!!

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Excellent Beer. Had back around Christmas 7 years ago for the first time and drink it in the winter ever since. Excellent beer to have with dessert that is for sure. Be careful or you will gain 20 lbs over the winter like I did/do...Hahahaha

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was a bit disappointed by this beer. It's taste is great, but for a BA score of 99 and "Bros" score of 100, I expected this to be my favorite beer I've ever had. Would have liked a bit more of a coffee taste, but overall very impressed. Definitely a beer I don't think I'd get sick of. The pour was smooth, and the dark color along with the chocolately smell was awesome.

Founders Breakfast Stout is another great beer. I found this beer on draft at Frisco Tap House in Columbia, MD. You must like coffee and dark beer to enjoy this one. Bottoms up!

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%

I always wondered if this thing lived up to the hype that BA brought and the other day for the first time I actually saw it in stores (This being my first September month of being a craft beer drinker).

L - Pitch black/tar color

S - Bitter dark chocolate, assorted spices (couldn't specifically identify), tobacco, heavy coffee nose (duh) and a very inviting sweet finish that surprised me. I was expecting something much darker in flavor considering the color.

T - Creamy mouth, very dominant coffee flavor but not off-putting, a slight bitterness at the end and sticks to the tongue like tar (Never go away please)

F - Wow this things for being 8% ABV and being a Stout, it sure is easy to drink! I almost couldn't believe I was drinking a beer and not just a good cup of joe.

Wow, I am very happy to be joining the Breakfast Stout fan family and this definitely is on my list from today onwards!

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L - Dark black pour with a thick mocha head. Not much lacing.
S - Smell of chocolate during the pour but coffee the rest of the way. Wow, this is nice.
F - Filled my mouth with goodness. Soft and smooth!
T - Follows the smell but more coffee. Very nice.
O - Great beer. Flavorful, tasteful but not overpowering with the coffee. What a nice blend.

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L- dark boarder line black, with a copper head less than a finger
S- chocolate and coffee aroma is evident, strong. Smells simple yet complex when found in a beer. Almost reminds me of being a kid and waking up to my parents making coffee. My curiosity of smelling something that I was too young to have. It takes me back to that smell.
T- the taste is phenomenal it comes on strong starting with the coffee then comes chocolate with what I think is an oatmeal finish. The flavors are all there and they are brought on one by one from start to finish it's delicious one of my favorite stouts.
F- rich and thick yet smooth left me what I think is an oatmeal/coffee taste. The texture of this beer and it's simple yet bursting flavors along with the order each flavor is introduced to the pallet is what makes it in my top stouts.

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours the darkest brown I've ever seen coming out of a bottle, and appear black in the glass with no light able to penetrate this brew. A large 1 1/2 think dark tan head formed, and left a decent amount of lacing. The head didn't stick around as much as I'd like, but I was using a Stein, and not a glass made to keep a head around .

Bitter coffee is in the forefront of the nose, with bittersweet chocolate riding on it's coat tails. You get a lot of roast in the nose, promising great thing ahead.

Right out of the gates you are hit with loads of malt and black coffee bitterness. It's rich and a deep flavor that really coats your tongue, staying for quite a while. On the tail end you get the bittersweet chocolate notes, with hints of plums adding a very slight sweetness to the bitter, roasty beer. The roasted character comes roaring back in the final seconds of the beer, drying the finish somewhat, leaving you wanting more. Not once is the beers high ABV ever detected.

This is possibly the most viscous beer I've ever had the pleasure of partaking in. It's sticky, it fills the mouth and assaults your taste buds in a war of attrition like no other beer I've ever had. I struggle to detect any noticeable carbonation even in this fairly fresh (bottled 9-01-2016) bottle.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Pours a deep, almost black, brown color with a half finger, khaki colored head.

Aroma: Smells like bitter dark chocolate, light roast coffee, mild cinnamon and malted grains. A gentle creamy, oatmeal smell blankets the entire aroma.

Taste: Bitter and dry upfront with flavors of black espresso, smokey, burnt toast, dark chocolate fudge, connecticut tobacco and hazelnut. There's a gentle resinous, spicy hop flavor in the background. Things gradually get sweeter as you work your way through the beer, as notes of oatmeal, vanilla beans, dairy creamer and caramel become more pronounced - however don't be mistaken, it is still quite a bitter beer - and at no time does the sweetness become dominant over the other bitter flavors.

Feel: Very filling and satisfying. Thick and viscous yet still paradoxically slugabble and drinkable. Hearty, very much like a meal in a glass. Low carbonation, heavy body. Alcoholic heat is slightly noticeable, but understated and actually very pleasant, providing a nice warming sensation as the beer goes down.

Overall Comments: Very enjoyable. A really nice presentation of flavors here ranging from nuts, to grains, to coffee, to chocolate, to hops, to spices... although it packs big flavor, it's intensity never really becomes taxing or exacerbating to the palate. Highly drinkable and thirst quenching for such a flavorful, almost 8.5% imperial stout.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black with small tan head. Leaves nice spiderweb lace. Smells of barley and coffee. Tastes of chocolate with a hint of whiskey giving a warm, smooth alcohol finish. The coffee taste mostly comes through in the aftertaste.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Finger.5 tan head with creamy bubbles on the side and big rocky in the middle.. poured dark brown but black in the glass

Immediately hit with roasted malts, expresso coffee, like coffee being brewed, small amount of chocolate on the back

Roasty up front with big coffee and chocolate bitterness, pepper skin, malt sweetness on the finish

Medium feel

Overall great beer

I've heard about this for a long time and finally pulled the trigger tonight. Poured a 12 oz. bottled one month ago into a Nonic. The lighter brown head was huge over the dark brown liquid. The smell was rich and complex as was the taste and feel. This is just a perfect example of the style fully deserving of the praise it's received.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I bought this 4- pack from a gas station, and realized after I got it home that it's from last years batch. (bottled on 9/1/15) So it's aged over a year on a shelf in the light. I'm not a real big stout drinker, this is one of the first I have ever had. The beer poured with a nice tan head that dissipated quickly. The beer was almost black. It's a very appealing beer, looks wise. It smells of oak, chocolate, and bourbon. The more and more I smell this beer, bourbon just keeps popping out at me. I cannot really taste the coffee like most say they can. I can really taste chocolate, malt, and the light bitterness of bourbon as it is going down. An overall pleasant tasting beer with a smooth finish. The 8.3ABV helps the feels as well! This was a pleasant beer. Although my experience with his beer has seemed a lot different than other reviews, It was still pretty good and I would recommend. I'm not sure if my experience has anything to do with the age, but I doubt it. I will be buying a new 4-pack in the near future.

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a bottle, pours an opaque black with one finger dark mocha head. Aroma is all malty. Taste is a bitter coffee/espresso. For someone who loved both beer and coffee, this is a goft from G*d! Flavors are rich, true, and lasting. Carbonation is decent and mouth-feel is fulsome. A world-class beer!

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

L: Just a shade on the brown side of black. A little bit of medium-brown head.
S: It has enough aroma to not overpower like many coffee-focused beers. And the aroma is that of a nutty, bold, roasted coffee.
T: Coffee at the front. Coffee at the back. Chocolaty sweetness in the middle.
F: A medium-heavy body. The beer coats the tongue, lingers, and then dissipates fairly quickly.
O: This beer is truly great. The coffee and chocolate bitterness and sweetness mix so well to offer a complex flavor. You're not quite sure where the coffee ends and the chocolate begins. Each taste is just a little bit different from the last. And that is a good thing. I submit, this beer is better than it's barrel aged brother (KBS). Maybe that is blasphemy, but I don't care.

4.36/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle. Black pour with two finger mocha head, fades leaving scattered lace. Deep rich chocolate coffee aroma. Full coffee flavor, dark bitter chocolate. Bitterness fills the back end, more than I remember from this brew. Feel is on the thin side but slick. Classic coffee oatmeal stout with plenty bitterness.

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Dark beer but not inky black, nice tan head (about a finger's worth give or take). Aromas of bourbon, chocolate and coffee. Mouth feel is significantly thinner than BCBS, but still satisfying and warming, fills the mouth and pallet with complex flavors of chocolate, oats, and coffee that are complimented by the bourbon, not overwhelmed by it. Fantastic stout.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Double chocolate; Sumatra and Kona coffees; oats to balance: Classic coffee/chocolate Stout. It's FOUNDERS. Period. 'Nuff said. Slight expected bitterness on back end, but not overwhelming. You will not be disappointed. 8.3% ABV

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%

I don't normally write reviews, and I don't normally drink stouts that have extra buffed up chocolate and coffee flavors, but this beer is an exception. I've been drinking this beer for year but I think I'm finally really noticing its complexity. Smells like chocolate up front. Tastes like coffee and dark chocolate perfectly blended with oats to smooth it out, and some sort of vanilla illusion. And with enough alcohol to warm you up.

4.03/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Hmmmmm ... I've had this before and don't remember it being this overwhelmingly flavored liked a roasted coffee bean.
Something seems to have changed with this batch (9/10/2016). I remember loving and being beyond impressed with the complexity of the brew that I had about 2 months ago (maybe a little longer). This one is good but overpowered by coffee and I am having to knock the rating down a bit from the lofty heights I was expecting to give this.

L: Pours a solid dark body, a little light does pass through so it is not as inky black as some.
S: So, I am getting a strong coffee flavor - almost to the point of an espresso bean. If coffee isn't your cup of tea you aren't going to love this batch. Again I remember more depth of character in the last one I had. I enjoy the coffee smell.
T: strong coffee and some oats. Alcohol is hidden in the beer very nicely.
F: Really a well balanced feel to this beer. Medium carbonation that compliments the style well.
O: A good stout. It just doesn't seem to be the world beater that I remember from the first batch that I had.

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look : One finger brown head, solid black body.

Smell : See below.

Taste : Dark chocolate, coffee, oats, a little bit of toasted marshmallow.

Feel : Medium-full body, medium carbonation. Slight sweetness. Smooth mouthfeel, though there is a bit of an alcohol bite on the finish.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Haven’t had this one in a while, it was just re-released. Right out of the fridge I couldn’t help not tasting, mmmmm. I then restrained myself to let it warm up to get all the flavors.

Bottled 8/12/2016.

Poured into a Tulip glass.

Smooth dark pour, a finger’s worth of head, khaki color. After diminishing, rim head lasted throughout the tasting. Rim head? Is that accepted terminology? ha.

Smells are coffee, malts, and cocoa.

Taste of bitter sweet chocolate, coffee, malts, and caramel upfront. Finishes/lingers with bitter coffee and chocolate

Mouth is a full bodied feel, smooth, and light carbonation. Soft alcohol feel, no boozy ending.

Awesome beer, one of my favorite.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is a beautiful stout, dark, coffee-laced, bold and beautiful. Nice aroma of malt and coffees, some coco. Toasty coffee flavor and smooth finish. Coats your mouth and lingers. This is among my favorite stouts.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company