Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,685 | Ratings: 15,938
4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Very dark and thick with a large, dark head and plenty of lacing.

S: Coffee and chocolate, and a bit of alcohol.

T: Bittered chocolate and coffee flavors. Some mild sweetness and oatmeal notes underneath. Some hops make an appearance as well.

M: Very thick and chewy.

D: Everything gets better as it warms up--make sure to savor this one over an extended sitting.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Ktown67 for two of these bottles during an in person trade.

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown color that is mostly opaque, but lets some light through. There is no head whatsoever even with a vigorous pour; the exception is just a layer of bubbles on top that dissipates quickly. Lacing on the glass is awesome.

S: When cold there isn't much here but coffee. As it warms though it's fairly complex. Coffee, dark chocolate, unsweetened cocoa, and at the very last of my glass as it's warmed toffee comes through. This is really nice.

T: I can't believe how good this is. I should state that I am not a stout drinker. In fact I've never bought one for myself to have in the fridge. I've drank many at beer tastings, but this beer tastes phenomenal. The coffee is right there and up front, but it's like any good coffee. Smooth as silk, dark chocolate without any bitterness, and there is absolutely no lingering bitterness I typically associate with stouts. This beer is perfection among all I've tried in the style. I have zero complaints. It's just that good. And may I state again it's so smooth, like a great cup of coffee! I think this is best beer I've drank that would make a good ice cream float. Never cloying either. Just right.

M: Absolute perfection. Carbonation is nice and not overbearing which it shouldn't be in a stout. Coats the mouth, but not heavy or thick at all. Creamy as well. I don't think this could be improved.

D: I wanted another one, but since I only have two I'm saving it for another night. I REALLY wanted to drink the second one though. I could have 2, 3, 4 of these? Who knows. It's insanely drinkable. No hints of alcohol whatsoever.

Being that I'm not a stout drinker and typically avoid them, I want to state that ANYONE who likes beer (stout drinker or not) should absolutely seek out a 4 pack of this beer. It's phenomenal.

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

I was at the point of inputting my 100th review on this site and decided it would be appropriate to seek out a special beer, i.e. one that is rated very high on this site. So, here it goes.

This beer pours a dark black color and looks almost like motor oil being poured from the bottle to the glass. The head is foamy and tan but doesn't completely cover the surface. Mild coffee and slightly smoky roasted malt mose. Perhaps a touch of oatmeal on the nose. Thick mouthfeel follows a mostly creamy initial attack. The flavor starts off clean and straightforward and the most noteworty feature at first blush is the creaminess. It seems to be a little bit "boozy." As it lingers in the mouth the roasted flavors start to come out towards the finish and the aftertaste. I can pick up chocolate very late and probably in fact in the aftertaste. The coffee flavors carry the day late in the flavor for sure. It actually causes me to flip back in my beer notes to a beer that I had a couple months ago from Flat Earth Brewing in Saint Paul, MN called Black Helicopter Coffee stout. I think that I had really hyped this beer up in my mind because of its reputation on this site, and its tough to live up to that much hype. Its good, but I have had stouts that I have enjoyed more. I actually thought it drank more like a porter. My wife and I had this together and she seemed to enjoy it more than I did. I just think it was the hype. Definitely a good beer and worth everyone giving it a try. I don't want to be too glum.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours very dark brown like coffee with about one finger of brown head. The lacing is really nice.

S: Strong notes of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt come through.

T: Wow, this is certainly different. Starts with a mixed taste of chocolate and chocolate, like a mocha latte. A slight flavor of alcohol hits the palette next, followed by a taste of roasted malt. The malt flavor is followed by some bitterness, not from hops, but of the coffee. It finishes very similarly to a cup of joe, it shares the same aftertaste as coffee, except the stout finishes with a bit of booze as well. I was kinda surprised how much coffee flavor was in this beer, it's almost as if I got it at Starbucks and ordered a stout latte (which would actually give me a reason to go to Starbucks).

D: As with all stouts of this type. I could maybe drink two before I'd have to move to something lighter. It does go down really nice a smooth though.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz. bottle > brandy snifter

The color is Jet-black. It's black liquid with only my own face reflecting back at me. hold it up to direct light and there is some dark brown shading so it's not really opaque. The head is a macho-looking dark brown color with even darker tinting splattered throughout. It rises at least 2" high and it falls flat on it's face with a hefty amount of thick lacing. and it's a really intricate pattern the lace creates, nice too look at for sure!

Oh yeah, it's a robust nose!! Fresh roastie coffee, oats and grains, grainy-heat, thick, malty sweetness with peanutbutter, and very dark chocolate. It's rounded out very well with herbs and subtle spices deep down. It doesn't get any more aromatic than this!

This is a full, hefty malt body with huge complexity. roastie Hawaiin coffee, thick grains, hardy oats, with a very thick and heady oatmeal effect. This brings in the that wonderful full feeling! This is basically a meal ina mini-snifter! slight fruity sweetness deep in the malt and a sublime balance with all of the flavor's. The hops provide a dry, herbal and earthy finish with a mild heat that only adds further complexity. The feel is amazing, round but dry just like a traditional big stout should be.

Oh boy, this is the real deal. classic in every aspect.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Glass: Brandy Snifter

A: Thick and dark. Creamy tan head.

S: Aromas of coffee, slight vanilla, chocolate.

T: Wonderful creamy mouth feel, lots of coffee, both bitter and sweet, some chocolate and oatmeal notes.

M: Low carbonation and wonderful thick and syrupy.

D: Would go nice with dessert or have just a meal by itself. . .

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

this brew pours up black as endless space with a wet wood brown head. the nose is fresh oatmeal never touched, coffee beans labored by human hands, and irresistible chocolate as if you have lived 25 years and you are tasting chocolate for the first time. But then, you haven't really lived at all....yet. it tastes the same as it smells. But wow. Damn good. I think even Edgar Allan Poe would be at writer's block upon tasting this divine concoction. Very roasty malts, nice bitter coffee, full bodied, medium carbo. In a way, its similar to having a cool summer breeze blow gently across your face as your feet hang down into a nice lukewarm body of water and not a care in the world crosses into your nirvana state of mind.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a brandy snifter for lunch today.

A: Dark and almost as thick as Hersey's syrup. No light coming through this beer, even near the edge of the glass. A nice creamy tan head sitting on top.

S: Very appetizing coffee and chocolate.

T: Wow, a lot more coffee than I was expecting. Bitter, chocolaty, but smooth and creamy. Really nice.

M: Great, so great. Smooth, low carbonation, just really nice.

D: It went so fast, super easy to drink. Might be a little rich to drink too much too often.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip at 58 degrees.

This one is pitch black with a light cocoa colored head. The nose is huge with fresh coffee and dark chocolate. Tons of espresso and rich gooey chocolate on the palate. A hit of hops at the end. Really long finish. The body is big, but not huge. Very smooth, very creamy. Really delicous. I could see trying this for breakfast at some point, too. Will intend on picking up a 4-pack each year - great stuff!

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Decided to have one for breakfast today. I'm about to go to bed though. I work nights.

A - Black as sin and thick as hell. Beautiful. Just a smattering of head that fades almost instantly. Could use a larger head but it's hard to complain.

S - Rich malt, coffee and hints of chocolate. I was really hoping for a little more out of this.

T - Mostly coffee with the oatmeal coming in second. The chocolate melds in there well and it has a slight bitter finish. Just a touch of alcohol.

M - Thick and chewy just like I love it.

D - It's a bit rich but the flavor makes you want to keep going.

3.85/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: black with a minimal head

Smell:burnt malt, dark coffee, small note of chocolate

Taste: expresso, grain, small chocolate, with a bready aftertaste

Mouthfeel: heavy body, thick, and bitter

Drinkability: The first few sips were harsh, but I found myself liking this more and more as I drunk it. This is a heavy stout that is a sipper. I could have two and will have this again. I do like KBS better though.

3.93/5  rDev -12.1%

Received in BIF from Alan, thanks a bundle man. Bottle consumed on 4/13.

Pours a beautiful dark with nice dark brown head that rapidly leaves. Smell is decent with strong dark chocolate sense. The flavor is intense, with an incredibly dark coffee roast dominating, and an equally dark chocolate rounding it out. Its smooth and not syrupy like other breakfast stouts I've had as of late. If there's a downside to the drink, it is that its quite heavy, and I couldn't see myself having more than one or two of these in a night.

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a deep seductive black, fluffy tan head that fades pretty fast.

Smells like coffee, oats, roasted nuts, all sorts of earthy herbal scents.

Smooth, thick, creamy, wow, this is wonderful. Everything I expected is there, coffee and roasted malts in abundance, smooth oatmeal. I am in awe of this beer.

That, and the 8% ABV is well hidden, I could drink these all day long.

3.98/5  rDev -11%

A= Pours like oil. A surprisingly pleasant one finger head comes from it that's a darker brown color leaving great lacing and lasts throughout the entire drink.
S= Chocolate and coffee dominate mostly chocolate though. I swear I can actually smell eggs though. I don't believe it myself but I think I do.
T= SOOO much coffee. but nothing like the coffee bender. Really beery while being coffee like. very good chocolate character as well. A small amount of smokiness is also present
M= Average carb and a dry finish
D= Pretty good. I'm liking it but I don't know if it's as good as everyone says. Great beer don't get me wrong but I dunno about how AMAZING it is.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Pours a thick black with a huge foamy tan head. Solid retention and lacing.

S- Alcohol lingers in the glass. Notes of coffee and dark sweet chocolate.

T- Sweet and chocolatey, slightly burnt coffee. Kind of woody.... The malty sweetness is fantastically balanced with a pleasant grassy hoppiness.

M- Super smooth and creamy. This brew is like liquid silk on the palate. Carbonation is perfect, alcohol is well hidden, ful bodied without being syrupy.

D- Excellent!!! This is one hell of a brew, well worth a try.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

Founders Breakfast Stout is more commonly a Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. For my personal preferences, it is very strong. I had a Founders Imperial Stout alongside a Breakfast Stout and I found the Imperial Stout to be much more drinkable despite the higher ABV. Dont get me wrong. This is a sweet beer that I would drink any day of the week, just not quite the Founder RIS...My Fave.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Chimay chalise at cellar temperature.

A-Deep opaque brown black like dirty motor oil. This thing looked black even in the pour. Dark tan head that froths up in the glass and subsides with sticky lacing. Looks enticing.

S-Burnt cocoa mocha with some sweet spice and a whiff of alcohol.

T-Utterly creamy sticky sweet vanilla hits the palate first, followed by bittersweet chocolate covered roasted dark coffee beans and a pleasing bitter aftertaste. Astounding...

M-Thick and creamy and chewy. I can't imagine a better mouthfeel for this style and taste....delish

D-This is extremely drinkable, but probably will not have another back to back as it would lose some of its impact, but this one is indeed a keeper. A good session opener or dessert beer...(or breakfast beer?)

This is a great treat, especially for those moments when I need a chocolate fix or a coffee taste fix, or both.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

1000th Review for this beer... awesome!

Poured a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Seeing the kid eating oatmeal on the label is making me laugh, cause the guy at the liquor store thought the kid looked like the "gerber baby" so he kept calling it "that baby beer." If only...

A: Poured a jet black into my glass, sluggish, sloshing into the bottom. When you hold it up to the light you only get the faintest bit of a deep ruby color along the edges, otherwise, this beer is completely opaque. When the light reflects off the surface of the beer, it really does resemble motor oil or sludge.... Thick! Absolutely no head... not even a tease of a tan bubbles across the top. Slight lacing down the sides of the glass

S: Massive roasted coffee aromas fire the opening salvo on the nose - that of the deep, dark roast variety; through the rush of heavy roast, smoke and charred notes comes a fleeting moment of sweetness - I'm convinced it is vanilla; I'm also detecting an underlying sweetness akin to dark, bittersweet chocolate, as it tries to temper the huge roasted blast on the nose. Otherwise, this stout is as close to a warm mug of black coffee as that profile dominates from the outset.

T: Much like the nose, huge roasted notes right out of the gate; the bite from a heavy roast coffee bean flavor is front and center, followed by a rush of bittersweet baker's chocolate to lend some supporting sweetness. Mid sip the complexities kick into overdrive: the oats coming through provide a slightly sweet, creaminess that weaves into a charred/smoky flavor, like lingering cigar smoke; then there is a hint of dark fruit - like chocolate-covered cherries. A secondary wave of residual coffee bitterness rides long through the finish, which is slightly dry and gradually warming... obviously the alcohol is quickly making its presence known.

M: Full bodied. This beer has a low, but nicely measured, carbonation which leaves a slightly prickly sensation across the tongue - just enough to cut through the oily weight on the palate. Perhaps a bit chewy, but not nearly as thick as other imperial stouts I have tried.

D: At 8.3%, this beer does have some kick to it - a warming sensation without feeling overly boozy. The waves of roasted coffee and chocolate flavors try to hold off the alcohol as long as they can, but it slowly creeps in near the end of the glass to remind you that this is an imperial stout after all. Drinkability is quite nice for 8%+ ABV stout, but I think this is best enjoyed as a sipper. Top shelf this stout, one that deserves its praise and one I would definitely seek out again, even if a tad pricier than some competitors ($12+ for 4).

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Wow what a beer! Chocolate timess a few!!!

this beer is smooth super, chocolate comes through on so many levels. The abv, is fairly well hidden for sure. Very complex flavor. Easy to understand on first sip. Thick, dark, sweet, heavenly~!!

Grab a 4 pack of this is your taste calls for a thick body, and sweet overall characteristics.

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

My very first review. Finally got to try this beer. Pours pitch black with brown head. I mainly got coffee aromas. The taste was quite smooth with tastes of coffee and bitter choclate. I was hoping for a little more balance. I enjoyed this beer but I thought the Kentucky Bourban Breakfast Stout is better. Definetely a very good double/imperial stout. I still think Alesmith Speedway, Victory Storm King, Brooklyn Black Choclate Stout, and Southern Tier Choklat are better beers

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Acquired in my first trade, with theghost3. Served at cellar temp in a tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - A deep, powerful black with a thin, quick dissipating dark brown head. Leaves a decent bit of lacing.

S - Lots of fresh roasted coffee and chocolate with a backing of sweet & bitter toffee.

T - Less intense than I expected, but still nicely flavored. Once again, the coffee and chocolate are upfront in all their oily, dark glory. Tastes like more of the bitterness comes from the coffee, little hops on the aftertaste. The oatmeal seems to keep things balanced, with a nice hint of sweetness on the finish.

M - Surprisingly mild on body, with the fairly heavy weight and active carbonation balancing it to slightly syrupy with a smooth feel.

D - The 8% ABV is hidden well and the bitterness is no more rough on the palate than a cup of good, dark coffee. Could definitely have another of these if I had more; would be great for a Sunday breakfast or brunch.

Overall - I wanted to try this one before I went full bore and asked around for the big brother, KBS. I definitely enjoyed this brew though. It's complex yet well balanced, and loaded with rich coffee flavor. Must seek out more.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

Had this on Tap in a goblet at the Kite and Key in Philly. Started off the night right.

Had a nice thick head over a black body. Strong coffee aroma. Felt thick and creamy to the tongue, finished a little dry but not so much as I immediately needed another drink.

Good coffee and burnt chocolate flavors hit me immediately. Solid malt profile. Definitely lived up to the hype on BA but didn't surpass it.

As the name suggets, I think this would be a good breakfast beer with a cinnamon french toast drenched in maple syrup.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I have waited ages to try this beer and finally, I am able to. Poured up absolutely black with a light brown 2 finger head that stayed in place for several minutes; looks terrific! Smell is wonderful with coffee dominating and a slight earthiness detectable deep down. Taste is coffee flavours from start to finish with a slight earthy hop bitterness augmenting the coffee on the finish. Mouthfeel is quite heavy with *just* enough carbonation. Terrific and worthy of 5,0 in my opinion! The 8,3%abv is rather well concealed, too, making this very drinkable (all things considered). A very well crafted stout that represents the style well. I'll certainly seek this out in the future.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Why oh why does Founders insist on twist off caps on everything they produce? Not a good idea but quite the enjoyable brew.

A massive nimbus, fluffy, tan, cloud in my nonic on St Pats day. Pours sludge-like. A suprisingly mild nose, but I get chocolate and molasses. More chocolate as it warms and after a few swirls. Thick mouthfeel and also tastes like a chocolate shake. Mild coffe grind bite in the finish. This is thick and chewy like a fat slice of bread. A deliciusly drinkable treat. A little milder than expected, but I like that. Porterish and enjoyable double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Obtained thru trade with Gibby in PA. Thanks.

Appearance- Pours a thin brown head with poor retention and next to no lacing, bubbles dissipate much like soda. Beer is an opaque black.

Smell- Bitter chocolates and roasty coffee

Taste- First coffee than lots of bitter chocolate and a finally roasty bitter malt flavor that carries on.

Mouthfeel- Moderately carbonated, yet the bubbles have too much fizz for stout. Palate coating flavor.

Drinkability- Lots of bitterness and alcohol tamp down drinkability.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company