Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,801 | Ratings: 16,443
4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

2009 bottled release, 12 oz.

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a thick, beautiful opaque black color. You could hear the "glug" coming from the bottle into the glass, which forms a pillowy brown head that sits nicely atop the glass before slowly vanishing into a thin cap. If the glass is swirled with some generous vigor, the head will reemerge. Lacing is out of this world. The foam is gripped to the glass and remains to stick even after some swirling. I'm amazed at how delicious it is, just by looks alone. The smell is incredibly full of roasted coffee. Smells exactly like a cup of some French-pressed coffee I had this morning - so delicious. Underneath all the coffee, there are roasted malts and bittersweet chocolate. The oatmeal is not as pronounced as the others, but deep whiffs help identify it.

The taste is exactly like drinking a cup of black coffee. Roasted qualities throughout the flavor profile. Bittersweet dark chocolate then enters along with the roasted and toasted malts, as well as cooked oatmeal. A bit of the alcohol is evident, but not overpowering at all. The aftertaste is a bit bitter, probably from the roasted coffee beans. It is like that burnt coffee-type bitterness that lingers, not so much hop bitterness. This stout is - nonetheless - heavenly and mouthwatering. Founders really has a gem in this recipe. It's a total package: complex and gratifying in all aspects.

The mouthfeel is full-bodied, as it's very rich and thick in the mouth. The chewiness from the oatmeal is always a plus for me. The drinkability is a definite 5. I love my coffee and my beer. This pairing is a match made in heaven for me. I've got to get some more of this delectable brew for the winter and possibly set some off for aging. This breakfast stout has made its way as one of my favorite imperial stouts. For such a highly ranked beer, it's definitely worth all its hype. I had high expectations and it graciously satisfied all of them.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Based on all the BA praise, I had high expectations for this beer. It lived up to them.

Had it poured into a snifter-like glass. pitch black, 2 fingers of chocolate whipped cream head.

The aroma was of pipe tobacco, dark roast coffee and a touch of chocolate.

The taste was surprising, I expected a sweet bomb. It is actually very dry, a rush of dark roast coffee and bitter chocolate up front mellowing into an rich oatmeal finish. The flavors are well blended, no drastic changes, all smooth transitions.

The mouthfeel is thick and rich; a stout smoothie.

This is a beer you could sip for hours. The abv is moderate, and and not intrusive, it's not too sweet, not too bitter just a very smooth, flavorful experience.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz short bottle, 09 release, uber fresh

A: inky black with a one finger dark tan head. Now that is what a stout should look like.

S: Smells like a strong coffee, not much else coming through.

T: Ok it smells like coffee and sure tastes like coffee, big ole cup of jet black kona baby! Lots of bitter flavor, but it's a coffee bitter and it is in the right amount to make it good and not overpowering. Not
much of the chocolate coming through, it is hidden in the background.

M: Smooth. Smooth and thick, but the coffee seems to cut this brew enough to give it a rough edge so to speak.

Overall Wow big taste difference between a fresh bottle and a bottle with a year's age on it. Aging brings out the chocolate and mellows the coffee. I like this one fresh but it's better with some age.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Had on tap at The Happy Gnome along with Southern Tier's Choklate and Goose Island's Night Stalker, FBS being a clear cut above the rest...

A- A jaw dropping jet black... not sure if you can get too much more beautiful that this... Wonderful one finger head that left a fantastic lace throughout the traditional tulip glass that it was served in.

S- Coffee, Chocolate, Booze. Three wonderful things in one glass.

T- This was actually my third FBS, and each time I have had this I am in awe of how wonderfully balanced, yet thoroughly complex this beer is... The Coffee and Chocolate as well as the somewhat pronounced feel of hops is combined in such a way that is simply orgasmic...

M- Full bodied is an understatement... You practically chew this beer...

D- The thing that astounds me maybe the most is the drinkability of this beer. Granted at 8% it isn't exactly the hardest hitter as Imperial Stouts go, but I could honestly drink this again and again and again...

One of the, if not the, best beers I have ever had... AMAZING

3.35/5  rDev -25.1%

'09 release. 12oz stubby bottle (now with pry off caps!). Served in my Founders Black Party Pint glass. Seemed fitting...

A: Pours a Blacker than Black. Virtually no head. Some minimal lacing which leaves a clear film.

S: Strong roasted coffee. Lying underneath is some chocolate coco crispies. Not overly complex. If you like pungent coffee, this ones for you.

T: Just like it smells, HEAVY roasted coffee mixed with some smooth, dark chocolate. Rounding things out are some earthy hops, and roasted malts. The finish is strongly dominated by bitter coffee and a little bit of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied. Feels both heavy and light at points. Somewhat creamy and smooth, probably due to the Oatmeal. Despite the lack of head, carbonation is very solid and works with the style.

D: At 8.3%, you could probably knock back a few of these if you so desired. However, one 12oz is more than enough for me. The bitterness from the coffee is quite powerful, as that's all I can taste in my mouth now. Ugh...

I've always found Founders Breakfast Stout to be ho-hum, and never understood all the love for this brew. I've had much better coffee stouts that I feel deliver a much more satisfying and balanced experience. But then again what do I know? I seem to be in the minority of the minority on this one...

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

I honestly thought I was pouring motor oil into my glass. Jet black and looking like it has the viscosity of the stuff that runs my car, it's definitely one of the most impressive, if intimidating brews I've ever laid eyes on. Tannish head is minimal and leaves a good amount of lacing. Smell is...just wow. Dark chocolate with a nice backing of coffee and roasted malts. Very rich and full smell.

The hops present themselves right off the bat, giving the first sip a bitter kick to start off. They give way to a different bitterness that somehow manages to find a balance, the coffee taste becoming rather evident after a few moments. Dark chocolate is there as well, bit more subdued than in the smell, but it mixes well with the coffee to give the brew a great flavoring that isn't too sweet, but just right. The maltiness from the smell is also there, just enough to provide some roasted flavor. The finish is big and chewy, with a return to bitterness towards the very end that lingers into the aftertaste for quite some time. The stout is full-bodied and a bit on the heavy side, with the medium amount of carbonation allowing the creamy feel to come through while also spreading the flavor around.

Drinkability is only slightly impaired by the 8.3% ABV, you can't really taste it, but it's there. Owing to it's fullness and big body, you probably won't get through more than one in a sitting, but if you want to, more power to you. This is defiintely one of the best stouts I've ever had it's certainly deserving of all the accolades bestowed upon it. Get your hands on it if you can.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to stubone for sending me this beer in a recent trade.

A: I poured this into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass and was struck by the absolute black, viscous nature of this beer. It has a thin layer of mocha foam on top.

S: A huge wave of coffee aroma hit me right in the face, followed by bitter chocolate. A lot of roasted malt character comes through on subsequent sniffs, but I do not get much, if any oat.

T: Just like the aroma, the taste is absolutely full of coffee. The chocolate and roast malt come through in force in the middle of the palate, and then the coffee comes back and lingers on the finish. The finish, besides being full of coffee flavor, also gives an excellent bitterness, probably from the coffee and chocolate.

M: As I said in the appearance portion, this beer is very viscous. Despite the thickness, it is very smooth and goes down quite easily. The carbonation is low, but that's to be expected.

D: I was expecting this to be a really tough to take down. While it is filling, it is such a complex and delicious beer I just couldn't help but drink this and finish wanting more.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass:

Appearance and Smell-It poured a nice thick black with just the slightest bit of a brown tone to it. Head was small but a great creamy tan one which left some serious lacing before disipating. Smell was very roasty, could smell sweet dark chocolate in there which really drew me in. Coffee took a bit of backseat to that one but was definitely present. Smell really came out as it warmed a bit, could tell this was going to be a sweet one.

Taste and Mouthfeel-Taste was even better than the smell somehow. The expected chocolate was wonderful. Smelled of dark chocolate and came through a nice sweet milk chocolate like flavor which trumped the even the very roasty initial malt scent. Coffee was very present in the nice feint hoppy finish which really balanced this thing to a level of greatness. Creamy sweet feel to this brew was really superb.

Drinkabilty:This was a great brew. Very little ABV present until the last warming sip. A very sweet, extremely chewy, and unique stout. I could enjoy one of these anytime very easily.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Wow, this beer just out Guinnessed Guinness. Not only were their falling bubbles in the head, there were lines of them. The black black bottom layer, the layer of bubbly head mixed with some more beer, and a layer of just liquidy foam, all racing for the bottom, defying the rules of physics. This beer is an obsidian black, no light comes through, not even from a maglight at point blank range. The head is dark tan and creamy, leaving a great lace as it goes down.

S: For all the mention of coffee, this beer doesn't have that much of a coffee smell, more just roasted malt, including maybe some black patent and unmalted barley? It smells great, but that coffee just isn't coming through. More chocolate, and I don't smell anything resembling oatmeal. It's a pretty standard smelling beer, powerful, but not too creative. About halfway down the bowl of my Sam Adams Perfect pint glass, I just got nailed with the coffee. As it warms up, I get more of it. Much more, I need to finish before it overwhelms.

T: Hmm, I get some try roastiness but also some sweet maltiness. And here is the coffee, but still not as strong as I first expected, but more in line with what I was expecting after the smell. Its a very clean bitter, though the more I drink the more it lingers. It almost has a little sourness to it as well. As it warms, the bitter coffee becomes MUCH more evident, though I'm just not sure I'm diggin the mesh of coffee and malt. And there aren't hops, which there shouldn't be.

M: Thin, too thin. And maybe a hair too much carbonation. But all in all ok.

D: Not for me, but for a coffee lover, it's heaven

I tried this brew over a hearty burger at a local East Lansing bar, Crunchy's

Appearance: Dark, nearly completely black in color, with a small, steadfast head

Smell: Light smell of coffee and nutty undertones. Not pungent at all, welcoming

Taste: Coffee-like flavor thats very pronounced, with not so subtle hints of nuts, just as the smell warns. Maybe some carmel/chocolate-esque tastes? Rich, but not overly rich. Higher alcohol content, but wouldn't know it.

Mouthfeel: thicker, smooth and easy going down. Feels a bit like milk (but in no way is that to be what one thinks of during this incredible beer!)

Drinkability: Definitely a food beer, accompanied my burger quite well. Not an easy beer to have multiple glasses of, quite filling. Also, quite a higher alcohol content.

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Mini-tasting of greatness with atremains tonight, this and Sculpin = mouth orgasm. This is probably the fourth or fifth time I have had this baby, finally get the chance to review it. This is probably the way a stout should look, pitch black with a dark TAN two finger head that retains like a swimming pool evaporates, it sticks around for a while. This also has the thickest lacing I have ever seen, I love it, my glass is pretty much tan now instead of clear, the lacing also sticks of the glass about 1mm into the glass, crazy. Stouts should aim for this look. Smell is great here but it's probably the weakest part of the beer, somehow. It is mostly coffee and roasted malts, the chocolate doesn't really shine through for me and I would want it to more. Taste is absolutely orgasmic. You get lots of coffee, lots of oatmeal sweetness, some dark bitter chocolate and roasted malts also, there is some hoppiness in the end of the taste also, a great balance of many tastes that I love. I just picked up on a milky/vanilla flavor in the end of the taste. The mouthfeel is great for the style and this beer, it is thick like oil, has great carbonation, no real alcohol presence at all and leaves a great bitter coffee aftertaste on the tongue, another five. Drinkability is perfect for me also, the taste is enough for me to drink those one many times in the future, I don't think I would get sick of the flavors after one or two of these (would never session this one anyways), the price is fine for the amazing quality of this one, I will definitely buy this one again, thank you Founders.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Pitch black, yet somehow you can still see some of the carbonation bubbles. Wondrous mocha head, 2 fingers. Deceptively volatile, good retention. The lacing is intense on this one. Sticks to the glass like syrup, enticing to watch it slowly slide down the glass back into the brew. Pure coffee bean, chocolate in the nose. Huge coffee bitterness mellowed by a great balance of dark chocolate and oatmeal. The coffee taste on this one is great, compares the intensity of speedway or peche. Very well balanced flavors here. Very creamy on the tongue, full bodied and a nice heavy coat with the finish. The carbonation lays low here, and the alcohol is masked quite well. This is very drinkable for what it is. Coffee hates beware, coffee loves, what are you waiting for?! Well balanced and refreshing, good to finally review this one, and with a fresh release as well.

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%

I poured into a pint glass to a small brown head. It is black in color. It smells like a cup of black coffee. There is some chocolate to round it out. Intense coffee taste. A little more than I was expecting, but I guess that is why it is rated so high, for the intense flavors. I prefer a little more subtle flavor. I love the smell.

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%

On tap into a large snifter at Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont Circle, Washington, DC.

A: Brown-black with a one finger dark tan head. A picture-perfect Stout.

S: Whoah! Black coffee bitterness abounds. I was expecting a sweeter character. Just my expectations, so I was wrong. No wonder they call it "breakfast stout", this is cup of black Joe in beer form.

T: Stout it is! This beer is big in every way. The aromas carry over to the flavors. I'm not a coffee drinker (however I do like coffee ice cream), so I think I was wishing this had the coffee flavor but with a sweeter malt bill. Coffee bitterness for sure. Great after dinner coffee right here in beer form. Coffee and dessert all in one. I liked it more an more as I slowly drank through the whole glass.

M: Smooth. Bit of a creamy texture, but not overly. The coffee sort of cuts through the creaminess. Nice.

Overall: No doubt; a world class Stout. Not my first choice simply due to the abundance of coffee and more coffee. I prefer a Milk/Sweet Stout, I guess. Got to give this one props, though. And I will have it again.

Recommended.

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle received in a trade from Kryptic. Thanks for a crack at this one. Mike! Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

This one is inky black. And I mean black. Only the tiniest ruby hues show when held to the light. The thickness is almost menacing.

Smells are all coffee grounds up front. Fresh and nutty. Not overpowering. Chocolate pushes through as it warms. Muy excelente.

Tastes like coffee up front. Bitter and black. As it warms the coffee takes a side seat to the dark chocolate flavors. The coffee kicks in at the finish with a pleasing bitter roastiness.

Breakfast Stout is thick on the palate with low carbonation, and it really helps the experience. The smoothness allows the flavors to coat the palate for an utterly pleasing experience.

Drinkability is extremely high given the ABV. Wish I could pick one of these up before an early workday...without losing my job.

Nice work, Founders.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wow, here we go!

A: looks like melted chocolate with a frothy brown head. Looks extremely enticing.

S: Heavenly. Chocolate and coffee and happiness are overwhelming. in a good way though

T: Bitter chocolate and coffee, but not too bitter. Unlike a lot of beers this is bitter from the start and becomes sweeter as the flavors develop. Flavors linger for a while. This is a sipper.

M: Think and creamy. Stays on the palate for a while. Very full-bodied and heavy.

D: Hides the alcohol fairly well but is definitely not a session beer. I look forward to drinking the rest of the sixpack.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

12-oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Dense dark mahogany with a large thick medium reddish brown head, good retention, heavy lacing.

S = Coffee ground to an espresso fineness, some bitter dark cocoa powder, hints of pepper.

T = Fair amount of bitterness hits the tongue first and remains well into the taste, but by midpalate there is also a sweeter flavor of semisweet dark chocolate, other flavors include hints of molasses and treacle. Long finish.

M = Heavy body, very good mouthcoating, not overly aggressive carbonation, but definitely present

D = This is a very flavorful beer and I really enjoy drinking it, but it does perhaps coat the mouth too well and give just a bit too much flavor to really be of exceptional drinkability.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

At Pizzeria Paradiso yesterday.

As with all incarnations of the Breakfast Stout, this one's a stunner. Jet black, large creamy head that lasts for what seems to be an eternity, leaving tons of lace. On the nose, it's gorgeous, with a ton of chocolate and coffee. Not too sweet, and the coffee character is fantastic. On the palate, it opens up with a ton of chocolate and coffee, with the chocolate being more prominent than out of the bottle. The combination is just delectable. Some oatmeal flavor is present, adding to the wholesomeness of this beer. Medium bodied with an excellent finish with espresso and dark chocolate characteristics, it's awesome. The nitro-pour is a little disappointing, though - the first few sips are incredibly creamy, but as I wait for the beer to warm up, it turns to being a little flat and just a little watery. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my glass, and I wasn't leaving immediately, I'd have had another.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a cervoise.

Appearance: Pours an opaque dark chocolate, coffee-like color, almost black, letting no light through whatsoever save for the head. The consistency of the pour reminds me of two percent milk. There is about a finger of head which quickly disappears, but leaves nice lacing behind.

Smell: heavy coffee scent, and hints of dark chocolate, as well as raspberries, and wheat bread. To me, the coffee scent almost overwhelms the others, but it also blends well with the chocolate until they seem almost indistinguishable. It also gives off a smoky, charcoal scent as well as notes of tobacco.

Taste: The coffee taste is not too overwhelming--from the smell I was worried that it might be--and blends well. The coffee taste provides a little bitterness, but there is almost no alcohol-related bitter taste. There is some slight warming, which is nice on a beer with flavors this complex and heavy, but not really an alcohol taste. In fact, when chilled, it tastes almost like drinking a slightly heavier, very dark roast of ice coffee.

Mouthfeel: A decent amount of carbonation, but it lifts up the flavors. I honestly thought that this would not be as smooth as it is given the pour. I'm not exactly sure I like the carbonation, but I think that it's probably the best possible level. As it warms, the beer becomes almost creamy, and a little thicker going down.

Drinkability--Very smooth, especially for a dark beer. Like I said earlier, it's a lot like having ice coffee--a really chocolately, complex, delicious, alcoholic ice coffee, but...well, you get my drift. Very well done for the style and the ABV. I'm impressed.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

Reviewed today from a bottle from last year's release. I can tell because, it is a twist off cap and Founders has smartly moved to pry off. No freshness date, but I would bet this baby would age for a year just fine.

When I twisted off the cap, there was a resounding release of CO2. This was only confirmed by an incredibly active head even with a ginger pour of the bottle into a deep Hennepin glass. The head that formed was incredibly billowy. So much so that I had to wait 5 minutes to pour a bit more, then another 2 minutes to finish off the bottle. Pours an incredibly black fluid with only a slight hint of mahogony around the very edges. The previously mentioned billowy head took on a nice light brown color and left quite a froth atop the beer long after I was done pouring.

S: A whiff over the glass reveals an incredibly roasty coffee smell with hints of dates, chocolate, and melted caramel. The coffee tinge is dominant but not excessive.

T: Initial tastes reveal a strong roasty backbone with low-bitterness coffee and dark chocolate. As it warms the background allows hints of figs, cocoa, and singed toffee to shine through. The roasty finish is over powering and lingers long after your last sip.

Mouthfeel is somewhat slick but with ample carbonation to keep the beer dancing in your mouth.

D: This is a tough category. This beer doesn't shy away from full-frontal flavor (alliteration!). It grabs your taste buds and drags them through a bitter bath of 85% raw coffee grounds and 15% dark-a$$ chocolate. Then leaves you bleeding bitterness on your tongue for a good 95 seconds after you swallowed. I dig it. Apparently BAs dig it.

This is an awesome brew!! Definitely worth trying.

Pours dark with a very small brown head, which I like to see on a dark beer, it lets me know the amount of coffee and chocolate in it.

Smells like lots coffee and chocolate.

Taste is amazing! Tons of coffee and bitter dark chocolate, good bit of bitterness too. Very complex beer. Taste absolutely no alcohol, I double checked to make sure it said 8.3%

Mouthfeel is suprisingly smooth for the amount of flavor and the intense smell of this beer. This is actually a very smooth beer in my mind.

Easy to drink one maybe two but definitely not too many with the 8% and the way the beer fills your stomach.

I see why this is in the top 20 beers on the planet.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked up some of the new batch at Lakeview Binny's. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - Three fingers of medium-dark mocha foam that dissipates very slowly and leaves some patchy lacing. Black body with the tiniest sliver of dark brown at the bottom of the glass.

S - Dark roast coffee, baker's chocolate, roasted malts, light floral hoppiness, hint of tobacco and smoke, a little bit of dark fruits and vanilla. Pretty complex - it's what a coffee stout should taste like!

T - The taste has some pretty intense coffee bitterness, with more of a dark chocolate vibe happening. It's nicely balanced by sweet dark malts, vanilla, and a hint of fruit. Not as complex as the amazing smell (the light tobacco/smoke element is gone).

M - Low carbonation, super smooth and oatmealy, with a medium-thick body that's actually a little thinner than I remembered. It's like a slightly melted milkshake. Roasty and dry finish that I really like.

D - Damn, I put down most of this one in record time. The intense roastiness and slight coffee acidity might prevent me from having more than a few bottles, but this is super drinkable stuff.

This is one of those beers that I totally take for granted. I actually like this and KBS a lot more the Canadian Breakfast Stout.

4.38/5  rDev -2%

A- oily pour, black in color with a cappucino head.

S- Espresso wafts up as you pour. Upon further inspection: Deep roasted malt, dark chocolate, black pepper, and a faint hoppiness.

T- Starts out with a touch of sweet chocolate before turning dark and bitter. Robust coffee and tobacco.

M- Soft and creamy up front, finishes dry.

D- Try one with bacon and eggs, life changing.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

This brew is black, and struggles valiantly to deny any light in. A brown head has nice retention and leaves lacing thinly on the glass.
There's definitely some coffee in here, including a roasted / smoky aroma, but what's really gripping is an oak-like, surprisingly strong aroma of wood. There's some bitter cocoa in there as well.
The first thing on the tongue is roasted coffee beans with a bit of an acrid, smoky edge complimented by rich dark chocolate with a woody undertone. Underneath are some hops that add a nice earthy, herbal flavor. Notes of cooked oatmeal are definitely in here, especially the finish. The ABV is very well hidden underneath the flavors.
This brew is a thick one, with a full, rich body and a smooth motuhfeel. Carbonation is light.
You know the annoying guy who's always saying "That's what I'm talkin' bout!"? This is what he's talkin' bout.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Oh baby, this is a big beer. Appearance is very good- dark, dark black- no light coming through. Smell and taste are of toasted oats, java and other coffee beans, a slight alcohol burn and very bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel is good- nice and heavy with very little carbonation, beautiful. Drinkability is good given the style.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company